How do you feel about the big Star Wars announcement?

• 90 results
#51 Posted by bowchicka07 (1073 posts) -

I think they are stabbing themselves in the foot. The EU could have been the foundation for more books, a TV show full length or animated, or some movies.

#52 Edited by LittleMac19 (1638 posts) -

Don't really care, just want Battlefront 3 or a new KOTOR by anyone not named Bioware.

#53 Posted by uninspiredcup (7539 posts) -

Sort of sucks. I enjoy games like World Of Warcraft in which much of the lore and stories comes from third party sources. If they scrapped it all due to some other publisher taking over i''d be pissed.

#54 Posted by indzman (16847 posts) -

Don't really care, just want Battlefront 3 or a new KOTOR by anyone not named Bioware.

A new KOTOR ( Single player included this time not just a mmorpg from last release ) by BIO might actually be good =P

#55 Edited by CrimsonBrute (23131 posts) -

@foxhound_fox: I agree with most of your post. The entire EU (books, games, comics, etc) needs to be considered when writing Ep. 7, 8, and 9. The more I read news stories like this, the more I lose confidence that the movie will be any good.

#56 Posted by foxhound_fox (87332 posts) -

@indzman said:

@LittleMac19 said:

A new KOTOR ( Single player included this time not just a mmorpg from last release ) by BIO might actually be good =P

If Old Republic is any indication, then no.

#57 Edited by KHAndAnime (13279 posts) -

@crimsonbrute said:

@foxhound_fox: I agree with most of your post. The entire EU (books, games, comics, etc) needs to be considered when writing Ep. 7, 8, and 9. The more I read news stories like this, the more I lose confidence that the movie will be any good.

Star Wars was never about the lore or background. You really expect a couple of people to read, watch, and study 1000's hours of content just to satisfy a very small portion of Star Wars fans? Star Wars is primarily a movie franchise, and it doesn't make the least amount of sense for the writers to tip-toe around endless content that Star Wars isn't really known for. All that effort should instead be focused towards the movie's storylines and improving upon those, rather than degrading everything to maintain continuity for the very few people who care.

#58 Edited by airshocker (28732 posts) -

Never read much of the EU. But since this news, I have been intrigued to read some graphic novels of the EU.

Check out the list of EU books I put up some where in this thread. You won't be disappointed.

#59 Edited by foxhound_fox (87332 posts) -

@crimsonbrute said:

Star Wars was never about the lore or background. You really expect a couple of people to read, watch, and study 1000's hours of content just to satisfy a very small portion of Star Wars fans? Star Wars is primarily a movie franchise, and it doesn't make the least amount of sense for the writers to tip-toe around endless content that Star Wars isn't really known for. All that effort should instead be focused towards the movie's storylines and improving upon those, rather than degrading everything to maintain continuity for the very few people who care.

Small portion.

Some of these novels have been in print for over two decades.

#60 Edited by turtlethetaffer (16609 posts) -

Can't say I'm surprised at this, as there is A LOT of stuff to keep up with in the EU.

Although I'm wondering how that bodes now for the EU... There's a lot of really cool shit in it.

#61 Posted by LittleMac19 (1638 posts) -

@indzman said:

@LittleMac19 said:

If this was Bioware in 2007 or earlier I would probably agree but today? Nah, hell, I enjoyed KOTOR 2(PC) more then both KOTOR 1 & TOR and that wasn't even made by Bioware.

#62 Edited by ferrari2001 (16736 posts) -

The problem is that the expanded universe has become so big, so complex that it would be crazy to try to tie everything to it.

Exactly. Who knows if the EU is even consistent with one another. It would be a logistical nightmare to go through the entire EU and declare what is consistent with canon and what isn't. It's best just to consider none of it canon. Besides, George Lucas himself said he never read any EU content and while he was glad people made it, he never considered it canon. He did however go through some EU stuff before he created new characters to make sure he didn't steal any names, but that's about it.

#63 Posted by airshocker (28732 posts) -

@FelipeInside said:

The problem is that the expanded universe has become so big, so complex that it would be crazy to try to tie everything to it.

Exactly. Who knows if the EU is even consistent with one another. It would be a logistical nightmare to go through the entire EU and declare what is consistent with canon and what isn't. It's best just to consider none of it canon. Besides, George Lucas himself said he never read any EU content and while he was glad people made it, he never considered it canon. He did however go through some EU stuff before he created new characters to make sure he didn't steal any names, but that's about it.

