How low are my standards?

#1 Edited by -ParaNormaN- (954 posts) -

After a year of being unemployed and being turned down by every employer, I no longer get frustrated at getting turned down. I now get frustrated at how long it takes for them to send me the rejection through email.

#2 Edited by AutoPilotOn (8571 posts) -

Ouch a whole year and nothing that's not good. You almost need to take anything even min wage just to stay active. A lot of places won't hire someone with large gaps in employment.

#3 Posted by 4myAmuzumament (1791 posts) -

find a cash job on craigslist

#4 Posted by -ParaNormaN- (954 posts) -

@AutoPilotOn said:

Ouch a whole year and nothing that's not good. You almost need to take anything even min wage just to stay active. A lot of places won't hire someone with large gaps in employment.

Trust me man. I know.

#5 Posted by magicalclick (23468 posts) -

That's just mean you grow some tougher skins. Now, keep trying. Also, get whenever job you can get for now. It is like credit card, you need a shitty one first to get a better one later.

#6 Edited by BluRayHiDef (10839 posts) -

Time to start turning tricks.

#7 Posted by outworld222 (2486 posts) -

-ParaNormaN- and low standards don't go together in the same sentence. It's an oxymoron if the term can be applied.

#8 Edited by mike4realz (2571 posts) -

volunteer

#9 Edited by Master_Live (15391 posts) -

@-paranorman- said:

I now get frustrated at how long it takes for them to send me the rejection through email.

Sorry mate, but I did laughed.

#10 Edited by hippiesanta (9976 posts) -

@Master_Live said:

@-paranorman- said:

I now get frustrated at how long it takes for them to send me the rejection through email.

Sorry mate, but I did laughed.

make that double ....... hihi .... but ... Im truly sorry ..

have u ever been o a walk in interview... ? Paranorman??

there's more chance to be emplyed that way because they can see you personally ....... behaviour and grooming is important during an interview... do not have high hope on email or posting applications...

#11 Posted by -ParaNormaN- (954 posts) -

@Master_Live: It's cool. I laugh at myself each time I shave and put on slacks with a button shirt thinking it's going to make a great impression on the employer. Frankly, I may just give up the shaving act and wear my goatee to interviews.

@hippiesanta: I've been to a lot of interviews. I usually have 2 interviews on the same day.

#12 Edited by comp_atkins (31812 posts) -

what kind of work are you looking for?

just curious

#13 Edited by Assassin_87 (2314 posts) -

Sorry to hear about your situation. I've been fortunate enough to have no long gaps in employment in my adult life thus far.

What industry are you in/attempting to get into?

#14 Edited by wis3boi (31812 posts) -

My father was out of work for 3 years a while back. 35 years in a field and a masters degree still doesnt work magic.

#15 Edited by -ParaNormaN- (954 posts) -

@comp_atkins said:

what kind of work are you looking for?

just curious

Looking for anything. I've mostly been applying for retail stores though.

@Assassin_87 said:

Sorry to hear about your situation. I've been fortunate enough to have no long gaps in employment in my adult life thus far.

What industry are you in/attempting to get into?

I worked for the Home Depot so I'm trying to get into that kind of a work environment again. I've tried Lowe's and had an interview last night, I'm not sure if it went well or not. The air seemed dead right from the start. The offices I was interviewed at were humid and lacked oxygen. The employer and myself couldn't stop yawning but, I tried to hide my yawns the best I could. Right now I don't have a main industry I'm trying to get into though, all I really want to do is work. Just trying to build more work experience before I think about a steady career.

@wis3boi said:

My father was out of work for 3 years a while back. 35 years in a field and a masters degree still doesnt work magic.

That sucks. It's kind of discouraging knowing that we live at a time where college degrees are equivalent to a high school degree when it comes to employment.

#16 Posted by commander (8416 posts) -

@-paranorman- said:

After a year of being unemployed and being turned down by every employer, I no longer get frustrated at getting turned down. I now get frustrated at how long it takes for them to send me the rejection through email.

