How to move on with life if online identity has been exposed

• 61 results
#1 Posted by MDK12345 (600 posts) -

So let's say you used to goof around in a couple of forums when you were younger. And people started searching deep and even though couldn't prove it was you, highly suspected, and even people with big mouths that knew you told them. This could affect you for the rest of your life. Though you could try to cover yourself, you can't erase the whole internet. Look, we all make mistakes. Sometimes we didn't know better. So how do you move on with your life? Can you overcome this or are you just doomed for eternity. I'm not talking about posting child stuff or anything crazy like that, but if you came across really goofy and even seemed stupid or borderline creepy or annoying.

#2 Posted by CyberLips (1821 posts) -

Apologize to those people i guess, though i don't fully understand your situation.

#3 Posted by MDK12345 (600 posts) -

but you don't understand. the info becomes public.

#4 Posted by SaintLeonidas (26055 posts) -

Enough with these fucking threads.

#5 Posted by MDK12345 (600 posts) -

Enough with these fucking threads.

people are not giving thorough answers

#6 Edited by Revisited (224 posts) -

@SaintLeonidas:

Are these a bunch of troll threads? Cause I was gonna ask what the f*** is this s*** but then saw your post and assumed it was just a troll topic.

#7 Posted by MDK12345 (600 posts) -

@SaintLeonidas:

Are these a bunch of troll threads? Cause I was gonna ask what the f*** is this s*** but then saw your post and assumed it was just a troll topic.

its not. does everything have to be a troll?

#8 Posted by harry_james_pot (10602 posts) -

Isn't this like the fourth thread on this subject?

#9 Posted by MDK12345 (600 posts) -

I'm sorry. Just felt a little anxious. Whenever I ask these questions, nobody has too much to say or add.

#10 Posted by harry_james_pot (10602 posts) -

@mdk12345 said:

@harry_james_pot said:

I'm sorry. Just felt a little anxious. Whenever I ask these questions, nobody has too much to say or add.

If they didn't help the first 3 times, they won't help now. :P

#11 Edited by MDK12345 (600 posts) -

Well you never know. Put yourself in someone shoes that regrets and is worried day in and day out about this stuff. Guys, this is on off topic section. Not like I'm spamming the game section, come on.

#12 Posted by airshocker (29051 posts) -

@mdk12345 said:

Well you never know. Put yourself in someone shoes that regrets and is worried day in and day out about this stuff. Guys, this is on off topic section. Not like I'm spamming the game section, come on.

But you're spamming none-the-less.

Stop. Get over it and move on with your life. It's as simple as that.

#13 Posted by MDK12345 (600 posts) -

@mdk12345 said:

But you're spamming none-the-less.

Stop. Get over it and move on with your life. It's as simple as that.

I've already stopped. I wasn't exactly spamming anymore than other people on here that posted multiple threads. But I stopped. I still am asking for advice though. Is that fair enough?

#14 Posted by jasean79 (2359 posts) -

So, you did something when you were younger that you regret, it became public, and now you're trying to...what, make amends with your former self?

Celebrities do it all the time and they bounce back and still have careers. AND these are people that are always in the public eye. If they can do it, I'm pretty sure you'll be forgiven for your mistakes.

Now stop being a worry wart and get on with your life.

#15 Posted by thehig1 (1418 posts) -

How would stuff you said on forums year ago affect your real life, its seems very unlikely and your being paranoid or writing a novel about it.

#16 Posted by Star0 (443 posts) -

Unlucky mate. Your life is ruined forever.

#17 Posted by Nuck81 (5837 posts) -

Don't try to be something you're not. Problem solved

#18 Edited by MDK12345 (600 posts) -

@Star0 said:

Unlucky mate. Your life is ruined forever.

