How good are you at math?

• 65 results
#1 Posted by gamerguru100 (10647 posts) -

My ability to solve and comprehend math problems is probably on par with that of a lobotomized chimpanzee on crack.

#2 Posted by chessmaster1989 (29380 posts) -

I always could be better at math than I am :P

#3 Posted by Toxic-Seahorse (4135 posts) -

I was pretty good at math up until calculus. Fuck calculus.

#4 Edited by geniobastardo (1294 posts) -

@chessmaster1989 said:

I always could be better at math than I am :P

#5 Posted by heguain (668 posts) -

Well, I really Iove Maths.. But I still use the calculator alot...:D

#6 Posted by blangenakker (2385 posts) -

Absolutely horrible.

#7 Posted by indzman (18074 posts) -

@gamerguru100 said:

My ability to solve and comprehend math problems is probably on par with that of a lobotomized chimpanzee on crack.

I feel you brah , on same page :(

#8 Posted by Stranger_36 (481 posts) -

Pretty bad at it.

#9 Posted by MonsieurX (30415 posts) -

Going to be soon a High School teacher,so...

#10 Edited by LZ71 (10289 posts) -

I've been decent enough at what I've come across as an aerospace engineering major so far. Which amounts to jack shit really when evaluating if I'm truly good at math or not, but nothing has been too bad for me yet.

I don't even want to know what math majors have to go through though.

#11 Posted by plageus900 (1081 posts) -

@heguain said:

There is no shame in that. My professor told me that if you arent using a calculator, youre wasting your time. Your ability to understand complex equations is more important.

#12 Posted by CyberLips (1824 posts) -

I love math...when i understand it.

#13 Posted by Korvus (3896 posts) -

I used to love math, now I have a love-hate relationship with it. Always had top grades until my final year of high school then that year the math teacher was pregnant and at a point she had to stop teaching...ok, it happens...a month without math...then when we finally get a substitute teacher, she had a completely different teaching method, picked up at a completely different point than where we were, got us all mixed up, taught us for 2 months, got pregnant and left as soon as she started showing. Ok, now that's annoying...4 months without a teacher again (wtf?)...3rd teacher shows up, after only a month she quits and turns out she got pregnant too...

So apparently our principal had a thing for math teachers (and he might have been an alien, considering how fast he got them pregnant every time...also how he brainwashed them into unprotected sex)...and while he was studying multiplication with them (and apparently firing them afterwards) we were the ones getting screwed =P Took me a while to recover that wasted year math-wise....eventually I caught up but never really enjoyed math much afterwards.

#14 Posted by PSP107 (11906 posts) -

@heguain said:

You still had to input the numbers/signs correctly.

@MonsieurX said:

Any strategies you're going to use to get kids interested/good at math?

#15 Posted by johnd13 (8219 posts) -

I'm average I guess though I always managed to get decent grades thanks to hard work and luck. Never was into Math to begin with. Thankfully I no longer have any Math classes in university. Hurray!

#16 Posted by Netret0120 (2198 posts) -

1+1=1 :-)

#17 Edited by Iszdope (10126 posts) -

I was pretty fuckin' good.

Was.

#18 Posted by MirkoS77 (7580 posts) -

Awful. AWFUL.

Don't believe me? I failed basic algebra 3 times in a row in college. I put in my full effort, went to study hall, tutors, everything. I am incapable of grasping rudimentary mathematical concepts. My mind does not work that way. My dad used to scream at me trying to help with homework back in HS, so I think it's a phobia in a way. He's an optical physicist, he's not stupid, and neither am I, I just didn't inherent his mind frame.

#19 Posted by ShepardCommandr (2736 posts) -

awful

I hate it

#20 Posted by Iszdope (10126 posts) -

@ShepardCommandr: Wow, that's a surprise.

#21 Posted by mjorh (802 posts) -

I'm studying mechanical engineering so literally i'm in the math heaven ! can't say i'm pretty good at it but i can do some stuff !

#22 Posted by Black_Alpha_G (91 posts) -

@blangenakker said:

Absolutely horrible.

This. Fuck math.

#23 Posted by elkoldo (1164 posts) -

I study mathematics at uni.The third year is coming up.

#24 Edited by alim298 (1469 posts) -

It depends. I'm good at some branches of math and am terrible at some other branches.

#25 Posted by jasean79 (2375 posts) -

I was good at Math and Science in school, but now not so much. I rarely ever have a use for anything outside of basic arithmetic, so I'd probably fail really bad. What I never liked was "math word problems". Those were the absolute worst.

#26 Posted by osan0 (12740 posts) -

pretty rubbish.

i can do the basics fine but anything beyond add/subtrac/multiply/divide is a lost cause.

where it gets even worse is using maths (we refer to it as maths here rather than math) to solve actual problems. again i can do the basics (for checking change, totting up bills etc.) but ask me to use maths to solve more complex problems and null will be returned. find the most efficent route for 6 lorries to deliver 600 mackages to different homes around the country in both the shortest time and using the least fuel possible. er....er.....pi? mmmmmm pi :D. i cant even fathom the maths involved in determining things like the higs boson or even e=mc^2 (as in how did einstein actually get to that formula?).

differential equation? no idea how they work. where would it be useful? i have absolutely no idea.

where i live maths is thought using rote learning. its a complete disaster. companies have to get people in from other countries to fill their more maths dependent roles because few natives can do it.

at least i know my tables. 2+2 (carry the 1, divide by pi, multiply by the tangent of the angle of my laptops screen)...... is 5.....wait.... :-/

#27 Posted by MonsieurX (30415 posts) -

@PSP107 said:
@MonsieurX said:

Teaching naked should help out.

