How Gamespot degenerated over the years

  • 134 results
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
#51 Posted by tysonwritesel (2274 posts) -

Uh, I've been coming to videogames.com since 1998. You can always create a new account. The people that left, left. Good for them! A lot of people have been employed and have left the site since it's inception. Sorry I don't feel bad for people that made a paycheck at GameSpot and didn't meet CBSi's standards or left for greener pastures. They own the site. They can do whatever they want with it. Don't like a feature? Don't read the stupid thing. Giantbomb was supposed to kill GameSpot. It didn't! It got BOUGHT by CBSi and is languishing that Jeff has to post all those Jar videos to try to get subs. I'm never going to leave the site until the lights go out for good. They won't. If GameSpot gets shut down it will be because of sub-par content and not enough participation from the community.

Like Reddit for it's gaming content, then go there. Like IGN64 for it's gaming content, then go there. They aren't even a dedicated gaming site anymore. With Ryan MacDonald leaving the old guard is gone from this site. This site can't be stuck in the past to move forward. Hell goto any other site if you want... NeoGAF or whatever they are called. I don't care. GameSpot is going to continue on whether you like it or not. Thank you for reading and good bye!

#52 Posted by geniobastardo (1294 posts) -

Feedbackula was actually good. And System Wars is a good way to get out of depression. Endless trolling is fun.

#53 Posted by DonQuixote (110 posts) -

Everything remotely interesting also gets locked. Like things i have posted about prostitution and blowing up the Earth. Censorship is stupid. You should let a creative mind like mine run wild.

#54 Edited by LJS9502_basic (151440 posts) -

@dave123321 said:

Bran who wanted the new tou?

Come on dave you were here and you know who complained the most for it. And when they got it....they didn't like the results so they left..

#55 Posted by LexLas (4273 posts) -

I've said it before, and i'll say it again. If someone out there can make a site, that has the exact graphs, and designs as the old Gamespot, they've hit gold. I would join in a second, and luv to blog and be there as much as possible. I so miss the old GS also. But this site is cool too. Obviously the media is totally awesome here, and it needed an update to most likely be able to handle. I do wish there was a old GS site somewhere on the NEt,.

#56 Posted by CyberLips (1824 posts) -

The nail in the coffin was the redesign, they removed almost everything that brought the community together. They even stopped featuring blogs made by users, one less reason to visit the site. The only reason i come here is to visit the forums and check the news of the day. They might as well shut down the site and stick to their YouTube channel.

#57 Posted by dave123321 (34141 posts) -

@LJS9502_basic: I know that many people wanted a less strict tou that wasn't as suffocating but not one that was basically nonexistent. So no one really got their way.

#58 Posted by Jacanuk (4732 posts) -

@geniobastardo said:

Feedbackula was actually good. And System Wars is a good way to get out of depression. Endless trolling is fun.

Fun sarcastic post there.

@dave123321 said:

@LJS9502_basic: I know that many people wanted a less strict tou that wasn't as suffocating but not one that was basically nonexistent. So no one really got their way.

The new Terms of use came after the GTA V review and after i think most of gamespot noticed that the atmosphere had become a lot more toxic during the course of Feedbackula. but i think it was particular the GTA V review which caused so much troll hate against Carolyn. That the staff knew it was time to do something.

#59 Posted by magicalclick (22820 posts) -

I wish they go back to the good old days. I hop on to Xbox forum and I see 10 different threads about Halo2 on the first page.

I really really dislike going into sticky thread because there is nothing specific to talk about in there.

And I don't want to go into Halo2 forum. I want to just talk about games in the main Xbox forum. They can automatically filter the topic to each smaller forums, but, I want to see it all in one Xbox forum.

Without this, I find nothing good to read as Xbox forum itself rarely talks about games because we weren't allow to.

#60 Edited by BranKetra (48757 posts) -
@airshocker said:

No, you really didn't. We've already discussed why you're a hypocrite. My opinions from that past, private conversation haven't changed. I've also just made suggestions. Time will tell if you guys actually take us up on our suggestions.

I did and I will show you.

Here, you asked:

Excuse me, which users that asked for a more relaxed ToU sent that GS reviewer death threats?

