How many Push-Ups can you do?

• 51 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Behardy24 (3058 posts) -

Be honest now. I have always been a weak guy and always got strange look for not being ability to do a Push-Up properly.

One time in PE class during High school I only did 3 push ups when the rest of the guys in the class did at least 25+.

Let's just say that real hit my self-confidence back then.

So be honest,how many push-ups can you do?

#2 Posted by Nuck81 (5834 posts) -

When I was in high school I could do over 50 without having to stop. I could also do 10 one right handed pushups and 3 left handed.

About 15 years and 30 lbs later I'd say zilch on the one handers and maybe 20 regular pushups.

#3 Edited by thegerg (14838 posts) -

It depends. How much time are we talking here?

In 2 minutes I can usually do 75-90.

#4 Edited by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -

I've never been good at push ups.

I can do about 20 one handed, but only about 30-34 regular push ups in a controlled slow motion (taking before failure. Ne resting).

Somewhat interesting as my bench is 325 on a good not dieting.

#5 Posted by InEMplease (6333 posts) -

It's over 9,000.

#6 Posted by Shottayouth13- (6753 posts) -

About 25-30 reps per set.

#7 Posted by certifieddata (46053 posts) -

Last time I went to failure it was 63, I used to absolutely suck at push ups, felt like dying after five. It's nice to look back and see these improvements.

#8 Edited by airshocker (29028 posts) -

Last PT test I did 67 in a minute a thirty seconds.

#9 Edited by awesome3496 (2158 posts) -

About two.

#10 Posted by HuggyBear1020 (456 posts) -

Pushups don't measure strength, they only measure muscle endurance. A better question might be about someone's max on the bench.

#11 Posted by BluRayHiDef (10838 posts) -

If I push myself, I can do fifty straight (I'm guessing in about one minute and forty seconds; I don't time myself). I usually do 200 to 300 push-ups in sets of fifty.

#12 Posted by kitty (114548 posts) -

I'm surprised but I can do about 35.

#13 Edited by Storm_Marine (10767 posts) -

Pushups don't measure strength, they only measure muscle endurance. A better question might be about someone's max on the bench.

Lets just talk deadlifts then.

#14 Posted by 4myAmuzumament (1748 posts) -

i can definitely do 7 push-ups

#15 Edited by Danyawesomsauce (105 posts) -

Most I've ever done is 60.

#16 Posted by Diablo-B (4024 posts) -

The most I've ever done in one set was 115.

I usually do 2-3 sets of 50. Not sure how many sets I can do (or if that even counts).

I have to do a lot of pushups because I have a broad chest like a football player. If I don't do pushups regularly I start to develop man boobs.

#17 Edited by GamerForca (7078 posts) -

I can probably do around 70. I've done 120+ before though.

#18 Edited by ad1x2 (5502 posts) -

When I was 20 I did 100 during an Army physical fitness test and when I was 28 I did 83 after the guy in front of me bragged that he did 82. Other than that I average around 50-60 a minute but getting older is slowing me down.

#19 Edited by MakeMeaSammitch (3778 posts) -

about 100, I'm very awesome and serious :)

#20 Edited by strategyfn (334 posts) -

In my personal prime of age 32, I did 125 or 130 once all in one sitting. Taking a short break in up push-up position once.

I was able to do 100 push-ups in 1 minute and 4 seconds once. All this was done on a carpeted surface since it's easier on the hands.

I have gotten older in the meantime and can't do that anymore. I only do push-ups once a year or less now. I could probably do 35-40 now.

If you want to know a trick to do a lot of push-ups, here it is. Go find some place you can do chin-ups at and do those 3 times a week. It is okay if you only start off being able to do 6 chin-ups, or even 2 and just keep working your way up. My first try I was able to 6 chin-ups, about 5 months later I could do 6 sets of 18 chin-ups in around an hour.

If I didn't supplement my push-ups with chin-ups I would've never been able to get 100 done in 1 minute 4 seconds. It also helps if you jog a lot or go for long walks, if you are chubby to get you in some general good health. I also use to cheat with Coffee before exercise.

Personally I am glad I did a little exercise regiment before I got too old, it lets me think back positively and lets me know I set a good bar. I figured I would be in my push-up prime in my 20s, but I surprised myself at 32 being able to do more than before.

Basically OP if you still care, I think doing chin-ups would work for you. Even if you can do just one, do that like 3 times a week, increase it to 2 or 3 each time you try and keep increasing it.

#21 Edited by Barbariser (6724 posts) -

I can hit 75 in one round with moderate pain or 100 with high pain, but if I do it with weights or with both hands put together I can't go beyond 50-60.

#22 Posted by LoG-Sacrament (20397 posts) -

body weight exercises are a pretty big part of my workout. i don't only do pushups, but i do about 40 in a workout with all the other stuff.

#23 Edited by KiIIyou (27139 posts) -

About 40 for the first set, 35 if theyre perfect form hehe

#24 Edited by lostrib (34331 posts) -

Threve and a half

#25 Posted by Iszdope (9648 posts) -

69 dude!

