How do I deal with severe depression/hopelessness?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by the_plan_man (1532 posts) -

I feel absolutely hopeless. Everything I do shatters instantly, and I can't stand the way my mind works and how I am a walking bomb of destruction to everyone around me. It seems like I am never good enough for anyone, always make the most foolish mistakes imaginable (get hated by everyone else for these) and just feel like I am in a dark abyss. What do I do?

#2 Edited by hydralisk86 (8426 posts) -

@the_plan_man: You might need to get professional help, perhaps a psychiatrist, check your options with that psychatrist, talk to him/her about possible medication, etc.

#3 Posted by thegerg (12954 posts) -

Go see a doctor. Seriously. Take medical questions to medical professionals.

#6 Posted by plageus900 (780 posts) -

I would advice maybe buying a gun. Doctors cost too much money in America.

Are you kidding me?

#7 Edited by Master_Live (12284 posts) -

Everything I do shatters instantly, and I can't stand the way my mind works and how I am a walking bomb of destruction to everyone around me.

Like for example?

#8 Edited by Brain_Duster (313 posts) -

I think you know what you have to do.

#9 Edited by the_plan_man (1532 posts) -

@the_plan_man said:

Everything I do shatters instantly, and I can't stand the way my mind works and how I am a walking bomb of destruction to everyone around me.

Like for example?

For example, recently I was in a business club project for college and I went ahead and created a store FB page without telling anyone. My team members found out, and now I'm off the team, as well as the disdain of my fellow team members...as of recent...

#10 Edited by D00DIES (31 posts) -

I dealt with it by avoiding people as much as possible and becoming a hermit. I have come to enjoy this way of life, I find it rather peaceful.

I also went down the psychiatric help route and took medication but I much prefer the living in solitude approach as the meds were kinda shitty.

#11 Edited by Lord_Omikron666 (4707 posts) -

Whiskey

#12 Posted by ChiefvsGordon (1069 posts) -

anything but taking pills, studies show that makes it worse. find someone to talk to, venting your frustration. that's when a psychiatrist might help.

#14 Edited by Netret0120 (1521 posts) -

Get professional help. People on GS will tell you to kill you

#15 Edited by Mercenary848 (9007 posts) -

Life experience, further your depth as a human being. Dont allow yourself to fail, us telling you this wont help but you have to keep striving, learning, and succeeding.

#16 Posted by VanDammFan (4210 posts) -

I feel absolutely hopeless. Everything I do shatters instantly, and I can't stand the way my mind works and how I am a walking bomb of destruction to everyone around me. It seems like I am never good enough for anyone, always make the most foolish mistakes imaginable (get hated by everyone else for these) and just feel like I am in a dark abyss. What do I do?

IM not sure if you are being for real or not? hard to tell online sometimes. BUT i have been dealing with depression,anxiety and feelings of hopelessness for a few years now. Days at a time I cry,dont want to talk,hate living,hate everything about my life. AND at times would love to leave my wife and kids to just be alone. I dont have fun anymore,dont workout,not active,sex drive gone and most days the will to live is gone. Not sure if i'll ever get back to the way I use to be. So if you are for real,I feel bad for you. Cause I know every day gets harder to push forward..

#17 Edited by jrmorgan23 (54 posts) -

I highly recommend the book "Dharma Punx" by Noah Levine. Also, definitely research some professional help, someone who doesn't specialize in prescribing medication. That's the first question you should ask them. If you are in college I'm sure there are resources available to you free or at a minimal cost. Keep in mind the big picture too, college clubs aren't even close to the biggest life dilemma. Sounds like you took initiative which will pay off huge in your professional life.

#18 Posted by Hallenbeck77 (14086 posts) -

It would be for the best to seek some sort of professional assistance. If you have any additional questions about this, please feel free to PM myself or any of the mods so we can help.