That was in response to this post:

A few years ago, a vocal minority group who represented banned users on GameSpot coerced forum users about the former Terms of Use and debated with site moderators as well as staff. Eventually, their arguments became relevant enough to prompt a vote that affected all of GameSpot via Terms of Use, yet most of the participants usually were on Off-Topic if any part of this site. The voting results were in favor of a more relaxed ToU, banned user accounts were reinstated, and things degenerated. Finally, when former GS reviewer Carolyn Petit made a review for Grand Theft Auto V, many users insulted the gender and sexuality status of that individual. Also, they sent that Carolyn Petit death threats and called for a dismissal from GameSpot. The GameSpot staff recognized the damage that decision had caused, though perhaps in a way which was not holistic and the Code of Conduct and Terms of Use were made stricter. While not nearly as strict as before, the Code of Conduct is far stricter than previously so.

In particular, the above bolded

To clarify, I said:

I hope you misunderstood me. I did not say that exactly. The people who did that were in the comments sections and the forums as well, but I was not referring to the same group of users who initially called for the ToU change and banned user forgiveness. I know you dislike me for some reason. I would appreciate you not making a mountain out a of a mole hill especially when related to what I say because you seem disingenuous at best right now and slanderous at worst.

If that still does not make sense, please inform me about which part is confusing and I would be happy to further elaborate. I am not your enemy.

@airshocker said:

That is a cop-out, no pun intended. A moderator is an arbitrator or mediator. While moderator evokes a more peaceful image than say, enforcer, it's the same exact thing.

That is your opinion and you are entitled to it, no matter how much evidence is given to the contrary.

Again, we have a different mentality. Rule enforcement is something we do, but that is not our primary purpose.

@lostrib said:

@BranKetra said:

@lostrib: It is fair to say that there is a part of GameSpot who would like stricter rules. If you are one of those users then the Bug & Feedback Forum is the perfect place to talk about it.

I don't necessarily want stricter enforcement. Just commenting that during the site redesign there was a lot of talk about the stricter TOU and then we didn't really see much come from that. I do think that the reporting system is flawed, and there is a lack of consistency in enforcement of the rules/lack of communication of what constitutes a violation.

I mean in the TOU under Acceptable Use it pretty much covers everything under the sun. But there doesn't seem to be a consistent message of what actually is a moderatable/reportable offense.

Heck even the GS staff doesn't follow the rules

I am fairly certain that System Wars following different rules than other parts of GameSpot is common knowledge, but to inform everyone, they are likely at least one collective reason things seem to occur differently there. As far as other parts of the site, I will only say that each moderator is different, but our intentions our fair.

The Terms of Use sometimes require interpretation, so I will see if we can get a FAQ open where multiple moderators give their input. Before doing that, I am going to say something. We get our advice from the GS staff, so if users do not believe us then the same sentiment must be held for the staff who made this site in which case I say good luck with that.

#61 Posted by uninspiredcup (8948 posts) -
@drekula2 said:


Mistake 2 - Allowing rudeness in System Wars

Mods decided to go along with the nastiness rather than stop it, so the good people left and the trolls remain.

Essentially remove any sense of chaotic unpredictable fun and have a bunch of watch paint dry pussy cats who get upset and run at the slightest thing.

That doesn't sound very interesting at all.

#62 Edited by KHAndAnime (13877 posts) -

Gamespot just isn't what it used to be. It can be dissected in a million different ways but there is no going back. The site was going downwards even before Jeff got fired, but that is definitely a memorable event that kicked off the downward slope. With no offense to the current staff, the previous Gamespot staff seemed to be much better connected with the community. They voiced the community's opinions quite well, without pandering or losing a significant amount of objectivity. There was a lot more passion for games, and it really showed. Game reviews were faster released, better written, more objective, etc. The new Gamespot staff seems far more likely to make fun of the community and their opinions, and act like their opinions are the only ones that really matter because they're writing the articles, and creating clickbait.

Hell - It used to be commonplace to see some GS staff interact with the community and even defend their opinions. Now I get the impression that they all think they're entirely above the community, above defending or clarifying their opinions, and above taking their jobs that seriously. Obviously it's not a job requirement to regularly interact with the community - but it'd be nice if they did...ever...The most I've seen lately is Kevin V poke at trolls in his review comments.

#63 Posted by BSC14 (3903 posts) -

This site is really struggling now a days. It used to be the most respected site around...now it's just another site.

