how do you prevent soda from going flat in the fridge?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by slipknot0129 (5506 posts) -

When I put a 2 liter of soda pop in the fridge it always goes flat if its opened. Is there anyway to keep it in the fridge without going flat? I dont like ice as much in my soda pop.

#2 Posted by Matthew_Kaeser (13493 posts) -

That's the main reason I don't buy 2-liters. Unless you are going to drink it all in one day, it's a waste.

#3 Posted by ITzCobra (748 posts) -

When I put a 2 liter of soda pop in the fridge it always goes flat if its opened. Is there anyway to keep it in the fridge without going flat? I dont like ice as much in my soda pop.

slipknot0129
make sure the tops screwed on tight :P it makes mine better
#4 Posted by Frattracide (5395 posts) -

Squeeze the air out of the top of the soda before you close the cap. It reduces the amount of space in the bottle that the carbon dioxide can expand into, keeping more in the liquid.

#5 Posted by ITzCobra (748 posts) -

Squeeze the air out of the top of the soda before you close the cap. It reduces the amount of space in the bottle that the carbon dioxide can expand into, keeping more in the liquid.

Frattracide
didint think of that brain box lol
#6 Posted by hkmp5a2 (1315 posts) -
I loved flat soda when I used to drink soda. I would shake the bottle and open it slightly to let the pressure out. continued step over until soda was flat
#7 Posted by SapSacPrime (8923 posts) -

I also need to know the answer to this question, even worse still is the fact that coe zero and pespi max seem to go flat even faster :cry:. I am also strongly against the use of ice cubes unless its July/August (even then it needs to have been in the fridge).

#8 Posted by CBR600-RR (9690 posts) -

I don't have this problem, water ftw. :P

#9 Posted by McJugga (9452 posts) -
Throw some yeast in there.
#10 Posted by Frattracide (5395 posts) -

Now that I think about it, You could also pressurize the bottle to prevent the gas from expanding into the empty space. But you would need a one way pneumatic valve.

#12 Posted by slipknot0129 (5506 posts) -

Now that I think about it, You could also pressurize the bottle to prevent the gas from expanding into the empty space. But you would need a one way pneumatic valve.

Frattracide

Couldnt I just squeeze the bottle its the liquids at the top?There wouldnt be any air in there then or I could put plastic cubes in there till it fills to the top.

#13 Posted by OreoMilkshake (12825 posts) -
Don't expose it to the air.
#14 Posted by Strider_91 (6570 posts) -

That's the main reason I don't buy 2-liters. Unless you are going to drink it all in one day, it's a waste.

Matthew_Kaeser
Yeah pretty good way of avoiding it.. But it never gets flat enough for me to leave it.. Takes ages..
#15 Posted by TyrantDragon55 (6851 posts) -

Drink it before it goes flat.

#16 Posted by dbz345 (17980 posts) -
It's a sad fact of life... once you open a bottle or a can of soda, you start a timer that can only be lengthened. The best thing you can practically do is to make sure the cap is twisted on tight, and that you keep the soda as cold as possible. Cold temperatures slow down the rate that the Carbon Dioxide escapes into the air. Other than that, your only solution is to buy individual bottles or drink it all at once. :P
#17 Posted by JustPlainLucas (74755 posts) -
I used to think that putting a bottle on its side would help, but I think that only made it worse, since it provided the liquid with more surface area for the CO2 to escape from.
#18 Posted by StopThePresses (2767 posts) -
Don't open it. :P
#19 Posted by Frattracide (5395 posts) -

[QUOTE="Frattracide"]

slipknot0129

Couldnt I just squeeze the bottle its the liquids at the top?There wouldnt be any air in there then or I could put plastic cubes in there till it fills to the top.

You could do that. Or you could store the bottles uncapped in an environment that is already saturated with CO2 gas so no more could dissolve into the air. Or you could buy coke syrup kegs and combine those with water and CO2 at the exact moment you pour your beverage leaving the rest stored for future use. Or you could transfer the remainder of your beverage into increasingly smaller but sturdier containers with tight seals.

#20 Posted by nelson415 (1807 posts) -

I squeeze it on tight, works for me all the time.

#21 Posted by hiphopballer (4059 posts) -
Throw some yeast in there.McJugga
lol always looking forward to hear wat McJugga gots to say
#22 Posted by bobbetybob (19296 posts) -
Don't put things on top of it and then it won't go flat...................terrible joke. Hmm, the best way is to just try to keep the fizz down as much as possible, when you open it make sure it doesn't explode in your face. I always shake the bottle when I've put the lid back on, I don't think it does anything, i just like how the plastic expands with the pressure.
#23 Posted by CoolSkAGuy (9665 posts) -
blow into the bottle and then close the cap real fast and tight.
#24 Posted by MetroidPrimePwn (12399 posts) -

Only open and close it in a room filled completely with CO2?

#25 Posted by Xeros606 (11126 posts) -
Buy smaller bottles.
#26 Posted by kamikaze_pigmy (8362 posts) -

Only open and close it in a room filled completely with CO2?

MetroidPrimePwn
Whilst simultaneously trying not to die.
#27 Posted by fmacraze (5658 posts) -

I squeeze it on tight, works for me all the time.

nelson415
yea that works for a while
#28 Posted by gamerguru100 (10907 posts) -

Matthew_Kaeser
Yeah, that's why it's no problem for me. :P I could drink two 2-liters in a day probably. :o
#29 Posted by mirriorman (1946 posts) -

shake it then open it really fast

#30 Posted by Grodus5 (7934 posts) -

Let it go flat on the counter top? I don't know.

#31 Posted by vidplayer8 (18544 posts) -

Keep the lid on tight. There are things you can buy I guess.

#32 Posted by ghoklebutter (19327 posts) -
Put the bottle in a tight headlock and quickly screw the cap back on. I like flat soda, though. :P
#33 Posted by AndYOU (6712 posts) -
Drink it
#34 Posted by XilePrincess (13130 posts) -
You can buy re-carbonating stuff, but that's sort of a waste of money. I just keep the lid on tight and never shake it.
#35 Posted by weezyfb (14703 posts) -
you need to close the lid
#36 Posted by optiow (28284 posts) -
I just drink it all at once, because I hate things going flat.
#37 Posted by XanderKage (8956 posts) -

Screw the bottle cap on really tight? Seems obvious. Or maybeI just go through a bottle before it has time to go flat...