How Long is a Piece of String?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Yusuke420 (2770 posts) -

Has anyone seen the documentary "How Long is a Piece of String?". My brain can barely comprehend what they are attempting to explain. The light experiment that is conducted is particlularly fasinating. Can someone with a more well rounded phyics backround do some explaining for me?

#2 Posted by Optical_Order (5100 posts) -

I've got string all size all color

PM me if you want I got good prices very low

#3 Posted by SuperNovaftw (2500 posts) -

I dont need to watch the vid I for one know that tring is double half of its length :cool:

#4 Posted by KiIIyou (27155 posts) -
that's private.
#5 Posted by Yusuke420 (2770 posts) -

I dont need to watch the vid I for one know that tring is double half of its length :cool:

SuperNovaftw

How did you come to this conclusion? What if I told you that the string is infinte in lenght and the only reason it seems to have lenght is because you observe it to have it?

#6 Posted by MannyDelgado (1187 posts) -
Your link goes back to this thread Or maybe you're just being meta, and are in fact 2deep4me
#7 Posted by SirWander (5176 posts) -

that's private.KiIIyou

ain't you a modest fellow

#8 Posted by SuperNovaftw (2500 posts) -

[QUOTE="SuperNovaftw"]

Yusuke420

How did you come to this conclusion? What if I told you that the string is infinte in lenght and the only reason it seems to have lenght is because you observe it to have it?

What if I were to tell you that aliens invented a half for infinite and so forth that half of infinite is double its length which gives you infinite which is the length of the string :cool:.
#9 Posted by Yusuke420 (2770 posts) -

Your link goes back to this thread Or maybe you're just being meta, and are in fact 2deep4meMannyDelgado
Nope just a simple mistake, link works now!

#10 Posted by Yusuke420 (2770 posts) -

[QUOTE="Yusuke420"]

[QUOTE="SuperNovaftw"]

SuperNovaftw

What if I were to tell you that aliens invented a half for infinite and so forth that half of infinite is double its length which gives you infinite which is the length of the string :cool:.

:|

#11 Posted by Yusuke420 (2770 posts) -

See this is what I was talking about, I make the topic and no one posts anything of relavence. Surely, I am not the only one who has seen this piece of infomation?

#12 Posted by MonsieurX (31703 posts) -
I watched the whole document,quite interesting :)
#13 Posted by MannyDelgado (1187 posts) -

See this is what I was talking about, I make the topic and no one posts anything of relavence. Surely, I am not the only one who has seen this piece of infomation?

Yusuke420
To be fair, the barrier to entry to this discussion is pretty high (i.e. finding and sitting through an hour-long episode of Horizon)
#14 Posted by ROFLCOPTER603 (2140 posts) -

[QUOTE="Yusuke420"]

[QUOTE="SuperNovaftw"]

SuperNovaftw

You can divide infinity by 2, but it you'll get a different answer depending on what you're doing. So infinity/2 * 2/infinity is not necessarily 1.

#15 Posted by Yusuke420 (2770 posts) -

[QUOTE="Yusuke420"]

MannyDelgado

To be fair, the barrier to entry to this discussion is pretty high (i.e. finding and sitting through an hour-long episode of Horizon)

That's true, but everyone on here whines about political and religion discussions. Yet, when something comes along that is about more then simply forming a positive or negative opinion, no one has anything to add. It just proves that this forum lacks substance and is nothing more then a glorfied mud wrestling contest. 

#16 Posted by chrisrooR (9027 posts) -
Interesting video. I'll have to watch it once I'm done doing a bit more studying (and combing through GS :P) I've always been interested in theoretical physics, but I feel as though without a background in mathematics most of it is completely over my head. I've tried reading Brian Greene's Fabric of the Cosmos and I was lost about 100 pages in.
#17 Posted by MannyDelgado (1187 posts) -

[QUOTE="MannyDelgado"][QUOTE="Yusuke420"]

Yusuke420

That's true, but everyone on here whines about political and religion discussions. Yet, when something comes along that is about more then simply forming a positive or negative opinion, no one has anything to add. It just proves that this forum lacks substance and is nothing more then a glorfied mud wrestling contest. 

Yeah pretty much. You're probably in the wrong place if you want a worthwhile discussion. I only come here to laugh at people, mostly.
#18 Posted by ROFLCOPTER603 (2140 posts) -

[QUOTE="MannyDelgado"][QUOTE="Yusuke420"]

Yusuke420

Well with that attitude that's all that it becomes. I agree that usually it's just back and forth crap but if you keep on bringing up valid points and refuse to stoop down to the mud slinging you can have worthwhile discussions.