I hate when people buy me things

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by im_mr_brown (2970 posts) -

I really don't like when people buy me things. I don't like getting Christmas presents. I don't like getting birthday presents., I don't even like when people try to treat me to a meal. I always want to pay.

My family gets insulted and mad at me cause I don't like them buying me things. The only person I'd accept things from is my mother. Even still I'm kind of hesitant.

On the other hand I genuinely like giving and buying things for other people. I just don't want people spending their money on me. I feel like, if I want something I'll just get it myself. Is that weird? Anyone else like that or is it just me?

#2 Posted by Snipes_2 (17126 posts) -

I really don't like when people buy me things. I don't like getting Christmas presents. I don't like getting birthday presents., I don't even like when people try to treat me to a meal. I always want to pay.

My family gets insulted and mad at me cause I don't like them buying me things. The only person I'd accept things from is my mother. Even still I'm kind of hesitant.

On the other hand I genuinely like giving and buying things for other people. I just don't want people spending their money on me. I feel like, if I want something I'll just get it myself. Is that weird? Anyone else like that or is it just me?

im_mr_brown

I feel exactly like this. My Family members don't get angry but, I still feel awkward when recieving gifts.

#3 Posted by Assassin1349 (2798 posts) -

I hate things many things, so I guess I'm kind of like you.

#4 Posted by CoolSkAGuy (9665 posts) -
Stop being so selfish and accept the dam cookie :evil:
#5 Posted by Dman0017 (4640 posts) -
give em away discretely then
#6 Posted by JC346 (4886 posts) -
I hate when I receive gifts too. I don't ask my parents for anything.
#7 Posted by im_mr_brown (2970 posts) -

Stop being so selfish and accept the dam cookie :evil:CoolSkAGuy
NEVAR!!! you eat your own damn cookie!

#8 Posted by goth_bacon (1110 posts) -
Why don't you like getting gifts? Is it because you feel obligated to do something for the giver or give them a gift as well? Or is it that you don't want to burden other people by having them spend their money for you?
#9 Posted by The-Mosher (1885 posts) -

Same here. I just feel weird when I get something from them when I never asked them to.

#10 Posted by starfox15 (3966 posts) -

I feel your pain. Send me all your unwanted gifts. I won't say a word.

#11 Posted by jimmyjammer69 (12200 posts) -

You're not alone. I get uncomfortable receiving presents from most people other than my parents. I keep telling people not to get me anything for Christmas or birthdays but they don't listen. It's not like I don't appreciate the gesture or I don't want the items themselves, I just don't like having stuff bought for me only because it's supposed to be a special day.

#12 Posted by binpink (9100 posts) -

I feel bad when my family gets me stuff but I think I'd feel worse if like my birthday came and went and I didn't even see a card. A little something to show someone you care shouldn't be a big deal to give or receive. If someone likes getting something for you, you could hurt their feelings if you keep telling them no.

#13 Posted by im_mr_brown (2970 posts) -

Why don't you like getting gifts? Is it because you feel obligated to do something for the giver or give them a gift as well? Or is it that you don't want to burden other people by having them spend their money for you?goth_bacon
Definitely the latter. I just don't like the idea of someone spending money on me. No matter how much the amount I still feel weird about it.

#14 Posted by CoolSkAGuy (9665 posts) -

:cry:

#15 Posted by Travo_basic (38751 posts) -
You can ask them to make a donation to your favorite charity in your name.
#16 Posted by im_mr_brown (2970 posts) -

I feel bad when my family gets me stuff but I think I'd feel worse if like my birthday came and went and I didn't even see a card. A little something to show someone you care shouldn't be a big deal to give or receive. If someone likes getting something for you, you could hurt their feelings if you keep telling them no.

binpink

I would rather just get a phone call or a happy birthday song. My mom gets me a card every single year without fail so I've gotten used to it.

I hate to hurt people's feelings thats why I just accept and tell them they didn't have to get me anything.

#17 Posted by im_mr_brown (2970 posts) -

starfox15

Will do! You have a pair of binoculars this lady gave me when I was 8.

#18 Posted by starfox15 (3966 posts) -

[QUOTE="starfox15"]

im_mr_brown

Will do! You have a pair of binoculars this lady gave me when I was 8.

Score!