How do I check my credit card info

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jrett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 jrett
Member since 2002 • 983 Posts

I've been a member here for years as a paid subscriber. I was under the impression that when my credit card expired, that I would no longer be paying for my subscription. I intended on letting my subscription lapse in this manner.

Today I found another web site that was still charging me for a subscription on an expired credit card. After googling about this, turns out its fairly common to continue charging on expired credit cards.

Now I want to determine if I'm still paying here. Where is the link to get to your on file credit card info?

Yes, I can review my credit card statements. But you would think that this would be easier.

It is very sleazy to charge on expired credit cards. It's extra sleazy to bury a subscribers credit card info so they can't put a stop to it.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3  Edited By Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

@jrett said:

I've been a member here for years as a paid subscriber. I was under the impression that when my credit card expired, that I would no longer be paying for my subscription. I intended on letting my subscription lapse in this manner.

Today I found another web site that was still charging me for a subscription on an expired credit card. After googling about this, turns out its fairly common to continue charging on expired credit cards.

Now I want to determine if I'm still paying here. Where is the link to get to your on file credit card info?

Yes, I can review my credit card statements. But you would think that this would be easier.

It is very sleazy to charge on expired credit cards. It's extra sleazy to bury a subscribers credit card info so they can't put a stop to it.

Gamespot ended its paid subscription services over a year ago. That's why you can't find your credit card information on this site (not "sleazy" business practices).

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/gamespotEys-paid-subscription-service-is-ending-faq/1100-6402038/

-Byshop

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11125 Posts

You can give me your social security number and I'll check it out for you.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

@thegerg said:
@jrett said:

It's sleazy to try to get out of paying what you've agreed to pay by letting a payment method expire.

You don't get out of paying anything if your payment method expires. The company tries to charge you and if it fails, you lose access. How do you not know this?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@thegerg said:
@airshocker said:
@thegerg said:
@jrett said:

It's sleazy to try to get out of paying what you've agreed to pay by letting a payment method expire.

You don't get out of paying anything if your payment method expires. The company tries to charge you and if it fails, you lose access. How do you not know this?

I do know this. He agreed to pay a certain fee. He hoped to avoid paying what he agreed to pay by letting the card expire. The up-front way to deal with it would be to pay what he owes and cancel his service.

You apparently don't. He already paid a fee. If his card expired the very next day, he already paid the fee. Now lets say a month passes and the company tries to charge his expired card and it doesn't go through. All he does is lose access because he hasn't paid for the current months subscription. He hasn't stolen anything and he doesn't owe any payment.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@thegerg said:
@airshocker said:
@thegerg said:
@airshocker said:
@thegerg said:
@jrett said:

I do know this. He agreed to pay a certain fee. He hoped to avoid paying what he agreed to pay by letting the card expire. The up-front way to deal with it would be to pay what he owes and cancel his service.

You apparently don't. He already paid a fee. If his card expired the very next day, he already paid the fee. Now lets say a month passes and the company tries to charge his expired card and it doesn't go through. All he does is lose access because he hasn't paid for the current months subscription. He hasn't stolen anything and he doesn't owe any payment.

At no point did I say that he had stolen anything.

I never said that you did. The fact still remains that you don't know what it is you're talking about.

"It's sleazy to try and get out of paying what you've agreed to pay by letting a payment method expire."

He isn't getting out of paying something since he doesn't owe payment. That's how monthly subscriptions work: You pay for the current month, not the previous. It's certainly not sleazy.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@thegerg said:

Right, he doesn't owe payment because he got out of the agreement he made. That was part of my first post in this thread, remember?

No, he doesn't owe payment because no services were exchanged. He didn't pay because his credit card expired. There is a difference there.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@thegerg said:
@airshocker said:
@thegerg said:

Right, he doesn't owe payment because he got out of the agreement he made. That was part of my first post in this thread, remember?