I can teach you how to find a job

#17 Edited by RadecSupreme (4720 posts) -

I've gone through the same. The only place that gives me work is a warehouse because my uncle used to work there so they call me up when they need me and if I wasn't in Uni right now then I would be able to work there right now full-time. Unfortunately, other corporate business which I've applied to ,do me no help and refuse to hire me for reasons unknown. I've already proved to be a dedicated and efficient worker at the warehouse so every time I don't get hired, I feel pity not just for myself, but also for the employers, who are so ignorant of my work ethic that they might have decided to hire a lazy worker instead of me.

#18 Edited by torenojohn7 (411 posts) -

@-paranorman- said:

You know you can learn something from that right? life is like playing a game if you try something and that doesn't work you try something else.. and so on and so forth you just keep trying till you get it right.

For Every time you fail you eliminate one way that won't work for you;therefore being that much closer to the one way that will.

So try something else that works!

#19 Edited by LittleMac19 (1638 posts) -

@-paranorman- said:

Believe it or I'm actually in a similar situation as you. In the past year the only job I've had was a seasonal job which lasted a month. During that year I've been turned down multiple times which you know, sucks. I'm also unable to go back to college because my funds are too low and barely receive any financial aid. I've passed the phase where I would get angry at rejection and now I simply don't dwell or stress out like I used to. It's hard but you have to keep trying. I'm hoping I can find something part time this summer so I can take a summer class or two.

#20 Posted by BluRayHiDef (10839 posts) -

@LittleMac19 said:

@-paranorman- said:

Believe it or I'm actually in a similar situation as you. In the past year the only job I've had was a seasonal job which lasted a month. During that year I've been turned down multiple times which you know, sucks. I'm also unable to go back to college because my funds are too low and barely receive any financial aid. I've passed the phase where I would get angry at rejection and now I simply don't dwell or stress out like I used to. It's hard but you have to keep trying. I'm hoping I can find something part time this summer so I can take a summer class or two.

You should shine shoes. Find some way to make your own money. Working for other people is lame.

#21 Edited by LittleMac19 (1638 posts) -

@BluRayHiDef said:

@LittleMac19 said:

@-paranorman- said:

You should shine shoes. Find some way to make your own money. Working for other people is lame.

Not too sure about shining shoes but I do want to run my own business in the near future. I don't like working for other people either but it's the way of the world and I've always looked at it as nothing but a stepping stone that will help me get to where I want to be.

#22 Posted by hippiesanta (9976 posts) -

@-paranorman-:

maybe many more candidate are the same level of your qualification .... but you need to spice things up ...... like charm, your dress-up, confidence ...... bulge (lol but true .... company prefer healthy workers) .... enigmatic smile ... no zits and no sweaty and oily face......

Trust me ... appearence sells .... works on guys too .... not only chicks

#23 Posted by always_explicit (3041 posts) -

Yeah,to me it seems like your stuck with the expectation of failure which more often than not will lead to a negative atmosphere and therefore failure. As another poster said you need to be learning from these mistakes. Many companies will offer you interview feedback if you are proactive about seeking it. Plus there's always always always labouring.

#24 Posted by -ParaNormaN- (954 posts) -

@always_explicit: Won't argue with you. It does eventually happen when you do expect success and get failure in return for a long time though. It eventually starts to feel routine and when something becomes routine, it is just expected from then on.

@hippiesanta: It's hard to look good when you're in some kind of depressed state. I'm not suicide kind of depressed, more like wtf kind of depressed. It's enough to make me buy microwave only foods instead of cooking foods. Plus, they're cheaper.

Emo post... I know.

#25 Edited by Ariabed (1408 posts) -

@-paranorman-: don't try renting a place from this guy, always_explicit, he only has contempt for the long term unemployed.

Also good luck with finding a job your time will come :)

#26 Edited by Wilfred_Owen (20911 posts) -

Yeah....that self pity train doesn't help you at all.

#27 Edited by always_explicit (3041 posts) -

@ariabed said:

@-paranorman-: don't try renting a place from this guy, always_explicit, he only has contempt for the long term unemployed.

Look I am offering this nice guy some advice dont make this thread about me, just because you took issue with something I said in another thread. I dont have an issue with unemployed individuals who are actively seeking work. I wish him every success finding a role. What i detest is people who are long term unemployed through lack of willingness to even bother looking for work, particularly when two people who are like that happen to live in a house my family own. Paranorman is not such a person. I also doubt it he would decline work like the couple of renters did in my situation.

