How Does OT Feels About These 8 "Moral" Issues?

#1 Edited by Master_Live (14417 posts) -

These Charts Show How The World Feels About 8 Moral Issues

The charts below from the Pew Research Center's Global Attitudes Project show people's views on eight topics, often considered moral issues: extramarital affairs, gambling, homosexuality, abortion, premarital sex, alcohol consumption, divorce, and contraceptives. Pew surveyed 40,117 respondents in 40 different countries in 2013 to obtain the data.

Now lets look at the US:

Lets compare that to some US allies and countries were some OT members come from:

#2 Posted by Master_Live (14417 posts) -

Well, it looks like the world as a whole sucks, or at least the median of these 40 countries.

So, OT how do you feel about these 8 topics and whether they are morally unacceptable, morally acceptable or not a moral issue. I will go first:

• Extramarital Affairs: Unacceptable
  • Abortion: Acceptable [reluctantly]
  • Gambling: Not a moral issue.
  • Alcohol use: Not a moral issue.
  • Homosexuality: Not a moral issue.
  • Premarital sex: Not a moral issue.
  • Divorce: Not a moral issue.
  • Contraception use: Not a moral issue.
#3 Posted by deeliman (2422 posts) -

First one unacceptable, the rest acceptable

#4 Posted by Shmiity (5100 posts) -

extramarital affairs? Unacceptable.

gambling? Acceptable, but I don't partake.

homosexuality? Acceptable. No reason for anyone to be against this. It doesn't effect your life.

abortion? Acceptable. We solved this in the 70's, just let it go.

premarital sex? Acceptable.

alcohol consumption? Acceptable, But I don't partake.

divorce? Acceptable

Contraceptives? Acceptable.

#5 Edited by Korvus (3532 posts) -

I'm with you on this =)

• Extramarital Affairs: Unacceptable (as long as we're not talking about open relationships here, if both parts are ok with it, who am I to say otherwise?)
  • Abortion: Acceptable

Yeah, gambling and alcohol use, when turned into vices can ruin everything, but gambling and drinking are not in or of themselves a moral issue.

#6 Edited by Daforsaken1 (71 posts) -

• Gambling: Unacceptable
  • Alcohol use: Unacceptable
  • Homosexuality: Unacceptable
  • Premarital sex: Unacceptable
  • Divorce: Acceptable
  • Contraception use: Acceptable

And please, if someone wants to quote me or start an argument, PM me. This post limit is pissing me off.
#7 Posted by Iszdope (9869 posts) -

All good bar that first one.

It's a doozie.

#8 Posted by dave123321 (33981 posts) -

Extramarital Affairs: this seems pretty unacceptable. Which brings me to the issue of a person getting involved with a person in a committed relationship while they the selves are single. That person is pretty shitty. Obvs the person in the relationship is fully responsible for their actions but that doesn't change the shitiness of the single persons actions. Which I guess most would agree with, but many seem to want to absolved themselves of the shittiness of their actions by shifting the bad guys role in the situation to the cheater.

Abortion: Very much acceptable

Gambling: In moderation. For fun. Becomes an issue when it puts financial situations in danger. I couldn't be someone who have gambling establishments due to those who have issues with gambling.

Alcohol use: in moderation, in moderation

Homosexuality: Like my thoughts of heterosexuality.

Premarital sex: This is perfectly fine and should be encouraged

Divorce: This is perfectly fine. It's the end result of maybe some marriage issues that I should expand upon

Contraception use: A godsend

#9 Posted by dave123321 (33981 posts) -

I'm going to say the affair thing is a moral thing.

My beliefs about abortion leads me to say not a moral issue.

The last four are not issues of morals.

3 and 4 I'm going to treat on a spectrum. Inherently not a moral issue but the spectrum can be.

Fin

#10 Posted by toast_burner (21498 posts) -

All of these are personal issues.

#11 Edited by GreySeal9 (24189 posts) -

@Master_Live said:

Well, it looks like the world as a whole sucks, or at least the median of these 40 countries.

So, OT how do you feel about these 8 topics and whether they are morally unacceptable, morally acceptable or not a moral issue. I will go first:

Affairs: unacceptable.

Abortion: acceptable.

Gambling: acceptable in moderation.

Alcohol use: acceptable in moderation.

Homosexuality: not a moral issue but the social conservative stance on the issue is immoral IMO.

Premarital sex: not a moral issue.

Divorce: not a moral issue.

Contraception use: not a moral issue.