No, he doesn't owe payment because no services were exchanged. He didn't pay because his credit card expired. There is a difference there.

Yeah, no services were exchanged because he got out of the agreement he made, which is the same reason that he didn't owe anything.

No, the point here is that you don't know what you're talking about. The TC is entirely within his rights to not pay the fee and allow the membership to lapse. You're trying to shame him for absolutely no reason: "The up-front way to deal with it would be to pay what he owes and cancel his service."

Since he doesn't owe anything, why should he have to pay? The agreement is a month to month contract. If your payment method has expired and you don't update it, it has the exact same outcome as if you had canceled your membership manually.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@thegerg said:
@airshocker said:
@thegerg said:
@airshocker said:
@thegerg said:

Yeah, no services were exchanged because he got out of the agreement he made, which is the same reason that he didn't owe anything.

No, the point here is that you don't know what you're talking about. The TC is entirely within his rights to not pay the fee and allow the membership to lapse. You're trying to shame him for absolutely no reason: "The up-front way to deal with it would be to pay what he owes and cancel his service."

Since he doesn't owe anything, why should he have to pay? The agreement is a month to month contract. If your payment method has expired and you don't update it, it has the exact same outcome as if you had canceled your membership manually.

He shouldn't have to pay. As was established in my first post, he got out of having to pay. Why are you asking me why he should have to pay?

You obviously do think he should have to pay. You said it: "The up-front way to deal with it would be to pay what he owes and cancel his service."

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@thegerg said:
@airshocker said:
@thegerg said:
@airshocker said:
@thegerg said:
@airshocker said:
@thegerg said:

He shouldn't have to pay. As was established in my first post, he got out of having to pay. Why are you asking me why he should have to pay?

You obviously do think he should have to pay. You said it: "The up-front way to deal with it would be to pay what he owes and cancel his service."

I think he should pay what he owes. What makes you think that I think that he should pay what he doesn't owe?

Because you said it: "The up-front way to deal with it would be to pay what he owes and cancel his service". A reasonably intelligent person reading his post wouldn't have been able to come to that conclusion.

Am I not supposed to take your words at face value?

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#19 themajormayor
Member since 2011 • 25729 Posts

@thegerg said:

Saying that one should pay what they DO owe is not the same thing as saying that they should pay what they DON'T owe.

Oh yeah?

jrett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By jrett

I'm not sure why there is so much confusion here. At no point did I say anything about ripping any one off or trying to steal anything. I simply wanted to end my subscription after many years and thought that letting my credit card info on record would be the simplest way. There was no attempt at malice or deception.

Byshop mentioned that they ended the paid membership plan. Thank you. That was a good response and pretty much what I was looking for.

Airshocker, thanks for being the voice of reason here.

jrett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 jrett

@thegerg said:
@jrett said:

I agree. But since that isnt what is going on here, at best you're off topic. Otherwise, you're trolling. In any case your comments serve no helpfull purpose.

Next time don't take it personally since its not about you, and you clearly aren't helping.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#22 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

@jrett: Generally speaking, letting your credit card info lapse is not a very good way to "cancel" a service. Not all services bill you in advance of the service period so you may still retain service for a period of time after your payment method lapses. When this occurs, you may end up owing that service another payment before they discontinue your service. If you don't pay, this will eventually go to a collections agency which can negatively impact your credit rating. Additionally, if that service keeps track of any sort of "account standing", lapsing on your payment info typically puts an account in poor standing which may limit your options for returning to that service later should you choose to.

If you want to stop using a service, you really should cancel whatever service that is.

-Byshop

jrett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By jrett

@Byshop: thanks for the education. I wasn't worried about it

LexLas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24 LexLas
Member since 2005 • 7317 Posts
@jrett said:

You should seriously be in control of anything that is being charged on your card. You don't know how many little bs charges go through without your consent. Stay on top of your credit man, it means everything for your future. Credit is major, an important part of your life.