How to make my family respect my beliefs?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Ricardomz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Ricardomz
Member since 2012 • 2715 Posts

My family is 100% christian and they really like to worship God, they have a lot of bibles and bunch of christian books... it gets annoying actually. I don't believe in any of that stuff, and I respect it, however they don't respect me... they say I am a fool for not believing in God and that I am just too naive for being 17 years old and that it is just a phase. 

Quite a big phase, because I haven't believed God for years... My sister thinks she knows it all just because she says she sees things of the afterlife or whatever. But whatever, could you give me a couple of tips for me to make them respect my beliefs or maybe even some facts that makes christians speechless for not having an answer for that? 

Thank you.

Inb4 disfunctional family :P

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Pirate700
Member since 2008 • 46465 Posts

Have you told them that you respect their beliefs?

Avatar image for BenedictArnold7
BenedictArnold7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 BenedictArnold7
Member since 2012 • 743 Posts
You really can't convince people who refuse to be reasonable. Just nod all to their bs and do your own thing.
Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#4 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts
Do they force you to go to church?
Ricardomz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Ricardomz
Member since 2012 • 2715 Posts

Have you told them that you respect their beliefs?

Pirate700
Yes
You really can't convince people who refuse to be reasonable. Just nod all to their bs and do your own thing. BenedictArnold7
Oh that's a hard thing to do for someone with a harsh personality like mine. I always like to be the one talking last.
Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

Stop treating non-belief like a belief. 

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

When my family and I have totally different views on something we tend to not talk about it. Just don't draw attention to it.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#8 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

When my family and I have totally different views on something we tend to not talk about it. Just don't draw attention to it.

Aljosa23
Exactly, OP needs to learn that this is your family not the Harvard debate team.
norm41x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 norm41x
Member since 2011 • 813 Posts

You can't. If they're unreasonable or hold their beliefs so tight that they unknowingly disrespect you, then it's impossible. They will act like children and try to yell louder than you. I know because I have a very religious family on my moms side. I don't hang with them too much even though I am also religious. I have different views when it comes to certain things that they feel is probably the devils words coming out of my mouth. Can't do anything about it. Instead I hang around people who do respect my sh!t and avoid confrontation when around my family. Trying to convince these people to respect your views is just adding stress onto your shoulders and causes balding. DON'T DO IT!

konvikt_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 konvikt_17
Member since 2008 • 22378 Posts

you'll just have to live with it. you cant make them respect your belief, or lack thereof.

just keep things civil and dont take to heart what they say. maybe eventually they will at least come to terms with it and not berate you anymore.

my mom is kinda like that. she makes some comments to me. i just kinda smile and such. we dont really talk too much about it. shes just kinda accepted it.

my dad, he dont give a fvck.

my moms side of the family however, thats a different story. only exception is my aunt and uncle. my uncle doesnt care, and my aunt actually respects my beliefs. she actually had me sit down with her while she asked me questions and listened to my answers. she was just curious why i believe what i believe. was nice.

religion has never come up on my dads side of the family.

surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 surrealnumber5
Member since 2008 • 23044 Posts
respect goes both ways, and people who respect each other can agree to disagree, if you are harping on this topic you are partially at fault for whatever tension is in the relationship. being agnostic i have never had problems with the religious, because i dont rub it in their face and when they relate something to their faith i dont whip my dick out all over them, metaphorically speaking of course.
xdude85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 xdude85
Member since 2006 • 6559 Posts
Start sacrificing animals.
Gargus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Gargus
Member since 2006 • 2147 Posts

If you want to "make someone respect your beliefs" then you do not deserve their respect.

Optical_Order

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Optical_Order
Member since 2008 • 5100 Posts

Beat them in various feats of strength. 

i_noseworthy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 i_noseworthy
Member since 2003 • 1585 Posts

My family is 100% christian and they really like to worship God, they have a lot of bibles and bunch of christian books... it gets annoying actually. I don't believe in any of that stuff, and I respect it, however they don't respect me... they say I am a fool for not believing in God and that I am just too naive for being 17 years old and that it is just a phase. 

