danyopizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By danyopizzle
Member since 2005 • 341 Posts

Just curious to see if theres anyone I can relate too. Im gonna give it one word: mentally-exhausting

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By Renevent42
Member since 2010 • 6654 Posts

Once when I was young, dumb, and fresh out of the military with no real world experience I went out job hunting as I was also a new father and needed a job badly. Anyways I replied to an ad looking for a "sales associate" that also had a nice base pay of $12/hr and offered bonus pay as well. Sounded too good to be true! Well, it was. During the interview process at no point was anything even remotely mentioned about being a call center or whatever...so I accepted and on my first day I walked into work and behind the main doors was just row after row of phones and people crammed in making calls.

I said 'F' that and walked out.

Funny thing is the manager who was walking me in didn't even seem that surprised lol...my response must have been fairly common.

MuD3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 MuD3
Member since 2011 • 2192 Posts

I worked at one for a short time. I would describe it as... hell.

AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 AutoPilotOn
Member since 2010 • 8655 Posts

I'd never do it. I think of it as equal to selling your soul.

Avatar image for empiresdownfall
EmpiresDownfall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5 EmpiresDownfall
Member since 2013 • 63 Posts

Ive worked at 2.

My first one was at a Health Insurance center and it was horrible. I stuck with it through training and then said screw it, and walked out halfway through the shift, lol.

The second wasnt so bad, actually. I never talked to the customer, all I did was provide real time captions correctly and thats it. Anytime I wasnt on a call, I was reading. It wasnt too bad, but the pay was shit and it was only part time so I got a different job in a few months time.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18791 Posts

@Renevent42 said:

Once when I was young, dumb, and fresh out of the military with no real world experience I went out job hunting as I was also a new father and needed a job badly. Anyways I replied to an ad looking for a "sales associate" that also had a nice base pay of $12/hr and offered bonus pay as well. Sounded too good to be true! Well, it was. During the interview process at no point was anything even remotely mentioned about being a call center or whatever...so I accepted and on my first day I walked into work and behind the main doors was just row after row of phones and people crammed in making calls.

Funny thing is the manager who was walking me in didn't even seem that surprised lol...my response must have been fairly common.

And you were in the military? As someone with cold calling experience, only the strong one seem to survive. Which is odd cause i always thought people who are not shy or simply like being on the phone will excel in cold-calling.

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Renevent42
@PSP107 said:

@Renevent42 said:

And you were in the military? As someone with cold calling experience, only the strong one seem to survive. Which is odd cause i always thought people who are not shy or simply like being on the phone will excel in cold-calling.

It's not a matter of being strong, it's a matter of not wanting to put up with (what I perceive to be) a soul crushing shit job and instead try my luck elsewhere for something I would enjoy doing.

Anyways based on the circus of people in that call center (and the clowns I speak to whenever I call into customer support type places), there's nothing strong or admirable about the people that work these shit jobs lol.

danyopizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 danyopizzle

@Renevent42: that's insane, you a military person even know its bad! it is and you were smart, im stuck at one with it being hard to find a new job these days i have to wrok this dreadful job where the minutes feel like hours

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Renevent42
@danyopizzle said:

@Renevent42: that's insane, you a military person even know its bad! it is and you were smart, im stuck at one with it being hard to find a new job these days i have to wrok this dreadful job where the minutes feel like hours

I know it seems daunting but let me give you some advice...figure out what you would be happy doing and put in the extra effort to make that happen.

Not going to lie and say I found some awesome job after walking out; in fact I actually delivered pizza's for a local Italian restaurant after that. I had to work as I already mentioned I had a family depending on me. Delivering pizzas obviously isn't glamorous but certainly better then working in a call center IMO.

With that said during this time I ended going back to school (while working). From there I got an internship (money was tight) but it was in the field I wanted to work in. The rest is history...I now make well over six figures and love my job. Instead of being a clock watcher hating everyday I enjoy going to work and also of course have financial freedom.

I'm not saying go out and quit your job or anything...just don't settle on misery and work a bit extra to make your life better :)

plageus900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 plageus900
Member since 2013 • 3065 Posts

@Renevent42 said:

What did you do in the service? Just curious.