I think it's safe to say no one really cares what Lucas has to say on the matter. If he did indeed never read any of the EU books then peoples hatred of him is justified.

#64 Posted by ferrari2001 (16736 posts) -

@ferrari2001 said:

@FelipeInside said:

I think it's safe to say no one really cares what Lucas has to say on the matter. If he did indeed never read any of the EU books then peoples hatred of him is justified.

Lucas created Star Wars, it was his universe to mold, thus his and his companies decision to declare what is canon and what isn't. You just can't steal someones idea, write your own story about that idea and then declare it canon. It doesn't work that way.

#65 Posted by airshocker (28732 posts) -

@airshocker said:

@ferrari2001 said:

@FelipeInside said:

Lucas created Star Wars, it was his universe to mold, thus his and his companies decision to declare what is canon and what isn't. You just can't steal someones idea, write your own story about that idea and then declare it canon. It doesn't work that way.

Doesn't matter if he created it or not. He's an idiot, plain and simple. Not sure what you're going on about now. Also, stories printed in the EU never stole the Star Wars IP. Lucas' company always had the last say with the publisher.

#66 Posted by ferrari2001 (16736 posts) -

@ferrari2001 said:

@airshocker said:

@ferrari2001 said:

@FelipeInside said:

Doesn't matter if he created it or not. He's an idiot, plain and simple. Not sure what you're going on about now. Also, stories printed in the EU never stole the Star Wars IP. Lucas' company always had the last say with the publisher.

If he's an idiot then why do you care. He created Star Wars if you think the creator of Star Wars is an idiot then why would you like Star Wars anyways. If someone writes a story based in the star wars universe then they are stealing the characters, locations, and universe of the original creator. They may be allowed by Lucas Arts to use that information but the fact is they are not creating a completely original production therefore the people with whom they are borrowing information from have the last say on whether or not it is canon. And they said it isn't canon. Simple as that. Not to mention the EU is so inconsistent that is would make absolutely no sense to make it canon.

#67 Posted by -Sun_Tzu- (17379 posts) -

I have no problem with the use of artistic license. If anything this is good news, gives the writing/production team more freedom in creating a workable movie trilogy.

#68 Posted by airshocker (28732 posts) -

@airshocker said:

@ferrari2001 said:

@airshocker said:

@ferrari2001 said:

@FelipeInside said:

If he's an idiot then why do you care. He created Star Wars if you think the creator of Star Wars is an idiot then why would you like Star Wars anyways. If someone writes a story based in the star wars universe then they are stealing the characters, locations, and universe of the original creator. They may be allowed by Lucas Arts to use that information but the fact is they are not creating a completely original production therefore the people with whom they are borrowing information from have the last say on whether or not it is canon. And they said it isn't canon. Simple as that. Not to mention the EU is so inconsistent that is would make absolutely no sense to make it canon.

Because in my opinion Star Wars was made great by the authors in the EU, and the video game writers, not the man who made the movies.

Still not sure what you're going on about as that had nothing to do with what I said.

#69 Edited by ferrari2001 (16736 posts) -

@ferrari2001 said:

Because in my opinion Star Wars was made great by the authors in the EU, and the video game writers, not the man who made the movies.

Still not sure what you're going on about as that had nothing to do with what I said.

Then simply enjoy the EU for what it is. Just because it isn't canon doesn't make the stories you enjoy any less interesting. It's just like any other fantasy novel. If they declared all these things canon then bringing out new movies would be almost impossible. It's for the best that none of the EU material is canon. Doesn't make it any worse but fan fiction is all that it is.

#70 Posted by airshocker (28732 posts) -

@airshocker said:
@ferrari2001 said:

Then simply enjoy the EU for what it is. Just because it isn't canon doesn't make the stories you enjoy any less interesting. It's just like any other fantasy novel. If they declared all these things canon then bringing out new movies would be almost impossible. It's for the best that none of the EU material is canon. Doesn't make it any worse but fan fiction is all that it is.

No, it's really not. There are stories within the EU that far out-class some of the movies. I think it's a huge disservice to some of these authors, as well.

#71 Posted by ferrari2001 (16736 posts) -

@ferrari2001 said:

@airshocker said:
@ferrari2001 said:

No, it's really not. There are stories within the EU that far out-class some of the movies. I think it's a huge disservice to some of these authors, as well.

