Kevlar101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Kevlar101
Member since 2011 • 6316 Posts

I've heard multiple uses of the 'N' word on a few programs airing on extensions of network television.....I had no idea that was allowed.

I was watching Glory on a local extension of CBS, and they used the 'N' word fully. I also heard the 'N' word on the show In The Heat of the Night which was airing on a similar channel.

And no, it was not just said by black people.

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 gamerguru100
Member since 2009 • 12718 Posts

Was it only being said by black people? Because everyone knows only black people can say it and get away with it. Meanwhile, if there was an info leak about a famous white person saying it a long freaking time ago, it's enough for them to lose their career. **** this planet.

I have a really good idea. How about no one says the damn word.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#3 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

Interesting. Could you name the TV shows?

Kevlar101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#4 Kevlar101
Member since 2011 • 6316 Posts

@Master_Live said:

Interesting. Could you name the TV shows?

I edited the OP to be more specific.

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 gamerguru100
Member since 2009 • 12718 Posts

Perhaps we slipped into an alternate universe where the word has become acceptable to use on TV, even by white people. Who agrees with this theory? It's totally legit. There is no way you can disprove it.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19563 Posts

You've never seen South Park? The Wire? Stand up comedy shows?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#7 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58854 Posts

On "The Wire" they say it every 2 minutes.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#8 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

Guys, The Wire is HBO, he is talking about Network Television.

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ad1x2
Member since 2005 • 8430 Posts

For years the N word would appear in a VSE to show how bad racism was. One episode of the TV series Family Matters (ABC) had an episode where a racist student spray painted it on one of the main character's lockers in response to her wanting to get more classes teaching about black history and on the TV show A Different World (NBC) one of the main characters had his car hood spray painted with the N word.

Also, during the OJ Simpson trial most of the news networks allowed the N word to be said uncensored when they were questioning Mark Fuhrman on whether or not he ever used it, which was later followed by the tape of him using it. Network TV can say it, but they pretty much choose not to more recently.

dylandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#11 dylandr
Member since 2015 • 4940 Posts

African american people can say it but white people can't (also a form of racism)

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 SaintLeonidas
Member since 2006 • 26735 Posts

If it has historical context then of course they'd keep it.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13 DaVillain  Moderator  Online
Member since 2014 • 56039 Posts

I seems you never watch The Boondocks series cause they use the N word all the time not that I care, I enjoy The Boondocks just because it's funny.

KillerK1ng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 KillerK1ng
Member since 2014 • 135 Posts

the sopranos is pretty bad.. although it focuses on Italian slangs for black people. You learn a hell of a lot.

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#15 MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

@gamerguru100 said:

lol, Agreed

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#16 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

My (American) black friends actually encourage me to use the word, go figure...they say it's weird for me to be the only person in the group not to say it =P Also, one of my non-American black friends actually likes to go by "black" instead of his name...he's a funny guy.

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By MarcRecon
@dylandr said:

African american people can say it but white people can't (also a form of racism)

Obviously, you haven't been around or you have limited interactions with educated or at least well-rounded black people. Rappers, entertainers and Athletes aren't exactly good representatives for the African-American community.

I would say that a very small percentage are but we all know that the media loves sensationalizing negativity. So if your only interaction with blacks is through the media, then I can understand your perspective.The black community is no different from any other community, there are people in it who are just as educated, work just hard and can be just as productive in life.

I'm Afro/Native American, I know a few of my peers in the community who use the "N' word, but the vast majority of the people I know don't.

@gamerguru100 said:

lol, Agreed

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 SaintLeonidas

@korvus said:

My (American) black friends actually encourage me to use the word, go figure...they say it's weird for me to be the only person in the group not to say it =P Also, one of my non-American black friends actually likes to go by "black" instead of his name...he's a funny guy.

Starting to think Korvus is an AI and we are all being subjected to one long Turing Test.

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 MarcRecon

@korvus:

That's sounds about right, most American blacks(not all) don't have a sense of their historical culture! They don't know what many black, whites and many other had to go through to give them the privileges that they have today.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 DaVillain  Moderator  Online
Member since 2014 • 56039 Posts

@SaintLeonidas said:

@korvus said:

Starting to think Korvus is an AI and we are all being subjected to one long Turing Test.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#21 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

The acceptance of its use varies. Neither I, nor those who I associate with, use that word.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-5b797108c254e

@MarcRecon: I'm divided on this...stripping the bad connotation of a word doesn't seem to be a bad thing; it doesn't mean they are belittling the situation. Just like I know gay people who use "that's so gay!" while referring to something they deemed isn't up to standards despite the people who use that as a derogatory implication towards someone (although it's 2015, who would get offended by it anyway?). Why should we be afraid of words?

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By MarcRecon

@korvus:

Your right, words shouldn't matter and I wouldn't even get mad at a person who uses it(as a slang word at least)but it's just not a word that I'm PERSONALLY comfortable with.

But that's how I look at life in general, you have to deal with the pros and cons of the things that people say and do....I'm mean don't worry, I'm not one of those types who would go and get Sharpton or Jackson! lol

Those 2 buffoons are another poor example of African American.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-5b797108c254e

@MarcRecon: Yeah, I wouldn't go around using it either, of course. But if people decide to call each other whatever, as long as they're both ok with it, I don't see a problem. I do think it's a shame to be afraid of a word regardless on why or how you say it...I have no particular trouble with the n-word but I still feel I need to mention it as "the n-word" even though I'm not aiming it at anyone...

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 MarcRecon

@korvus:

I got ya bro! lol

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By SaintLeonidas

@davillain- said:

@SaintLeonidas said:

@korvus said:

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-5b797108c254e

@SaintLeonidas said:

You might not be too wrong. From what I read from you it does often seem like we're living in different realities =)

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 SaintLeonidas

@korvus said:

@SaintLeonidas said:

You might not be too wrong. From what I read from you it does often seem like we're living in different realities =)

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#31  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58854 Posts

@killerk1ng said:

the sopranos is pretty bad.. although it focuses on Italian slangs for black people. You learn a hell of a lot.

Loading Video...