Sometimes I want to cry

#19 Edited by evildead6789 (7514 posts) -

@mdk12345 said:

So let's say you used to goof around in a couple of forums when you were younger. And people started searching deep and even though couldn't prove it was you, highly suspected, and even people with big mouths that knew you told them. This could affect you for the rest of your life. Though you could try to cover yourself, you can't erase the whole internet. Look, we all make mistakes. Sometimes we didn't know better. So how do you move on with your life? Can you overcome this or are you just doomed for eternity. I'm not talking about posting child stuff or anything crazy like that, but if you came across really goofy and even seemed stupid or borderline creepy or annoying.

sarcasm, irony, fantasy

is not a crime

people who try to bring you down because you were goofy or whatever, are worthless entities that don't want to seem worthless.

they are so worthless they need to bring someone else down just to look good. Avoid them

and get on with your life, there are intelligent people around who actually can see the irony, sarcasm or plain fantasy of your mindless posts.

words are just words.

#20 Posted by MDK12345 (600 posts) -

@mdk12345 said:

sarcasm, irony, fantasy

is not a crime

people who try to bring you down because you were goofy or whatever, are worthless entities that don't want to seem worthless.

they are so worthless they need to bring someone else down just to look good. Avoid them

and get on with your life, there are intelligent people around who actually can see the irony, sarcasm or plain fantasy of your mindless posts.

words are just words.

True. But let me give u an example. (this didn't happen to me) But let's say years ago you used to have a friend that thought he was Peter Pan and was just really out there. And u joked about it online for a lengthy amount of time and people would laugh and mock like crazy. Or let's say you would talk about how much you wanted a girl and sounded desperate. See, not only would these examples be funny or stupid, but it makes the person look weird, out there and troubled.

Could such a person move on with his life? I mean stuff like that could affect the persons job hunt, etc...

#21 Edited by Kenocratic (92 posts) -

Reading the first post clears up some confusion I had about the thread title. The title alone wouldn't be anything to worry about if your identity was up on a well respected business site that you owned. For example your IT contractor or lawyer website would have your real name so that's ok. But I can see the problem described if you posted shady stuff on shady, unscrupulous, dodgy off topic forums like this one. .. Just a little teasing there, I exaggerated a bit with the last part.

#22 Posted by SUD123456 (4417 posts) -

Your Peter Pan and liking a girl examples are trivial shit that no one over 13 could possibly care about. You sound like some dumb teenager on suicide watch because of a whole lotta nothing. People around the world have daily struggles to survive and you are worried about worthless internet posting. Get a personality. Ditch your loser friends if they give a flying fiddlers fuck about anything you have written on the net. And most importantly, grow up.

#23 Posted by SaintLeonidas (26055 posts) -

The fact that other threads have been locked, while all of these are still open, is quite disheartening. Good job Gamespot...good job.

#24 Edited by evildead6789 (7514 posts) -

@mdk12345 said:

@evildead6789 said:

@mdk12345 said:

sarcasm, irony, fantasy

is not a crime

words are just words.

True. But let me give u an example. (this didn't happen to me) But let's say years ago you used to have a friend that thought he was Peter Pan and was just really out there. And u joked about it online for a lengthy amount of time and people would laugh and mock like crazy. Or let's say you would talk about how much you wanted a girl and sounded desperate. See, not only would these examples be funny or stupid, but it makes the person look weird, out there and troubled.

Could such a person move on with his life? I mean stuff like that could affect the persons job hunt, etc...

of course he can

besides, are you sure a picture is linked to that online identity. Because if it's your face on there, you have rights, privacy rights. If you want your picture to be removed, then that's possible.

As for your name , i'm not sure, but you can always say it's somebody else

If you were a minor while posting this, you have rights as well.

Besides anyone that has grown up in facebook era, will have something on them

and peter pan in love with a girl.. nothing wrong with that.

#25 Posted by turtlethetaffer (16679 posts) -

It's called being a dumb teenager with access to the internet. I wouldn't sweat it.

#26 Edited by MDK12345 (600 posts) -

@evildead6789 said:

@mdk12345 said:

@evildead6789 said:

@mdk12345 said:

sarcasm, irony, fantasy

is not a crime

words are just words.

of course he can

besides, are you sure a picture is linked to that online identity. Because if it's your face on there, you have rights, privacy rights. If you want your picture to be removed, then that's possible.

