How good are you at math?

• 65 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18782 Posts

@indzman: I never said about being homeless for not being good at maths

I think you missed his point. A lot of business owners(and people in general) hire others in skills their not good at or help with time management among things.

@Barbariser said:

I'm consistently in the top 20% in most math classes, so I'd say pretty good.

That will be irrelevant if the competition is not good in math, Well maybe not irrelevant.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#52  Edited By indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

@PSP107 said:

@indzman: I never said about being homeless for not being good at maths

I think you missed his point. A lot of business owners(and people in general) hire others in skills their not good at or help with time management among things.

@Barbariser said:

That will be irrelevant if the competition is not good in math, Well maybe not irrelevant.

Tell me how can one become a buisnessman if he is poor in maths ? buisness is all about calculations , accountancy , maths HeHe. But i see your point , you mean to keep books properly buissnessmen hire accountants, still if ones not good in calculations the accountants will cheat em also =P

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#53 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

Above average depending on my mood and the amount of care I invest? I would say that's about average though.

Barbariser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#54 Barbariser
Member since 2009 • 6785 Posts
@PSP107 said:

@Barbariser said:

My competitors were relatively elite students in top-tier Asian private schools, it's pretty meaningful.

befo72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#55 befo72
Member since 2003 • 64 Posts
@Toxic-Seahorse said:

I was pretty good at math up until calculus. **** calculus.

This. Exactly this.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#56  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

I got by with differential and integral calculus which meant I didn't have an easy time. Same went for differential equations, kinematics, and spherical trig. I learned the fundamentals. But, be outstanding in them? Nope. Not even close.

The above is one reason why I switched my major from mechanical engineering to meteorology a long time ago. I didn't think I was cut out to be an engineer.

BossPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 BossPerson
Member since 2011 • 9177 Posts

@MonsieurX said:

Going to be soon a High School teacher,so...

so what?

there are high school teachers who are horrible and excellent at math

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#58 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

not very good at maths

achilles614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By achilles614
Member since 2005 • 5310 Posts

@br0kenrabbit said:

Love math. I see patterns in numbers like a musician sees rhythm in sheet music. Math is perfect and it cannot lie. Nothing makes more sense to me than a perfectly stated equation.

It's beautiful.

Same I really enjoy math. Complex numbers/quantities kinda make me scratch my head (like complex current or voltage). Some of the arbitrary domain transformations too.

I'm dreading this fall where I actually have to apply vector calculus to Maxwell's equations in the arbitrary geometric sense (no more charged spheres... :( ) I have to brush up on line and surface integration for sure.

I'm just thankful that my field's math is somewhat basic (digital hardware/computing architectures)...though genetic algorithms, still trying to understand those. You're a computer science guy right? I believe you love math.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#60 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17851 Posts

@achilles614 said:

Same I really enjoy math. Complex numbers/quantities kinda make me scratch my head (like complex current or voltage). Some of the arbitrary domain transformations too.

I'm dreading this fall where I actually have to apply vector calculus to Maxwell's equations in the arbitrary geometric sense (no more charged spheres... :( ) I have to brush up on line and surface integration for sure.

I'm just thankful that my field's math is somewhat basic (digital hardware/computing architectures)...though genetic algorithms, still trying to understand those. You're a computer science guy right? I believe you love math.

Yeah, CIS degree. Math is quite integral to computer science for obvious reasons, whether you're dealing with hardware or software. The great thing about math though is that there's no room for interpretation, it's either right or wrong. lawl.

achilles614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 achilles614
Member since 2005 • 5310 Posts

@br0kenrabbit said:

Yeah, CIS degree. Math is quite integral to computer science for obvious reasons, whether you're dealing with hardware or software. The great thing about math though is that there's no room for interpretation, it's either right or wrong. lawl.

I agree. Though plenty of people can do the math, but where the rubber meets the road they fall short (application)...so many engineering students destroy the calculus sequence but couldn't make an efficient design to save their life.

A lot of them fail to realize that while math is cool and all, it's just a tool for us at the end of the day. (kinda went on a tangent but oh well :P )

Back to topic though, math is awesome and more people should take it seriously because it can be helpful in so many everyday situations (ex. if you know your speed and how far you have to go, then you can find the travel time...simple but still useful).

bforrester420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#62 bforrester420
Member since 2014 • 3480 Posts

I'm not particularly good at math either. Then again, I haven't seen an Algebraic equation in over 16 years.

Avatar image for theguitarguy321
theguitarguy321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#63 theguitarguy321
Member since 2010 • 64 Posts

I freakin' SUCK at math. If it wasn't for my math teachers' tutoring, I might've failed my math classes in high school.

Darthkaiser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#64 Darthkaiser
Member since 2006 • 12447 Posts

I think I'm pretty decent

awesome3496

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#65 awesome3496
Member since 2008 • 2209 Posts

@Toxic-Seahorse said:

I was pretty good at math up until calculus. **** calculus.

Agreed.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#66 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9384 Posts

It's actually cool to be good at math. I get all the ladies when they see me integrate polynomials. Calculus saves lives. I'm basically a super hero.