Hundreds expected for Mohammed cartoon contest

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e9044657a310
deactivated-5e9044657a310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By deactivated-5e9044657a310
Member since 2005 • 8136 Posts

Freedom of speech rally round II

http://www.cnn.com/2015/05/29/us/mohammed-cartoon-contest/index.html?sr=fb052915mohammedcartooncontest431aVODtopLink

Ritzheimer anticipates possible problems because of the rally and says people should bring their guns.

"People are also encouraged to utilize (their) second amendment right at this event just (in case) our first amendment comes under the much anticipated attack," the event's Facebook page says.

What could go wrong?

Avatar image for deactivated-5e9044657a310
deactivated-5e9044657a310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By deactivated-5e9044657a310
Member since 2005 • 8136 Posts

From the Organizers facebook page.

"I have made no threats. I am simply bringing to light that our freedom of speech is under attack and this proves my case. I don't think anyone should have to go into hiding for doing anything peaceful. This is not an Anti Islam Rally. This is a Pro Freedom of Speech Rally so don't let the media twist it. I admit that what I am doing is stupid but so is stomping on the American flag and I support their rights and freedom to do so. That's what's supposed to make our country great."

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Hexagon_777
Member since 2007 • 20348 Posts

Violence is imminent. Allaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh akbar!

twazuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By twazuk
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts

People involved in this are doing so specifically to piss off Muslims. They say it's about freedom of speech but that's bullshit. They haven't lost the right to draw Mohammed. They don't lose that right if they stop doing it. They are doing it to show they aren't afraid of a potential "terrorist" threat.

Just for the sake of doing it. They are using their free speech to incite hate. They are instigating "terror". These people are terrorists.

They are doing something they know full well could potentially end in violence.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58898 Posts

He's right, it is stupid. Not only is he putting police life's in danger, he's putting the public in danger.

Completely ignoring Islam - If someone walked down the street with a sign saying (for example) : "I want to have sex with children", or as a good example in the case of Die Hard 3 "I hate N's", chances are, that fellow would be beaten to a pulp or worse, killed. You have the right to say it, that doesn't mean repercussions wont happen and that is it exclusively relegated to Islam, or that somehow America is above it.

Perhaps if they clamped down on freedom by removing the right to bear arms they wouldn't have an abnormally high ratio of school shootings compared to other countries.

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Hexagon_777
@twazuk said:

People involved in this are doing so specifically to piss off Muslims. They say it's about freedom of speech but that's bullshit. They haven't lost the right to draw Mohammed. They don't lose that right if they stop doing it. They are doing it to show they aren't afraid of a potential "terrorist" threat. Just for the sake of doing it. They are using their free speech to incite hate. They are instigating "terror". These people are terrorists.

They are doing something they know full well could potentially end in violence.

That sounds like victim blaming. You don't blame a rape victim for dressing provocatively. You blame the dirty **** of a rapist who couldn't control himself. You don't blame a victim of violence for drawing a fucking cartoon. You blame the dirty **** of a psycho who chose to commit violence over a cartoon.

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Hexagon_777
@uninspiredcup said:

He's right, it is stupid. Not only is he putting police life's in danger, he's putting the public in danger.

Completely ignoring Islam - If someone walked down the street with a sign saying (for example) : "I want to have sex with children", or as a good example in the case of Die Hard 3 "I hate N's", chances are, that fellow would be beaten to a pulp or worse, killed. You have the right to say it, that doesn't mean repercussions wont happen and that is it exclusively relegated to Islam, or that somehow America is above it.

Perhaps if they clamped down on freedom by removing the right to bear arms they wouldn't have an abnormally high ratio of school shootings compared to other countries.

Freedom of speech > All. When Jewish lawyers are defending KKK members in the US because they firmly believe in the right of freedom of speech, you know it to be true. Declaring how you hate black folk with that slur is your gosh darn right. You won't be popular, society will shun you, but violence is not the answer. Not sure it's your right to declare you want to have sex with children, though...Paedophilia is illegal, declaring such shows intent, and so on.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58898 Posts

@Hexagon_777 said:
@uninspiredcup said:

Freedom of speech > All. When Jewish lawyers are defending KKK members in the US because they firmly believe in the right of freedom of speech, you know it to be true. Declaring how you hate black folk with that slur is your gosh darn right. You won't be popular, society will shun you, but violence is not the answer. Not sure it's your right to declare you want to have sex with children, though...Paedophilia is illegal, declaring such shows intent, and so on.