You make me feel better. Maybe it's not a big deal. No they don't have my pic or name, but they tried to find it and I'm sure if they were really smart, would be able to find me with a savvy strategy. I'm sure they could. And it would be embarrassing if they suspected I was that poster. Really embarrassing. I regret sometimes saying a little too much. Truth is people don't really care at the end of the day, but it's always possible to run into that one unreasonable person that makes things miserable for you. And like I said, I've seen articles about employers doing extensive searches. When you have hundreds of posters talking about you one day, researching your past posts, and trying to figure you out, it can get nerve racking.

#27 Edited by evildead6789 (7514 posts) -

@mdk12345 said:

@evildead6789 said:

@mdk12345 said:

@evildead6789 said:

@mdk12345 said:

sarcasm, irony, fantasy

is not a crime

words are just words.

of course he can

You make me feel better. Maybe it's not a big deal. No they don't have my pic or name, but they tried to find it and I'm sure if they were really smart, would be able to find me with a savvy strategy. I'm sure they could. And it would be embarrassing if they suspected I was that poster. Really embarrassing. I regret sometimes saying a little too much. Truth is people don't really care at the end of the day, but it's always possible to run into that one unreasonable person that makes things miserable for you. And like I said, I've seen articles about employers doing extensive searches.

time will wash it out, the people that can actually link it to you will forget you in time, and the internet doesn't keep everything, not for decades anyway. Server storage costs money and this IT bubble won't last forever.

They can't just keep every single post of people on forums, in the end it costs money to store this data. Not those ten sentences you wrote maybe but millions of people over a dozen years, that's a whole lot of posts. Companies go bankrupt as well and data get's lost too, especially unimportant stuff like you just mentioned.

Besides , they can never really prove it was you that posted it, they may have a hunch, but if you keep denying it there's no way to know for sure, or they should go though history of ip adresses and computer and even then, there are other people in the house, or you had a visitor

but that's just pushing it, the only reason people would do that is because you're involved in serious crimes and then those people can only be the police, because messing with your privacy is forbidden for a civilian.

and even then , in case of serious crimes, they have trouble finding what's what and who's who. Normally a criminal only get's caught, because he keeps on doing crimes and starts making mistakes.

#28 Posted by Wilfred_Owen (20835 posts) -

One day, when I finally learn how to talk to someone outside, I'll probably shit myself.

#29 Edited by gamerman1011 (73 posts) -

what?? i dont even

#30 Posted by BranKetra (48194 posts) -

I suggest you change your behavior now and apologize for your past when necessary. If a party attempts to do a smear campaign about you, there are ways to defend against that.

#31 Posted by MDK12345 (600 posts) -

I suggest you change your behavior now and apologize for your past when necessary. If a party attempts to do a smear campaign about you, there are ways to defend against that.

you're saying to admit it? what do u mean defend against it?

#32 Posted by BranKetra (48194 posts) -
@mdk12345 said:

@BranKetra said:

you're saying to admit it? what do u mean defend against it?

If you feel compelled to then yes. Doing so is a courageous act, though I suggest it with a certain amount of tact involved. i.e. Who you say it to and how you say it are important. Defending against it is possible with proper etiquette and tact. A sense of self-worth is a powerful state of being.

#33 Posted by MDK12345 (600 posts) -

Evildead, do you agree that I should dare to admit what I posted if necessary? That just seems crazy, especially since I didn't commit a crime with my postings or any hate. Just made myself look like a fool.

#34 Posted by indzman (17259 posts) -

Why some peoples take online so seriously , geez

#35 Posted by MDK12345 (600 posts) -

@indzman said:

I don't know! But it seems to be more like ''real life'' these days, especially in the digital media age.

#36 Edited by CyberLips (1821 posts) -

@mdk12345 said:

Evildead, do you agree that I should dare to admit what I posted if necessary? That just seems crazy, especially since I didn't commit a crime with my postings or any hate. Just made myself look like a fool.

What do you mean admit? I thought your identity was already compromised.

And please use the "reply" button.

