MuD3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 MuD3
Member since 2011 • 2192 Posts

and I feel like I'm missing out on so much. Everyone seems to have such a strong connection with music, I want to have one too... but nothing I hear really inspires that much in me. What's wrong with me?

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#2  Edited By deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

There's nothing wrong with you. People try to make you think that everyone loves music, reading and walks in the beach, but a lot of people who say that don't even read books, it's just the standard thing to say. It's good that we all like different things, and just because you don't have a connection with music and your friends do, doesn't mean you don't have a deeper connection with something else than they do =)

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 themajormayor
Member since 2011 • 25729 Posts

There's a few options. Start listening to Bach or this or this. If you don't like it you're probably doing the right thing to stay away from music.

MuD3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 MuD3

@Iszdope said:

Do you stink?

yes

l34052

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 l34052
Member since 2005 • 3906 Posts

Personally i couldnt imagine my life without music but thats just me, what have you been listening to? maybe you just havent found what stirs your soul yet.

bforrester420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8 bforrester420
Member since 2014 • 3480 Posts

New music sucks. Rock and Roll appears to be dead.

one_plum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By one_plum
Member since 2009 • 6822 Posts

Liking a specific kind of music can be contextual. It's perhaps tied to a movie/game that you liked very much. A song could be associated with an important part of your life (ie: first date, etc...) or happens to capture your emotional state.

But tbh, I don't think I'd be listening to music that much if I wasn't always working/procrastinating in front of the computer.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#10 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

@one_plum: That's mostly my case too. Most of the music that has a special meaning to me has nothing to do with the quality of the music itself but what happened when I was listening to that particular track. Can't relate to your last sentence though, since my wife is a musician XD

Dogswithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11  Edited By Dogswithguns
Member since 2007 • 11359 Posts

Talk radio that's what I listen to.. all day and night. try it, you might like it.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

You probably just haven't found what you like yet. Have a nephew like that.....he eventually found some music. And now he loves music.

bowchicka07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#14  Edited By bowchicka07
Member since 2013 • 1104 Posts

@MuD3 said:

and I feel like I'm missing out on so much. Everyone seems to have such a strong connection with music, I want to have one too... but nothing I hear really inspires that much in me. What's wrong with me?

You're missing out on a lot but I would say you're actually in the majority of people who don't really take music all that seriously, sadly.

Sweenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15 Sweenix
Member since 2013 • 5957 Posts

Besides movies and soft drink.. Nothing beats music!

MuD3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 MuD3

@Dogswithguns said:

Talk radio that's what I listen to.. all day and night. try it, you might like it.

I have a podcast obsession myself...

4myAmuzumament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 4myAmuzumament
Member since 2013 • 1791 Posts
Loading Video...

Start with this.

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#19 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts

There is an actual psychological disorder in which someone cannot find any beauty or pleasure in music. It's more common then you may think. It doesn't mean you are unhealthy, simply that you don't find any joy in music. Just find the things that do make you happy and stick to those.

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20 Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts
@bforrester420 said:

Sad but true.

Even metal is shit now. More incomprehensible screaming than actually thought provoking lyrics.

What happened to the 90's metal scene? :-(

quadraleap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 quadraleap
Member since 2004 • 36581 Posts

Explore deeper. Libraries often have a listening room (or todays equivalent). Today there is the Internet....its even easier.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

@Boddicker said:
@bforrester420 said:

Sad but true.

Even metal is shit now. More incomprehensible screaming than actually thought provoking lyrics.

Tip: The thought provoking lyrics are still there, you just have to read a lyric sheet or pay closer attention to the vocals to hear them. Gorgut's latest album, for example, is lyrically about how Tibet used spirituality and the teachings of the Dalai Lama to battle oppression and lead lives of peace.

And honestly, metal is better than it has ever been - people are just too lazy to discover the good bands. Start checking out some music forums and start asking for some recommendations.

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#23  Edited By k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

Umm I couldn't careless about it before and only used it as a salience breaker. Then I started get little into it but I am type of person who is all over and I tend to aim for songs thats funny(what does the fox say), fanmade,(skyrim rap, weinner game of thrones song from south park) weird/interesting (repo the genetic opera) ect.

