How Switzerland Developed a Gun Culture That Works

This topic is locked from further discussion.

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 gamerguru100
Member since 2009 • 12718 Posts

Link

Do you agree with the article?

The one statement that stuck out to me was, "Social conditions are fundamental in deterring crime,” says Peter Squires, professor of criminology and public policy at the University of Brighton in Great Britain, who has studied gun violence in different countries and concluded that a “culture of support” rather than focus on individualism, can deter mass killings."

Is staunch individualism the reason gun crime is so high in the US? Or is it the gun culture here? If so, explain why. I'm interested in what you guys have to say about this. Let's hope it doesn't turn into a poo flinging contest, but then again, this is GameSpot Off Topic, so it probably will. :P

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

yeah, that "support" nanny state stuff won't go over with gun nuts here in the US

plus we're too socially opposed as a society to the point one side has to be the antithesis of the other

when one side says "hey, be careful with your guns", the other side is all like "don't tell me what to do,, I'm gonna keep a loaded gun out for my kids to find just to spite you!"

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 gamerguru100

@lamprey263 said:

yeah, that "support" nanny state stuff won't go over with gun nuts here in the US

plus we're too socially opposed as a society to the point one side has to be the antithesis of the other

when one side says "hey, be careful with your guns", the other side is all like "don't tell me what to do,, I'm gonna keep a loaded gun out for my kids to find just to spite you!"

Yeah, Americans are divided on too many things. I'm surprised there hasn't been a second Civil War yet. :P JK, but it's crazy how Americans are sometimes evenly slit among certain issues. Something like 45% of Americans supporting something, 45% opposing it, and the other 10% just not giving a crap.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

That article is from December 20th, 2012. A time when the liberal media was drumming up support in favor of anti-gun legislation after the Newtown shooting. Then the bill crashed and burned. And that is that.

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 gamerguru100

@Master_Live said:

That article is from December 20th, 2012. A time when the liberal media was drumming up support in favor of anti-gun legislation after the Newtown shooting. Then the bill crashed and burned. And that is that.

I noticed the date too, but at least you didn't say, "HUUURRR, it's from over a year ago so it's not legit anymore DUUURRR"

one_plum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By one_plum
Member since 2009 • 6822 Posts

I also think that it could be the product of individualism and lack of social unity. Some people or groups feel ostracized or isolated because of society's individualistic mindset and so they don't give a shit about anyone anymore.

I would wager that cities/states with a more individualistic culture and high income inequality are the ones with the higher homicide rates.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#7  Edited By foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

The US has developed an attitude of violence as a means of solving problems. Guns aren't the reason that people are being killed, it's because they want to make a big show and get attention. They could do it with a bomb, a knife or baseball bat if guns up and disappeared.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
Member since 2005 • 7914 Posts

Switzerland is popular for the swiss army knife, they are talented with such objects

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#9  Edited By GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

@lamprey263 said:

The bolded is so true.

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 themajormayor
Member since 2011 • 25729 Posts

Well Switzerland is obviously a much better country so you can't really make the comparison.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

@Master_Live said:

Dat red herring

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

I wouldn't call America's gun crime rate high. I would call it average at best. Sure you can point out ten counties that have way lower gun crime than America, but guess what? I can just as easily point out ten countries that have a way high gun crime rate than America.

JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

I can just as easily point out ten countries that have a way high gun crime rate than America.

How many modernized first-world countries?

I mean, I'm sure we have a lower gun crime rate than Honduras but who really cares

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By AmazonTreeBoa

@JML897 said:

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

I can just as easily point out ten countries that have a way high gun crime rate than America.

That's completely irrelevant. Fact is there are way worse places than America. You trying to use excuses won't change that fact.

JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By JML897
@AmazonTreeBoa said:

@JML897 said:

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

That's completely irrelevant. Fact is there are way worse places than America.

Yeah we're safer than countries like Somalia. I'm so proud.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 AmazonTreeBoa

@JML897 said:
@AmazonTreeBoa said:

@JML897 said:

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

As you should be.

JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 JML897

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

@JML897 said:
@AmazonTreeBoa said:

As you should be.

You don't think it's sad that we're comparing the US to places like that? Nobody is saying America is the absolute worst country in the whole world to live in (except for maybe themajormayor but he's an asshat).

We should be comparing ourselves to places like Canada, western European countries, Australia, Japan/Korea/China, etc. Not third-world shitholes. When you compare the US to other first-world countries then our gun crime rate doesn't look good at all.

thebest31406

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 thebest31406
Member since 2004 • 3775 Posts

Social and economic condition obviously factor into this. It's also important to note the rationale behind gun ownership. In Switzerland, people are conditioned to believe that the firearm is used to protect their nation from invading armies. The gun is never to be used against each other. This stands in stark contrast to the US's rationale, where Americans are conditioned to believe that the gun is used to protect themselves from each other.

Mathias carefully puts away his pistol and shakes his head firmly when I ask him if he feels safer having a gun at home, explaining that even if he had ammunition, he would not be allowed to use it against an intruder.

"The gun is not given to me to protect me or my family," he says. "I have been given this gun by my country to serve my country - and for me it is an honour to take care of it. I think it is a good thing for the state to give this responsibility to people."

In America then, gun ownership is about self-defence whereas in Switzerland it is seen more in terms of national security. To many traditionalists, a gun in the home has become a metaphor for an independent, well-fortified Switzerland which has helped to keep the country out of two world wars.

Switzerland guns: Living with firearms the Swiss way: http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-21379912

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 AmazonTreeBoa

@JML897 said:

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

@JML897 said:
@AmazonTreeBoa said:

As you should be.

You don't think it's sad that we're comparing the US to places like that? Nobody is saying America is the absolute worst country in the whole world to live in (except for maybe themajormayor but he's an asshat).

We should be comparing ourselves to places like Canada, western European countries, Australia, Japan/Korea/China, etc. Not third-world shitholes. When you compare the US to other first-world countries then our gun crime rate doesn't look good at all.

We aren't comparing America to Somalia, you are. While Somalia is an example of a worse country, it isn't the only example and it is your example, not mine.