#37 Edited by BranKetra (48194 posts) -
@indzman said:

#38 Edited by MDK12345 (600 posts) -

@CyberLips said:

@mdk12345 said:

What do you mean admit? I thought your identity was already compromised.

And please use the "reply" button.

No it wasn't, but they were trying real hard to find it. They could if they were really savvy. They wouldn't know for sure, but would be pretty sure.

#39 Posted by CyberLips (1821 posts) -

@mdk12345: Are those people your friends? Do you know them in real life? If not then just stop talking to them. If yes then don't bring it up again, they could forget about it.

#40 Posted by Iszdope (9680 posts) -

Grow a beard.

#41 Posted by MDK12345 (600 posts) -

@mdk12345: Are those people your friends? Do you know them in real life? If not then just stop talking to them. If yes then don't bring it up again, they could forget about it.

No I don't. Just kids from the forum. Some maybe adults though.

#42 Posted by CyberLips (1821 posts) -

@mdk12345 said:

@CyberLips said:

This forum?

Unless you threatened someone's life i doubt that they would waste their time to try and find out who you are. Just relax, everyone is stupid on the internet, it's what makes it so great. :)

#43 Posted by MDK12345 (600 posts) -

@mdk12345 said:

@CyberLips said:

This forum?

Unless you threatened someone's life i doubt that they would waste their time to try and find out who you are. Just relax, everyone is stupid on the internet, it's what makes it so great. :)

I didn't threaten anybody at all. But u are wrong about them not wasting their time and trying to find who you are. They do purely because they have nothing else to do sometimes.

#44 Edited by Korvus (3238 posts) -

How bad can it possibly be if it's just forums? Were you an asshole toward everybody? So what, lots of people here are and I wouldn't punch them in the face if I met them in real life either...

#45 Posted by MDK12345 (600 posts) -

@korvus said:

How bad can it possibly be if it's just forums? Were you an asshole toward everybody? So what, lots of people here are and I wouldn't punch them in the face if I met them in real life either...

I wasn't an asshole, but made myself look like a douche bag and though funny, to some even boderline creepy and strange

#46 Edited by Korvus (3238 posts) -

@mdk12345: And has anyone threatened anything against you because of that? Actual threats to your actual person, not the forums persona.

#47 Posted by KHAndAnime (13462 posts) -

I don't think anyone cares. If anyone asks (which I highly doubt anyone will), tell them you were dicking around on the internet because you were bored. Sounds like you're being anxious for nothing.

#48 Edited by hoosier7 (3780 posts) -

Kill the accounts/change the passwords to some jibberish you can't guess and forget about it. If it ever crops up in life then you can explain. Not much else to it imo.

If it's stuff like employers finding it then i doubt they'll look that far, google search your own name to check and i really doubt there'll be anything from the forums there. They won't dig that far and won't care about some forum. It's your social media stuff that's obviously yours like your facebook, instagram or twitter that you need to keep in check and you can delete posts from all of those.

#49 Edited by MDK12345 (600 posts) -
@hoosier7 said:

Kill the accounts/change the passwords to some jibberish you can't guess and forget about it. If it ever crops up in life then you can explain. Not much else to it imo.

If it's stuff like employers finding it then i doubt they'll look that far, google search your own name to check and i really doubt there'll be anything from the forums there. They won't dig that far and won't care about some forum. It's your social media stuff that's obviously yours like your facebook, instagram or twitter that you need to keep in check and you can delete posts from all of those.

Why is social media more important that the forum? If it's still you.. Yea I no longer go on that forum anymore. But they seem to bring me up at times.

@KHAndAnime said:

I don't think anyone cares. If anyone asks (which I highly doubt anyone will), tell them you were dicking around on the internet because you were bored. Sounds like you're being anxious for nothing.

Hope you're right. But it's just that I've read on some websites that your online reputation is so important and that they'd dig so deep to find everything. Like this site right here http://www.thesocialfirm.com/blog/reputation-management/why-your-online-reputation-matters

#50 Edited by DaJuicyMan (3456 posts) -

If someone has to go back 7 years to have something (petty as f*** btw) on you, you're doing pretty well.