In my opinion, it's the people writing the articles on the site. I quit subscribing here because I got so sick of the constant articles based around social issues. For a while it was just constantly and I just had a gut full and decided to can my sub.

This site is supposed to be about gaming and it was at it's prime when that's what it focused on. Now the writers seem more interested "gaymer" stuff, how Muslims are portrayed in games or how the game industry isn't fair for females and so on. Gets really old...

To me this killed the site...and if you look at these articles and look at the bottom and see the replies to the articles you will see a lot of people agree.

#64 Posted by BSC14 (3903 posts) -

@KHAndAnime:

"With no offense to the current staff, the previous Gamespot staff seemed to be much better connected with the community"

Yep! imo it's because they have a bunch of people writing articles on ridiculous social issues with a gaming flare. They got away focusing on gaming and now they just get all wrapped up in trying to change the world with their agendas. Like a bunch of children but really they have only hurt the site.

#65 Edited by playmynutz (6063 posts) -

GS is like south park; it was vulgar then became politically correct

#66 Posted by PurpleLabel (302 posts) -

@playmynutz said:

GS is like south park; it was vulgar then became politically correct

Except south park just got more vulgar and has never been politically correct.

#67 Posted by Jacanuk (4732 posts) -

@KHAndAnime said:

Gamespot just isn't what it used to be. It can be dissected in a million different ways but there is no going back. The site was going downwards even before Jeff got fired, but that is definitely a memorable event that kicked off the downward slope. With no offense to the current staff, the previous Gamespot staff seemed to be much better connected with the community. They voiced the community's opinions quite well, without pandering or losing a significant amount of objectivity. There was a lot more passion for games, and it really showed. Game reviews were faster released, better written, more objective, etc. The new Gamespot staff seems far more likely to make fun of the community and their opinions, and act like their opinions are the only ones that really matter because they're writing the articles, and creating clickbait.

Hell - It used to be commonplace to see some GS staff interact with the community and even defend their opinions. Now I get the impression that they all think they're entirely above the community, above defending or clarifying their opinions, and above taking their jobs that seriously. Obviously it's not a job requirement to regularly interact with the community - but it'd be nice if they did...ever...The most I've seen lately is Kevin V poke at trolls in his review comments.

I agree but it was also a very different kind of staff harmony back then which you can see in their old videos not to mention go back and watch On The Spot, or the start with Ryan Davis. But those are back and once Giantbomb becomes merged with Gamespot i am sure we will see

But its not all bad the forums have actually become a more much pleasant place, i remember before the redesign and it was not a good place, mainly because of a select group who enjoyed their own company to much.

#68 Edited by airshocker (29882 posts) -

@BranKetra said:

@airshocker said:

That is a cop-out, no pun intended. A moderator is an arbitrator or mediator. While moderator evokes a more peaceful image than say, enforcer, it's the same exact thing.

That is your opinion and you are entitled to it, no matter how much evidence is given to the contrary.

Again, we have a different mentality. Rule enforcement is something we do, but that is not our primary purpose.

It's not an opinion. It is what you do.

  • The best we can to maintain a positive and vibrant community --- by enforcing the rules
  • Delete comments in breach of the Code of Conduct --- same as above
  • Move Threads --- in accordance with established procedures, thus enforcing those rules
  • Purge Threads --- same as above
  • Lock Threads --- same as above
  • Issue Strikes including bans --- when people break the rules, thus enforcing those rules
#69 Posted by JDWolfie (1880 posts) -

I've been on this site since 2007. I usually check out the main page and off-topics. I think getting rid of the down votes was a big one. That was the beginning of this site becoming so hateful.

#70 Posted by Ackad (3183 posts) -

It's unfortunate to see this site go down to the wastelands. GameSpot's 2005-2008 golden years will never be forgotten. That's a promise made by most of the GS veteran posters.

#71 Edited by BranKetra (48757 posts) -

@airshocker said:

@BranKetra said:

@airshocker said:

That is a cop-out, no pun intended. A moderator is an arbitrator or mediator. While moderator evokes a more peaceful image than say, enforcer, it's the same exact thing.

That is your opinion and you are entitled to it, no matter how much evidence is given to the contrary.

Again, we have a different mentality. Rule enforcement is something we do, but that is not our primary purpose.

It's not an opinion. It is what you do.

