How do you get good at writing? D:

This topic is locked from further discussion.

MrLions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1 MrLions
Member since 2007 • 9833 Posts

-____- Im taking a writing class to improve the way I write in essays for school and like you know. :P

But I still can't see to get a hang on things! :cry:

We have to do an essay on the catacher in the rye(ive read this book millions of times) and it's very difficult to write an essay for me!

I got a 3(70%,C-) on the essay I wrote and I kinda don't like C's in a writing workshop class -____-(I can re do it for a better grade and thats what im doing)

I love to read but *** damn do I hate to write essays.

GIVE ME A CALCULUS PROBLEM DON'T GIVE ME AN ESSAY!!! :cry:

I'll be entering college next summer and I'm kinda sick and tired of the C's and F's(we have no D's 69% is failing) I get on highschool essays. So help! :P

So any tips on how to write better? :cry:

warownslife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 warownslife
Member since 2010 • 5289 Posts

I write in the worse cursive in the world. I can't help you. Maybe you should get off gamespot and write the same thing over and over.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e97585ea928c
deactivated-5e97585ea928c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 deactivated-5e97585ea928c
Member since 2006 • 8521 Posts

You don't. You give up and pick up something else, preferably something obscure so there isn't much competition.

Xx_Hopeless_xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Xx_Hopeless_xX
Member since 2009 • 16562 Posts

I guess just practice...

harashawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 harashawn
Member since 2008 • 27620 Posts
By writing.
MrLions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 MrLions

I guess just practice...

Xx_Hopeless_xX
Practice but iv'e been practicing through my 3 years of highschool and still get **** grades! :cry:
DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#7 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
Read lots. Study papers other people have done. But it's not an instant thing - and it comes much more naturally to some people. I've always loved essay questions and exams because it's almost always possible to bull**bleep** yourself into a right answer even if you don't completely know it.
MrLions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 MrLions
[QUOTE="DJ_Lae"]Read lots. Study papers other people have done. But it's not an instant thing - and it comes much more naturally to some people. I've always loved essay questions and exams because it's almost always possible to bull**bleep** yourself into a right answer even if you don't completely know it.

Where would I find essays? If I google I have to become a member of some weird **** and pay like $$$ to view the essay online.
DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#9 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
[QUOTE="DJ_Lae"]Read lots. Study papers other people have done. But it's not an instant thing - and it comes much more naturally to some people. I've always loved essay questions and exams because it's almost always possible to bull**bleep** yourself into a right answer even if you don't completely know it.MrLions
Where would I find essays? If I google I have to become a member of some weird **** and pay like $$$ to view the essay online.

Yeah, that can be an annoyance. Is there an online library you can access through your school? I know all universities offer something like it but I don't know about high school.
MrLions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 MrLions
[QUOTE="MrLions"][QUOTE="DJ_Lae"]Read lots. Study papers other people have done. But it's not an instant thing - and it comes much more naturally to some people. I've always loved essay questions and exams because it's almost always possible to bull**bleep** yourself into a right answer even if you don't completely know it.DJ_Lae

Yeah, that can be an annoyance. Is there an online library you can access through your school? I know all universities offer something like it but I don't know about high school.

hmm probably not would I be able to search for essays through a public library?
Xx_Hopeless_xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Xx_Hopeless_xX
Member since 2009 • 16562 Posts
[QUOTE="Xx_Hopeless_xX"]

I guess just practice...

MrLions
Practice but iv'e been practicing through my 3 years of highschool and still get **** grades! :cry:

Meh..not sure then..i love writing..but i wasn't always good at it...maybe the difference is i started liking it..there are essay writing books that may help..
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 Teenaged
Member since 2007 • 31764 Posts

Read lots. Study papers other people have done. But it's not an instant thing - and it comes much more naturally to some people. I've always loved essay questions and exams because it's almost always possible to bull**bleep** yourself into a right answer even if you don't completely know it.DJ_Lae
Very true. :P

CRS98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#13 CRS98
Member since 2004 • 9036 Posts
Creative thinking, and knowledge of words.
BadNewsBen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 BadNewsBen
Member since 2009 • 1493 Posts

I started writing about two years ago, not seriously, but just for fun. The best way to learn is mocking styles of writing you enjoy or can respect. Read a few essays, novels, and short stories to get the car started. After that, I would try and increase your vocabulary by using a thesaurus whenever you come across mundane words (For example, instead of using the word simple use the word lucid). Hope this helps.