People are not 1's and 0's of a binary code. They are reactive, complicated and flawed.

Your last argument about rapists, if the woman moves next door to rapists on either side, knowing full well they are what they are, deliberately dressing to provoking them, leaving the door open, inviting them in, what, exactly... do you think will happen?

They will be prosecuted, rightly so. But to claim the female is exempt of any blame because of her "freedom" is ridiclous.

dylandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#10 dylandr
Member since 2015 • 4940 Posts

This sounds like picking a fight at a bar by calling someones mother a whore, you are bound to get hit!

twazuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 twazuk

@Hexagon_777: Oh god, you're right, holy shit why didn't I think of it sooner. I'll get on a plane fly to the Middle East and tell those religious extremists to draw insulting pictures of Jesus or Abraham Lincoln or something.

If these people could have ignored some angry guy who lost a loved one or their home or what ever in a air strike taking their anger out on a flag, there wouldn't be any retaliation.

We're all just victims of hate and fear.

twazuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 twazuk

Also Jesus said turn the other cheek so these folk are just bad Christians.

dylandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#14  Edited By dylandr
Member since 2015 • 4940 Posts

@twazuk: Like a wise person once said:

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 LJS9502_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 178843 Posts

@twazuk said:

Also Jesus said turn the other cheek so these folk are just bad Christians.

Assumptions and always an idiot that drags Christianity into a thread about Muslims. Anyone that reacts violently to ideas expressed by others deserves to be locked away from society. Free Speech is important......and should be defended even if we don't agree with what is presented.

GrayF0X786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 GrayF0X786
Member since 2012 • 4185 Posts

that has nothing to do with free speech.

they are just haters.

GrayF0X786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 GrayF0X786

why not organize some kind of debate or discussion?

or is it that some Americans don't know how to be civilized?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 LJS9502_basic  Online

@GrayF0X786 said:

Ironic....

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19 Renevent42
Member since 2010 • 6654 Posts
@Nuck81 said:

What could go wrong?

A crazed fanatical stone-aged barbarian shoots up the place?

Avatar image for MakeMeaSammitch
MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 MakeMeaSammitch
Member since 2012 • 4889 Posts

@GrayF0X786 said:

You support ISIS

You're on the same level as poop throwing monkeys.

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#21 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

@GrayF0X786 said:

that has nothing to do with free speech.

they are just haters.

of course it does, it´s always been about freedom of speech.

Drunk_PI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Drunk_PI
Member since 2014 • 3358 Posts

They're all stupid. But they have the right to express their stupidity.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23  Edited By comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38675 Posts

@Nuck81 said:

From the Organizers facebook page.

"I have made no threats. I am simply bringing to light that our freedom of speech is under attack and this proves my case. I don't think anyone should have to go into hiding for doing anything peaceful. This is not an Anti Islam Rally. This is a Pro Freedom of Speech Rally so don't let the media twist it. I admit that what I am doing is stupidbut so is stomping on the American flag and I support their rights and freedom to do so. That's what's supposed to make our country great."

they could have just lead and ended with that

edit. also, you know that CNN is just PRAYING for something to go down.

Gwynnblade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Gwynnblade
Member since 2015 • 931 Posts

I'm looking forward to it with keen anticipation.

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 themajormayor
Member since 2011 • 25729 Posts

Talk about low-life losers.

II_Seraphim_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 II_Seraphim_II
Member since 2007 • 20534 Posts

this is pointless and callous. Yes we have freedom of speech, doesnt mean we have to be dicks about it.

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

@II_Seraphim_II said:

this is pointless and callous. Yes we have freedom of speech, doesnt mean we have to be dicks about it.

That is also the point, you have the freedom to be a dick about having freedom of speech the same way you have freedom of and from religion, just as the ofended have the right to protest ( exercising their freedom of speech ) in a peaceful manner of and against of being ofended.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 LJS9502_basic  Online

@II_Seraphim_II said:

No matter what stance you hold....there will be those who will disagree with it. Period. There is no consensus. Those who use violence to protest those opposing views are vile individuals. No one has the right not to be offended because that is categorically impossible unless one lives alone on a deserted island.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#29 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

This is similar to putting a bomb that has not had its timer set on and telling people that they shall not use it, granted we all get along.

