How do I be happy?

• 64 results
#1 Posted by the_plan_man (1555 posts) -

I am tired of feeling miserable all the time, and it really doesn't even make sense half the time. I am 3/4 the way done with college, I have a part-time job, am well-off physically, but am still unhappy. I had a bad past full of bullies (including bullying teacher-see other thread) who made me feel bad whenever I was happy, and because of mental difficulties find it very hard to get by without people yelling at me. For example, I had a photography class where because I was inadequate at it, the lab aides would yell at me, and because I have a hard time being on-time, the teacher in that class did not like me either, so I feel bad about myself. However, the rest of my classes went fine. I have some friends at university but not a lot, and I keep ruminating about bad past experiences (like the teacher who yelled at me years back). Can someone help?

#2 Edited by Master_Live (14451 posts) -

Well, perhaps you should seek professional help.

Do you have a girlfriend? Are you looking for one or is that just an area that you don't prioritize?

#3 Posted by evildead6789 (7644 posts) -

I am tired of feeling miserable all the time, and it really doesn't even make sense half the time. I am 3/4 the way done with college, I have a part-time job, am well-off physically, but am still unhappy. I had a bad past full of bullies (including bullying teacher-see other thread) who made me feel bad whenever I was happy, and because of mental difficulties find it very hard to get by without people yelling at me. For example, I had a photography class where because I was inadequate at it, the lab aides would yell at me, and because I have a hard time being on-time, the teacher in that class did not like me either, so I feel bad about myself. However, the rest of my classes went fine. I have some friends at university but not a lot, and I keep ruminating about bad past experiences (like the teacher who yelled at me years back). Can someone help?

kill em all

no just kidding

can't be all that bad , if people don't like you, show that you don't care and they will like you. Some will keep on not liking you, just ignore them and stay out of their way.

#4 Edited by the_plan_man (1555 posts) -

Well, perhaps you should seek professional help.

Do you have a girlfriend? Are you looking for one or is that just an area that don't prioritize?

Don't and not really that interested...

#5 Posted by Braun_Roid_Rage (720 posts) -

http://drphil.com/

#6 Posted by lamprey263 (23639 posts) -

For some reason, people don't seem to like you, maybe through no fault of your own, but maybe there's something about your nature that attracts people to take their aggression out on you, maybe you're too nice or passive. I dunno, grow a back bone and stick up for yourself. Won't make you happy though, but neither will being bullied by people.

#7 Posted by CommandoAgent (761 posts) -

Here's a hint dont listen to the posters below, first join a club whatever your into whatever its Anime etc.. Make Friends Social get

contacts and thats it really.

I am in College and usual i get ignored by my class at this one specif program. I try my best to be friendly.

#8 Posted by Gaming-Planet (14021 posts) -

I tried.

#9 Posted by plageus900 (1046 posts) -

I've noticed you create a lot of threads about how sorry your life is. I count this to be the sixth one I've seen.

#10 Posted by Gaming-Planet (14021 posts) -

Here's a hint dont listen to the posters below, first join a club whatever your into whatever its Anime etc.. Make Friends Social get

I am in College and usual i get ignored by my class at this one specif program. I try my best to be friendly.

Yes, join the anime club.

#11 Posted by Korvus (3586 posts) -

I think the first step is to set goals for yourself...if you have no idea what you want to accomplish you might just get that "being blown around by the wind" feeling. What do you want to do with your life? What's important to you?

When you decide upon that, a big part of being happy is working hard to achieve said goals and rejoice with the little victories (and the big ones, of course).

#12 Posted by quadraleap (36513 posts) -

Look at the big picture, focus, and proceed. Take constructive criticism but don't put up with abuse. Know the difference.

#13 Posted by Iszdope (9909 posts) -

You really need to speak with a professional.

Stop asking us stooges.

#14 Posted by johnd13 (8096 posts) -

You've made so many threads about how miserable your life is that I think you now qualify for a visit to a professional.

#15 Edited by airshocker (29520 posts) -

You need professional help. 90% of the stuff you're going to hear on this board will probably do you more harm than good. Go see a psychiatrist. Maybe some medications are all you'll need. Maybe you just need someone well-versed to talk to. You won't find that kind of help here.

#16 Posted by Hearsay_ (16 posts) -

Not any one solution will make you happy. Happiness is something only the person seeking it can find, and even knows how to find it. If YOU are unhappy, YOU must find your own happiness; might not be easy or fast, but it is something you must find either within ya self or from something you enjoy.

Also, go make love to a beautiful woman/man. Thank me later.

