how honest should i be on a first date... if it even happens

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for 360forlifeagain
360forlifeagain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 360forlifeagain
Member since 2009 • 178 Posts

so im planning to ask a girl out in a few days.... we really dont know each other but shes caught my eye big time and well i guess im gonna take a chance.

im 20 and this is sorta the first time ive ever asked a girl out that meaning ive never been on a date in my life.

now im saying if she says yes and thats a big if imo

anyway ive always pictured my ideal first date as a nice picnic in a park

now im a very honest person i mean very honest. and my friends(what friends i have) told me not to be too honest or youll scare her away

but i thought first dates are sposed to be getting to know the person and theres not much i can say to praise myself.

pretty much all i can say to about myself is : im a loner well i have a few friends, loser, no job(looking), sits at home on his ass playing video games most days who still lives with his parents and has never been kissed nor dated in 20 years.... but just assuming that wont go down well i dont know what to do.... and dont say go on a movie date..... im not gonna waste my first damn kiss in a dark theater with a chick i dont even know...as much as id love to kiss her :P

to add to that im asking random people on a game forum for advice :P

sorry for lack of caps and fullstops etc its 2:15 am and im nearly asleep

turbotoby95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 turbotoby95
Member since 2008 • 901 Posts
completely honest
BiancaDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#3 BiancaDK
Member since 2008 • 19092 Posts
completely honestturbotoby95
the diametrical opposite of this ^
cheeselover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 cheeselover
Member since 2006 • 2091 Posts
Make the first date about her. Don't focus on yourself too much. Be honest, but there is a difference between lying and not telling the whole truth. Make yourself sound appealing.
Colin1192

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Colin1192
Member since 2008 • 6221 Posts

Only your name. Base everything else on what she likes.

Jfisch93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#6 Jfisch93
Member since 2008 • 3557 Posts

Be honest, but don't put all your cards on the table. That might scare her away.

sieg6529

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 99

#7 sieg6529
Member since 2004 • 1585 Posts
the first date is about her. the 2nd date is also about her. the engagement, marriage, and divorce are also about her. you just shut up and nod.
weezyfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 weezyfb
Member since 2009 • 14703 Posts
dont tell her everything right away.
360forlifeagain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 360forlifeagain
[QUOTE="turbotoby95"]completely honestBiancaDK

so what should i tell her? im a great guy hell im king and i have loads of minions and millions of bucks......
bigblunt537

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12 bigblunt537
Member since 2003 • 6907 Posts

Answer any question he/she ask honestly. You will regret it later if you lie now and it turns into something serious. I would say not to give her all the information, but be honest. You can save some info on certain topics for other dates or when you guys are just sitting down talking.

BiancaDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 BiancaDK
[QUOTE="BiancaDK"][QUOTE="turbotoby95"]completely honest360forlifeagain

so what should i tell her? im a great guy hell im king and i have loads of minions and millions of bucks......

Depends, do you wanna get laid or get a relationship?
spazzx625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#14 spazzx625
Member since 2004 • 43433 Posts
There's a large difference between being honest and being polite...If the honest answer is something abrasive, you may want to dance around it a bit.
bigblunt537

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 bigblunt537
Member since 2003 • 6907 Posts

[QUOTE="360forlifeagain"][QUOTE="BiancaDK"] the diametrical opposite of this ^BiancaDK

Depends, do you wanna get laid or get a relationship?

And why can't he get both? lol

_BlueDuck_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 _BlueDuck_
Member since 2003 • 11986 Posts

Be honest but be selective about what you're honest about. And feel free to, exaggerate and framethings to your benefit. If she asks if you play sports, well, if you ever played a game of street hockey once, say you're into hockey. You're not unemployed, say that you'relooking forthe rightopportunity to come along, stuff like that.

Second_Rook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#17 Second_Rook
Member since 2007 • 3680 Posts
Take it easy, be natural, but don't feel compelled to volunteer every piece of information about yourself. Someone else said keep it about her, that would be a good way to go. Also if your honesty takes the form of frequently negative observations you might want to stifle that, be as positive as you can. Best of luck!
Blubadox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#18 Blubadox
Member since 2006 • 3777 Posts

Be honest, but don't put all your cards on the table. That might scare her away.

Jfisch93

You don't have to be totally honest...this is what happened in my case.

Her: i am gaining so much weight you know

Me: Really?

Her: Yes, I am thinking of adding a few more pounds, I want to know how it feels like being fat

Me:...

Her: I was only kidding, let's order something.

