How you feel about air pollution falling drastically and animals moving freely more ?

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9d77f5cef3a
deactivated-5f9d77f5cef3a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#1 deactivated-5f9d77f5cef3a
Member since 2020 • 1426 Posts

Globally air pollution has fallen drastically and animals are moving more freely in the streets during the quarantine.Water is more clean now.

Isn't it how Karma works? Nature against Humans? For decades Humans have polluted the world , now its payback time from nature?

We all should learn a lesson about not disrupting nature anymore if we survive through the pandemic. Also glad China, Korea banned eating of exotic and wild animals.

Well?

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10591 Posts

For me, it's a reminder that if we were to go extinct tomorrow, the Universe will not miss us. Life will go on, erosive processes will pretty much wipe out all evidence of our existence within barely a blip in the geological timescales, and the world and universe will roll on, unconcerned and unperturbed by our absence.

Puts things into perspective of how insignificant we and our petty concerns are in the grand scheme of things.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 deactivated-5f9d77f5cef3a

@madrocketeer said:

For me, it's a reminder that if we were to go extinct tomorrow, the Universe will not miss us. Life will go on, erosive processes will pretty much wipe out all evidence of our existence within barely a blip in the geological timescales, and the world and universe will roll on, unconcerned and unperturbed by our absence.

Puts things into perspective of how insignificant we and our petty concerns are in the grand scheme of things.

Yup, pretty much.

TomaLevine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4 TomaLevine
Member since 2019 • 444 Posts

Pretty pissed because I am not some tree hugger. Nature sucks as South Park illustrates in its rainforest episode.

Pollution is good as long as it doesn’t effect human life.

I just watched dark waters... good movie

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

@magnum3000 said:
@madrocketeer said:

Yup, pretty much.

This is pretty much the plot of Horizion: Zero Dawn.

TomaLevine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 TomaLevine
Member since 2019 • 444 Posts

@Byshop:

I was going to say TC was one step ahead of initiating the plot of Kingsman Secret service XD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-5f9d77f5cef3a

@Byshop said:
@magnum3000 said:
@madrocketeer said:

Yup, pretty much.

HaHa

@tomalevine said:

@Byshop:

I was going to say TC was one step ahead of initiating the plot of Kingsman Secret service XD

lol

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#8 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts

It's amazing how fast nature would be able to return to a relatively normal/stable state if humans were to just disappear entirely. At this point I just wonder how much further we can push it until most of the world is inhabitable. Mankind's greed and arrogance will lead to our demise and we totally deserve it.

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 mandzilla  Moderator
Member since 2017 • 4686 Posts

At least some good comes out of all this.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#10  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

I don't think it's karma because nature itself is a cruel mistress. When we talk about the beauty of nature I think we mean very select handpicked parts of nature that are beautiful. The rest of it is corpses, shitting, pain and cruelty.

I don't think mankind could do much that would stand out, compared to the destruction and carelessness prevalent in nature. In that sense I think mankind is surely a destroyer like many things in nature, but also has the more unique power to shape nature into something less hurtful.

But I'm happy that the air becomes less polluted. I even heard people say that the cleaner air may end up saving more people than the coronavirus kills. Who knows, I hope that to be true.

rmpumper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By rmpumper
Member since 2016 • 2153 Posts

@KungfuKitten said:

I don't think it's karma because nature itself is a cruel mistress. When we talk about the beauty of nature I think we mean very select handpicked parts of nature that are beautiful. The rest of it is corpses, shitting, pain and cruelty.

Cruelty is deliberate, so unless you think that animals and/or the planet itself have the intention to cause pain and suffering for their own amusement, then cruelty is exclusive to humanity.

That's what make us the worst species on Earth - we can do better, but chose not to with some being as shitty as possible on purpose.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11126 Posts

It's a window into a more eco-friendly future. Hopefully this will be enough of a motivation for humanity.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127534 Posts

@Byshop said:

Except it involves red heads. :P

I'm kinda loving it. It has shown us just how much our daily pollution affects the local environment we live in.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Byshop  Moderator

@horgen said:
@Byshop said:

Except it involves red heads. :P

I'm kinda loving it. It has shown us just how much our daily pollution affects the local environment we live in.

Well, we've got an electric car/solar panels, so....

:)

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58534 Posts

@magnum3000 said:

Globally air pollution has fallen drastically and animals are moving more freely in the streets during the quarantine.Water is more clean now.

Isn't it how Karma works? Nature against Humans? For decades Humans have polluted the world , now its payback time from nature?

We all should learn a lesson about not disrupting nature anymore if we survive through the pandemic. Also glad China, Korea banned eating of exotic and wild animals.

