How to respond to girls fishing for compliments?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by SoSadLife (197 posts) -

All of us have probably seen this. I know this really pretty girl who tells me stuff like "I look terrible" and I'm not sure on how to respond to her. She's very cute and I like her a lot. I'm head over heels for her and some of my friends warned me not to spoil her with affection and I should make her come back for more. Should I oblige by telling her she's beautiful or disregard or what should I do exactly? She's much more prettier than I am if you compare us, I'd say she's out of my league.

I'd appreciate any advice.

#2 Edited by 4myAmuzumament (1743 posts) -

everyone likes a compliment

#3 Edited by plageus900 (965 posts) -

All women do this and it's nauseating. No matter what your answer is, its not good enough.

You can't win OP. Women are sociopaths.

#4 Posted by Braun_Roid_Rage (716 posts) -

I say rude shit to them and they eat it up.

#5 Posted by Master_Live (13994 posts) -

Go for it.

#6 Posted by Iszdope (9560 posts) -

Go fishing.

#7 Posted by AtariKidX (6202 posts) -

Tell her if she likes italian sausage.

#8 Posted by plageus900 (965 posts) -

I say rude shit to them and they eat it up.

Women love a good asshole.

#9 Edited by Nibroc420 (13567 posts) -

This

#10 Posted by xdude85 (4329 posts) -

If she really doesn't look good, then tell her she looks like shit. Women love honest men.

#11 Posted by DreamingMind (45 posts) -

She says: "I look terrible."

You say: "Come on, you know you don't." and give her a reassuring pat in the back.

You win.

#12 Posted by andyleigh (32 posts) -

We do fish for compliments and I'll agree - we can be sociopaths, but only in the "fun" term, not the literal Ted Bundy way. And when I say fun, I mean still effing annoying, but at least we're not serial killing people. But everyone is annoying every once in awhile. I digress.

We'll fish for compliments when we feel like shite and need reassurance. This fishing will begin to cease as soon as:

-the lady knows she'll never look like the cover of a magazine

-when she finds a guy who she may have a future with (and therefore, won't feel the need to constantly look perfect)

-when she stops competing with every female she sees

Some or even none of these things will happen for some, so there will be gals who will always be throwing that line out there to see if they can get a bite. But, with age, it should dwindle. For now, if she fishes with an 'I look terrible' line, go with 'Why do you think that?'. I know sometimes I say 'I feel fat', but I'm not looking for a response. It's because I just ate half a pizza and need to go into a food coma.

#13 Posted by awesome3496 (2150 posts) -

The answer to every girl help thread.

#14 Posted by Treflis (11427 posts) -

Just reply with " Your worst critic is yourself"

And just leave it at that.

#15 Posted by ultimate-k (2348 posts) -

Girls are needed to be loved not understood. Love her.

#16 Posted by thebest31406 (3314 posts) -
#17 Posted by Crunchy_Nuts (2749 posts) -

Girl - 'I look terrible'

You - 'Yes, yes you do. Have a nice day'

#18 Edited by TheFlush (5474 posts) -

insult them.

#19 Edited by InEMplease (6323 posts) -

If she says she looks terrible, you tell her she smells even worse.

#20 Posted by one_plum (6330 posts) -

"I look even more terrible. Cheer me up."

#21 Posted by KeepClearx (59 posts) -

Tell her she looks chubby and her skin looks rough implying you think she's a smoker. Instant date, trust me

#22 Edited by drekula2 (1898 posts) -

i'd prob tease her about it but if i couldnt think of something clever, I'd say "nah, ur fine" and move on.

#23 Edited by vl4d_l3nin (827 posts) -

Tell her she looks chubby and her skin looks rough implying you think she's a smoker. Instant date, trust me

but smokers are thin..dat suppressed appetite.

#24 Edited by KeepClearx (59 posts) -

@vl4d_l3nin: lol say that to a overweight smoker who loves his/her food

#25 Posted by Gaming-Planet (13883 posts) -

I tell them they're ugly.

