I know CRT TV's will make a comeback in the future!

#1 Posted by ilovecassettes (8 posts) -

I know that analog CRT TV's will make a comeback in the future for classic gaming, VHS, and DVD use.. I have two 27" Sony Trinitron tube TV's in excellent working condition. One of these TV' s is being used around one hour per day most of the time. I play my Atari 2600, watch videos I made from my Sony standard definition camcorder on DVD, and make DVD slideshows from pictures I have taken with my Olympus DSLR. I also down convert my videos from my camcorder to my VCR VHS tapes. My other TV is not being use at this time. I am saving it just in case the TV I am using now goes out and beyond repair. I like retro video games, VHS, DVD, and see CRT TV's come back to the production line in the future. I will not switch from a tube TV to any modern flat panel technologies at all. I like old technologies a lot.

#2 Posted by xboxiphoneps3 (2291 posts) -

ok

#3 Posted by Doozie78 (169 posts) -

What a pointless thing to do, going back to shitty tech like this. I hope you realize that CRT's are never coming back. I do love some retro games but man, I can't even force myself to consider a return to 90 pound 27" tv's, blech.

#4 Edited by Serraph105 (27824 posts) -

Eh I'm more or less for any innovation in technology that means we wind up using less resources not only for practical reasons like easier lifting, but also because the world has a limited amount of resources.

It's the practical reasons like weight and being able to better see the screen that makes me think you are wrong about CRT television sets.

#5 Posted by Dogswithguns (10705 posts) -

I still have that Sony Trinitron 27" myself in good shape, not using it tho but sometimes oneday maybe... I play my PS2 and DVD player movies on my LCD instead, better quality pics, thin and light, overall... the idea of tube TVs coming back no just no.

#6 Posted by Gaming-Planet (13998 posts) -

Or you could just play with emulators or download the app of that game, since games are heading into a DRM-only market.

#7 Posted by SolidSnake35 (58095 posts) -

The problem is... it will break. And then you're screwed. I have no plans to buy consoles from this generation, but eventually my 360 will pop its clogs and there won't be any available to buy.

#8 Posted by VaguelyTagged (10129 posts) -

as someone who is addicted to how VHS pictures looked, i very much hope your prophecy comes true.

#9 Posted by evildead6789 (7513 posts) -

I know that analog CRT TV's will make a comeback in the future for classic gaming, VHS, and DVD use.. I have two 27" Sony Trinitron tube TV's in excellent working condition. One of these TV' s is being used around one hour per day most of the time. I play my Atari 2600, watch videos I made from my Sony standard definition camcorder on DVD, and make DVD slideshows from pictures I have taken with my Olympus DSLR. I also down convert my videos from my camcorder to my VCR VHS tapes. My other TV is not being use at this time. I am saving it just in case the TV I am using now goes out and beyond repair. I like retro video games, VHS, DVD, and see CRT TV's come back to the production line in the future. I will not switch from a tube TV to any modern flat panel technologies at all. I like old technologies a lot.

To a certain extent you have a point. I have an lacie elektron 22 blue III which gives the best quality image of all my screens and I have an ips monitor.

The problem with these things are space and weight. The beast weighs 60 pounds and takes up a lot of room. I still have it though.

If I could get a big widescreen and I would have the room and the furniture to support this behemoth I would certainly consider it. The monitor I have now also supports higher resolutions than 1080p.

So yeah people who laugh with you are actually wrong, however, you say you play old games on it, yeah that maybe be nice buy my blue lacie plays modern games better as wel.

I don't understand your love for vhs and old tv tubes though. maybe for older games and movies, but for todays tech i prefer hd discs and hdtvs. The crt monitor is something different here, because they support higher resolutions as well, like i said the only problem there is space and weight.

#10 Posted by alim298 (1221 posts) -

You can always use different softwares to mimic the look of a crt tv. Like sweetfx for instance. I use it and I agree often times it gives the games a new vibe.

#11 Posted by sukraj (22177 posts) -

crt tv's are too bulky

#12 Posted by Iszdope (9679 posts) -

I'm typing from the future.

No, just no.

#13 Posted by sukraj (22177 posts) -

@Iszdope said:

No, just no.

have u been watching back to the future bruv.

#14 Edited by Iszdope (9679 posts) -

@sukraj said:

@Iszdope said:

No, just no.

No, I'm really in the future man (Australia).

#15 Posted by Boddicker (2535 posts) -

Yeah, maybe after the apocalypse CRT TV's will make a comeback,

#16 Posted by bforrester420 (1371 posts) -

Unlike fashion, technology is not cyclical.