#26 Posted by Netret0120 (2028 posts) -

40-50 at one time. Average around 30. My chest is quite big. I do 200 pushups a day everyday

#27 Posted by SoNin360 (5340 posts) -

I think about 80 is the most I've done at once.

#28 Posted by Behardy24 (3058 posts) -
#29 Posted by sukraj (22108 posts) -

#30 Edited by Trail_Mix (2021 posts) -

Just tried. 4's the limit for me. Any more and I'm gonna get a nosebleed.

#31 Edited by girlshavefuntoo (120 posts) -

I did 80 once. Can usually do about 40-60.

#32 Posted by johnd13 (7985 posts) -

8-10...

#33 Edited by indzman (17230 posts) -

push ups - 20 X 5 thrice a week ( during chest / leg exercise)

back push ups - 20 X 5 rest thrice a week alternatively ( during arms exercise 'bicep/tricep)

Not doing chilling nor dips at the moment as i'm more concentrating on volume over cuts , so no shoulder or lats exercise for me for time being :)

#34 Posted by Lord_Omikron666 (4748 posts) -

Not really sure how many I can do in one set without a time limit. The most I've done within 1 minute was 74.

#35 Posted by ExtremeBanana (152 posts) -

Be honest now. I have always been a weak guy and always got strange look for not being ability to do a Push-Up properly.

One time in PE class during High school I only did 3 push ups when the rest of the guys in the class did at least 25+.

Let's just say that real hit my self-confidence back then.

So be honest,how many push-ups can you do?

About 20.

#36 Edited by comp_atkins (31267 posts) -

that's not what was asked.. but thanks anyway...

#37 Posted by bowchicka07 (1073 posts) -

Like 30 straight then I crawl into bed and pass out due to near asphyxiation from being out of shape and eating junk.

#38 Edited by Makhaidos (1613 posts) -

None. My candy ass can't even get my chin off the ground.

#39 Posted by Nengo_Flow (9497 posts) -

Im not in any shape wats so ever and I havent worked out in almost a year.

But I could do 20 in a row right now (cuz I just did to see if I could)...

In 11th grade (5years ago), we had to do push up for PE class (and to make it worst the teacher had us partner up and we had to go agaisnt each other while the rest of the class and the teacher watched us and counted) and I swear to you that I have no idea but I did 35 in a row cuz I had a bunch of people cheering me. But I was in ok shape back then cuz I played alot of basketball and was skinny (like 120lb).

After highly school I still was skinny but not I was inactive... in 2011-2012 I would work out off and on, disappointed that I wasnt getting much gains, I kinda gave up. In 2013 I tried to get back to working out, but then I got depressed over a girl...................................................................................................................................................................................................

#40 Posted by djvj_y2k (742 posts) -

Two. So don't mess with me or i will ef you up.

#41 Posted by Makhaidos (1613 posts) -

In 11th grade (5years ago), we had to do push up for PE class (and to make it worst the teacher had us partner up and we had to go agaisnt each other while the rest of the class and the teacher watched us and counted) and I swear to you that I have no idea but I did 35 in a row cuz I had a bunch of people cheering me.

I would assume it has something to do with teams playing better at home than at away.

#42 Edited by Ackad (3155 posts) -

81 push-ups in my high school (Physical Education Testing) with no rest. I do 3 negative sets of 21x18x16 everyday now.

#43 Posted by Nengo_Flow (9497 posts) -

@Nengo_Flow said:

In 11th grade (5years ago), we had to do push up for PE class (and to make it worst the teacher had us partner up and we had to go agaisnt each other while the rest of the class and the teacher watched us and counted) and I swear to you that I have no idea but I did 35 in a row cuz I had a bunch of people cheering me.

I would assume it has something to do with teams playing better at home than at away.

yeah... I guess, the kept yelling "One more one more!" Everytime I was about to stop.

They should make a move about my underdog story.

#44 Posted by Gaming-Planet (13994 posts) -

About 25.

#45 Edited by jcopp72 (5335 posts) -

I do 30 pushups every morning before work without pushing myself, If pushing I could probably at least double that.

#46 Posted by MFDOOM1983 (8453 posts) -

I used to do 400 pushups a day when I was in highschool, but now I'm down to 300( 12 sets of 25) pushups 4-5 days a week. I cranked out 61 pushups and 59 situps in 60 secs during presidential assessment. At the time I was 235Ibs, 5'9" and now I'm 163Ibs.

#47 Posted by ristactionjakso (5707 posts) -

about 20 to 25.

I need to start working out again.

#48 Posted by redstorm72 (4524 posts) -

I used to be able to do around 60. Now though, I usually do 35 in a set, 40-45 if I push it.

#49 Edited by -Renegade (8340 posts) -

i just did 36 straight.

#50 Edited by Wilfred_Owen (20834 posts) -

When your sun sets you will know I've done at least one.