  • The best we can to maintain a positive and vibrant community --- by enforcing the rules
  • Delete comments in breach of the Code of Conduct --- same as above
  • Move Threads --- in accordance with established procedures, thus enforcing those rules
  • Purge Threads --- same as above
  • Lock Threads --- same as above
  • Issue Strikes including bans --- when people break the rules, thus enforcing those rules

Sorry, but no.

That is your perspective and I must inform you again that it is a subjective one which is not how we actually operate.

#72 Posted by airshocker (29882 posts) -

@BranKetra said:

Sorry, but no.

I am not going to continue correcting you, for now.

You're not correcting anything as it is. Your job is one of enforcement. I have just shown you with your own words why that is. I don't know why you won't just admit to that.

If you're just trying to argue semantics then good riddance. I'm not going to bash my skull against the wall trying to argue with another thegerg.

#73 Edited by BranKetra (48757 posts) -

@airshocker: Edited post

Do not take it the wrong way. My initial comments can sometimes be too forward.

I am telling you what staff told me when I became a moderator. Considering they are the authority on GameSpot and I am a representative of this site, one might believe, no, expect some level of acceptance to my statements. However, time and again, you have refused to accept what I tell you. You are welcome to ask staff yourself about anything I tell you for verification purposes.

#74 Posted by airshocker (29882 posts) -

@BranKetra said:

@airshocker: Edited post

Do not take it the wrong way. My initial comments can sometimes be too forward.

Also, I am telling you what staff told me when I became a moderator. No offense, but considering they are the authority on GameSpot and I am a representative of this site, one might believe, no, expect some level of acceptance to my statements. However, time and again, you have refused to accept what I tell you. You are welcome to ask staff yourself about anything I tell you for verification.

Closing a thread because it's violating the Code of Conduct IS enforcement. Issuing a ban to somebody for breaking the rules IS enforcing those rules. Issuing a warning to somebody for breaking those rules IS enforcement. I'm not going to accept statements that are patently false. It doesn't matter what position you hold or who gave it to you.

I'm not sure why you're arguing with me over this. It's not subjective.

#75 Posted by Serraph105 (28153 posts) -

Like airshocker I do wish mods would participate a bit more often. By that I specifically mean make more interesting threads worthwhile of discussion and/or interesting reactions. For the record I have zero idea if this fall under their "job description" but mods use to do that. Hell even when Master_Live was a mod for a while doing his troll thing at the very least you could argue that he was increasing the amount of conversation on this site.

I feel like there is very little caring about whether or not this forum goes under or not even by the people in charge. So yeah the quantity of discussion may not equal quality but you need some discussion to get a reasonable amount of quality.

#76 Edited by BranKetra (48757 posts) -

@airshocker said:

@BranKetra said:

@airshocker: Edited post

Do not take it the wrong way. My initial comments can sometimes be too forward.

Also, I am telling you what staff told me when I became a moderator. No offense, but considering they are the authority on GameSpot and I am a representative of this site, one might believe, no, expect some level of acceptance to my statements. However, time and again, you have refused to accept what I tell you. You are welcome to ask staff yourself about anything I tell you for verification.

Closing a thread because it's violating the Code of Conduct IS enforcement. Issuing a ban to somebody for breaking the rules IS enforcing those rules. Issuing a warning to somebody for breaking those rules IS enforcement. I'm not going to accept statements that are patently false. It doesn't matter what position you hold or who gave it to you.

I'm not sure why you're arguing with me over this. It's not subjective.

I am not arguing with you. You are disputing what the moderation team has expressed to you in this thread. I will be candid with you. Our purpose is specifically not to be rule enforcers, but positive elements who uplift the mentalities of the GS community to something more positive than before. When we close a thread because it violates the code of conduct, the idea is to consider it to not be propagating our ideology. The important point I am emphasizing with you is that this is a practice of an idea that anyone can come to a site and share ideas with others while having the security to do it in a civilized setting which is a secondary function of our team.

As I said previously, if you hold anything I say here in doubt, you are welcome to contact the Community Managers.

#77 Edited by Serraph105 (28153 posts) -

Regardless of rule enforcement I feel like an attempt to regularly create quality topics would directly fall under the "vibrant community" point Bran made earlier.

Edit then again it seems like everyone in tho thread wants sonething different to reinvigorate the website so I get the plight of the average mod. My request hower seems like it can reasonably be addressed by mods without needing to get higher up staff involved.