It's not a disservice to the authors because their work is still there to be enjoyed. It's absurd to think that anytime someone creates a fan fiction of any established universe it should automatically be considered canon. That is essential what these authors did. Were some of their stories better, sure. But it doesn't change the fact that just because you did create a story, it doesn't automatically become canon. Pretty much every fictional universe ever made has fan fiction attached to it, and none of those works are considered canon, unless of course the original creator declares it to be so. Canon is anything that falls within the creators vision of a fictional universe. Fact is, these works don't fall within this vision so it isn't canon. This is why George Lucas and his company is important. It's their vision that dictates canon not the vision of the fans. Canon has to fall within their original and continued vision. This still however doesn't mean these works can't be enjoyed. Continue to enjoy them and appreciate them for what they are and hopefully you can also appreciate the continued canon content of the Star Wars universe.

#72 Edited by airshocker (28732 posts) -

@airshocker said:

@ferrari2001 said:

@airshocker said:
@ferrari2001 said:

It's not a disservice to the authors because their work is still there to be enjoyed. It's absurd to think that anytime someone creates a fan fiction of any established universe it should automatically be considered canon. That is essential what these authors did. Were some of their stories better, sure. But it doesn't change the fact that just because you did create a story, it doesn't automatically become canon. Pretty much every fictional universe ever made has fan fiction attached to it, and none of those works are considered canon, unless of course the original creator declares it to be so. Canon is anything that falls within the creators vision of a fictional universe. Fact is, these works don't fall within this vision so it isn't canon. This is why George Lucas and his company is important. It's their vision that dictates canon not the vision of the fans. Canon has to fall within their original and continued vision. This still however doesn't mean these works can't be enjoyed. Continue to enjoy them and appreciate them for what they are and hopefully you can also appreciate the continued canon content of the Star Wars universe.

I never said it should automatically be considered canon but there are stories that definitely deserve to be canon above the others and above some of the movies.

We'll have to disagree. I believe Lucas is a hack that has ruined the Star Wars universe. With his insanity in regards to destroying potentially great video game franchises(Star Wars 1313 and the Darth Maul game) and then his questionable additions of characters in the movies that brought the entire franchise down a peg. Lucas is a blight and I thank god he's just a consultant.

#73 Edited by robokill (1064 posts) -

who cares, star wars is dead my friends. We got 3 good movies and some fun videogames but that's it, it will be bastardized and milked. There is 0% chance that the new movies will be good, they'll all get 60-75% on RT but suck as hard as the Anchorman sequel. Disney will not release a gripping and suspenseful sci-fi narrative, they will release colorful product marketing aimed directly at small children, someone's mother will die, there'll be a princess, a prince, a bad witch, some troll people and an annoying as f%ck sidekick made of snowballs or some nonsense. Just when you think all hope is lost a perfectly apt product placement will show up and save the day, and then they'll throw in some cameos from Luke, Leia and Han and pretend it's a star wars movie.

#74 Edited by ferrari2001 (16736 posts) -

@robokill said:

who cares, star wars is dead my friends. We got 3 good movies and some fun videogames but that's it, it will be bastardized and milked. There is 0% chance that the new movies will be good, they'll all get 60-75% on RT but suck as hard as the Anchorman sequel. Disney will not release a gripping and suspenseful sci-fi narrative, they will release colorful product marketing aimed directly at small children.

lol what? Lucas Arts, not Disney is making the new star wars movies. All Marvel films are not marketed towards small children and Marvel is owned by Disney. These new movies are Star Wars, the way Star Wars should have been. George Lucas serving only as a consultant and not Director, Producer, and Writer. The new movies suffered because George Lucas was allowed to do to much. By removing him from most of the production work these movies should be considerably better then what we've seen.

#75 Edited by robokill (1064 posts) -

EA doesn't make games for Dice or Bioware either, look how that worked out

#76 Edited by ferrari2001 (16736 posts) -

@robokill said:

EA gets all into their producers games demanding terrible deadlines and DRM crazy software. Disney on the other hand has an excellent track record of allowing their asset companies to create and operate how they wish. Marvel, Pixar, ABC, ESPN, A&E etc, are all owned by Disney and they pretty much operate independently of Disney. I see no reason why Lucas Arts would be treated any differently.

#77 Posted by airshocker (28732 posts) -

@robokill said:

JJ Abrams is a very solid director. We'll see the Star Wars movies take a more mature tone. Just look at the newest Star Trek movies. They were fairly dark and perfect for the Trekkie experience.

The TV shows will still remain children's entertainment, unfortunately.

