How to get friend to stop smoking at your house?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

crazyguy111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 crazyguy111
Member since 2013 • 406 Posts

Hey, I have a friend who happens to be a foreign exchange student from China(I live in U.S btw). He also has a smoking problem, and sometimes when he comes over he smokes his "fake" cigarettes in my bedroom. The smell is disgusting, and the cigarettes may contain nicotine, although i'm not sure. I told him to stop doing it twice when he was in my house but he ignored me. Eventually he stopped though. Sometimes he goes outside and smokes in my neighborhood, which doesn't really bother me.

I'm afraid he may do it again, and I have a 16 year old brother who also shares the room with me. The problem is that we do many projects together and hand out sometimes, and I don't want to stop having him over. I also hate getting mad at people. Any suggestions? Thoughts?

He's 18 BTW.

tofu-lion91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 tofu-lion91
Member since 2008 • 13496 Posts

Tell him to stop and if he doesn't politely ask him to leave and explain why. I'm a smoker but I wouldn't dream of lighting up in someone's house, it just shows a lack of respect. If you find it tough to tell him this then get someone there with you, maybe your brother or a friend for support.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Tell him to stop smoking

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

Just to be clear, is he staying at your house? If that is the case then I might see some leeway on letting him smoke inside your house (not your room) since he is your guest and you should had asked him if he smoked or made sure no smoking student were sent to your home. If he isn't staying at your house then GTFO, grow a pair and tell him to stop smoking or go away. Even if he is staying at your house you should make it clear that your room is off limits, by force if necessary.

crazyguy111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By crazyguy111
Member since 2013 • 406 Posts

@Master_Live said:

Just to be clear, is he staying at your house? If that is the case then I might see some leeway on letting him smoke inside your house (not your room) since he is your guest and you should had ask him if he smoked or made sure no smoking student were sent to your home. If he isn't staying at your house then GTFO, grow a pair and tell him to stop smoking or go away. Even if he is staying at your house you should make it clear that your room is off limits, by force if necessary.

He's not staying at my house.

elkoldo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By elkoldo
Member since 2009 • 1832 Posts

Jesus...an 18 year old smokes

Tell him that he'll die of lung cancer real soon if he doesn't quit.

ultimate-k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ultimate-k
Member since 2010 • 2348 Posts

If he is a guest and doing it,I would not even let him in the house if he's being a disrespectful prick.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts

@tofu-lion91 said:

Tell him to stop and if he doesn't politely ask him to leave and explain why. I'm a smoker but I wouldn't dream of lighting up in someone's house, it just shows a lack of respect. If you find it tough to tell him this then get someone there with you, maybe your brother or a friend for support.

Well I ask first if I can light one and I get a yes pretty much all the time. But generally speaking I try not to be an ass and stink a closed place like a house or an apartment. I wouldn't do it unless I'm really in the mood for a cigarette.

On topic, its not that hard to tell someone not to do something in your own place. You ask a couple of times politely and in a humorous way to try and not embarrass them. After that you take it up a notch and tell them to flat out stop. If they keep doing the thing that's bothering you after all of this then I'm not sure you should be friends with said people.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 GazaAli
@elkoldo said:

That's kind of a stretch. Most of the grownup smokers I know have been smoking for +20 years at least and they're still alive at the age of +55 years.

konvikt_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By konvikt_17
Member since 2008 • 22378 Posts

what do you mean by "fake" cigarette?

if its pot, just say pot. or joints.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Master_Live

@konvikt_17 said:

what do you mean by "fake" cigarette?

if its pot, just say pot. or joints.

I think he means those electronic cigarettes.

konvikt_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 konvikt_17
Member since 2008 • 22378 Posts

Ah. makes sense.

Makhaidos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Makhaidos
Member since 2013 • 2162 Posts

Tell him to stop. If he lights up in the house again, take the cigarette out of his mouth and extinguish it and let him know in no uncertain terms that if he does it again, he's no longer welcome at your place.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

@elkoldo said:

You should take a walk around my high school, or come to my work. Cigarettes are still insanely popular among kids and young adults - 90% of the employees at my work (who are 18-24) are disgusting chain smokers. I avoid staff parties even, because the majority of the time every one likes to just sit outside and puff on cigarettes.

Makes me sick just thinking about it. Young people are so indifferent when it comes to their health...