#78 Edited by BranKetra (48757 posts) -

@Serraph105 said:

Regardless of rule enforcement I feel like an attempt to regularly create quality topics would directly fall under the "vibrant community" point Bran made earlier.

Edit then again it seems like everyone in tho thread wants sonething different to reinvigorate the website so I get the plight of the average mod. My request hower seems like it can reasonably be addressed by mods without needing to get higher up staff involved.

I agree with you in saying we can be more can be done and we are working to address that. Doing so been a time consuming process, but ideas have begun to form into plans of action.

#79 Posted by LJS9502_basic (151440 posts) -

@Serraph105 said:

Like airshocker I do wish mods would participate a bit more often. By that I specifically mean make more interesting threads worthwhile of discussion and/or interesting reactions. For the record I have zero idea if this fall under their "job description" but mods use to do that. Hell even when Master_Live was a mod for a while doing his troll thing at the very least you could argue that he was increasing the amount of conversation on this site.

I feel like there is very little caring about whether or not this forum goes under or not even by the people in charge. So yeah the quantity of discussion may not equal quality but you need some discussion to get a reasonable amount of quality.

There actually doesn't seem to be any mods left that want to be part of the community....or very few anyway.

#80 Posted by Victorious_Fize (6118 posts) -

They took down the DWU. :(

Maaan, GameSpot was at its peak back when unions were around.

#81 Edited by Korvus (3920 posts) -

@LJS9502_basic said:

@Serraph105 said:

Like airshocker I do wish mods would participate a bit more often. By that I specifically mean make more interesting threads worthwhile of discussion and/or interesting reactions. For the record I have zero idea if this fall under their "job description" but mods use to do that. Hell even when Master_Live was a mod for a while doing his troll thing at the very least you could argue that he was increasing the amount of conversation on this site.

I feel like there is very little caring about whether or not this forum goes under or not even by the people in charge. So yeah the quantity of discussion may not equal quality but you need some discussion to get a reasonable amount of quality.

There actually doesn't seem to be any mods left that want to be part of the community....or very few anyway.

A lot of the mods (like me) who wanted to stay active in the community had to step down because it's really hard to do both. At a point I had to choose between being a mod or a user...I chose being here with you guys.

#82 Posted by airshocker (29882 posts) -

@BranKetra said:

@airshocker said:

@BranKetra said:

@airshocker: Edited post

Do not take it the wrong way. My initial comments can sometimes be too forward.

Also, I am telling you what staff told me when I became a moderator. No offense, but considering they are the authority on GameSpot and I am a representative of this site, one might believe, no, expect some level of acceptance to my statements. However, time and again, you have refused to accept what I tell you. You are welcome to ask staff yourself about anything I tell you for verification.

Closing a thread because it's violating the Code of Conduct IS enforcement. Issuing a ban to somebody for breaking the rules IS enforcing those rules. Issuing a warning to somebody for breaking those rules IS enforcement. I'm not going to accept statements that are patently false. It doesn't matter what position you hold or who gave it to you.

I'm not sure why you're arguing with me over this. It's not subjective.

I am not arguing with you. You are disputing what the moderation team has expressed to you in this thread. I will be candid with you. Our purpose is specifically not to be rule enforcers, but positive elements who uplift the mentalities of the GS community to something more positive than before. When we close a thread because it violates the code of conduct, the idea is to consider it to not be propagating our ideology. The important point I am emphasizing with you is that this is a practice of an idea that anyone can come to a site and share ideas with others while having the security to do it in a civilized setting which is a secondary function of our team.

As I said previously, if you hold anything I say here in doubt, you are welcome to contact the Community Managers.

But you're rule enforcers none-the-less.

I don't need to contact anybody. I've already proven you wrong. And your appeal to authority is kind of sad. Stand on what YOU as a user have written.

#83 Edited by BranKetra (48757 posts) -

@airshocker said:

@BranKetra said:

@airshocker said:

@BranKetra said:

@airshocker: Edited post

Do not take it the wrong way. My initial comments can sometimes be too forward.

Also, I am telling you what staff told me when I became a moderator. No offense, but considering they are the authority on GameSpot and I am a representative of this site, one might believe, no, expect some level of acceptance to my statements. However, time and again, you have refused to accept what I tell you. You are welcome to ask staff yourself about anything I tell you for verification.