It is unreasonable.

GrayF0X786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 GrayF0X786

@LJS9502_basic said:
@GrayF0X786 said:

Ironic....

the joke is on you at the end of the day.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts

A society that sanctions stupidity needs a reality check. The organizer isn't bothering with a pretext to pitch his publicity stunt with; he went out with it loud and clear. What's more is how he's inciting violence by asking people to come to a controversial event loaded with guns. If the American society is willing to endorse a man who's jeopardizing public order and putting the lives of God knows how many in danger for nothing but attention or sheer malignancy then a eulogy is in order.

At any rate, I don't think I ever heard a more stupid statement than "people have the right to be stupid". Where does such feces of mentality come from?

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts
@II_Seraphim_II said:

It's not only that, but when a society endows you with certain rights, it expects you to wield them responsibly and to honor them, not to take one big dump on them, ironically in their name. More people should start recognizing this man - and his likely progenitor, Hebdo - for what they truly are: malignant provocateurs who selfishly and callously screw their fellow compatriots.

RichieTickles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 RichieTickles
Member since 2014 • 424 Posts

I doubt anything is going to happen this time around as this gathering hasn't been announced far in advance like the one in Garland, Texas was. If this ends peacefully, I'll give the Muslims who attend this mosque credit where credit's due.

Still, we have a large group of bikers who are armed, so I wonder how much restraint police will show towards them unlike what happened in Waco. If any shooting occurs, it'll be from the police who have adopted a shoot first approach to every imaginable situation.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#34  Edited By deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

If it wasn't for the chance of police and people who have nothing to do with this getting hurt with this moronic stunt I wouldn't even give a ****...let them do it but they should be ready to defend themselves without involving the police.

silkylove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 silkylove
Member since 2002 • 8579 Posts

Sooner or later a cop or an innocent bystander will get killed at/near one of these events. I think it's interesting that this is being organized by a former marine. What happened to the "honor" part of "honor, courage, commitment?"

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Renevent42
@GazaAli said:

A society that sanctions stupidity needs a reality check. The organizer isn't bothering with a pretext to pitch his publicity stunt with; he went out with it loud and clear. What's more is how he's inciting violence by asking people to come to a controversial event loaded with guns. If the American society is willing to endorse a man who's jeopardizing public order and putting the lives of God knows how many in danger for nothing but attention or sheer malignancy then a eulogy is in order.

At any rate, I don't think I ever heard a more stupid statement than "people have the right to be stupid". Where does such feces of mentality come from?

They aren't jeopardizing public order, they are holding a peaceful non-violent demonstration and expressing their free-speech. The only way public order will be compromised is if some fanatical caveman decides to shoot up the place because he was "offended", and unlike a civilized human being, resorts to violence.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deactivated-5b797108c254e

@Renevent42: Is "non-violent" your only definition of "civilised"?

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Renevent42
@korvus said:

No, but people who murder people over cartoons certainly aren't civilized.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 deactivated-5b797108c254e

@Renevent42: Neither are the people who provoke others like that, even if they are allowed to do so.

Gwynnblade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Gwynnblade

@Renevent42 said:
@korvus said:

You do know this isn't just about people who murder people over mere cartoons?

You're drawing Muhammad. 2 billion people in this world adore him. ISIS might be a part of those 2 billion, but hell it isn't even the majority. What exactly are you trying to prove by this?

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Renevent42
@korvus said:

@Renevent42: Neither are the people who provoke others like that, even if they are allowed to do so.

To a degree, sure, but in orders of magnitudes different. You're talking about the difference between someone who holds an offensive opinion and is willing to express it to a person willing to kill indiscriminately. If you want to say both groups are uncivilized go for it, the reality is there a gigantic difference in these two groups and the depth of their un-civility.

In other words people who say stupid things are tolerated in civil society, people who gun down others for insulting them are not.

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Renevent42
@gwynnblade said:
@Renevent42 said:
@korvus said:

You do know this isn't just about people who murder people over mere cartoons?