OP, make it a clear policy that you don't allow smoking in your house. Smoke is bad for everything inside of your home. It discolours, stains, and damages electronics. Tell him to take that shit outside. If it's only an e-cig, it might just be dispensing vapor, which might not be nearly as harmful. But still - some vaporizing units still dispense smoke (because they are cheaply made).

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Master_Live

@KHAndAnime said:

@elkoldo said:

You should take a walk around my high school, or come to my work. Cigarettes are still insanely popular among kids and young adults - 90% of the employees at my work (who are 18-24) are disgusting chain smokers.

Where do you work?

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

@Master_Live said:

@KHAndAnime said:

@elkoldo said:

You should take a walk around my high school, or come to my work. Cigarettes are still insanely popular among kids and young adults - 90% of the employees at my work (who are 18-24) are disgusting chain smokers.

Where do you work?

Local medium-end Pizza place :P

I don't see why pizza places attract hipsters, alcoholics, and chain-smokers.

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Nibroc420
Member since 2007 • 13571 Posts

@crazyguy111 said:

He also has a smoking problem, and sometimes when he comes over he smokes his "fake" cigarettes in my bedroom. The smell is disgusting, and the cigarettes may contain nicotine, although i'm not sure. I told him to stop doing it twice when he was in my house but he ignored me

Explain to him that it's not his house, and you dont want your house to smell.If it's that bad, just stop inviting him over.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#18  Edited By sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

tell him to stop ortherwise you'll have to throw him out

4myAmuzumament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By 4myAmuzumament
Member since 2013 • 1791 Posts

Whip out your wiener and flop it around.

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#20 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5903 Posts

@sukraj said:

tell him to stop ortherwise you'll have to throw him out

This, or don't even allow him inside in the first place.

WickedChainy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By WickedChainy
Member since 2012 • 319 Posts

From what you've said you asked him to stop smoking inside and he stopped, so I'm not sure what the problem is or what you're trying to ask. I'm assuming you're talking about an Electronic Cigarette which are really not harmful to anyone to smoke inside. I don't have any experience with how much the smell or how long the smell stays inside.

Sword-Demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Sword-Demon
Member since 2008 • 7007 Posts

If he ignores you when you tell him not to smoke in your house, just tell him that if he doesn't stop then he won't be allowed over anymore.

Sure, it's not ideal to not let him visit, but you have to put your foot down or he'll walk all over you.

and this guy seems like a asshole; why are you friends with him anyway?

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts

Open a window and went out the smell if that fake cigarette bothers you that much, or ask him politely to do it outside.

Only thing the electric cigaretts do is give him that nicotine he's hooked on and blowing out essentially steam and some scent.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#24 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

It's vapor of propylene glycol which is a solvent used for food flavoring and a solvent for medicine like with asthma inhalers, considered safe by the FDA, sure you can probably smell it but that doesn't mean it's bad for you. And nicotine really isn't inherently bad for you either, it's a stimulant like caffeine. Problem with tobacco products like cigarettes is you're getting countless other bad chemicals with it. Still, it's your house, do what you want. But if the concern is for your health then you shouldn't be so concerned by vaping devices. Sure though nonsmokers usually can smell the vapor, that's to be expected. One of the other ingredients water and glycol used to create more of a smoke effect and sensation, at worst studies have shown that to be a irritant but that's dealing with theatrical and club performers that work among huge concentrated production of the fog machine produced smoke in their careers (the chemicals used in vaporizers and fog machines are essentially the same, some are water and glycol based, some fog machines use other ingredients though). Anyhow, it's not like people go to a club and when the fog kicks in their all like "damn it's so smokey in here lets leave". They use the same stuff for kids when they're playing indoor laser tag, I think you'll be fine, you're a big boy.

hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25 hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts

@crazyguy111 said:

Hey, I have a friend who happens to be a foreign exchange student from China(I live in U.S btw).

Is your friend Long Duk Dong from Sixteen Candles?

Avatar image for LostProphetFLCL
LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 LostProphetFLCL
Member since 2006 • 18526 Posts

All you need to do is this.

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts

@GazaAli said:
@elkoldo said:

That's kind of a stretch. Most of the grownup smokers I know have been smoking for +20 years at least and they're still alive at the age of +55 years.

