How much writing do you do, OT?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by Kevlar101 (5993 posts) -

How much writing do you do? What kind? Is it a passion, or a hobby?

I do a small bit of writing. Just a couple short fan-fictions, based on the Elder Scrolls lore. I find TES to be a goldmine of potential stories. I hope to very soon turn writing into my main hobby, and maybe one day get good at it and actually get stuff published.

What about you guys?

#2 Posted by GazaAli (22492 posts) -

I would like to one day be on the level of English proficiency and intellectual maturity to be able to do some serious writing pertaining to political science and philosophy. Hopefully it will happen at some point in the future.

#3 Edited by ShepardCommandr (2271 posts) -

None.

I can't write,not even in my native language.

#4 Edited by Master_Live (13931 posts) -

I don't.

#5 Edited by The-Apostle (12141 posts) -

I do a little bit. If I could find a way to make money at it I'd do it a lot more.

#6 Posted by alim298 (1108 posts) -

@GazaAli said:

I would like to one day be on the level of English proficiency and intellectual maturity to be able to do some serious writing pertaining to political science and philosophy. Hopefully it will happen at some point in the future.

As if you're not already on that level. Seriously, is English your major?

#8 Edited by Makhaidos (1611 posts) -

Most of my writing is for work: case files, excel spreadsheets, data reports. As far as fiction goes, I have a 200-page fanfic with another one in the works.

@GazaAli said:

You already write English better than a lot of English-speakers.

#9 Posted by Aljosa23 (24541 posts) -

A decent amount, mostly reviews and amateur literary critiques.

#10 Edited by Praisedasun (444 posts) -

Almost none at all.I just write some small reviews of sports events from time to time,but nothing more than that.Also,my skills with the english language are somewhat limited,so I find it hard to participate in "in-depth" discussions.

I use my mother tongue a lot better though.

#11 Posted by GazaAli (22492 posts) -

@Makhaidos: @alim298: Well yea I feel confident with my English, but it still feels that I need to make effort while using it, something that I perceive as a deficiency.

#12 Posted by t1striker (1549 posts) -

Mostly just for College papers, but I have wrote a couple short stories, and some songs. I used to never really ever write(while I was working full-time blue-collar jobs), but I've found I like it quite a bit.

#13 Edited by Wilfred_Owen (20817 posts) -

What I just write now will have moved you. Your boredom is no more. That's how deep I am.

#14 Edited by sukraj (21797 posts) -

None

#15 Posted by jasean79 (2338 posts) -

I write checks. That's the extent of it.

#16 Edited by comp_atkins (31185 posts) -

none

#17 Posted by konvikt_17 (22129 posts) -

yesterday was the first time in a long ass time that i had written anything.

i wrote "Full" on two jugs of antifreeze, meaning full strength. then "50/50" on another jug, meaning half water half antifreeze

#18 Posted by Kevlar101 (5993 posts) -

i wrote "Full" on two jugs of antifreeze, meaning full strength. then "50/50" on another jug, meaning half water half antifreeze

On a partially random note .... I have heard that anti-freeze tastes sweet.

That is all.

*walks away*

#19 Edited by konvikt_17 (22129 posts) -

@konvikt_17 said:

On a partially random note .... I have heard that anti-freeze tastes sweet.

That is all.

*walks away*

it used to. but i think they changed it so it tastes horrible, since people were using it to kill people. putting it in their drink and such.

#20 Edited by ssvegeta555 (2260 posts) -

I write a lot; it's a passion for me. I write fiction in multiple genres. I'm currently writing a mystery novel. Last year I won a writing contest and my short story is going to be published in an anthology set in the crazy world of Low Life by Andy Hopp. Other than that, I haven't had much success in getting my work published. My first novel has been denied countless times and the same holds true for the numerous short stories I've written. But that hasn't stopped me in the least. :)

#21 Posted by Kevlar101 (5993 posts) -

I write a lot; it's a passion for me. I write fiction in multiple genres. I'm currently writing a mystery novel. Last year I won a writing contest and my short story is going to be published in an anthology set in the crazy world of Low Life by Andy Hopp. Other than that, I haven't had much success in getting my work published. My first novel has been denied countless times and the same holds true for the numerous short stories I've written. But that hasn't stopped me in the least. :)

I hope to get at least as far as you have someday haha

Best of luck to you! :D

#22 Edited by Behardy24 (2628 posts) -

I write 2 posts a day for a news website. I hope to start self-improving and write short stories and fan-fiction.

#23 Posted by ssvegeta555 (2260 posts) -

@ssvegeta555 said:

I hope to get at least as far as you have someday haha

Best of luck to you! :D

Good luck on your writing too! :)

#24 Edited by DreamingMind (45 posts) -

I write quite a lot too and as an unexpected consequence, writing has become my full-time profession. I've published half a dozen non-fiction eBooks under my name and ghostwritten a few dozen more, alongside a few thousand articles that can be found strewn around the internet. Collectively, my works get millions of daily views (for real), though the vast majority of my readers will never know I'm behind the words they read.

My next goal is to eventually publish my fiction works through mainstream publishing routes and hold a real, physical copy of one of my books in my hands. Awww yeah!

To all of you who try to get published or struggle to write more I have to say this: Don't give up! You may not always get what you want, but writing can be rewarding in more senses than one.

#25 Edited by Lord_Daemon (24233 posts) -

I don't write anymore.

#26 Posted by Korvus (2817 posts) -

I write a lot but I do it as a hobby. Started with short stories since I'd get these small stories in my head and I would just "write them out" and then delete/trash them; then when I got engaged and we moved together my fiancé found some of the short stories and slapped me upside the head for being about to trash them (=P) and asked me to write more so I ended up writing a fantasy trilogy and caught the bug.

Now I write in several genres and I thoroughly enjoy the creative process even though I hate "the swampy middle" (that part halfway your book where if you didn't plan the story well enough you either get lost in too many story arcs or you run out of juice before you start working towards the big ending) and I have the extra difficulty of writing in English (I'm Portuguese and my fiancé is Dutch, so I write in the "inbetween language") but since I'm not trying to get published, it makes little difference.

Best of luck to all the writers out there =D

#27 Posted by ExtremeBanana (152 posts) -

I type.

#28 Posted by Trail_Mix (2021 posts) -

Nope, I don't write.

#29 Posted by GamerForca (7073 posts) -

It's always been my greatest passion. I focused in Creative Writing when I got my MA in English. I've had a couple of short stories published, and I have a few others I should send out soon. Never quite had the success I thought I would with short fiction, that's for sure. I'd like to publish a novel, but I'm never able to finish the ones I start. The furthest I've gotten was about 50k words. Maybe one day I'll follow through with one. I've had the most success with poetry, which is still kind of a shock to me. I'd never written a single poem before I took a poetry class in my last semester as an undergrad. I did really well in the class and went on to win the university's poetry contest. I've won many other contests since then and have many poems published. It was actually my undergrad poetry professor who urged me to do a creative focus for my MA (after I told her I wouldn't do an MFA). In fact, I've been writing a poem since I woke up an hour ago. It's amazing how my least favorite part of literature became my most passionate.