A lot people I know like to stick to one style of music while I am litterly all over the board

-Renegade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#24  Edited By -Renegade
Member since 2007 • 8340 Posts

@thegerg said:

Why do you want to be so interested in something you don't like?

because everyone else is in to it and he wants to be apart of the in crowd. how about this song right here TC, you got to love this song right here right?

Loading Video...

betamaxx83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 betamaxx83
Member since 2013 • 360 Posts

Music has helped me get through difficult parts of my life, and relieve good memories and bad ones.

I couldn't imagine not listening to music. But maybe down the road you'll find something that captures your attention.

I listen to practically everything.

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

@KHAndAnime said:

@Boddicker said:
@bforrester420 said:

Sad but true.

Tip: The thought provoking lyrics are still there, you just have to read a lyric sheet or pay closer attention to the vocals to hear them. Gorgut's latest album, for example, is lyrically about how Tibet used spirituality and the teachings of the Dalai Lama to battle oppression and lead lives of peace.

And honestly, metal is better than it has ever been - people are just too lazy to discover the good bands. Start checking out some music forums and start asking for some recommendations.

Point sadly confirmed.

helwa1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 helwa1988
Member since 2007 • 2157 Posts

@MuD3 said:

Don't feel bad. When I was in my teens I was heavily into music. I listened to all genres. But since I've gotten older I have become less interested in it. Not to mention after listening to it for more than 30 min I get a heache.

there are other joys in life other than music. I am really into listening to maitre sounds these days. I brought a whole album of nature sounds from youtube that are extremely relaxing.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts
@Boddicker said:

Point sadly confirmed.

How can you say metal is shit when the majority of it doesn't appeal to you? 90's is when metal started to convert primarily into growls and shrieks. It's pretty much what metal is. If you actually listen to it with an open mind, the musicians producing the music are clearly talented - so you can't say the entire genre sucks now because you have a wimpy vocal taste palette. That's like saying classic rock is shit without having actually having listened to it or caring about rock. Much classic rock is clearly made by talented musicians and composers, so couldn't honestly say the whole genre is bad because the tone of the voice or guitars don't appeal to you. Same case with metal (or almost any genre, really). Those who actually fans of metal music are in heaven - there is tons of great metal coming out, more so than there ever has been.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18797 Posts

@bforrester420 said:

Rock and Roll has been dead since the 70's(Disco era) and 80s(Pop era)

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#30 IMAHAPYHIPPO
Member since 2004 • 4196 Posts

@MuD3: Ingest intoxicating herbs and listen to Radiohead's Kid A from start to finish -- very loudly on nice headphones.

livingundead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By livingundead
Member since 2004 • 225 Posts

@MuD3: What type of music are you trying to listen to? What type of music do your parents or older siblings listen to? A lot of people take musical influences from their parents...either they like it or don't.

I listen to all kinds of music - 50s Rock n Roll, rhythm and blues, Surf, swing, Rockabilly, 70s and 80s Punk, heavy metal, nu-metal, doom metal, thrash metal, grunge, classical, show tunes, country, bluegrass, hillbilly, hellbilly, Lucifarian gospel, punk-ska, 80s/early 90s rap, alt-rock, etc.

Unfortunately a lot of it sucks.

DeadMan1290

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#32 DeadMan1290
Member since 2005 • 15752 Posts

@Iszdope said:

@MuD3 said:

@Iszdope said:

Do you stink?

yes

Oh dear.

Sup, Isz?

hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts

@MuD3: I believe u r one of those who look like this

bforrester420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 bforrester420

@PSP107 said:

@bforrester420 said:

To each his own, but I loved the Seattle sound of the 90s. Pearl Jam (my fav. band), Soundgarden, STP, Alice in Chains...I loved 90s grunge.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 PSP107

@bforrester420 said:

@PSP107 said:

@bforrester420 said:

To each his own, but I loved the Seattle sound of the 90s. Pearl Jam (my fav. band), Soundgarden, STP, Alice in Chains...I loved 90s grunge.