You side of the world probably doesn't put toilet cleaner in tobacco. It's probably more natural.

cfisher2833

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 cfisher2833
Member since 2011 • 2150 Posts

@crazyguy111 said:

Hey, I have a friend who happens to be a foreign exchange student from China(I live in U.S btw). He also has a smoking problem, and sometimes when he comes over he smokes his "fake" cigarettes in my bedroom. The smell is disgusting, and the cigarettes may contain nicotine, although i'm not sure. I told him to stop doing it twice when he was in my house but he ignored me. Eventually he stopped though. Sometimes he goes outside and smokes in my neighborhood, which doesn't really bother me.

I'm afraid he may do it again, and I have a 16 year old brother who also shares the room with me. The problem is that we do many projects together and hand out sometimes, and I don't want to stop having him over. I also hate getting mad at people. Any suggestions? Thoughts?

He's 18 BTW.

That sounds like an e-cigarette, in which case the "smoke" (really water vapor) isn't harming you...it's just smelly. Tell him to smoke outside. Get him a chair, a table, and an ashtray if he needs it.

The-Apostle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#30 The-Apostle
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts

@cfisher2833 said:

@crazyguy111 said:

He's 18 BTW.

That sounds like an e-cigarette, in which case the "smoke" (really water vapor) isn't harming you...it's just smelly. Tell him to smoke outside. Get him a chair, a table, and an ashtray if he needs it.

I've read that they still have nicotine in them. >_>

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#31 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

@ultimate-k said:

If he is a guest and doing it,I would not even let him in the house if he's being a disrespectful prick.

This. My house, my rules. If a person doesn't follow them, they don't get in.

HuggyBear1020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#32  Edited By HuggyBear1020
Member since 2013 • 467 Posts

If a "friend" of mine couldn't comply with a simple request of respect and politeness, he would no longer be my friend. All you have to tell him is that if he smokes in your house again he won't be allowed in your house any more.

Avatar image for always_explicit
always_explicit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 always_explicit
Member since 2007 • 3379 Posts

@GazaAli said:
@elkoldo said:

Not to mention that he is probably more than aware of the associated dangers of smoking and has made a concious decision to ignore them, which is his right. I totally respect people decision not to smoke but I feel an equal amount of respect should be shown to people who do smoke....smokers do not need to be educated, they will quit when they are good and ready.

The disapproving glances and promises of death do not spur me to quit, if anything they reduce my desire to be on the earth with people that cant mind their own bizz.

That being said...its your house and its your rules. Just dont let him do it. You dont have to get mad, just be firm.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 GazaAli

@always_explicit said:

@GazaAli said:
@elkoldo said:

Not to mention that he is probably more than aware of the associated dangers of smoking and has made a concious decision to ignore them, which is his right. I totally respect people decision not to smoke but I feel an equal amount of respect should be shown to people who do smoke....smokers do not need to be educated, they will quit when they are good and ready.

The disapproving glances and promises of death do not spur me to quit, if anything they reduce my desire to be on the earth with people that cant mind their own bizz.

That being said...its your house and its your rules. Just dont let him do it. You dont have to get mad, just be firm.

I definitely feel you. Antagonizing Smokers can be really stupid and annoying. Why don't you stfu and let us do whatever the hell we want? is it that hard? Now the hilarious part is when people try to be alarmists and keep talking about how bad tobacco is while in the same time they're probably guilty of other destructive habits that can be of even more severity.

always_explicit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 always_explicit

@GazaAli said:

@always_explicit said:

@GazaAli said:
@elkoldo said:

I definitely feel you. Antagonizing Smokers can be really stupid and annoying. Why don't you stfu and let us do whatever the hell we want? is it that hard? Now the hilarious part is when people try to be alarmists and keep talking about how bad tobacco is while in the same time they're probably guilty of other destructive habits that can be of even more severity.

Haha so true. In England not so long ago the NHS created some hard hitting anti smoking advertisements aired in the evening very frequently. They also have the images and slogans on every pack of tumours, corpses and various slogans of impending death. Yet despite this people i barely know feel compared to tell me smoking is bad so they can feel a sense of self satisfaction. They dont do it because they care about you they do it because it makes them feel socially aware and educated. Pathetic really.

Iv already been pushed outside, charged a stupid amount of tax...and im gonna die of lung cancer....at least let me enjoy it without the ear ache! :LOL

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 GazaAli

@always_explicit said:

Haha so true. In England not so long ago the NHS created some hard hitting anti smoking advertisements aired in the evening very frequently. They also have the images and slogans on every pack of tumours, corpses and various slogans of impending death. Yet despite this people i barely know feel compared to tell me smoking is bad so they can feel a sense of self satisfaction. They dont do it because they care about you they do it because it makes them feel socially aware and educated. Pathetic really.

