How to lucid dream/control dreams?

• 52 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by ShadowsDemon (10127 posts) -

So basically I was wondering if you guys know anything abouttechniques for lucid dreaming and/or controlling your dreams. Say for example that you want to dream about something specific, and then remember it when you wake up as if it were real. How would you train yourself to do that?

Or even better, how would you lucid dream, and make sure that you stay within your dream and control it at the same time? I know this sounds Inceptionism, but it's been done before. Hell, even last night I had a dream that I sub-consciously controlled, (I think, I can't remember too much of it). But either way, what do you guys think? I'd love to learn how to do this, or anything related to dreaming. Any tips would be helpful.

Thanks. :)

#2 Posted by afflictatrophy (223 posts) -

First, get in the habit of asking yourself if you are dreaming, so that when you are indeed dreaming you will ask yourself. When you ask yourself if you're dreaming when you're awake do something like look at your hand, this way when you dream and ask you'll also look at your hand and youll probably notice something abnormal, you can do this with anything essentially. Also a good tip is to write down your dreams right after you wake up so that way you get in the habit of remembering them, not only that but you start to notice signs and things to recognize to notice you're dreaming. Hope this helps, just get in the habit, and once you're in the habit it will happen, after that it's just practice, your first few lucid dreams won't last very long usually.

#3 Posted by ShadowsDemon (10127 posts) -

First, get in the habit of asking yourself if you are dreaming, so that when you are indeed dreaming you will ask yourself. When you ask yourself if you're dreaming when you're awake do something like look at your hand, this way when you dream and ask you'll also look at your hand and youll probably notice something abnormal, you can do this with anything essentially. Also a good tip is to write down your dreams right after you wake up so that way you get in the habit of remembering them, not only that but you start to notice signs and things to recognize to notice you're dreaming. Hope this helps, just get in the habit, and once you're in the habit it will happen, after that it's just practice, your first few lucid dreams won't last very long usually.

afflictatrophy
Thanks. But I do also want to be able to dream normally, and to be able to control what I'm dreaming about. For instance, if I wanted to be a certain character in a dream what would I do, in that case, if I let the dream control itself from there on.
#4 Posted by JML897 (33120 posts) -
For me it's a lot easier to do with a short nap (30 minutes-ish) than a full night's sleep.
#5 Posted by ShadowsDemon (10127 posts) -
For me it's a lot easier to do with a short nap (30 minutes-ish) than a full night's sleep.JML897
I find it really hard to take naps, though.
#6 Posted by Rockman999 (7232 posts) -

I always find success by waking up an hour before I'll usually wake up and do something for 30 minutes before I go lay on the bed again.

#7 Posted by brucewayne69 (2859 posts) -

Damn that shat's real? I want in! What do you guys do in your lucid dream? I saw that in American Dad (hilarious episode) and thought it was fake.

#8 Posted by lamprey263 (23103 posts) -
I'm sure there's a wikiHow about it. Be sure you research how to get out of sleep paralysis.
#9 Posted by OB-47 (10908 posts) -

I know I'm in a dream most of the time. Controlling it is another thing though.

#10 Posted by brucewayne69 (2859 posts) -

How do you dream control? Personal tips?

#11 Posted by Neoklondiak (392 posts) -

There are websites and forums that teach techniques. Try Dreamviews or something.

#12 Posted by l4dak47 (6838 posts) -

There are websites and forums that teach techniques. Try Dreamviews or something.

Neoklondiak
hello, er......I already forgot your other account's name.
#13 Posted by Neoklondiak (392 posts) -

How do you dream control? Personal tips?

brucewayne69

Well first you have to become lucid....

#14 Posted by OB-47 (10908 posts) -

It's actually real funny how it works though.

I remember when I was young and could lucid dream, say I was to steal a car, I would be pedalling it. I didn't notice until I woke up. It's because I hadn't experienced driving before. Now that I have, I'm actually driving.

Just a weird note.

#15 Posted by Neoklondiak (392 posts) -

[QUOTE="afflictatrophy"]

ShadowsDemon

Thanks. But I do also want to be able to dream normally, and to be able to control what I'm dreaming about. For instance, if I wanted to be a certain character in a dream what would I do, in that case, if I let the dream control itself from there on.

That's not really how it works.... Are you sure you've had a genuine lucid dream before?

#16 Posted by Neoklondiak (392 posts) -

You'd be better off making a dreamviews account and asking there.

#17 Posted by CptJSparrow (10897 posts) -
#18 Posted by ShadowsDemon (10127 posts) -

[QUOTE="ShadowsDemon"][QUOTE="afflictatrophy"]

Neoklondiak

That's not really how it works.... Are you sure you've had a genuine lucid dream before?