Nerd_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Nerd_Man
Member since 2007 • 13819 Posts
Personally I don't really care for my writing, but numerous times I've been told I'm an excellent writer by both friends and teachers alike.
willx10121013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 willx10121013
Member since 2004 • 300 Posts

ask the teacher directly on what parts of your writing need improvement....this would be the quickest answer you'd get

unless of course your teacher doesn't give a rats ass about you, then you are probably screwed no matter what

Oh, and thesauruses AND dictionaries (so your not using the wrong word(s)...) are your best tools available

entropyecho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 entropyecho
Member since 2005 • 22053 Posts

You get good at writing the same way you get to Lincoln Center... practice, practice, practice. :P

VendettaRed07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18 VendettaRed07
Member since 2007 • 14012 Posts

ill go out with you if you get better. Hows that for motivation?.. :p

SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

#19 SolidSnake35
Member since 2005 • 58971 Posts
What subjects are you writing for?
funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
are we talking essays? then it's fairly simple intro - body1 - body2 - body3(if necessary) - conclusion intro should start with an attraction that seems like it has nothing to do with the topic but in the end it does, and start narrowing down to your topic until you hit the thesis statement. The most important thing in writing (a short) essay is that every single sentence has to be related with your thesis statement in some way. The worst mistake you can ever have in an essay is going off-topic. bodies start with topic sentence (or if you wanna make it more attracting, start with an attraction that naturally leads into your topic sentence). TS is pretty much the mini thesis statement, and everything you write in that body has to have something to do with the topic sentence (which will mean it has to relate to thesis in the end). I usually write Topic sentence - point 1- evidence for point 1 and discussion - point 2 - evidence for point 2 and discussion - discuss their significance together (connection between two points) - analyze their contribution to thesis - concluding sentence. conclusion is self-explanatory, it's the opposite structure of intro. as for narratives, you need to read a lot, practice a lot, and you kinda have to have natural talent to some degree.
raven_squad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#21 raven_squad
Member since 2007 • 78438 Posts

Reading generally helps. And yes, I am a fairly competent writer. I do write short stories in my free time though, and I'm almost always in the process of reading a book.

verbalfilth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 verbalfilth
Member since 2006 • 5043 Posts

1. Look for a recurring theme that occurs throughout the story or at least a unique idea you derive from it...or something you'd like to explore about the story.

2. Start thinking about a thesis statement. (Your thesis has to be shaky, which means it can be opposed as well as proposed)

3. Pick out references from the story that support your thesis

4. Think of, or find, arguments against your thesis and find ways to dispel them.

5. Begin your essay

Your essay should look like this:

1. Introduction: This should be your first paragraph. This is very important as it serves as the main tool that draws in your reader. If possible, try to baldly draw on worldly experiences that are somewhat related to your thesis. I.E. Start at a global scope and narrow down the paragraph towards your thesis.

2. Thesis: Your thesis should normally occur in the introductory paragraph or, at the very least, occur early in the second paragraph. Your thesis should be bold, clear and consice...but most importantly unique and interesting. As I stated earlier, it has to be argumentative. By argumentative, I mean that your thesis should NEVER be a fact. It should be an ARGUMENT of something you've noticed (themes, motifs, structure etc...all of which affect the relay of the information you receive from the text you're writing about).

3. Body: This is where you start supporting your thesis. The function of the body is to convince your reader that your thesis is right. You have to support your thesis through and through without digressing. The thesis is the steering wheel and the body is the car...you're basically using your thesis to control where you head in the paper.....NEVER STRAY FROM YOUR THESIS...

• Make sure that each paragraph in the body starts its own argument and concludes the argument. The next paragraph should be a new idea/or proof that supports your thesis.
  • Use literal terms throughout your paper as necessary/appropriate. (examples of literal terms:juxtaposition, didactics, catharsis, soliloquy etc) Google for a full list if you don't know any.

4. Conclusion: The conclusion is the simplest part of the paper. All you have to do is creatively summarize everything you've argued throughout the paper and lay it out in one clear paragraph. Make sure that the paper comes full circle back to the thesis at the end.

5. Title: Read through your paperat least twice and clean out any spelling errors, grammatical mistakes, omitted words and so on. Then, think of a suitable and creative title that will work well for your paper. Make sure its creative and try to avoid an obvious title. For example, if you're writing about stress, don't title your paper "Stress"...try something more unique.