Iv already been pushed outside, charged a stupid amount of tax...and im gonna die of lung cancer....at least let me enjoy it without the ear ache! :LOL

Argh those moronic ads and campaigns. Have no idea why they're only directed towards tobacco. There is a shit load of other things that are detrimental to people's health and no one seems to give a ****.

People generally speaking like to take a dump on everybody and smokers seem to be a rather alluring target.

always_explicit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 always_explicit

@GazaAli said:

@always_explicit said:

Argh those moronic ads and campaigns. Have no idea why they're only directed towards tobacco. There is a shit load of other things that are detrimental to people's health and no one seems to give a ****.

People generally speaking like to take a dump on everybody and smokers seem to be a rather alluring target.

I understand from a governmental point of view an absolutely insane amount of cash is spent on treating smoking related illnesses so it does make sense considering its all largely preventable. Even so....I pay my taxes, im a law abiding citizen and having a cigarette just eases the dull numb feeling I suffer when im forced to tolerate other human beings that think they are better than me haha. This shit used to be cool godamnit. Where's the 1950's at when I need it.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 GazaAli

@always_explicit said:

@GazaAli said:

@always_explicit said:

I understand from a governmental point of view an absolutely insane amount of cash is spent on treating smoking related illnesses so it does make sense considering its all largely preventable. Even so....I pay my taxes, im a law abiding citizen and having a cigarette just eases the dull numb feeling I suffer when im forced to tolerate other human beings that think they are better than me haha. This shit used to be cool godamnit. Where's the 1950's at when I need it.

Best thing I read today definitely rofl.

But about the taxes part, I'm sure obesity and alcohol consumption related diseases have their share of draining tax money but yet people seem pretty cool about it. The fact that fast food chains and bars are allowed to conduct business freely makes any point made in regard to smoking invalid and moot.

Anyway I'm out to light one. What's your brand of choice? Mine is L&M red label :3

always_explicit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By always_explicit

@GazaAli said:

@always_explicit said:

@GazaAli said:

@always_explicit said:

Best thing I read today definitely rofl.

But about the taxes part, I'm sure obesity and alcohol consumption related diseases have their share of draining tax money but yet people seem pretty cool about it. The fact that fast food chains and bars are allowed to conduct business freely makes any point made in regard to smoking invalid and moot.

Anyway I'm out to light one. What's your brand of choice? Mine is L&M red label :3

Im in the UK so have not heard of your brand. I like Mayfair!

cfisher2833

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 cfisher2833
Member since 2011 • 2150 Posts

@The-Apostle said:

@cfisher2833 said:

@crazyguy111 said:

He's 18 BTW.

I've read that they still have nicotine in them. >_>

The nicotine is absorbed into the smokers bloodstream immediately upon inhalation. None of the smoke he breathes out has nicotine, and e-cigs don't give off second hand smoke.

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 themajormayor
Member since 2011 • 25729 Posts

Why is he smoking "fake" cigarettes?

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

Grow a pair of balls and tell him to stop.

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

@airshocker said:

Grow a pair of balls and tell him to stop.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#44 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

Break his jaw.

That will teach him .

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

@crazyguy111: Uh...it's your house, not his. If he's not gonna follow the proper rules for use of YOUR SPACE, then tell him to stay the f*** out.

"Oh, but I don't want to stop hanging out with him or cause tension in the friendship." F*** that. HE is causing tension in the friendship, HE is the one creating a distance between the two of you. It's 100% reasonable that you don't want that $hit in your house. And if he has so little concern for you that he $hits all over such a reasonable request, then you have to ask if it's really worth having him as a friend. I smoke like a fiend, but when people say "don't smoke in my car or my house", I have enough common courtesy to not smoke in their f***ing cars or houses. In other words, I love my cigarettes but I don't think that my smoking is more important than respecting the personal space of the people who I call my friends. If this dude is still smoking in your house even after you've asked him to stop, then you need to tell him to eat a bag of d*cks. Seriously, f*** that guy.

Sweetbackhair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#46  Edited By Sweetbackhair
Member since 2007 • 2959 Posts

Take him outside and beat him up.

THE_DRUGGIE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 140

#47 THE_DRUGGIE
Member since 2006 • 25107 Posts

I remember when someone did that in my place.

Took the cigarette out of his mouth and put it out on his arm, but then he got really excited so it was awkward.