#17 Posted by sukraj (22177 posts) -

@Iszdope said:

@sukraj said:

@Iszdope said:

No, just no.

No, I'm really in the future man (Australia).

cool

#18 Posted by l34052 (3125 posts) -

CRT tv was good in its day but things have moved along since so why continue to live in the past.

I remember many years ago we had a 33" 4:3 tv and it was so big it took up an entire corner of the room it was in, it must have been about 3ft deep and weighed just over a 100lb so once in place it stayed there.

I have no desire to go back to that situation thank you very much!!

#19 Posted by whipassmt (13996 posts) -

It does seem like the tube tv's last longer than the flatscreens, but I think flatscreens are cheaper. I don't think the tube tvs will come back on a large-scale, maybe a niche market, because they are heavier and take up more space, plus they have more glare. On the plus side I think tube tvs are easier to clean since it's just glass. I do like the way the tube tv's look, and when I picture riots in my mind I picture folks stealing tube tvs, not flat screens.

#20 Posted by l34052 (3125 posts) -

It does seem like the tube tv's last longer than the flatscreens, but I think flatscreens are cheaper. I don't think the tube tvs will come back on a large-scale, maybe a niche market, because they are heavier and take up more space, plus they have more glare. On the plus side I think tube tvs are easier to clean since it's just glass. I do like the way the tube tv's look, and when I picture riots in my mind I picture folks stealing tube tvs, not flat screens.

I dont think they will return, even for a niche market the production costs just wouldnt be worth it for a small segement of the market like that when compared to current flat screens.

Personally i have no problem with that, i currently have a sammy d8000 plasma which im holding onto until OLED becomes affordable for us mere mortals hopefully in the next 5 years.

#21 Posted by YearoftheSnake5 (7219 posts) -

Those old things that make the atrocious static noise and weigh a ton? Yeah, I doubt that will be making a comeback.

#22 Posted by foxhound_fox (87754 posts) -

So will Betamax I tell you!

The weight of the CRT television alone will keep it extinct. 60" televisions these days weigh 50-70 lbs. A CRT of the equivalent size weighed upwards of 400-500 lbs (my uncle had a Mitsubishi CRT projection television back in the early 1990's of that size range and it took 4 guys to bring it down to his basement).

Television manufacturers will sooner introduce an analog signal module (that somehow displays RF signals natively) than go back to the bulky CRT design.

#23 Edited by whipassmt (13996 posts) -

@l34052 said:

@whipassmt said:

I dont think they will return, even for a niche market the production costs just wouldnt be worth it for a small segement of the market like that when compared to current flat screens.

Personally i have no problem with that, i currently have a sammy d8000 plasma which im holding onto until OLED becomes affordable for us mere mortals hopefully in the next 5 years.

Yeah. I didn't think of that. They probably would be expensive to produce.

#24 Edited by angeldeb82 (1029 posts) -

I have a Daewoo flatscreen CRT TV DTQ-14U5SC, and it's been in my room since over 10 years ago.

This pic is very small, I know.

#25 Posted by pyro1245 (572 posts) -

CRTs only had one appealing feature: degause

#26 Posted by PS4hasNOgames (1396 posts) -

you know old school gaming looks better on an HDTV right? All you have to do is go to the tv settings and set it to 4:3 ratio so it won't look all stretched out.

fail thread.

#27 Posted by foxhound_fox (87754 posts) -

@pyro1245 said:

CRTs only had one appealing feature: degause

Enjoy:

#28 Edited by Jag85 (4401 posts) -

The only reason you might want a CRT is to play retro games, or old videos (sub-HD interlaced DVD's, VHS tapes, Betamax tapes). These media were originally designed around the CRT's scanlines and phosphor luminescence/smoothing effects, which modern HDTV's lack, hence a lot of retro games and videos end up looking pixelated on HDTV's. If you don't have any retro stuff to play though, then there's no point to a CRT.

#29 Posted by pyro1245 (572 posts) -
#30 Posted by joehult (363 posts) -

In the 80s, we(my family and relatives) were getting about 8 to 10 years out of various crts, they would usually lose their color. During the 90s, the electronic boards would last maybe 5 years. The last crt tv my grand parents owned, died in 2010, it had a 12 year life.

My parents bought their first plasma in 2004, died three years later during a move. I've owned a sanyo lcd since 2007, still going strong. We are probably averaging five years on lcds, which is close to the failure rate we were getting towards the end of the crt run.

#31 Posted by Jacanuk (4229 posts) -

Sometimes i wish trolls would actually try and not just make it as obvious as TS.

#32 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -

I need to find me a nice CRT TV. I am about to buy a Playstation 1 and need one for it.