Closing a thread because it's violating the Code of Conduct IS enforcement. Issuing a ban to somebody for breaking the rules IS enforcing those rules. Issuing a warning to somebody for breaking those rules IS enforcement. I'm not going to accept statements that are patently false. It doesn't matter what position you hold or who gave it to you.

I'm not sure why you're arguing with me over this. It's not subjective.

I am not arguing with you. You are disputing what the moderation team has expressed to you in this thread. I will be candid with you. Our purpose is specifically not to be rule enforcers, but positive elements who uplift the mentalities of the GS community to something more positive than before. When we close a thread because it violates the code of conduct, the idea is to consider it to not be propagating our ideology. The important point I am emphasizing with you is that this is a practice of an idea that anyone can come to a site and share ideas with others while having the security to do it in a civilized setting which is a secondary function of our team.

As I said previously, if you hold anything I say here in doubt, you are welcome to contact the Community Managers.

But you're rule enforcers none-the-less.

I don't need to contact anybody. I've already proven you wrong. And your appeal to authority is kind of sad. Stand on what YOU as a user have written.

Please understand. I expressed something other than that we were not at all; We are not primarily so.

That last part is strange of you to have said. My knowledge as a moderator is founded by my own experiences on GameSpot and beyond while also being complemented by more experienced moderators and staff. To isolate a member of a team when the entire group is what is important seems to be of an ulterior motive other than one which is focused on improving the site unless, of course, you can prove otherwise.

#84 Posted by jointed (16719 posts) -

What made me leave GS was my permaban. This account was banned twice (and reinstated twice). I used to spend a whole lot of time on these boards back in the day (2004-2009). My point is that the users whom I had befriended was the reason I continued to visit GS for all those years, they were all banned though and when I came back the second time everything was different, my old friends had found new forums and the group of people I socialized with on GS had been scattered. It has been 5 years since I stopped visiting GS on a daily basis and boy has it changed.

#85 Posted by arad96 (7725 posts) -

I blame Bush for everything.

#86 Posted by dave123321 (34141 posts) -

Guys let me be your community involved moderator

#87 Edited by indzman (18122 posts) -

@dave123321 said:

Guys let me be your community involved moderator

wut ?

you want to become a mod or asking for something else ?

#88 Posted by jimy1475 (1168 posts) -

wait, what was wrong with the old forums and the main site that it had to be scraped?

#89 Edited by Shadowchronicle (26039 posts) -

@donquixote said:

Everything remotely interesting also gets locked. Like things i have posted about prostitution and blowing up the Earth. Censorship is stupid. You should let a creative mind like mine run wild.

I think for the most part, people agree that your topics in OT are disruptive and should be locked.

Also I think if moderators got to choose how the ToU works things would be a lot different.

#90 Posted by Shawcross (1264 posts) -

I have been on here since 2007 and the main reason I have stopped coming to the site over the last couple years is due to the site changes and Reddit. I just don't like the way the site looks now overall and it is too over complicated (profiles are ugly too). I want to be able to change my username too but keep my original account since I was like 19 years old at the time going through my emo phase and named myself after a damn serial killer.......yeah that happened.

#91 Posted by BranKetra (48757 posts) -

@jimy1475: It was outdated and was barely working with modern updates.

#92 Posted by harry_james_pot (10927 posts) -

@jimy1475 said:

wait, what was wrong with the old forums and the main site that it had to be scraped?

It was running on ancient code from the 90s. Each update we saw since then was just visual, adding extra stuff on top of broken base. While the main site looked fine to us, apparently it was a lot of work to even publish a new article and things like that.

As for the forums? Threads breaking down after a certain amount of pages, quadruple posts, stupid html errors, post count not updating, and of course.. Bonk. Were you here at all?

#93 Posted by airshocker (29882 posts) -

@BranKetra said:

@airshocker said:

@BranKetra said:

@airshocker said:

@BranKetra said:

@airshocker: Edited post

Do not take it the wrong way. My initial comments can sometimes be too forward.

Also, I am telling you what staff told me when I became a moderator. No offense, but considering they are the authority on GameSpot and I am a representative of this site, one might believe, no, expect some level of acceptance to my statements. However, time and again, you have refused to accept what I tell you. You are welcome to ask staff yourself about anything I tell you for verification.