NOTE: These pointers barely scratch the surface of what makes a good essay but they are the basic foundation to a good paper. I'll find it hard to believe you'll get anything less than a B if you follow this direction. If you do end up getting less than a B, then your teacher hates you... in which case you need to schedule an appointment and ask him/her on what you need to do to improve.

Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Theokhoth
Member since 2008 • 36799 Posts
By reading. Seriously. Instead of watching TV or playing games, read for fun. When you read a lot, it WILL improve your writing. Do you think I learned the grammar and punctuation skills I'm using in this very post from school? My schools sucked! But I've been a reader for my whole life and it just comes natural, admittedly with the occasional slip-up. But reading a lot is the single best way to improve your writing.
harashawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 harashawn
Member since 2008 • 27620 Posts

are we talking essays? then it's fairly simple intro - body1 - body2 - body3(if necessary) - conclusion intro should start with an attraction that seems like it has nothing to do with the topic but in the end it does, and start narrowing down to your topic until you hit the thesis statement. The most important thing in writing (a short) essay is that every single sentence has to be related with your thesis statement in some way. The worst mistake you can ever have in an essay is going off-topic. bodies start with topic sentence (or if you wanna make it more attracting, start with an attraction that naturally leads into your topic sentence). TS is pretty much the mini thesis statement, and everything you write in that body has to have something to do with the topic sentence (which will mean it has to relate to thesis in the end). I usually write Topic sentence - point 1- evidence for point 1 and discussion - point 2 - evidence for point 2 and discussion - discuss their significance together (connection between two points) - analyze their contribution to thesis - concluding sentence. conclusion is self-explanatory, it's the opposite structure of intro. as for narratives, you need to read a lot, practice a lot, and you kinda have to have natural talent to some degree.funsohng
An essay can have as many paragraphs as the author feels necessary, and there is no set formula for writing one. Only in high school do you have to follow a silly guideline like that.

Perd1t1on

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Perd1t1on
Member since 2009 • 1031 Posts
I like to read science books. They teach you more than science. They teach you how to spell words overtime and how to formulate emotionless explanations to what you're trying to explain. I guess reading helps, but it depends on what you read. I don't read fiction, and I can't imagine being good at writing a story much less a novel.
Code-Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Code-Llama
Member since 2009 • 747 Posts

My teachers always told me I could write really good Portuguese. But English? Bah, my english, especially written, is terrible so no advice from me.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#27 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts
You need to find your 'Lion' voice - in other words, you should find something you enjoy writing about and do it regularly. Even if its just for an hour a week. You might not be aware of this but I write a weekly blog every week here on Gamespot.com! You should check out my profile. It really gave me confidence in my writing and it improved things for me too!
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#28 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts
My English sucks, just rip off the format of another paper. But don't copy its content obviously.
DanDaRuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29 DanDaRuff
Member since 2010 • 120 Posts

I consider myself a great writer-- but I have to work on my "neatness"

I prefer typing. :P

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts

[QUOTE="funsohng"]are we talking essays? then it's fairly simple intro - body1 - body2 - body3(if necessary) - conclusion intro should start with an attraction that seems like it has nothing to do with the topic but in the end it does, and start narrowing down to your topic until you hit the thesis statement. The most important thing in writing (a short) essay is that every single sentence has to be related with your thesis statement in some way. The worst mistake you can ever have in an essay is going off-topic. bodies start with topic sentence (or if you wanna make it more attracting, start with an attraction that naturally leads into your topic sentence). TS is pretty much the mini thesis statement, and everything you write in that body has to have something to do with the topic sentence (which will mean it has to relate to thesis in the end). I usually write Topic sentence - point 1- evidence for point 1 and discussion - point 2 - evidence for point 2 and discussion - discuss their significance together (connection between two points) - analyze their contribution to thesis - concluding sentence. conclusion is self-explanatory, it's the opposite structure of intro. as for narratives, you need to read a lot, practice a lot, and you kinda have to have natural talent to some degree.harashawn

An essay can have as many paragraphs as the author feels necessary, and there is no set formula for writing one. Only in high school do you have to follow a silly guideline like that.

