I just don't get the Blade Runner praise.

• 53 results
MikeHockbourns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 MikeHockbourns
Member since 2014 • 754 Posts

Its a decent movie, but I don't think its anything to bow down to. I've seen MANY sci fi movies that are loads better. And I'm a movie buff, don't think Im some little kid who doesn't know what he's talking about, I've watched thousands of films in my lifetime from every genre and every decade. Blade Runner is decent but I think overrated, I mean what makes it so special? I like the gritty look of the future, but you have flying cars and still have tube tv's? lol cmon man

Brutal_Elitegs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Brutal_Elitegs
Member since 2004 • 16426 Posts

Name those sci-fi movies.

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 SaintLeonidas
Member since 2006 • 26735 Posts

NO!? You telling me you have a personal opinion on a film that differs from other people? That is down right crazy talk! And please **** off with this "I'm a film buff so I know what I am talking about" bullshit.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#4 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58938 Posts

IMO Rocky 3 is better.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#5 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

That's ok, I feel the same way about some "heavyweights" too. Like what you like and discard what you don't.

Anyways, OP, what are some of your favorites Sci-fi films?

MikeHockbourns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 MikeHockbourns

@Brutal_Elitegs said:

Alien, Aliens, 2001, the matrix, star wars (the first 3, or last 3 depending on how you look at it lol not the recent crap) District 9, Inception, planet of the apes, terminator 1 and 2, wrath of khan.

don't get me wrong its a decent to good movie I just don't get why SOOOO many people and sites put it as #1. I think they all just jumped on the bandwagon.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36039 Posts

I've been meaning to see that film ever since I read Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38677 Posts

watched it once and only remember being bored.... maybe i'll give it another shot at some point in the ( distant ) future.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

@mikehockbourns said:

@Brutal_Elitegs said:

Alien, Aliens, 2001, the matrix, star wars (the first 3, or last 3 depending on how you look at it lol not the recent crap) District 9, Inception, planet of the apes, terminator 1 and 2, wrath of khan.

don't get me wrong its a decent to good movie I just don't get why SOOOO many people and sites put it as #1. I think they all just jumped on the bandwagon.

Inception, better than Blade Runner?

lol

Maybe study some film analysis, so you can see why Blade Runner is a deep movie with relevant themes. Inception is an action movie parading around a gimmick, rather poorly at that. If you thought that was better, you seem to be easily impressed by cheap action (unlike most film buffs...).

xdude85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 xdude85
Member since 2006 • 6559 Posts

Blade Runner examines on what it truly means to be human, and what defines life in general.

Is it our biology and genetics, or our consciousness and emotions?

The film is supposed to leave you thinking about this stuff.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

@Serraph105 said:

I've been meaning to see that film ever since I read Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep.

Go for it but don't expect a straight adaptation - Blade Runner is VERY different to Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep.

lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 65

#12 lightleggy
Member since 2008 • 16090 Posts

@mikehockbourns said:

Its a decent movie, but I don't think its anything to bow down to. I've seen MANY sci fi movies that are loads better. And I'm a movie buff, don't think Im some little kid who doesn't know what he's talking about, I've watched thousands of films in my lifetime from every genre and every decade. Blade Runner is decent but I think overrated, I mean what makes it so special? I like the gritty look of the future, but you have flying cars and still have tube tv's? lol cmon man

Its an old film, most old films aged terribly. Rosemary's baby and 2001 a space odissey come to mind.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

@lightleggy said:

@mikehockbourns said:

Its an old film, most old films aged terribly. Rosemary's baby and 2001 a space odissey come to mind.

What the ****

2001 still looks better than most films released these days as does Blade Runner. The practical effects in those films are magic.

MikeHockbourns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 MikeHockbourns

@KHAndAnime said:

@mikehockbourns said:

@Brutal_Elitegs said:

Inception, better than Blade Runner?

lol

Maybe study some film analysis, so you can see why Blade Runner is a deep movie with relevant themes. Inception is an action movie parading around a gimmick, rather poorly at that. If you thought that was better, you seem to be easily impressed by cheap action (unlike most film buffs...).

well its only slightly better.

Shadow4020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Shadow4020
Member since 2007 • 2097 Posts

I really liked it. Which version did you watch? I personally like the Final Cut, because I didn't like the voice overs or the forced ending.

zassimick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

#16  Edited By zassimick  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 10470 Posts

I saw the movie for the first time last year and was disappointed, but I can see why many people praise the movie. Another classic that I felt this way about was Citizen Kane. I can appreciate what the movie is and what it has done, but I really did not like it.

But that's okay. We all have different tastes. It's just that mine are worse.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

@mikehockbourns said:

No problem with someone thinking that the movie is overrated (or even flatout sucks), but that's a pretty silly thing to be complaining about.