#28 Posted by pyro1245 (855 posts) -

Math is great. As an engineering student I took through calc III, diff eqs and linear algebra. I always wanted to take the real analysis course as well. Holy shit math is awesome. I'm pretty good at it to. Calculus is amazing and once you know how to apply it to real world problems and see how it all relates your mind gets blown (I'm looking at you structural analysis).

@heguain said:

tools of the trade. Once you understand the fundamentals there's really no reason to do anything by hand. Most complex problems are better suited toward programming and matlab.

#29 Posted by ferrari2001 (16969 posts) -

I used to be terrible at math until I took an astronomy class in college. My math skills improved significantly in that class, mostly because the math I was doing actually had purpose and actual results. I could observe an object and do math to figure out various aspects of that object. In high school I did math using general questions that had no feasible reasons or results and I quickly lost interest.

#30 Edited by br0kenrabbit (13042 posts) -

Love math. I see patterns in numbers like a musician sees rhythm in sheet music. Math is perfect and it cannot lie. Nothing makes more sense to me than a perfectly stated equation.

It's beautiful.

#31 Edited by dave123321 (34133 posts) -

Me and Maths are thick as thieves

#32 Posted by TheFlush (5565 posts) -

It was all cool until Goniometry and Logarithm kicked in.

#33 Posted by InEMplease (6342 posts) -

@br0kenrabbit said:

Love math. I see patterns in numbers like a musician sees rhythm in sheet music. Math is perfect and it cannot lie. Nothing makes more sense to me than a perfectly stated equation.

It's beautiful.

Like. :)

#34 Posted by Sparky04 (3385 posts) -

Math might be my favorite subject. What happened for me was once I got past a lot of Calculus and Differential Equations, learning more methods and techniques inside of those fields just became an extra way of thinking about things until it got to the point where I feel comfortable learning new areas that I have virtually no experience in like probability and all sorts of transforms.

#35 Posted by SolidSnake35 (58110 posts) -

Was good in high school. But I never enjoyed much past arithmetic and gave up in later years when it became optional. Most of it sounded like witchcraft. Without context, why should I care about the gradient of a curve at a single point? Maybe it has uses, but I'd like to know about them first. Nobody keeps me the dark.

#36 Edited by Gamerno6666 (1533 posts) -

Well pretty good at it when I put my mind in to it. Though I still question myself how in the hell I got an A+ in concrete mathematics.

#37 Posted by harry_james_pot (10922 posts) -

I was kinda good at it back in college, but since then it all got wiped away from my brain. :P

#38 Posted by PSP107 (11906 posts) -

@MonsieurX said:

@PSP107 said:
@MonsieurX said:

Isn't that sexual harassment?

#39 Posted by MonsieurX (30415 posts) -

@PSP107 said:

@MonsieurX said:

@PSP107 said:
@MonsieurX said:

Isn't that sexual harassment?

Slightly.

#40 Posted by PSP107 (11906 posts) -

@MonsieurX:

What level you're teaching, Freshman, Sophomore, Junior or Senior?

#41 Posted by MonsieurX (30415 posts) -

@PSP107 said:

@MonsieurX:

What level you're teaching, Freshman, Sophomore, Junior or Senior?

Not sure exactly what those represent (I'm not in USA),but they'll range from 12 to 17

#42 Posted by Emil_Fontz (306 posts) -

It depends on the type of math. I did well in the formulaic type, earning a B, B+, and an A in Calculus 1, 2, and 3 respectively (yes, my grades increased as the course levels increased). However, I didn't do so well in abstract and logical math, such as Logical Proof Methods.

#43 Edited by gamerguru100 (10647 posts) -

In case anyone was wondering, my limit is basic algebra. After that, I'm screwed.

#44 Posted by indzman (18074 posts) -

Anyone not good at basic maths is not very successful in life as in daily life maths is there ( Job , buisness , managing cash , buying / selling , building a home ). Those who are good at maths have it easier in life.

#45 Posted by gamerguru100 (10647 posts) -

@indzman said:

Anyone not good at basic maths is not very successful in life as in daily life maths is there ( Job , buisness , managing cash , buying / selling , building a home ). Those who are good at maths have it easier in life.

If this was true, then half of America would be homeless.

#46 Posted by indzman (18074 posts) -

@gamerguru100 said:

@indzman said:

If this was true, then half of America would be homeless.

I never said about being homeless for not being good at maths =P Being good in maths sharpens ones brain lol. I'm not good in maths myself mind it , i regret it :)

#47 Posted by GTR12 (9656 posts) -

Hated high school maths but I loved Uni maths. Loving the cryptography still.

#48 Posted by Shmiity (5145 posts) -

I was alright at it in school. I didn't get very far in Mathematical subjects, though. I studied Music in college, so I had no math classes. I only took Algebra 1, Geometry 1, and Statistics in highschool.

#49 Posted by Barbariser (6724 posts) -

I'm consistently in the top 20% in most math classes, so I'd say pretty good.

#50 Posted by Kevlar101 (6204 posts) -

My mind is just not wired to grasp math.