LZ71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 LZ71
Member since 2008 • 10524 Posts
I'm going to agree with alot of the people in this thread and say, if she asks you a question, answer it honestly, but if you need to, you can stretch the truth a bit. Just don't go in there and lay your life story on her. Just relax, and have fun.
Colin1192

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Colin1192
Member since 2008 • 6221 Posts

[QUOTE="BiancaDK"][QUOTE="turbotoby95"]completely honest360forlifeagain

Minions? What are you? An evil genius

BiancaDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 BiancaDK
And why can't he get both? lolbigblunt537
He can, but in a onenight stand he should just lie his tail off. "im a loner well i have a few friends, loser, no job(looking), sits at home on his ass playing video games most days who still lives with his parents and has never been kissed nor dated in 20 years.... " is not exactly a turn-on. If he is aiming for a serious relationship with the girl, he should be honest, since what goes around comes around.
lilasianwonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 lilasianwonder
Member since 2007 • 5982 Posts

Tell her you have an extensive Yugioh card collection. If she happens to ask of course.

UT_Wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#23 UT_Wrestler
Member since 2004 • 16426 Posts
Group activities are better for first dates, less intimidating for girls.
aero250

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24 aero250
Member since 2009 • 3613 Posts
Just answer what she asks honestly and you will be fine i assure you.
aero250

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 aero250
Member since 2009 • 3613 Posts

Tell her you have an extensive Yugioh card collection. If she happens to ask of course.

lilasianwonder
lol
xxxAdvocatexxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 xxxAdvocatexxx
Member since 2008 • 1797 Posts

I deleted my original post first.

Cause to be honest i don't think you should go on a date. Its sounds to me that you have to find a way to make yourself happy at this moment. You do seem a little lonely and unhappy that you don't have a job and live with your parents. If anything i think you should try to make yourself happy cause if you can't do that how are you going to make someone else happy.

Granted you probably need to get laid but women can sense insecurities like a shark can sense blood and insecurities are not attractive. If you go on a date, go to have fun, enjoy yourself and go to meet a new friend not your life partner or wife.

360forlifeagain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 360forlifeagain
[QUOTE="BiancaDK"][QUOTE="360forlifeagain"][QUOTE="BiancaDK"] Depends, do you wanna get laid or get a relationship?

the second actually..... i dont wanna shag the first chick who comes along and say "yay 20 years of virginity gone stupidly"

Be honest but be selective about what you're honest about. And feel free to, exaggerate and framethings to your benefit. If she asks if you play sports, well, if you ever played a game of street hockey once, say you're into hockey. You're not unemployed, say that you'relooking forthe rightopportunity to come along, stuff like that.

_BlueDuck_
ive never played sport :P im not the skinniest person yet not the fattest so im sure she could tell im not a sporty guy. [QUOTE="Second_Rook"] Take it easy, be natural, but don't feel compelled to volunteer every piece of information about yourself. Someone else said keep it about her, that would be a good way to go. Also if your honesty takes the form of frequently negative observations you might want to stifle that, be as positive as you can. Best of luck!

so i ask her questions or do the good ol "tell me about yourself" but also ive had people go off at me cause i didnt tell them that bla bla bla and bla bla bla to which i tell them to f off and its happened a few times which muddled my brains and left me asking you fine people for advice :P thanks for the luck
jrhawk42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#28 jrhawk42
Member since 2003 • 12764 Posts

I say be how ever honest you want to be, if she doesnt like it thats on her. Sure you might not actually have a relationship with her, but you wont be wasting a ton of time on a relationship that will never last.

Avatar image for deactivated-57af49c27f4e8
deactivated-57af49c27f4e8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#29 deactivated-57af49c27f4e8
Member since 2005 • 14149 Posts
she will probably say yes. just ask her if she wants to have a picnic with you. it's a whole lot more intimate than a movie imo. when you talk, just try to ask questions and keep the conversation about what you'd like to do, what your personality is like, and share some funny stories. you don't have to tell her everything bad about yourself and hope for the best. sounds like you have low self esteem, but you want to come across as confident to her.
360forlifeagain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 360forlifeagain
[QUOTE="BiancaDK"][QUOTE="bigblunt537"] If he is aiming for a serious relationship with the girl, he should be honest, since what goes around comes around.

^ exactly. and its come around far too many times with friends so now i want to be prepared
Group activities are better for first dates, less intimidating for girls.UT_Wrestler
and whats intimidating about a picnic in a park with a guy who'll probably be blushing too much to attack her anyway :P

Cause to be honest i don't think you should go on a date. Its sounds to me that you have to find a way to make yourself happy at this moment. You do seem a little lonely and unhappy that you don't have a job and live with your parents. If anything i think you should try to make yourself happy cause if you can't do that how are you going to make someone else happy.