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#18 Behardy24
Member since 2014 • 5324 Posts

I haven't watched that movie in a very long time and I have always wanted to give it a serious watch. I've been looking for a blu-ray copy when I visit the Target movie section but come up empty handed every time. Advice I heard from another forum about that movie is to re-watch it once or twice more to really appreciate it and enjoy it.(I can't say if that will actually do the trick, but when I do pick up a copy that is exactly what I'll be doing)

Avatar image for LostProphetFLCL
LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 LostProphetFLCL
Member since 2006 • 18526 Posts

@Aljosa23 said:

@lightleggy said:

@mikehockbourns said:

What the ****

2001 still looks better than most films released these days as does Blade Runner. The practical effects in those films are magic.

In terms of special effects, John Carpenters The Thing>>>>>all.

Film is over 30 years old and yet it's special effects shit all over everything released these days. That is just God damn incredible.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19570 Posts

Thematically, it's excellent. The production design and music are top notch.

...but I have to say it: the pacing is all over the place, and the awkward re-edits and unsynced line dubs really bring the film down a notch.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#21 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

IMO Rocky 3 is better.

yeah u can't beat Rocky

drinkerofjuice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#23 drinkerofjuice
Member since 2007 • 4567 Posts

@LostProphetFLCL said:

@Aljosa23 said:

@lightleggy said:

@mikehockbourns said:

What the ****

Film is over 30 years old and yet it's special effects shit all over everything released these days. That is just God damn incredible.

Eh, no. Not really. The effects have clearly aged, and I love the movie. 2001 and Blade Runner run circles around it in that regard.

lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By lightleggy

@Aljosa23 said:

@lightleggy said:

@mikehockbourns said:

What the ****

I never said anything about effects. The writing, acting and general direction is corny as ****. Same goes with star wars movies, you rewatch them and they are full of cringe-worthy moments.

sammyjenkis898

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By sammyjenkis898
Member since 2007 • 28392 Posts
@lightleggy said:

@Aljosa23 said:

What the ****

I never said anything about effects. The writing, acting and general direction is corny as ****. Same goes with star wars movies, you rewatch them and they are full of cringe-worthy moments.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts

Each their cup of tea.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#27 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Considering the number of cuts out there and some of them not being very good, this is entirely understandable.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#28 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@mikehockbourns said:

If all you got from Blade Runner was that it has Tube tv´s and flying cars, i can see why the movie flew straight over your head and went past the no return sign.

Blade Runner is about the story and how the actors portray that story and its still one of the best sci-fiction movies out there.

redstorm72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#29 redstorm72
Member since 2008 • 4646 Posts

Yeah, it's one of those "smart" movies. If you like to over analyze things and discuss how deep and profound things are, you'll love it. If you are one of those people (like me) who watch movies as an escape and to be entertained, then it will probably bore you with its heavy handed "LOOK HOW DEEP I'M BEING!!!" moments and poor pacing.

MikeHockbourns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 MikeHockbourns

@Jacanuk said:

@mikehockbourns said:

If all you got from Blade Runner was that it has Tube tv´s and flying cars, i can see why the movie flew straight over your head and went past the no return sign.

Blade Runner is about the story and how the actors portray that story and its still one of the best sci-fiction movies out there.

yea sure lol. that shit sucks and is boring.

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

i would not say it is my fav of all time but it is easily in the top ten.

plus you liked inception.

if you want to call out an over rated pop culture sci fi movie that is the 1st place to start.

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

@LostProphetFLCL said:

@Aljosa23 said:

@lightleggy said:

@mikehockbourns said:

What the ****

my favorite part of the whole movie is the first 5 mins when the dog arrives with the guys are chasing it.

the guy is screaming in norwegian, "kill it! it's not a dog it's an alien!!!" (or something like that)

they give away the whole thing to the crew and could have killed it right off the bat but nobody spoke norwegian.

i always thought that was a nice touch.

Avatar image for LostProphetFLCL
LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 LostProphetFLCL
Member since 2006 • 18526 Posts

@Riverwolf007 said:

@LostProphetFLCL said:

@Aljosa23 said:

@lightleggy said:

@mikehockbourns said:

What the ****

my favorite part of the whole movie is the first 5 mins when the dog arrives with the guys are chasing it.

the guy is screaming in norwegian, "kill it! it's not a dog it's an alien!!!" (or something like that)

they give away the whole thing to the crew and could have killed it right off the bat but nobody spoke norwegian.

i always thought that was a nice touch.

That movie in general is just damn amazing. I still can't believe they pulled off the different transformations in that movie all the way in the early 80's. Beats out CGI anyday.