Yeah but didn't hardcore rock n roll fans hated the grunge sound too?

bforrester420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By bforrester420

@PSP107 said:

@bforrester420 said:

@PSP107 said:

@bforrester420 said:

Yeah but didn't hardcore rock n roll fans hated the grunge sound too?

I don't recall. I'm sure the hairband and metal fans of the 80s didn't probably care for grunge, but grunge was much more substantiative than the overwhelmingly shallow glam-Rock of the 80s.

I'm speaking more in terms of Rock's popularity. Today, Rock has almost completely been replaced in the mainstream by pop music. The last time I recall Rock being the dominant genre in terms of popularity was during the Alternative/Grunge movement.

Wilfred_Owen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#38  Edited By Wilfred_Owen
Member since 2005 • 20964 Posts
Loading Video...

Old but its what got me started into stuff like Cunninlynguists, Frank Ocean, Modest Mouse.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 PSP107

@bforrester420:

That what I was saying, Rock music(any form of rock) has been replaced by disco/pop/rap/hip/hop etc. for decades.

Or are you saying grunge was the last great run of popularity of rock?

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Ribstaylor1
Member since 2014 • 2186 Posts

I like music a lot but it's not something I really get into that much. Like i don't really have my own collection I don't go out of my way to see shows and I fucking hate the radio. If anything I listen to most my music on youtube, or I use flac files when I want to listen to something like FF a piano collections or something. but even then I don't do that often either.

bforrester420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 bforrester420

@PSP107 said:

@bforrester420:

That what I was saying, Rock music(any form of rock) has been replaced by disco/pop/rap/hip/hop etc. for decades.

Disco, pop, rap, and hip-hop have had their ups and downs in terms of popularity. Even during the Disco era of the late 70s, pop era of the 80s, and hip-hop era of the 90s, Rock never felt completely irrelevant like it does today. Granted, I wasn't alive for the disco era to attest. I just feel like Rock has been basically irrelevant for over a decade now...far longer than that's been the case in the past.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 PSP107

@bforrester420 said:

@PSP107 said:

@bforrester420:

Disco, pop, rap, and hip-hop have had their ups and downs in terms of popularity. Even during the Disco era of the late 70s, pop era of the 80s, and hip-hop era of the 90s, Rock never felt completely irrelevant like it does today. Granted, I wasn't alive for the disco era to attest. I just feel like Rock has been basically irrelevant for over a decade now...far longer than that's been the case in the past.

What about Nu Metal in the early 2000s and alternative rock?

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#43 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

I never feel that "deep personal connection" to music that so many people talk about. I think that people like that are acting kind of silly, especially when someone says something like "this song is the story of my life" I understand being able to relate to similar experiences, but that's just being silly, not acting deep.

All that being said, I absolutely adore a lot of music. Not because I feel a connection to it or I feel personally moved, but just because I love the way it sounds and the meaning behind some songs.

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#44 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts

@Boddicker said:
@bforrester420 said:

Sad but true.

unfortunately that is mostly true. We do occasionally get a decent album from older bands like Anthrax but that is a rarity ( looking at 70-90's hard-rock/metal scene thinks are pathetic now )

bforrester420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 bforrester420

@PSP107 said:

@bforrester420 said:

@PSP107 said:

@bforrester420:

What about Nu Metal in the early 2000s and alternative rock?

God I hated Nu Metal (Limp Bizkit and the like?). I always called it "Rap Rock". That period didn't seem to last long. I'd say it's been at least 8 - 10 years since that's been a particularly viable sub-genre.

DeadMan1290

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#46  Edited By DeadMan1290
Member since 2005 • 15752 Posts

@Iszdope: Not much, izzy, bored lately. Not many people left here from the old days.

blangenakker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 blangenakker
Member since 2006 • 3240 Posts

There is more music that exists then just on the radio, have a look.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#48 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

How about some J-Pop?

jasean79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 jasean79
Member since 2005 • 2593 Posts

Music is an art, and not everyone is into art. I've known a few people who never really cared for music enough to listen to it daily. I'm not one of those people. I like a little bit of everything, so I never get bored of the same genre. Seeing as how I am a musician, I don't think I could ever go a day without it. As some others have mentioned, maybe you just haven't found what you like. Music has been around for thousands of years, chances are there's something out there that you might be into.