Closing a thread because it's violating the Code of Conduct IS enforcement. Issuing a ban to somebody for breaking the rules IS enforcing those rules. Issuing a warning to somebody for breaking those rules IS enforcement. I'm not going to accept statements that are patently false. It doesn't matter what position you hold or who gave it to you.

I'm not sure why you're arguing with me over this. It's not subjective.

I am not arguing with you. You are disputing what the moderation team has expressed to you in this thread. I will be candid with you. Our purpose is specifically not to be rule enforcers, but positive elements who uplift the mentalities of the GS community to something more positive than before. When we close a thread because it violates the code of conduct, the idea is to consider it to not be propagating our ideology. The important point I am emphasizing with you is that this is a practice of an idea that anyone can come to a site and share ideas with others while having the security to do it in a civilized setting which is a secondary function of our team.

As I said previously, if you hold anything I say here in doubt, you are welcome to contact the Community Managers.

But you're rule enforcers none-the-less.

I don't need to contact anybody. I've already proven you wrong. And your appeal to authority is kind of sad. Stand on what YOU as a user have written.

Please understand. I expressed something other than that we were not at all; We are not primarily so.

That last part is strange of you to have said. My knowledge as a moderator is founded by my own experiences on GameSpot and beyond while also being complemented by more experienced moderators and staff. To isolate a member of a team when the entire group is what is important seems to be of an ulterior motive other than one which is focused on improving the site unless, of course, you can prove otherwise.

I agree, it's not primarily your job.

It's not strange. You keep wanting to drag other people into this when this is a discussion between me and you over what you said. There is no ulterior motive. I'll argue with anybody if I think they're in the wrong. As for how this improves the site. Well, humbler moderators couldn't hurt.

#94 Edited by tonitorsi (8481 posts) -

Everything just catastrophically crashed when user content was scrapped, in my opinion. Then the re-design came like a category 5 cyclone and eradicated everything (of what was left) that members liked. Activity astonishingly collapsed and members left the site in droves. Mostly to Gaf.

Now, I never condoned the blatant changes that took place with the TOU...since I was a firm believer that things should have been kept "simple", or at least in the level of Neogaf (whose strict but successful Tou invokes rational discussions). But just the way everything was handled...unbanning accounts, opening the doors to trolls, etc...was very poor. After the Tou change, GS welcomed the trolls and fanboys with open arms and degenerated the quality of the forums to the point of no return. To make matters worst, nothing was done to supervise this. Random Mod promotions, which I think was an unnatural action to take, also didn't and hasn't improved the situation in the slightest.

I honestly have no idea what sparked such immense changes in the span of 2 years.

#95 Posted by BranKetra (48757 posts) -

@airshocker said:

@BranKetra said:

@airshocker said:

@BranKetra said:

@airshocker said:

@BranKetra said:

@airshocker: Edited post

Do not take it the wrong way. My initial comments can sometimes be too forward.

Also, I am telling you what staff told me when I became a moderator. No offense, but considering they are the authority on GameSpot and I am a representative of this site, one might believe, no, expect some level of acceptance to my statements. However, time and again, you have refused to accept what I tell you. You are welcome to ask staff yourself about anything I tell you for verification.

Closing a thread because it's violating the Code of Conduct IS enforcement. Issuing a ban to somebody for breaking the rules IS enforcing those rules. Issuing a warning to somebody for breaking those rules IS enforcement. I'm not going to accept statements that are patently false. It doesn't matter what position you hold or who gave it to you.

I'm not sure why you're arguing with me over this. It's not subjective.

I am not arguing with you. You are disputing what the moderation team has expressed to you in this thread. I will be candid with you. Our purpose is specifically not to be rule enforcers, but positive elements who uplift the mentalities of the GS community to something more positive than before. When we close a thread because it violates the code of conduct, the idea is to consider it to not be propagating our ideology. The important point I am emphasizing with you is that this is a practice of an idea that anyone can come to a site and share ideas with others while having the security to do it in a civilized setting which is a secondary function of our team.

As I said previously, if you hold anything I say here in doubt, you are welcome to contact the Community Managers.

But you're rule enforcers none-the-less.

I don't need to contact anybody. I've already proven you wrong. And your appeal to authority is kind of sad. Stand on what YOU as a user have written.