You're drawing Muhammad. 2 billion people in this world adore him. ISIS might be a part of those 2 billion, but hell it isn't even the majority. What exactly are you trying to prove by this?

That's exactly who it's about. That magazine published many cartoons of many major religious leaders, but it was Muslims who decided to murder people over it. These demonstrations are directly in response to these actions, and are a clear counter voice stating people will not have their freedoms dictated to them at the end of a rifle barrel.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#43 ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

It's pretty clear why these events are taking place and it's not just to celebrate freedom of speech, lol. I mean having the balls to stage this thing outside of a mosque. Yeah that's playing with fire.

Gwynnblade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Gwynnblade

@Renevent42 said:

That's exactly who it's about. That magazine published many cartoons of many major religious leaders, but it was butthurts who decided to murder people over it. These demonstrations are directly in response to these actions, and are a clear counter voice stating people will not have their freedoms dictated to them at the end of a rifle barrel.

Fixed that for you.

I really can't comprehend your train of thoughts. In order to combat the 'extremists', you're also attacking a normal Muslim. What exactly are you getting out of it?
Seems like America has too much time on its hand these days.

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Renevent42
@gwynnblade said:
@Renevent42 said:

That's exactly who it's about. That magazine published many cartoons of many major religious leaders, but it was butthurts who decided to murder people over it. These demonstrations are directly in response to these actions, and are a clear counter voice stating people will not have their freedoms dictated to them at the end of a rifle barrel.

Fixed that for you.

I really can't comprehend your train of thoughts. In order to combat the 'extremists', you're also attacking a normal Muslim. What exactly are you getting out of it?

Seems like America has too much time on its hand these days.

I know you can't, because you clearly don't understand freedom of speech. They are expressing their speech, in the exact way which people attempted to shut down others from doing at the end of a sword, to loud and clearly say our most cherished freedom will not be infringed upon by lunatics, minority in that group or not.

It's an important gesture.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 deactivated-5b797108c254e

@Renevent42: I'm not saying killing isn't worse than being a dick, but that doesn't change the fact that these people are dicks...even worse, they are risking other people's lives (people around the area, police officers, etc) just to spite a group of people.

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Renevent42
@korvus said:

@Renevent42: I'm not saying killing isn't worse than being a dick, but that doesn't change the fact that these people are dicks...even worse, they are risking other people's lives (people around the area, police officers, etc) just to spite a group of people.

If you clearly understand what's a bigger issue here, why are you focusing so much on the people being dicks instead of the fact there's a real threat from people who will kill you over drawing picture?

Gwynnblade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Gwynnblade

@Renevent42 said:

I know you can't, because you clearly don't understand freedom of speech. They are expressing their speech, in the exact way which people attempted to shut others from doing so at the end of a sword, to loud and clearly say our most cherished freedom will not be infringed upon by lunatics, minority in that group or not.

Let me clear it out : I don't believe in America's most dearest "Freedom of Speech''. Never did, never will. There's a fine line between slander and criticism. Freedom of Speech should only allow 'Criticism'. Slander is an abuse of 'freedom of speech'. Clearly, the West is failing to comprehend that.

Now, will somebody please explain it to me how these cartoons are 'criticism' rather 'slander'.

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Renevent42
@gwynnblade said:
@Renevent42 said:

I know you can't, because you clearly don't understand freedom of speech. They are expressing their speech, in the exact way which people attempted to shut others from doing so at the end of a sword, to loud and clearly say our most cherished freedom will not be infringed upon by lunatics, minority in that group or not.

Let me clear it out : I don't believe in America's most dearest "Freedom of Speech''. Never did, never will. There's a fine line between slander and criticism. Freedom of Speech should only allow 'Criticism'. Slander is an abuse of 'freedom of speech'. Clearly, the West is failing to comprehend that.

Now, will somebody please explain it to me how these cartoons are 'criticism' rather 'slander'.

You didn't need to clear that up, I said as much in my reply in regards to you.

Gwynnblade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Gwynnblade

@Renevent42 said:
@gwynnblade said:
@Renevent42 said:

You didn't need to clear that up, I said as much in my reply in regards to you.

If you mean the "You don't understand Freedom of Speech" part, please explain how I don't and how you do.