I have a question, OT

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by hydralisk86 (8494 posts) -

So I've heard that we only use a small portion of our brain. So, OT, do you think it's possible to use the rest of our brain for something else? Maybe we're capable of doing so much more if we could "unlock" the rest of the brain we aren't using atm. What do you think?

#2 Posted by Bane_09 (3394 posts) -

That's not really true, you may only use a small portion for things like thinking and reasoning, but all of your brain is being used. There's not a bunch of unused brain matter just waiting to be unleashed(even tho it seems like that in the case of some individuals, heh)

#3 Posted by hydralisk86 (8494 posts) -

@Bane_09 said:

That's not really true, you may only use a small portion for things like thinking and reasoning, but all of your brain is being used. There's not a bunch of unused brain matter just waiting to be unleashed(even tho it seems like that in the case of some individuals, heh)

I see. Well, I guess i was wrong.

#4 Edited by Bane_09 (3394 posts) -

@hydralisk86 said:

@Bane_09 said:

Here's a link too, http://psychology.about.com/od/biopsychology/a/10-percent-of-brain-myth.htm

But you aren't really wrong either!, You are capable of doing more even tho your whole brain is already being used. Your brain adapts to your environment and behavior, you can always keep bettering yourself and the only limitation you have are ones you put on yourself :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neuroplasticity

#5 Posted by hydralisk86 (8494 posts) -

@Bane_09 said:

@hydralisk86 said:

@Bane_09 said:

Here's a link too, http://psychology.about.com/od/biopsychology/a/10-percent-of-brain-myth.htm

But you aren't really wrong either!, You are capable of doing more even tho your whole brain is already being used. Your brain adapts to your environment and behavior, you can always keep bettering yourself and the only limitation you have are ones you put on yourself :)

I see. That's pretty interesting. Are you someone who closely studied the mind? For example, studied in college, major, etc.

#6 Edited by GazaAli (22491 posts) -

@Bane_09 said:

@hydralisk86 said:

@Bane_09 said:

I see. That's pretty interesting. Are you someone who closely studied the mind? For example, studied in college, major, etc.

bro what are you talking about. I'm not trying to discredit Bane or anything, but the stuff he's saying are pretty trivial and common knowledge.

#7 Posted by Nengo_Flow (9297 posts) -

So I've heard that we only use a small portion of our brain. So, OT, do you think it's possible to use the rest of our brain for something else? Maybe we're capable of doing so much more if we could "unlock" the rest of the brain we aren't using atm. What do you think?

That is not true, that was just some bullshit some philosopher made up. We use all of our brain. There is no unlocking nothing, just understanding it.

#8 Posted by Bane_09 (3394 posts) -

@hydralisk86: Yes I have a bachelor of science in psychology, but Gaza is right and the stuff I linked was all pretty basic! If you get the chance you could take an intro psyc course or an intro to bio psychology class that would most likely cover the topic being discussed.

@GazaAli: I wouldn't really call it common knowledge, psychology is greatly misunderstood by most people. I still hear the 10% brain myth all the time from people, and many people still think Freud is relevant!

#9 Posted by Makhaidos (1611 posts) -

So I've heard that we only use a small portion of our brain.

That's an urban legend.

#10 Edited by Gaming-Planet (13730 posts) -

100% is being used.

But we cannot manually control 100% of our brain, like our heart rate, hindering pain and nerves and electoral currents, or unlocking super human strength, or manipulating hormones or inducing hallucinations. Of course there are ways to somewhat control these but not out of thin air.

If 10% was only being used, we'd have to relearn everything all the time like a computer when it boots up. We can't simply disconnect a neuron and not be effected by it, especially 90% of it.

#11 Edited by Kenocratic (78 posts) -
@Gaming-Planet said:

100% is being used.

But we cannot manually control 100% of our brain, like our heart rate, hindering pain and nerves and electoral currents, or unlocking super human strength, or manipulating hormones or inducing hallucinations. Of course there are ways to somewhat control these but not out of thin air.

I invested in a company that may work on some of that control. I have some shares of Google.

#12 Posted by Makhaidos (1611 posts) -

@Gaming-Planet said:

100% is being used.

I invested in a company that may work on some of that control. I have some shares of Google.

Congrats on being a millionaire.

#13 Posted by PernicioEnigma (5271 posts) -

@Bane_09 said:

Pretty much this. It's like asking if you could use the portion of your brain responsible for regulating your breathing to help you solve a maths problem.

#14 Posted by br0kenrabbit (12685 posts) -

@Bane_09 said:

I dunno. I think the brain is extremely elastic while young, but those early lessons imprint a permanent filter on everything that comes after.

I'm not saying you can't, for instance, start learning an instrument at middle age from nothing, but a child who starts practicing at the same time you do will always be better than you.

#15 Edited by Bane_09 (3394 posts) -

@br0kenrabbit: Indeed, I believe thats why little kids are always so damn good at shooting games, well better than me at least.... :'(

#16 Posted by LexLas (4163 posts) -

What would a human be capable of doing if they did use 100% of thy brain ? Would he be a wizzard ?

#17 Posted by outworld222 (2311 posts) -

@Bane_09 said:

Well yes, but don't loose hope about the thinking and reasoning portion. It's a human evolutionary phase, something we are currently on going.

#18 Posted by Bane_09 (3394 posts) -

@LexLas: Yes, havent you heard of hary potter you crazy asshat?

#19 Edited by LexLas (4163 posts) -

@Bane_09 said:

@LexLas: Yes, havent you heard of hary potter you crazy asshat?

Oh yeah, how can i forget Harry Pothead. Good one, youBane wanna be loco butt hairy hole !

#20 Edited by HuggyBear1020 (456 posts) -

10% of your brain is used to information processing. The other 90% is used for mundane things like telling your heart to keep beating and other vital body functions that you don't have to think about.