Granted you probably need to get laid but women can sense insecurities like a shark can sense blood and insecurities are not attractive. If you go on a date, go to have fun, enjoy yourself and go to meet a new friend not your life partner or wife.

xxxAdvocatexxx
im happy with my life the way it is but some people dont find my life appealing or to their liking so but yeah with all i know it could be the best night of my life, none of my life comes up in the talking and she falls head over heels for me :P it could happen
xTheExploited

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 xTheExploited
Member since 2007 • 12094 Posts
Do not be honest. Let her know the basics about you but leave some mystery about yourself so that she might want to see you again.
Avatar image for LieutenantFeist
LieutenantFeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 LieutenantFeist
Member since 2008 • 1529 Posts

be honest, but don't seem depressed

Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Ontain
Member since 2005 • 25501 Posts
you can be honest without being down on yourself. personally i think you should be a good listener and questioner. ask her about herself and talk about shared interests and goals. as for yourself don't say loner. you can say introvert with a tight circle of close friends. don't say loser, if you do then you are one. don't say you just sit on your as playing VGs most of the day. tell her your future goals and how you plan to get there(and if you haven't thought that out at 20 then you better do that now) first dates are like job interviews kinda.
360forlifeagain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 360forlifeagain
she will probably say yes. just ask her if she wants to have a picnic with you. it's a whole lot more intimate than a movie imo. when you talk, just try to ask questions and keep the conversation about what you'd like to do, what your personality is like, and share some funny stories. you don't have to tell her everything bad about yourself and hope for the best. sounds like you have low self esteem, but you want to come across as confident to her. paullywog
probably is the keyword :P and my bestie said to ask her out to coffee first than have a little talk and if all goes well than ask about the picnic. well i can actually praise myself on my personality... ive been told im a great conversationalist. and my funny stories in life arent the cleanest (nothing sexual but not really clean) well ill try to sound confident but i swear ill be blushing all date :P. i should also ask do i lower my swearing? im a big swearer and i never plan to change that!
xxxAdvocatexxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 xxxAdvocatexxx
Member since 2008 • 1797 Posts

[QUOTE="xxxAdvocatexxx"]

360forlifeagain

im happy with my life the way it is but some people dont find my life appealing or to their liking so but yeah with all i know it could be the best night of my life, none of my life comes up in the talking and she falls head over heels for me :P it could happen

If your happy with life then you have nothing to worry about... Go on your date and be inquisitive if you feel that your life isn't an intersting topic ask her about herself. I'm sure she has some interesting stories to tell and when she ask stuff about you, be honest.

Sure you probably don't want to tell her everything to... cause you want to save it for another date.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

yeah, tell her honestly about what she asks, but spend the evening listening to her. It can be straining, but usually it pays off ^^

360forlifeagain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 360forlifeagain

[QUOTE="360forlifeagain"][QUOTE="xxxAdvocatexxx"]

xxxAdvocatexxx

If your happy with life then you have nothing to worry about... Go on your date and be inquisitive if you feel that your life isn't an intersting topic ask her about herself. I'm sure she has some interesting stories to tell and when she ask stuff about you, be honest.

Sure you probably don't want to tell her everything to... cause you want to save it for another date.

the only interesting things i can tell anyone about my life is my kitten and my big music collection and when i say big i mean 55 000 songs and ive been told i can talk for hours on end about music and to quote my bestie "with such passion"
so i think ill make sure to bring up music :P

well im off to bed its 3am

thanks all for the kind and good advice!

360forlifeagain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 360forlifeagain

yeah, tell her honestly about what she asks, but spend the evening listening to her. It can be straining, but usually it pays off ^^

Maddie_Larkin
oh no im a great listener believe me im actually interested in what people say when i ask them about their day. im usually the one people come to to piss and moan about their lives, they than ask me for advice.... which they dont take than we go in a circle :P its very fun :D
NauthiX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 NauthiX
Member since 2009 • 130 Posts
I was in your exact situation but i was 17. Be honest, but only about what she asks. She can figure the rest out later on. And honestly girls like guys like you more than tools with huge egos.
Paladin_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#40 Paladin_King
Member since 2008 • 11832 Posts
be sure to talk about your time in Vietnam. Make sure that no more than a single tear rolls down your cheek and when it does, look past her into the distance.
MgamerBD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 MgamerBD
Member since 2006 • 17550 Posts
Lie, lie in everything she asks you. If she asks you whats your name lie. If she asks u what are we doing lie. If she asks you if you want to have sex say no. Trust me lieing is always the right answer...
travisstaggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#42 travisstaggs
Member since 2008 • 10562 Posts
dont tell her everything right away.weezyfb
Good advice here.

Only your name. Base everything else on what she likes.

Colin1192
Good advice here also.
Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Funky_Llama
Member since 2006 • 18428 Posts

Lying is the bedrock on which every relationship is built.

Avatar image for tarnishedsteel0
tarnishedsteel0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 tarnishedsteel0
Member since 2009 • 110 Posts

Uhm. Be yourself. Don't say outlandish things. Be interested in her. And yeah, be yourself.

10thwonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 10thwonder
Member since 2009 • 2031 Posts

Watch that scene from the 40 Year Old Virgin where he talks to that chick Beth in the bookstore and doesn't say anything, just asks her questions, chicks love to talk. Plus the less you say about yourself, the more "mysterious" you will seem. Be David Caruso in Jade.

chAzN93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#46 chAzN93
Member since 2004 • 34854 Posts
pretty honest...you dont have to say every thing tho...