I have, and that wasn't one of 'em, I know that much.
#19 Posted by Neoklondiak (392 posts) -

[QUOTE="Neoklondiak"]

[QUOTE="ShadowsDemon"] Thanks. But I do also want to be able to dream normally, and to be able to control what I'm dreaming about. For instance, if I wanted to be a certain character in a dream what would I do, in that case, if I let the dream control itself from there on.ShadowsDemon

I'm not sure if total dream control is even possible. Lucidity and "Dream control" are not the same thing.

#20 Posted by Neoklondiak (392 posts) -

Also, the mnemnonic induction technique that guy told you about doesn't work very well in my experience. You're better off learning the WILD or DEILD methods. Hard though they may be.

#21 Posted by ShadowsDemon (10127 posts) -

[QUOTE="ShadowsDemon"][QUOTE="Neoklondiak"]

Neoklondiak

I'm not sure if total dream control is even possible. Lucidity and "Dream control" are not the same thing.

I don't mean total control. I mean, for example, if I wanted to dream about being a rock star, how could that be possible? I wouldn't be totally controlling it, just starting the motion.
#22 Posted by Neoklondiak (392 posts) -

[QUOTE="Neoklondiak"]

[QUOTE="ShadowsDemon"] I have, and that wasn't one of 'em, I know that much.ShadowsDemon

I don't mean total control. I mean, for example, if I wanted to dream about being a rock star, how could that be possible? I wouldn't be totally controlling it, just starting the motion.

That's the thing, I'm not sure if it's possible. When you're lucid you tend to just have to run with whatever scenario you've dreamed up.

#23 Posted by FearMe801 (1249 posts) -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llw717IARpQ

#24 Posted by TrainerCeleste (1774 posts) -

I've been trying :3

I've gotten into the habit of writing everything down and falling back asleep after I wake up and dreaming twice sometiems in a night and I love it :)

#25 Posted by Smokescreened84 (2484 posts) -
I can always tell when I'm dreaming because I can't feel my disability pain and no matter what lights are on, it's always dark. Keeping those in my mind help me to know when I'm dreaming, if I struggle to wake then I force a part of my body, like my hands or my feet, to suddenly spasm and it kicks me out of the dream.
#26 Posted by Angie7F (1120 posts) -

.CptJSparrow

I have been wondering for ages about this guy's hair! Now I am sure I will dream about it tonight...

Anywho, back on topic...

I tend to have dreams about what I spent a lot of time thinking about during the day, so the more obbsessed with womething, the higher the tendancy i will dream about it.

AS for lucid dreams, if youe body is dead tired but your mind needs or want to wake up, you tend to have lucid dreams.

So maybe tiring your body our during the day will help?

#27 Posted by tocool340 (20483 posts) -

I embarrassed myself at school once because of a lucid dream...:lol:

I found myself dosing off on one of my teachers lecture videos. With my head rock back and forth I ended up closing my eyes for just a moment. When I opened them again, I thought I was awake since it felt like I only closed them for 5 seconds. I just stared at the ceiling for moment, listening to the video going and on. Then I looked down at my keyboard and thought I seen this on it:

Huntsman

Huntsman

I....didn't too much think, just reacted. Pretty much destroyed my keyboard after I punched the hell out of it trying to kill the spider, making a loud noise which resulted in many people staring at me....:P

#28 Posted by johnd13 (7984 posts) -

I get lucid dreams which I later remember all the time and I love it. It is amazing how vivid it is while inside such dreams. Hell I had one some hours ago.

I would be really interested though to be able to control myself while dreaming (it doesn' t happen to me often) so as to realize it' s dream and then act appropriately. I may give the sites you people mentioned a try.

#29 Posted by sune_Gem (12463 posts) -

I lucid dream naturally all the time. I realize I'm dreaming because I feel warm where ever I go in the dream (obviously because I'm in bed), things also appear to be some what more blurry most the time and I also just start noticing things that aren't making sense.

I lucid dream so often I've devolped techniques of the mind to control the world. For example, even when I'm aware I'm dreaming some times I just can't fly. It just doesn't work. The solution to this I found is to literally just blast off, don't fly up slowly, flaps your invisible wings or such, but launch up like a rocket. Then for what ever reason I'm able to fly. I also noticed if I attempt this flight near the end of my dream cycle it becomes hard to sustain the dream and usually wakes me up.

#30 Posted by Barbariser (6724 posts) -

I've become lucid during dreams before but I've never been able to maintain the state of being either lucid or asleep. The moment I realize that I'm dreaming and attempt to seize control of my dream body I'm guaranteed to wake up in a couple of minutes.

#31 Posted by tenaka2 (17019 posts) -

So basically I was wondering if you guys know anything abouttechniques for lucid dreaming and/or controlling your dreams. Say for example that you want to dream about something specific, and then remember it when you wake up as if it were real. How would you train yourself to do that?