Ross_the_Boss6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Ross_the_Boss6
Member since 2009 • 4056 Posts

It's not for everyone. I still think it's the best looking sci-fi film to date. No movie has created a more believable world.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By uninspiredcup

@magicalclick said:

At least the walls are real. I am so tired of actors pretending to navigate around imaginary walls. And glowing fake walls are already distracted enough on top of some very fake acting. I don't blame the actor. The wall wasn't there.

Absolutely; Blade Runner to this day is one of the most beautiful movies made imo.

Regarding the discussion about the themes, I always thought it was about dealing with the inevitability of death. Seems like every character in the movie meets; or is about to meet there end. The ending as well seems to indicate they are on borrowed time.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

I thought Blade Runner was awesome

2001 is the cult sci-fi film that I find unappealing.

Brutal_Elitegs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Brutal_Elitegs

@lightleggy said:

The writing, acting and general direction is corny as ****.

C'mon man, expand on that. How is 2001 and Blade Runner corny?

rabakill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#39  Edited By rabakill
Member since 2004 • 884 Posts

The pacing was awful, I tried to watch Blade Runner 3 times and fell asleep every time

spoiler

oh he's an android too, wow, whoopadee doo, too bad the movie was so boring I couldn't get to that point.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 uninspiredcup

@rabakill said:

The pacing was awful, I tried to watch Blade Runner 3 times and fell asleep every time

spoiler

oh he's an android too, wow, whoopadee doo, too bad the movie was so boring I couldn't get to that point.

Still a better review than IGN.

TheFlush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#41 TheFlush
Member since 2002 • 5965 Posts

@Brutal_Elitegs said:

• 2001: A Space Odyssey
  • Gattaca
  • Dark City
  • Cube
  • Brazil
  • Solaris (the original)
  • Stalker
  • Her
  • Pi
  • Primer
  • Upstream Color
  • Event Horizon
  • Alien
  • The Thing
  • ExistenZ

all better.

lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By lightleggy

@sammyjenkis898 said:
@lightleggy said:

@Aljosa23 said:

What the ****

you were saying?

Brutal_Elitegs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Brutal_Elitegs

@lightleggy:

How does that show that the writing, acting and general direction is corny as ****?

lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 lightleggy

@Brutal_Elitegs said:

@lightleggy:

How does that show that the writing, acting and general direction is corny as ****?

Those are some pretty shitty and cringe-worthy direction decisions, why the hell show up that laughable baby? it just ruins the seriousness of the movie, same goes with the rosemary's baby demon eyes scene, it just sucks. No different than the scenes from star wars were characters calmly sit down to chat while they're being gunned down by stormtroopers at the death star (who constantly miss the shots).

Avatar image for deactivated-5e9044657a310
deactivated-5e9044657a310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 deactivated-5e9044657a310
Member since 2005 • 8136 Posts

Blade Runner was pretty radical for it's time.

But so many games, movies, shows, have ripped off it's design and tone the last 30 years that even though it was the original, it's tough for it to hold up.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e9044657a310
deactivated-5e9044657a310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 deactivated-5e9044657a310
Member since 2005 • 8136 Posts

@TheFlush said:

@Brutal_Elitegs said:

• Gattaca
  • Dark City
  • Cube
  • Brazil
  • Solaris (the original)
  • Stalker
  • Her
  • Pi
  • Primer
  • Upstream Color
  • Event Horizon
  • Alien
  • The Thing
  • ExistenZ

all better.

Most of those movies wouldn't have existed without Blade Runner

Brutal_Elitegs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Brutal_Elitegs

@lightleggy said:

Those are some pretty shitty and cringe-worthy direction decisions, why the hell show up that laughable baby? it just ruins the seriousness of the movie, same goes with the rosemary's baby demon eyes scene, it just sucks. No different than the scenes from star wars were characters calmly sit down to chat while they're being gunned down by stormtroopers at the death star (who constantly miss the shots).

So it's because of that one artistic decision, that is congruous with the themes of the film hitherto, that you think makes the whole film corny?

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#48 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts

Just rewatched it again last night. Easily one of the best sci-fi movies out there.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

Was a good movie.....good representative for the genre. TC...that's like just your opinion man.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

@TheFlush said:

@Brutal_Elitegs said:

• Gattaca
  • Dark City
  • Cube
  • Brazil
  • Solaris (the original)
  • Stalker
  • Her
  • Pi
  • Primer
  • Upstream Color
  • Event Horizon
  • Alien
  • The Thing
  • ExistenZ

all better.

Anyone who thinks Cube or Her are better movies than Blade Runner literally have a major brain dysfunction. Ask anywhere. Cube is a B-movie with crap acting, bad writing, bad effects, etc.

Her doesn't even have a plot (a plot is supposed to have a problem and resolution, Her is just a commercial about a dude falling in love with his computer), so if you like commercials more than real movies...