#78 Posted by FelipeInside (25166 posts) -

Lucas is an idiot? I'm sure the stories and universe you created have made you millions of dollars too and are much better and bigger than Star Wars right?

#79 Edited by airshocker (28732 posts) -

@airshocker said:

Lucas is an idiot? I'm sure the stories and universe you created have made you millions of dollars too and are much better and bigger than Star Wars right?

Lucas is most definitely an idiot. One only has to look at how he handled the direction of the prequels and how he ran the franchise into the ground after them: Video games with great stories were never released because of Lucas. These horrible experiences by former LucasArts employees and other video game developers is WIDELY reported on. I suggest you check them out to see how badly Lucas screwed with them.

Star Wars is only successful DESPITE Lucas. Not because of. It's the reason he's only a consultant and not directing, producing or writing the new movies.

#80 Edited by airshocker (28732 posts) -

@airshocker said:

Lucas is most definitely an idiot. One only has to look at how he handled the direction of the prequels and how he ran the franchise into the ground after them: Video games with great stories and potentially great settings were never released because of Lucas. These horrible experiences by former LucasArts employees and other video game developers is WIDELY reported on. I suggest you check them out to see how badly Lucas screwed with them and to better understand my disliking of the man.

Star Wars is only successful DESPITE Lucas. Not because of. It's the reason he's only a consultant and not directing, producing or writing the new movies.

#81 Posted by ferrari2001 (16736 posts) -

@FelipeInside said:

@airshocker said:

I'm definitely going to have to disagree with you there. A vast majority of Star Wars fans have only seen the movies. They like star wars because of the films. Not because of the books, and games. Some do go on to read the books and play the video games but a vast majority do not. The fact that the movies have a combined worldwide box office total of over $4.4 billion leads to the fact that tons of people like the movies. I will agree Lucas no longer at the helm can only be good for Star Wars, but 4 billion dollars is hardly unsuccessful.

#82 Edited by KHAndAnime (13279 posts) -

@foxhound_fox said:

@KHAndAnime said:

@crimsonbrute said:

Small portion.

Some of these novels have been in print for over two decades.

Yea...and are you aware how popular the Star Wars movies are?

I'll give you hint...1,000x more popular than those novels. Only the biggest Star Wars nerds have read them, I'm sorry but that's the truth. 1/1,000 fans of the Star Wars movies, if even that, have read a single Star Wars novel. We are talking literally the biggest movie franchise of all time here, bro. Nobody really cares about the books, they're not popular by comparison.

#83 Posted by airshocker (28732 posts) -

@airshocker said:
@FelipeInside said:

@airshocker said:

I'm definitely going to have to disagree with you there. A vast majority of Star Wars fans have only seen the movies. They like star wars because of the films. Not because of the books, and games. Some do go on to read the books and play the video games but a vast majority do not. The fact that the movies have a combined worldwide box office total of over $4.4 billion leads to the fact that tons of people like the movies. I will agree Lucas no longer at the helm can only be good for Star Wars, but 4 billion dollars is hardly unsuccessful.

The first three movies were certainly a great success because of Lucas. The prequels, however, were abysmal. Especially the first one and parts of the second and third. They were successful because Star Wars is a huge brand name. Not because of Lucas.

#84 Posted by ferrari2001 (16736 posts) -

@ferrari2001 said:

@airshocker said:
@FelipeInside said:

@airshocker said:

The first three movies were certainly a great success because of Lucas. The prequels, however, were abysmal. Especially the first one and parts of the second and third. They were successful because Star Wars is a huge brand name. Not because of Lucas.

The 3rd film was fantastic. The battle over Coruscant and the scourging of the Jedi are my favorite scenes in Star Wars. Right up their with Vader's reveal as Luke's father and Luke's arm getting sliced off. In fact #3 is my 2nd favorite Star Wars film (Empire Strikes back being my favorite). I will agree the writing in the 1st and 2nd were not good, which is why they are my least favorite films but they definitely had their redeeming moments. (Clones appearance, Darth Maul light saber battle etc). They are decent enough films and without them there would be no EU.

#85 Edited by FelipeInside (25166 posts) -

@ferrari2001 said:

@airshocker said:
@FelipeInside said:

@airshocker said:

I agree, but he did create 3 great films for it's time and also a massive Universe with great characters, locations and stories where everyone just expanded on. You can't take that away from him.

I don't like either how SW has become too much kid friendly though.

