How does one become a mod on here?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by jasean79 (2365 posts) -

Not that I'm interested in doing so myself, but I was curious how they choose who is to be moderators? Is there some underground elite meeting like in "The Skulls" to select new mods?

What's the criteria for becoming one?

In other forums I've been on, the administrator (or creator of the forum) was responsible for assigning that role. I'd imagine it's probably the same here, but who is the "man behind the curtain"?

#2 Edited by dave123321 (33829 posts) -

I ask myself that all the time. Master live, what do I need to do to be up for modship?

#3 Posted by GazaAli (22550 posts) -

I've seen some pretty shitty members becoming mods. I've seen some mod choices lately that made me question my faith.

#4 Posted by dave123321 (33829 posts) -

Master live's modship gave me hope

#5 Posted by indzman (17325 posts) -

@GazaAli said:

I've seen some pretty shitty members becoming mods. I've seen some mod choices lately that made me question my faith.

examples please ?

#6 Posted by GazaAli (22550 posts) -

@indzman said:

@GazaAli said:

examples please ?

I'd rather not; I'd hate to add yet another member to my stalkers, specially after the newest addition of Ariabed.

#7 Posted by indzman (17325 posts) -

@GazaAli said:

@indzman said:

@GazaAli said:

examples please ?

I'd rather not; I'd hate to add yet another member to my stalkers, specially after the newest addition of Ariabed.

The new user Ariabed stalks you ? ROFL !

#8 Posted by dave123321 (33829 posts) -

I'm naming master live

#9 Posted by GazaAli (22550 posts) -

@indzman said:

@GazaAli said:

@indzman said:

@GazaAli said:

examples please ?

Yea he's been quoting me in multiple topics that I posted in talking about how my father has a 9 years old lined up for me to marry. Mention documentaries and he will snap. True story I tried it myself.

#10 Posted by jasean79 (2365 posts) -

@GazaAli said:

@indzman said:

@GazaAli said:

@indzman said:

@GazaAli said:

examples please ?

Yea he's been quoting me in multiple topics that I posted in talking about how my father has a 9 years old lined up for me to marry. Mention documentaries and he will snap. True story I tried it myself.

This is hilarious! :D

#11 Edited by indzman (17325 posts) -

@GazaAli said:

@indzman said:

@GazaAli said:

@indzman said:

@GazaAli said:

examples please ?

HaHa yeah, He snaps often on slight pretext with many users. =P

#12 Posted by Assassin_87 (2311 posts) -

Evidently new moderators are selected by paid staff members (admins) via some sort of draft that occurs periodically. Don't really know or understand what the selection criteria could possibly be though.

#13 Posted by SaintLeonidas (26071 posts) -

Sore knees. *winky face*

#14 Posted by jasean79 (2365 posts) -

@Assassin_87:

Likeability by the admins?

I don't see how they could possibly weed out the good from bad on a forum with hundreds of members with no real understanding of the person behind the computer, other than their post history.

#15 Posted by Assassin_87 (2311 posts) -

@jasean79: Hey, who knows? That's probably right on some level. I've been here for a decade and maybe been moderated twice/three times at most, and I typically report spam/inappropriate posts as I come across them.

Not that I'd want to be a moderator. I don't have the time on my hands. It does make me curious though.

#16 Posted by jasean79 (2365 posts) -

@Assassin_87:

It'll be interesting to see if any mods respond to this thread.

#17 Posted by Korvus (3389 posts) -

Evidently new moderators are selected by paid staff members (admins) via some sort of draft that occurs periodically. Don't really know or understand what the selection criteria could possibly be though.

Pretty much this. Moderators are asked to keep an eye on potential candidates and bring them to admins; then the admins will keep an eye on the candidates to see how active they are, how focused on helping others they are, how well they follow GS's rules, etc etc, so begging mods to put your name forward doesn't work, in case anyone was wondering...be a helpful member and you'll probably be approached eventually.

#18 Posted by Assassin_87 (2311 posts) -

@jasean79: I also think it's likely that posting frequency is taken into account. Maybe that does some people in as far as any hopes of getting a spot.

#19 Edited by jasean79 (2365 posts) -

@korvus said:

@Assassin_87 said:

Pretty much this. Moderators are asked to keep an eye on potential candidates and bring them to admins; then the admins will keep an eye on the candidates to see how active they are, how focused on helping others they are, how well they follow GS's rules, etc etc, so begging mods to put your name forward doesn't work, in case anyone was wondering...be a helpful member and you'll probably be approached eventually.

Have you ever been approached? I think you'd fit the role well.

#20 Posted by Korvus (3389 posts) -

@jasean79: That's nice of you to say =) I've been there and back again, actually. Being on that side was making me feel more and more like I didn't want to be on this side anymore, so when I had to choose between being a user or a moderator I chose user =)