#26 Posted by foxhound_fox (87368 posts) -

It sounds like she has self-esteem issues. You should find a woman who is self-aware and self-confident. Decidedly comfortable with how she looks. Then compliments you give her will be genuine.

#27 Posted by ChiefvsGordon (1085 posts) -

Everyone wants a girlfriend until they get a girlfriend lol. It's a trap!!!

#28 Posted by Sword-Demon (6943 posts) -

I typically use sarcasm or backhanded compliments.

let her know you think she looks good without being a suck-up.

#29 Posted by ExtremeBanana (152 posts) -

I think the good ol' "shut up, you're fat" works well.

#30 Posted by Serraph105 (27739 posts) -

Throw her a compliment, it's harmless and it might get you laid. And if you aren't looking to get laid do it anyways and people might come to see you as a good person.

#31 Posted by plageus900 (965 posts) -

It sounds like she has self-esteem issues. You should find a woman who is self-aware and self-confident. Decidedly comfortable with how she looks. Then compliments you give her will be genuine.

Ha! Tell me which planet I can find those on.

#32 Edited by Evdne971 (221 posts) -

Your friends are right!!!

My friends never compliment, and when they do it's honest as hell bro, and it's worth gold is you rarely give em, so she'll have proof that she can get a compliment, but it ain't cheap either

#33 Edited by redstorm72 (4518 posts) -

When I'm in that situation I usually just say something noncommittal like "you look fine" then move on to another subject. I don't particularly believe in being a dick to women just to get them to be interested in you. I know it works, but if they are really that pathetic that they will come crawling back to you no matter how many times you cut them down, then I really don't want to be in a relationship with them. Conversely, if they are constantly fishing for compliments, I'm not going to constantly compliment them either. I don't have time for insecure needy people. I like a girl who is confident in who they are.

Long story short, if a girl starts fishing for compliments it sets of warning bells for me.

#34 Posted by BattleSpectre (5953 posts) -

Women can fuck right off. Like a wise man once said "You're not paying for the hooker, you're paying for her to leave at the end".

BattleSpectre does not recommend the long-time use of hookers, and takes no responsibility for any damage caused.

#35 Posted by Shottayouth13- (6727 posts) -

It takes a lot to get a compliment from me. Fishing won't cut it.

#36 Posted by SolidSnake35 (58055 posts) -

Ignore them... unless you are interested in their fertility.

#37 Edited by Toxic-Seahorse (4094 posts) -

Usually sarcasm.

#38 Edited by Netret0120 (1999 posts) -

Be rude to them. Treat her badly and tease her for looking bad. Women love bad boys which is mind-boggling to me smh.

#39 Edited by Pirate700 (46465 posts) -

I don't play into it. This girl I work with, the other day, asked me if she looks like someone who works out. My response was I'm not answering that. lol I cannot stand when chicks fish for compliments. If you tell me that you don't think you look good, then ok...I'm not gonna play that game.

#40 Posted by br0kenrabbit (12804 posts) -

I don't play into it. This girl I work with, the other day, asked me if she looks like someone who works out. My response was I'm not answering that. lol I cannot stand when chicks fish for compliments. If you tell me that you don't think you look good, then ok...I'm not gonna play that game.

:p

You gotta play the game if you wanna win.

#41 Posted by chaplainDMK (6670 posts) -

Brutal sarcasm is the only appropriate response

#42 Posted by deeliman (2355 posts) -
#43 Posted by br0kenrabbit (12804 posts) -
#44 Edited by Pirate700 (46465 posts) -

@br0kenrabbit said:

@Pirate700 said:

:p

You gotta play the game if you wanna win.

lol if it was a chick I was interested in, sure. It was funny, when she asked it, my manager and I just looked at each other. lol

#45 Posted by br0kenrabbit (12804 posts) -

lol if it was a chick I was interested in, sure. It was funny, when she asked it, my manager and I just looked at each other. lol

The thing about girls...they like you more if all the other girls like you, too. Even if they don't like the other girls.

^Truism^

#46 Posted by Leejjohno (14088 posts) -

everyone likes a compliment

Certain "omega" individuals have so little self esteem that compliments trigger a paranoid response. At least that's what I heard.