Well?

That's not how karma works, and thinking this is some form of poetic justice/retaliation is a bit gross. Don't be a misanthrope.

But yeah, I agree overall, the world is definitely in better shape than it was three or so months ago. As I said in another thread, I hope we learn from this and realize that, yes, humans do have a large impact on the environment.

@johnd13 said:

It's a window into a more eco-friendly future. Hopefully this will be enough of a motivation for humanity.

Exactly, pretty much this.

@SoNin360 said:

It's amazing how fast nature would be able to return to a relatively normal/stable state if humans were to just disappear entirely. At this point I just wonder how much further we can push it until most of the world is inhabitable. Mankind's greed and arrogance will lead to our demise and we totally deserve it.

It is amazing! I mean it took months, not years, to get the air significantly clean. And I don't see nearly as much garbage on the road as I normally do.

Maybe we should, as a planet, just take three months off of work every year.

Avatar image for deactivated-60113e7859d7d
deactivated-60113e7859d7d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-60113e7859d7d
Member since 2017 • 3808 Posts

Really depressed. Because I know that the moment things are back to normal, we will once again **** the environment. We never learn.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#18  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

@rmpumper said:
@KungfuKitten said:

Cruelty is deliberate, so unless you think that animals and/or the planet itself have the intention to cause pain and suffering for their own amusement, then cruelty is exclusive to humanity.

That's what make us the worst species on Earth - we can do better, but chose not to with some being as shitty as possible on purpose.

Hm maybe. I don't think humans have much to choose. I don't necessarily believe in a free will. Only insomuch that it's a free choice that may as well have already been made. A person sees certain options and 'picks' the one he/she deems best for as much as he/she is in control. It's very deterministic of us, for having a free will and all. Maybe our awareness is different than that of animals, but I don't see much of a difference in choice in human beings. Maybe humans have more options in their mind and in practice, and maybe the decisions are less pre-programmed and more of an on the spot analysis, but I don't know about an actual ability to choose. As such, I think differently than most people about intentions or deliberate action. To me all humans have the right intentions deep inside. We all want the same in the end. Any differences in our idea of a paradise seem inconsequential. I consider the differences in our actions to be a result of our inability to understand each other and this world, and a lack of control over our situation and ourselves. When I talk cruelty I don't think about deliberateness. I just compare it to alternative ways of being and think the natural way of being is cruel.

(I think the reason I picked the word cruelty may be exposing a little religious side of me. If there is a deliberateness in cruelty I may have been suggesting subconsciously that whoever is in control of this world, it seems they have a world that leaves some room for improvement. You know, I would be delighted to work with them on that and see if we can make this world a little nicer.)

It's interesting to me how people can look at nature and think it's beautiful. We even sell products that say 'all natural.' I wonder, do they know that cyanide is all natural? If you look at it from a sideline there's so much nasty stuff going on. Terrible illnesses, parasites, venom, traps, rape, wars. I guess it's the same thing we do with pirates. Fantasy pirates are pretty cool compared to the real deal. Let's just say the moment I came across a frog swimming in a bowl of water in my yard with half a face missing because it was being eaten alive by parasites, it made me stop in my tracks and look differently at humans having pets. Before that I always thought it was irresponsible of people to keep pets because we don't know for sure what they want and we do keep them imprisoned in ways. But after that I realised that such a life can be quite an improvement over what nature had in store for them.

So for me, saving the environment wouldn't be returning the environment to a state as if humans aren't there. Because nature scares me. So no, I don't think that animals returning to the cities are necessarily a good sign. I don't know what to think of that. For me, saving the environment would mean to reshape nature in ways that it can cause less pain and suffering. That's why I feel positive about the air pollution diminishing.

Omg I'm sorry I typed way too much again.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Byshop  Moderator

@KungfuKitten: You should check out the new sci-fi series "Devs" on Hulu and FX.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#20 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59395 Posts

@ezekiel43 said:

Really depressed. Because I know that the moment things are back to normal, we will once again **** the environment. We never learn.

True. Everything we do just basically amounts to meaningless gimmicks because aren't willing to sacrifice anything immediate for potential future benefits.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#21 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

RatchetClank92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 RatchetClank92
Member since 2020 • 1361 Posts

I hope this motivates people to be better to the environment after the pandemic, it is disgusting to see all the pollution of masks and gloves from ignorant imbeciles. I do think humans as a species have overpopulated and significantly abused the earth, so it is hard to think of us ever fixing all the damage we have done in human history.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58534 Posts

Read today that you can see Mt Everest from India for the first time in 30 years. That's pretty incredible, especially given the amount of unregulated industry/pollution in that area of the world.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts

Not a fan