#12 Posted by alim298 (1320 posts) -

• Gambling: Unacceptable
  • Alcohol use: Unacceptable
  • Homosexuality: Unacceptable
  • Premarital sex: Unacceptable
  • Divorce: Acceptable
  • Contraception use: Acceptable

#13 Posted by dave123321 (33981 posts) -

Grey gets it

#14 Posted by Serraph105 (27940 posts) -

Extramarital Affairs: Unacceptable

Abortion: Acceptable, but I would like to stress having a number of social programs in place so that this can either be prevented or have alternatives should an unwanted pregnancy occur.

Gambling: Acceptable in moderation. Seriously go have fun, but don't bankrupt yourself in the process.

Alcohol use: Once again this is acceptable in moderation. If you can't keep it to moderation please seek help.

Homosexuality: An acceptable non-moral issue. Go be happy with the person you fall in love with.

Premarital sex: Not a moral issue, but please practice safe sex.

Divorce: Acceptable, but as long as the marriage is not an abusive one please seek some marriage counselling advice beforehand. It's not my call though.

Contraception use: Acceptable.......hell you could damn near mandate it for teenagers/young adults and I would be mostly happy despite feeling a little disturbed.

#15 Edited by chessmaster1989 (29189 posts) -

Extramarital Affairs: unacceptable
Abortion: uncertain. i do have personal qualms about it
Gambling: acceptable in moderation. if you're endangering your own finances it's just stupid, but if you're endangering your family (or others) it's highly immoral
Alcohol use: acceptable in moderation, same largely as gambling
Homosexuality: acceptable
Premarital sex: acceptable
Divorce: acceptable, but (excepting abuse etc) people shouldn't rush to divorce before trying other options (counseling etc)
Contraception use: acceptable

#16 Posted by foxhound_fox (88053 posts) -

Some of those I wouldn't even consider a "moral issue".

Affairs: Are we talking open relationships or cheating here?

Abortion: The current best solution to the problem of unwanted children. Adoption puts incredible financial stress on a state.

Gambling: A waste of money if you can't count cards.

Alcohol: A personal choice for any adult.

Homosexuality: This is one of those things I would not consider in the realm of "morality". It is natural.

Premarital sex: Another non-issue. Marriage changes finances and custody law, nothing else.

Divorce: Another non-issue. Anyone should be legally entitled to leave a binding contract if they feel threatened or unfulfilled.

Contraception: A laughable non-issue. People should be entitled to protect themselves from STI's, and women have the right to control their ovulation.

#17 Posted by Sword-Demon (6970 posts) -

Affairs are unacceptable

I personally find abortion unacceptable, but seeing as how the moment that a fetus becomes human is basically a pure opinion, I don't think of others who see it differently as immoral.

The rest aren't moral issues

#18 Posted by lamprey263 (23506 posts) -

funny how premarital sex is so despised as is gay sex but having non-reproductive marital sex with contraceptives must be totally fine with lots of people

#19 Posted by toast_burner (21498 posts) -

funny how premarital sex is so despised as is gay sex but having non-reproductive marital sex with contraceptives must be totally fine with lots of people

Those people are idiots, don't expect them to make sense.

#20 Posted by Shottayouth13- (6788 posts) -

@deeliman said:

First one unacceptable, the rest acceptable

#21 Edited by bforrester420 (1452 posts) -
  • Extramarital Affairs: Understandable for a species that is not biologically wired to be monogamous
  • Abortion: None of my business. I don't have a uterus...
  • Gambling: None of my business
  • Alcohol use: None of my business
  • Homosexuality: None of my business
  • Premarital sex: None of my business
  • Divorce: None of my business
  • Contraception use: None of my business
#22 Posted by thebest31406 (3360 posts) -

Can't help to be intrigued by how socially backward the US is in comparison to other western countries. You have to wonder what makes the US so "western"

#23 Posted by The_Last_Ride (71220 posts) -

everything besides the cheating stuff is acceptable.

#24 Posted by Aljosa23 (24843 posts) -

• Extramarital Affairs: Understandable for a species that is not biologically wired to be monogamous
  • Abortion: None of my business. I don't have a uterus...
  • Gambling: None of my business
  • Alcohol use: None of my business
  • Homosexuality: None of my business
  • Premarital sex: None of my business
  • Divorce: None of my business
  • Contraception use: None of my business

#25 Edited by TheFlush (5536 posts) -

All are acceptable to me as long as:

• The extramarital affairs are ok by the partner
  • Gambling doesn't cause harm to others
  • Alcohol use doesn't cause harm to others
#26 Posted by SOedipus (6811 posts) -

They are all reasonably acceptable.