Quite a big phase, because I haven't believed God for years... My sister thinks she knows it all just because she says she sees things of the afterlife or whatever. But whatever, could you give me a couple of tips for me to make them respect my beliefs or maybe even some facts that makes christians speechless for not having an answer for that? 

Thank you.

Ricardomz
So... you want a way to MAKE them RESPECT your beliefs... You're sure you're not Christian?
GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 GummiRaccoon
Member since 2003 • 13799 Posts

Thank you.

Ricardomz

First pretend to convert to Islam.

Then after about 6 months of that, tell them you are an Atheist.

mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 mindstorm
Member since 2003 • 15255 Posts
They are likely to be more willing to respect your beliefs if they first respect you as a person. In that sense there are two things of note, if they are truly living as Christians should then they should be a respecter of all people, especially one so close to them as being blood related. If they do not respect you then they simply are not living Christianly despite their claims. If someone claims to be a Christian and is hateful toward those who are not Christians then they care more about their perceived holiness and superiority than the teachings of their faith. Those who follow Jesus are called to love all people, regardless of race or creed. And two, if you act as one who is humble toward them, respecting their own opinions and views then you'd make their respecting of you all the more easier.
the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#18 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

Stop caring. That's the answer to way more problems than most people think.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#19 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

[QUOTE="Ricardomz"]

Thank you.

i_noseworthy

So... you want a way to MAKE them RESPECT your beliefs... You're sure you're not Christian?

Well done.

George-Costanza-clapping.gif

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#20 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

you can't make anyone respect your beliefs, they either will or will not.

All you can do is attempt live in peaceful ignorance in this one specific part of your life.

Be the bigger person and respect their beliefs whether they respect yours or not.

cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#21 cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

I haven't told my family not because they'd do dumb shit like that but because they'd constantly be trying to get me to be a Christian again so I wouldn't go to hell.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

Respect is not demanded, it is earned, this goes both ways.  If you want them to understand it better, they have to be reasonable and genuinly interested in learning more...if not, and many cases this is sadly how it is, then it is of no use.  Exmaplin yourself as simply as possible or just let them deal with it themselves.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts
Avoid confrontation, atleast until you get your own place. . . . Until then, keep a low profile.

or just suggest family councelling.

THE_DRUGGIE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 140

#24 THE_DRUGGIE
Member since 2006 • 25107 Posts

They are likely to be more willing to respect your beliefs if they first respect you as a person. In that sense there are two things of note, if they are truly living as Christians should then they should be a respecter of all people, especially one so close to them as being blood related. If they do not respect you then they simply are not living Christianly despite their claims. If someone claims to be a Christian and is hateful toward those who are not Christians then they care more about their perceived holiness and superiority than the teachings of their faith. Those who follow Jesus are called to love all people, regardless of race or cree.mindstorm

Tell your family this verbatim.

Amvis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#25 Amvis
Member since 2007 • 510 Posts

Thank you.

Ricardomz

I can sort of relate in the strangest way possible. My father was a Methodist pastor, and around the same age I was fully convinced that the Methodist Church wasn't right. So I looked into other denominations. My father didn't like it, and for the most part I had to keep it to myself and under wraps. Either I did that, or threatened to be put out of the house if I became too expressive. Eventually, we came to an agreement that as long as I lived with him, I would attend his church. It wasn't the ideal, but I took what I could get.

All I can say is that your best hope is to wait until you get out on your own. And to try to cooperate with your parents. They clothe you, feed you, and take care of you (unless they are really shitty). You're not in much of a position to defy them on such a serious matter until you really are out on your own.

The best way to handle it for now is to respect their beliefs, and hope they do the same. And if they don't then, as ironic as it may sound, turn the other cheak.

Wolf-Man2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#26 Wolf-Man2006
Member since 2006 • 4187 Posts

With all due respect, you can't make anybody respect you.. Best thing for you to do is try to convince them... It's not a 100% guarantee, but it is worth a shot

Wilfred_Owen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#27 Wilfred_Owen
Member since 2005 • 20964 Posts
Poop your pants. That'll scare'em off for a while.