If it's an essay in a test, writing a lot of short paragraphs are not necessarily effective compared to writing only couple of deep paragraphs That's why I said "if writing 'a short' essay". If you are writing a term paper or something, you obviously don't follow that, that would be stupid.
MrLions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 MrLions
What subjects are you writing for?SolidSnake35
Write now its an English class But I really actually need help with my writing in general.
Suzy_Q_Kazoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Suzy_Q_Kazoo
Member since 2010 • 9899 Posts

I actually do consider myself to be very strong in writing. If you want to learn to write, then write! It just takes practice. Reading can also help tremendously, whatever type of material it may be. I think writing tends to come as more of a natural affinity though...I suggest that you read some essays online as well. There's some that're free of charge, you just have to look in the right places :P

SgtKevali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 SgtKevali
Member since 2009 • 5763 Posts

Mmm, it's sort of like art. You're either good at it or you aren't.

Perd1t1on

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Perd1t1on
Member since 2009 • 1031 Posts
[QUOTE="SolidSnake35"]What subjects are you writing for?MrLions
Write now its an English class But I really actually need help with my writing in general.

ok, if this is for a non college english class (and even for college to some degree): you're going to want to follow the dumb pattern the teacher provided to a T, because they are not looking for how much you know about a subject, but how well you can follow instructions.
scorch-62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 scorch-62
Member since 2006 • 29763 Posts
[QUOTE="Theokhoth"]By reading. Seriously. Instead of watching TV or playing games, read for fun. When you read a lot, it WILL improve your writing. Do you think I learned the grammar and punctuation skills I'm using in this very post from school? My schools sucked! But I've been a reader for my whole life and it just comes natural, admittedly with the occasional slip-up. But reading a lot is the single best way to improve your writing.

This man speaks truth.
MystikFollower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 MystikFollower
Member since 2009 • 4061 Posts

As many others have reiterated many times probably, reading LOTS and LOTS of books is a good way to improve your writing. Read and just write. Practice, practice, practice!

IxIRuckusIxI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 IxIRuckusIxI
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
Expository writing, essay exam writing, follows a different guideline. Expository writers, the good ones at least, do not write to simply answer the prompt, but write to show how the prompt affects the writer while simultaneously answering the question. High School Exit Exam is the prime example. Thousands of students write the essay answering the prompt; instead, make the prompt your own. If the prompt is regarding if it is morally right to burn/download music. What many students do is choose a side and argue restating the same examples/ideas over and over again earning the writer an average grade. If a writer develops the prompt into answers how positive illegal downloading has had on the writer, the writer earns a higher grade (even if the grammar/punctuation sucks). I know this because I grade essays for high schools/ colleges. Essay writing requires something similar, but essay writing differs in that it requires strictly guided prompt. The art of writing requires years of work and dedication. Reading alone does not translate into better writing. A person can be a good reader but a terrible writer. Both reading and writing help develop a writer's skill, but the mastery of both develops legendary writers.
Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#38 Cherokee_Jack
Member since 2008 • 32198 Posts

Read a lot of good writing and develop a wide vocabulary. That's all there is to it.

I read a lot as a kid and I get As on all my essays now.

I have to admit that any sort of narrative writing I do sucks, but that will probably always be the case.

Aspen706

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Aspen706
Member since 2010 • 4560 Posts
Probably better than most.
Diablo-B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Diablo-B
Member since 2009 • 4063 Posts
To be a better writer you have to read. Lots of reading. You'll pick up a mix of your favorite writers styles then develop your own.
Gonzafan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#41 Gonzafan
Member since 2008 • 1490 Posts

I practiced and found interest at writing, and eventually I got good at it.

T_REX305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 T_REX305
Member since 2010 • 11304 Posts

depends on what im writing about.

yentlequible

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 yentlequible
Member since 2009 • 2620 Posts
I can read for days straight, but my writing is pretty much average. If I put time into it, it can usually turn out pretty well though...
juden41

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 juden41
Member since 2010 • 4447 Posts
[QUOTE="MrLions"][QUOTE="Xx_Hopeless_xX"]

I guess just practice...

Ask your teacher personally what you can do to improve.
CHOASXIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 CHOASXIII
Member since 2009 • 14716 Posts

I can't write anything :(

MrLions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 MrLions
[QUOTE="Theokhoth"]By reading. /QUOTE] I do read sir....I read a lot I just got done reading Enders Game,Catcher in the Rye(for the 3rd time), Eragon,Eldest, World War Z, and my SAT book -_____-
ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 ghoklebutter
Member since 2007 • 19327 Posts
Read.
F1_2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 F1_2004
Member since 2003 • 8009 Posts
Read of course. Surprised this hasn't been suggested in every post in this thread.
MrLions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 MrLions
Read of course. Surprised this hasn't been suggested in every post in this thread.F1_2004
Probably cause i mention I read a lot :|......