Please understand. I expressed something other than that we were not at all; We are not primarily so.

That last part is strange of you to have said. My knowledge as a moderator is founded by my own experiences on GameSpot and beyond while also being complemented by more experienced moderators and staff. To isolate a member of a team when the entire group is what is important seems to be of an ulterior motive other than one which is focused on improving the site unless, of course, you can prove otherwise.

I agree, it's not primarily your job.

It's not strange. You keep wanting to drag other people into this when this is a discussion between me and you over what you said. There is no ulterior motive. I'll argue with anybody if I think they're in the wrong. As for how this improves the site. Well, humbler moderators couldn't hurt.

I am glad we have established a mutual understanding at least about one thing.

It truly is because I am letting you know that I speak for the moderation team and you seem to be telling me I do not.

#96 Posted by super600 (30718 posts) -

@jimy1475 said:

wait, what was wrong with the old forums and the main site that it had to be scraped?

It was getting really old and really buggy. It was getting harder to create new content on that site design,

#97 Posted by TacticaI (883 posts) -

There are too many post to agree with in this thread, this is going to come off as over-dramatic, but GameSpot has lost its soul. I'm sorry, but at the moment, I'm not finding a way to better phrase it. Everything that brought this community together is gone, and I agree the current staff has some responsibility to take as being nowhere near engaging as the previous team.

#98 Posted by N30F3N1X (8002 posts) -

@BranKetra said:

As far as the forums go, there are some parts you did not include.

A few years ago, a vocal minority group who represented banned users on GameSpot coerced forum users about the former Terms of Use and debated with site moderators as well as staff. Eventually, their arguments became relevant enough to prompt a vote that affected all of GameSpot via Terms of Use, yet most of the participants usually were on Off-Topic if any part of this site. The voting results were in favor of a more relaxed ToU, banned user accounts were reinstated, and things degenerated. Finally, when former GS reviewer Carolyn Petit made a review for Grand Theft Auto V, many users insulted the gender and sexuality status of that individual. Also, they sent that Carolyn Petit death threats and called for a dismissal from GameSpot. The GameSpot staff recognized the damage that decision had caused, though perhaps in a way which was not holistic and the Code of Conduct and Terms of Use were made stricter. While not nearly as strict as before, the Code of Conduct is far stricter than previously so.

All that said, we have plans to make GameSpot a great place again. Check this thread to give your input and maybe you will be part of the reason this site is great again. We know GS has better times. A unified voice requesting improvements could do wonders. Consider Twitter campaigns such as the #NoDRMPS4 one.

The rigid ToU was garbage and so were the mods enforcing it. You could get modded for saying someone's opinion was ridiculous for christ sake.

Carolyn Petit got a lot of flak over the GTA5 review she posted because on top of being a sh!t review, she whined about stuff that was to be intended as comical. From her review

"Or perhaps you dive right into the game’s story problems, or its serious issues with women. GTA V is a complicated and fascinating game, one that fumbles here and there and has an unnecessary strain of misogynistic nastiness running through it."
"GTA V has little room for women except to portray them as strippers, prostitutes, long-suffering wives, humorless girlfriends and goofy, new-age feminists we’re meant to laugh at."

^That's not what anyone in their right mind would see in a GTA game. That was, for many people, an obvious tell that she was deliberately looking for it. Coming from her, that was yet another push in her agenda that wanted to portrait how bad men in the gaming world are for portraiting women in a different manner than what she wanted (an agenda she pushed in almost every article she wrote - off the top of my head I remember articles on Mass Effect 3 and Street Fighter in particular). Ironically, she falls into the very same category of women her narrow vision of the world brought her to see in the game - "a goofy, new-age feminist we're meant to laugh at".

#99 Edited by BranKetra (48757 posts) -

@N30F3N1X: Seeing as forum activity was much higher during the time you referred to negatively, you will forgive me for not agreeing with you unconditionally.

I am uncertain if it is your intention, but you seem to be making excuses for the behavior Carolyn Petit was the target of which, if in actuality is your intention, would be outrageous.

#100 Posted by Ballroompirate (23031 posts) -

The main issue was when GS decided to do this crap redesign which made the site worse looking, even more glitchier and scrapped Unions, game nights, character battles, series battles ect ect.

Gamespot gave the community the middle finger, we didn't cause the downfall it was all 100% the staff/admins.