I_Return

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 I_Return
Member since 2014 • 873 Posts

I think only masochists should do that job.

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Renevent42
@plageus900 said:

@Renevent42 said:

What did you do in the service? Just curious.

14S, or basically drove around one of these:

I went into the recruiter asking about computer type jobs but they said they were fresh out...so I said "how about something where I can blow shit up and jump out of planes and stuff like that"...a smile crept across the recruiters face and he responded "oh, I think we can do that for you" lol.

plageus900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 plageus900

@Renevent42:

Oh okay. Thank you for your service. Yeah I can see how that would be hard to translate into a real world job. I lucked out I guess.

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Renevent42
@plageus900 said:

@Renevent42:

Oh okay. Thank you for your service. Yeah I can see how that would be hard to translate into a real world job. I lucked out I guess.

Yeah for sure...other than being former military looking good on a resume, driving around a humvee with a ground-to-air missle system slapped on it doesn't really translate well into anything in the civilian world heh.

plageus900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By plageus900

@Renevent42:

Yeah. I didn't think my job would translate well, but I did a skills translator when I got out and while the job itself doesn't transfer over, the skills I gained from my job were worth something I guess. I assume you've found greener pastures?

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Renevent42
@plageus900 said:

@Renevent42:

Yeah. I didn't think my job would translate well, but I did a skills translator when I got out and while the job itself doesn't transfer over, the skills I gained from my job were worth something I guess. I assume you've found greener pastures?

I ended up going back to school (while working a pizza delivery job) and have been a .Net developer/SQL Database Administrator for the past 12 years or so. I actually started out as primarily a .Net developer but fell into a DBA position early on, which basically stuck as at the time job openings and salaries were much better in the DBA world. Actually glad it happened too as I am making much more money as a DBA.

What did you end up doing?

solidruss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 solidruss
Member since 2002 • 24082 Posts

I used to work Customer Service in a Call Center. NEVER AGAIN. It was beyond Hell, even Satan would pass it up.

plageus900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By plageus900

@Renevent42 said:
@plageus900 said:

@Renevent42:

I ended up going back to school (while working a pizza delivery job) and have been a .Net developer/SQL Database Administrator for the past 12 years or so. I actually started out as primarily a .Net developer but fell into a DBA position early on, which basically stuck as at the time job openings and salaries were much better in the DBA world. Actually glad it happened too as I am making much more money as a DBA.

What did you end up doing?

I got out and started going back to school. Now I work in the semiconductor industry. My experience in the military canceled out the Bachelors Degree required for the job but I still plan on finishing school.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#19 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9394 Posts

I'm agin' 'em.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

I'd rather starve to death than do such a job.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

it feels like your a rat trapped in a cage answering calls all day.

I hated it especially customer services because every phone call is someone pissed off over something the shitty company I worked for cocked up.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#22 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

I've got respect for them. I couldn't do it.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

I can say for certain there is nothing I hate more than having to talk to someone on the phone when I want to cancel a service. The only consistently good experience I have with people over the phone is when I call my bank.

It's also hilarious that when I call for some kind of technical support I'm always told to go over and do the things I've already told the person I've done.

danyopizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By danyopizzle

@thehig1: I can say the same dang thing, its the product! not my fault! but in the customers eyes its our fault and we have to care! That's the worst of it, than hold there hand in troubleshooting, give me a break, it does suck

its like we don't have feelings, how could we? were the ones taking the call right?

danyopizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 danyopizzle

@Renevent42: I appreciate your insight, thanks for the advice, I was thinking about it, and I may have landed something big I just don't know yet which sucks

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36039 Posts

@danyopizzle:

Yeah actually I worked for 7 months at one helping people out with their computers getting them to work with our software.

If we had been allowed to remote in it would have been great, but 95% of them time it was just us walking the customer through the fix logically. Had some good times, but I don't really wish to go back to it especially since the pay was $3 less an hour than the standard minimum for the type of work we were doing.

JyePhye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27 JyePhye
Member since 2004 • 6173 Posts

What type of call center job?