#27 Edited by bforrester420 (1452 posts) -

My moral code is to basically do whatever you want, so long as you aren't victimizing others in the process. If you harm your family with gambling or alcoholism, then it's a problem.

#28 Posted by playmynutz (5982 posts) -

It's quite depressing how people with their morales dictate our lives. A person can get hammered drunk everyday cheat on their wife do hard drugs a week before being drug tested but smoke a joint is way out line if they are on probation or whatnot.

#29 Posted by hippiesanta (9838 posts) -

extra affair .... Unacceptable

kill babies ..... Unacceptable

gambling .... go ahead

Beer n wine ... why not

weird sex .... part of entertaintment ... why not ... you go girls

highschool sex .... as long you are not dumb

divorce ..... only if your spouse is a monster

using condoms ..... as long it does not rupture

#30 Posted by gamerguru100 (10574 posts) -

Extramarital Affairs: According to Psychology Today, almost 85% of cultures are polygamous, so I'd say it's not really a moral issue. It's more of a cultural thing.

Abortion: Acceptable. The state has no business in telling women what they can and can't do with their bodies. If a woman gets raped and is impregnated, she has a full right to get an abortion.

Gambling: Acceptable. I wouldn't recommend it though. It's not my business what people do with their money, but if you want to potentially piss it all away and screw your life up, go ahead. Not my problem.

Alcohol use: Acceptable. Although it does cause a lot of problems when people don't use good judgement. Outlawing it will just create a black market, so that would be pointless.

Homosexuality: Not a moral issue. Time for conservatives to accept that not all humans are born heterosexual. It has been observed in other animals as well. And if there is a God who is all loving, then logic points that he'd love all people regardless of sexual orientation.

Premarital sex: Acceptable. Not everyone wants to get married, and marriage in the US is on the decline. Sex is as natural as breathing. Marriage was invented, and shouldn't be used to determine whether or not people can have sex.

Divorce: Acceptable. Obviously forcing two people to stay together who don't want to be with each other anymore is not a good idea.

Contraception use: Acceptable. As I said before, sex is as natural as breathing, and not everyone wants to get married and have kids. Contraception is excellent for satisfying natural urges without getting a pregnancy.

#31 Edited by gamerguru100 (10574 posts) -

@thebest31406 said:

Can't help to be intrigued by how socially backward the US is in comparison to other western countries. You have to wonder what makes the US so "western"

Well, Western culture originated in Europe and Christianity is its primary religion. European colonists founded what became the United States, and people of European descent and/or Christian backgrounds are the predominant groups (for now) in the US. Democracy originated in the West, as well. Although the US today resembles an oligarchy or plutocracy more than a democracy, unfortunately. I feel that will be a potential cause for societal breakdown and maybe a collapse of some sort.

The social backwardness you mentioned is probably very visible in the US because it has nearly 320,000,000 people, many of whom are conservative. The US is more religious than much of Europe too, and since social conservatism and religion pretty much go hand in hand, you can't be surprised when you see that we lag behind Britain and Canada in terms of social issues.

#32 Posted by whipassmt (14024 posts) -

I'm kind of surprised that more people found gambling unacceptable than abortion.

Decent point. It's also kind of weird how so many people seem to support same-sex marriage but oppose polygamy even though the arguments they use to support same-sex marriage (none of other people's business, doesn't hurt anyone, etc) lend themselves well to polygamy.

#33 Posted by toast_burner (21498 posts) -

I'm kind of surprised that more people found gambling unacceptable than abortion.

@lamprey263 said:

Decent point. It's also kind of weird how so many people seem to support same-sex marriage but oppose polygamy even though the arguments they use to support same-sex marriage (none of other people's business, doesn't hurt anyone, etc) lend themselves well to polygamy.

Are you saying that in support of polygamy or against homosexuality?

The difference is that there is not a single valid concern about homosexuality. Polygamy does have a few problems, some people believe the pro's outweigh the cons while others disagree.

#34 Posted by whipassmt (14024 posts) -

How broad of a definition does want to give for "gambling". Does buying lotto tickets count? What about investing in stocks or bonds? How about opening a business?

#35 Posted by LJS9502_basic (150710 posts) -

Extramarital Affairs : Unacceptable.

Abortion: Unacceptable

Gambling: Only an issue if you are starving your children to feed a habit.

Alcohol: Acceptable unless driving or not caring for children due to abuse.

Homosexuality: Personal business....should stay that way.

Premarital sex: See above.

Divorce: See above.

Contraception: Useful.