If you disagree, disagree but there is no need to mention me in other threads. People are different. Deal with it.

#28 Edited by BeardMaster (1686 posts) -

@always_explicit said:

@ariabed said:

Look I am offering this nice guy some advice dont make this thread about me, just because you took issue with something I said in another thread. I dont have an issue with unemployed individuals who are actively seeking work. I wish him every success finding a role. What i detest is people who are long term unemployed through lack of willingness to even bother looking for work, particularly when two people who are like that happen to live in a house my family own. Paranorman is not such a person. I also doubt it he would decline work like the couple of renters did in my situation.

If you disagree, disagree but there is no need to mention me in other threads. People are different. Deal with it.

Ok so your family owns a bonus house and you rent it out? already, silver spoon. But how exactly do you know these people are declining jobs left and right? that part of the lease agreement, to disclose all their personal job seeking endeavors to the landlord? You sound like a judgmental snob of privilege.

#29 Edited by -ParaNormaN- (954 posts) -

@always_explicit: How would you go about asking for feedback from an interview? I feel that, if I went to them in person after receiving the "no positions at this time" email that they may feel like I am coming on to them as hostile. Feels a little inappropriate.

@Wilfred_Owen: I know it's not. Trying to hang in there the best I can though. Just feeling the full effect of unemployment at the moment. It even messes with your self esteem.

#30 Edited by BeardMaster (1686 posts) -

@-paranorman- said:

@always_explicit: How would you go about asking for feedback from an interview? I feel that, if I went to them in person after receiving the "no positions at this time" email that they may feel like I am coming on to them as hostile. Feels a little inappropriate.

@Wilfred_Owen: I know it's not. Trying to hang in there the best I can though. Just feeling the full effect of unemployment at the moment. It even messes with your self esteem.

Dont let the losers get you down, its a tough ass economy, ESPECIALLY for young people. Feedback from interviews, ive never heard of that, they would likely just ignore you.

The problem with the whole bootstraps crowd is they want you to internalize your failures, because if its not your fault then they have to admit its a systemic failure. But they cant do that because if they admit their personal experiences arent representative of the population as a whole, then they have to consider the fact that they cant know and judge everything from their small sliver of life experience. This of course would make their world topsy turvery and force them to reevaluate their life views based on things like information and metrics. Which, who has time for that?

But here is the thing, dont internalize your failures. It is a systemic failure of the modern economy that causes the under-utilization of the work force. Unfortunately for you, that means no rainbows on the horizon. Just keep doing what you are doing, hoping for the best. And dont let the dolts telling you its your fault, get to you.

#31 Posted by -ParaNormaN- (954 posts) -

@BeardMaster: That post was pretty uplifting, thanks man. I'll just keep trying harder until I finally get my foot through the door.

#32 Edited by hippiesanta (9976 posts) -

@-paranorman- said:

@hippiesanta: It's hard to look good when you're in some kind of depressed state. I'm not suicide kind of depressed, more like wtf kind of depressed. It's enough to make me buy microwave only foods instead of cooking foods. Plus, they're cheaper.

Emo post... I know.

Keanu look sad.... but still look good.....

I know I'm some kind of a villain in gamespot ..lolz ... but

my intend is not making you loose hope ... at the moment .... try not to be fussy in choosing job ... who cares if it's a janitor, read-all-about-it-kid, commercial fisherman or garbage collector (this job will shape your body like spartan) ..... make it 3 months working with it as long u can pay your bill and buy some new cloth that make you look good...... and make an effort during your janitor days looking for something that you want.

#33 Edited by Ariabed (1408 posts) -

@-paranorman-: if you have a bit of get up and go about you maybe you could get a job as a labourer on a building site, it can be quite physical work at times but it's usually descent money and there's always jobs for labourers going. You might find your a natural at the old building game.

#34 Edited by BeardMaster (1686 posts) -

@hippiesanta said:

@-paranorman- said:

Emo post... I know.

Keanu look sad.... but still look good.....