#86 Edited by -ParaNormaN- (709 posts) -

There are 3 canons as far as I'm aware of. The Lucas canon which is the "True" canon and they are the movies. Ep.1-6, no matter what. The 2nd degree canon is the EU, so in this case the EU is not the official canon but it is an alternative and "Extension" of the Lucas canon. Because the EU is so big, the EU is its own separate canon which include the movies into it. The 3rd degree canon is the non relevant stuff and.

So, Ep.7 will in fact continue the Lucas canon and will take no part in the EU unless authors from the EU start to write books trying to make it fit. IMO, its going to be fine. The EU will continue to grow from fans and authors who enjoy that part of Star Wars, but the movies will not take any part of it. Lucas barely included anything from the EU because he didn't consider them canon. He always said that the movies were the true canons and that the books/video games were not.

Just enjoy it for what it is airshocker, fans will always know where the stories between the official and EU separate and you can choose to follow both or to follow one by itself. I'm following both so its no issue for me.

#87 Edited by airshocker (28732 posts) -

@airshocker said:

@ferrari2001 said:

@airshocker said:
@FelipeInside said:

@airshocker said:

The 3rd film was fantastic. The battle over Coruscant and the scourging of the Jedi are my favorite scenes in Star Wars. Right up their with Vader's reveal as Luke's father and Luke's arm getting sliced off. In fact #3 is my 2nd favorite Star Wars film (Empire Strikes back being my favorite). I will agree the writing in the 1st and 2nd were not good, which is why they are my least favorite films but they definitely had their redeeming moments. (Clones appearance, Darth Maul light saber battle etc). They are decent enough films and without them there would be no EU.

Part of the EU. But the EU that I really like takes place after RoTJ.

#88 Posted by HoolaHoopMan (7720 posts) -

I'm fine with it. There is absolutely WAY too much Stars Wars stuff out there and trying to keep the universe consistent in the next couple of movies would have required too much effort. Plus like many have pointed out, most of it was written like bad fan fiction.

#89 Edited by foxhound_fox (87332 posts) -

@KHAndAnime said:

I'll give you hint...1,000x more popular than those novels. Only the biggest Star Wars nerds have read them, I'm sorry but that's the truth. 1/1,000 fans of the Star Wars movies, if even that, have read a single Star Wars novel. We are talking literally the biggest movie franchise of all time here, bro. Nobody really cares about the books, they're not popular by comparison.

Got a link to back up those numbers you pulled from your ass?

No novel that sells poorly is kept in print for over two decades. And why do they have to say "fuck you" to all the EU fans? Why not include them as well? There are aspects of the EU that aren't great, but there are some that are... and they have the power to retcon anything they want (and plenty of things in the EU have been retconned at certain points).

It's super fucking lazy... and with the probably billions of dollars they are going to make from these movies, they can pay a few people to keep the continuity accurate.

#90 Edited by -ParaNormaN- (709 posts) -

@KHAndAnime said:

No novel that sells poorly is kept in print for over two decades. And why do they have to say "fuck you" to all the EU fans? Why not include them as well? There are aspects of the EU that aren't great, but there are some that are... and they have the power to retcon anything they want (and plenty of things in the EU have been retconned at certain points).

It's super fucking lazy... and with the probably billions of dollars they are going to make from these movies, they can pay a few people to keep the continuity accurate.

The only "Fuck You" to the fans would be if Disney put the EU at a screeching halt and no longer allowed for it to grow, which I haven't seen Disney do. Star Wars is at a slow pace right now because they want the hype for Ep. VII to build up. Fans are feeling this way for no reason.

#91 Edited by ferrari2001 (16736 posts) -

@foxhound_fox said:

@KHAndAnime said:

The only "Fuck You" to the fans would be if Disney put the EU at a screeching halt and no longer allowed for it to grow, which I haven't seen Disney do. Star Wars is at a slow pace right now because they want the hype for Ep. VII to build up. Fans are feeling this way for no reason.

Exactly, it's not like Disney has told people who write and develop the EU to stop. They are still allowed to write new novels, comics etc. The EU is still there and it will still continue to be there. Nothing has changed but for some reason people are pissed off. The EU was never canon and it still isn't canon. What's the big deal?

#92 Posted by dave123321 (33579 posts) -

The more stable people are not mad over this

#93 Posted by dave123321 (33579 posts) -

Let me clarify, the more stable people are not mad at the decision makers in a way that make the decision makers out to be uncaring souls who say fuck the writers, fuck the fans, fuck the efforts