Or even better, how would you lucid dream, and make sure that you stay within your dream and control it at the same time? I know this sounds Inceptionism, but it's been done before. Hell, even last night I had a dream that I sub-consciously controlled, (I think, I can't remember too much of it). But either way, what do you guys think? I'd love to learn how to do this, or anything related to dreaming. Any tips would be helpful.

Thanks. :)

ShadowsDemon

For me the easiest time is the morning on the weekends if you choose to stay in bed, perhaps its because it is a lighter sleep, I find it easy to have lucid dreams at that time.

#32 Posted by Lyncaster (217 posts) -
I'm one of the only people that can always control his dreams :P
#33 Posted by Celldrax (14563 posts) -

For years I've been far too lazy to try and learn to lucid dream. And my sleeping pattern is usually all over the place.

It would certainly be better though than those clustermindf*ck dreams I have, usually before fully waking up.

#34 Posted by sune_Gem (12463 posts) -

For years I've been far too lazy to try and learn to lucid dream. And my sleeping pattern is usually all over the place.

It would certainly be better though than those clustermindf*ck dreams I have, usually before fully waking up.

Celldrax

Those are the greatest kind!

#35 Posted by Celldrax (14563 posts) -

[QUOTE="Celldrax"]

sune_Gem

I don't like a lot of them.

Fiction and reality come together as one, as my brain turns to putty while I try and figure out just what the hell is going on... And then I come to my sense, feeling slightly weirded out...

I want to remember something with a little more comprehension for once :P

#36 Posted by ShadowsDemon (10127 posts) -

[QUOTE="sune_Gem"]

[QUOTE="Celldrax"]

Celldrax

Fiction and reality come together as one, as my brain turns to putty while I try and figure out just what the hell is going on... And then I come to my sense, feeling slightly weirded out...

Yeah but those type of dreams would be awesome, I'd kill to have them :P
#38 Posted by johnd13 (7984 posts) -

[QUOTE="Celldrax"]

[QUOTE="sune_Gem"]

ShadowsDemon

I get these all the time and it' s awesome! Only thing I can ask for is having control while inside these dreams.

#39 Posted by ShadowsDemon (10127 posts) -
Also, do you guys have any idea how one can trigger dreams themselves...the standard ones that you remember? I want to have more of those. :(
#40 Posted by ShadowsDemon (10127 posts) -

[QUOTE="ShadowsDemon"][QUOTE="Celldrax"]

johnd13

I get these all the time and it' s awesome! Only thing I can ask for is having control while inside these dreams.

Sometimes it's better to let the dreams control themselves. I just want to be able to stay inside them.
#41 Posted by Swanogt19 (24159 posts) -
No I have not.
#42 Posted by sune_Gem (12463 posts) -

I had a dream recently that GameSpot gave me a virus that started installing a load of poorly made flash mini-games on my laptop. One was something to do with The Grinch I think. :lol:

Wasn't lucid, but thought I'd share it.

#43 Posted by ShadowsDemon (10127 posts) -

I had a dream recently that GameSpot gave me a virus that started installing a load of poorly made flash mini-games on my laptop. One was something to do with The Grinch I think. :lol:

sune_Gem
Interesting. Was I in it? It would have been a nightmare in that case.
#44 Posted by sune_Gem (12463 posts) -

[QUOTE="sune_Gem"]

ShadowsDemon

I don't remember any user being in it, I just sort of logged onto the front page.

#45 Posted by ShadowsDemon (10127 posts) -

[QUOTE="ShadowsDemon"][QUOTE="sune_Gem"]

sune_Gem

I don't remember any user being in it, I just sort of logged onto the front page.

Just as well for you then :P
#46 Posted by ShadowsDemon (10127 posts) -
Anyone else got anything to add? :(
#47 Posted by Strakha (1781 posts) -

The only way I have ever been able to control my dreams is by waking up then going back to sleep into the same dream. However I often can't get back into the same dream after waking up. The sooner you get back to sleep the more likely it is and it also helps if you are thinking about the dream and what you would like to happen next or be able to change while falling to sleep.

#48 Posted by ShadowsDemon (10127 posts) -

The only way I have ever been able to control my dreams is by waking up then going back to sleep into the same dream. However I often can't get back into the same dream after waking up. The sooner you get back to sleep the more likely it is and it also helps if you are thinking about the dream and what you would like to happen next or be able to change while falling to sleep.

Strakha
Well that's kinda hard to do, actually, considering that your mind wanders when you fall asleep...
#49 Posted by johnd13 (7984 posts) -

Strakha

Actually I do that a lot when I wake up and want to continue a really great dream.

#50 Posted by ShadowsDemon (10127 posts) -

[QUOTE="Strakha"]

johnd13

Actually I do that a lot when I wake up and want to continue a really great dream.

I set my alarm to 5 this morning, and recorded a dream that I had. I went back to sleep but didn't get anything else :(