I know I'm some kind of a villain in gamespot ..lolz ... but

my intend is not making you loose hope ... at the moment .... try not to be fussy in choosing job ... who cares if it's a janitor, read-all-about-it-kid, commercial fisherman or garbage collector (this job will shape your body like spartan) ..... make it 3 months working with it as long u can pay your bill and buy some new cloth that make you look good...... and make an effort during your janitor days looking for something that you want.

Curious, do you think there is a flaw in an employment system that judges prospective employees based on the size of their bulge? Or do you believe bulge size has importance in terms of employee quality? Either way you are probably one of those idiots that think they won the lottery because of number picking talents. Not because you won the lottery, just one of those people that refuses to acknowledge the role of luck in your life.

#35 Posted by playmynutz (6271 posts) -

No one needs to be hired anymore. The global elite have the world functioning just fine without everyone working

#36 Posted by always_explicit (3041 posts) -

@-paranorman- said:

Well it may be that in the UK something is different about the style of employment however usually I would reply to the email declining me a position simply asking if they could provide some feedback on how the interview went and how to improve, particularly if the email is from the person who interviewed you. Certainly some companies will ignore you but even if only one or two give you some feedback at least its something that allows you to adapt and change your style. It may feel weird and inappropriate but at the end of the day your looking for work and a helping hand from another human being can go a long way. Say something like "Thank you for your recent correspondence, I was disappointed to hear that I was unsuccessful in my application for the position of (insert position). If its not an inconvenience to yourself could you possibly provide me some feedback on my interview/application?

Kind regards etc etc

Something to that effect. People saying you will likely get ignored are not flat out wrong, but some businesses take great pride in being an equal opportunities employer and will endevour to assist you with a few lines of feedback. Just because a business doesnt advertise that they offer feedback (so they dont have to email thousands of failed applicants) does not mean they will no make that effort. I have sought feedback from interviews and its very enlightening, particularly when the same key words pop up more than once, it makes it very clear where the needs for improvement lies.

Dragging our way out of a recession is never going to be an easy time to find work, particularly for the young inexperienced but persevere and something will come along.

@BeardMaster said:

@always_explicit said:

@ariabed said:

Ok so your family owns a bonus house and you rent it out? already, silver spoon. But how exactly do you know these people are declining jobs left and right? that part of the lease agreement, to disclose all their personal job seeking endeavors to the landlord? You sound like a judgmental snob of privilege.

I have no idea how you think you have the right to make several assumptions about my lifestyle without knowing me in the slightest. Also....BONUS house, how old are you man? My girlfriend and her sister inherited it because her grandparents worked hard for it. Its got nothing to do with a silver spoon or being privileged. They worked for 60 years paid of the mortgage, died and passed it on. Its called property ownership and the above scenario is ridiculously common. It takes pressure off myself and my girlfriend with some additional income but ultimately we still have a mortgage ourselves and we still work 39 hours minimum per week to lead the lifestyle we choose to lead.Guess what...il probably be working 39 hours a week until I die too, so I can leave my children a nice house... and some prick on the internet can assume they are fed with a silver spoon.

To be honest mate, if you own a car you have a right to decide who drives it. Its the same with this house. Call it snobbery if you like. I dont give a shit. Its an investment for my future and the future of my family. I will do what I want with it. I made the mistake of allowing a rental agency to manage the property and they have made several mistakes that I am not happy with. I will manage the property myself once the current tenants lease expires.

#37 Edited by thegerg (15758 posts) -

How do you expect us to know what your standards are?

#38 Edited by hippiesanta (9976 posts) -

@BeardMaster:

your life are too tense and full of stress .... just dont let it infect other people

#39 Edited by -ParaNormaN- (954 posts) -

Looks like my year of unemployment is coming to an end. Lowe's called me this morning and offered me the position over there and had me do a drug test plus fill out some paperwork. Since I don't smoke or do drugs, things are looking really good right now.

#40 Posted by Ariabed (1408 posts) -

@-paranorman-: "Looks like my year of unemployment is coming to an end. Lowe's called me this morning and offered me the position over there and had me do a drug test plus fill out some paperwork. Since I don't smoke or do drugs, things are looking really good right now"

Yeah.. I pulled a few strings for you.... Don't mention it..... Good luck kiddo :)

#41 Edited by -ParaNormaN- (954 posts) -

@ariabed: Hahaha, thank you good sir!