#18 Posted by -ParaNormaN- (799 posts) -

What helps me out of depression are my best friends. I have 2 friends who honestly care about me like family and have invited me to their family events because they consider me their brother. These guys are the ones who pull me out of dark times and keep me sane. I hope you find people like this man, you just need to surround yourself with people who care or people who have the same goals as you, that's how you find happiness.

#19 Posted by MirkoS77 (7358 posts) -

I think a great thing to do when feeling down (at least this helps me) is to seek out the really, REALLY unfortunate. Relativism helps.

I'm 36, have cancer and chemo every week. I'm physically miserable half the week and exhausted the rest. I live in chronic pain. Am Bipolar II. Never had a relationship or been in love, one friend thousands of miles away I barely speak to. I have 100% no social life, no career, live with parents and 1k disability a month. Believe me, I have real shit periods. But whenever I do, I go out and volunteer at the food bank for the homeless. Or at the humane society. Or see people in worse shape than I in the chemo ward. And afterwards, I'm always immensely grateful for many blessings I do have, and while I wouldn't claim it's made me happy, it helps immensely.

There are so many people in this world that are living in complete hell. Not to try to invalidate or minimize your feelings or anything, but keeping perspective on your situation can be a big boost. At least it is for me.

#20 Edited by MrGeezer (56243 posts) -

@MirkoS77 said:

I think a great thing to do when feeling down (at least this helps me) is to seek out the really, REALLY unfortunate. Relativism helps.

I'm 36, have cancer and chemo every week. I'm physically miserable half the week and exhausted the rest. I live in chronic pain. Am Bipolar II. Never had a relationship or been in love, one friend thousands of miles away I barely speak to. I have 100% no social life, no career, live with parents and 1k disability a month. Believe me, I have real shit periods. But whenever I do, I go out and volunteer at the food bank for the homeless. Or at the humane society. Or see people in worse shape than I in the chemo ward. And afterwards, I'm always immensely grateful for many blessings I do have, and while I wouldn't claim it's made me happy, it helps immensely.

There are so many people in this world that are living in complete hell. Not to try to invalidate or minimize your feelings or anything, but keeping perspective on your situation can be a big boost. At least it is for me.

Question: do you think that makes you feel better because you get to see how worse other people have it, or is that making you feel better because you are actually doing something that helps someone out in some way?

Someone above suggested playing more videogames and watching more TV, and that's horrible fucking advice. The unhappiest people I know are the ones who take that advice, and the reason they're unhappy is because they aren't doing shit. The happiest people I know are the ones who actually do or make something that has a tangible benefit. Simply staying productive generally causes people to be happier.

#21 Posted by deeliman (2426 posts) -

Please don't take advice from random people on an off-topic section of a gaming forum, seek professional help.

#22 Posted by Korvus (3586 posts) -

@deeliman said:

Please don't take advice from random people on an off-topic section of a gaming forum, seek professional help.

Although I agree, you just told the guy not to take advice from you =P

#23 Edited by LJS9502_basic (150772 posts) -

Maybe see a professional to see if you suffer from depression. But be honest. Don't try to make it appear you do if you don't. Other than that....there will always be those who don't like you. No one is universally liked. They aren't worth your time either. Maybe you're just a bit sensitive and assume you're not liked. Some people are like that. That said figure out what you want in life and work toward it. Being successful builds confidence. That also works with people. A few good relationships can give you the boost to step out in the world.

#24 Posted by deeliman (2426 posts) -

@korvus I meant advice about his mental state, silly

#25 Posted by Korvus (3586 posts) -
#26 Edited by kaealy (1456 posts) -

@MirkoS77 said:

You are an awesome human being, that is all I wanted to say.

#27 Posted by -Blasphemy- (3009 posts) -

What helps me out of depression are my best friends. I have 2 friends who honestly care about me like family and have invited me to their family events because they consider me their brother. These guys are the ones who pull me out of dark times and keep me sane. I hope you find people like this man, you just need to surround yourself with people who care or people who have the same goals as you, that's how you find happiness.

#28 Posted by magicalclick (22599 posts) -

@the_plan_man:

Get a hypnotherapy, and no, I am not joking. Shrinks usually just listen to your blah and write notes. They rarely solve your problem as you have to solve it yourself.

Hypnotherapy is just a form a brain washing. Before you think that's bad. Books, music, TV, video game, advertising, news, schools are all form of brain washing. Brain washing is perfectly normal.

#29 Edited by bforrester420 (1480 posts) -

You might be physically healthy in a general sense, but do you get a good amount of exercise (1 hour a day)? The endorphins your body creates from vigorous exercise can go a long way in regulating moods.

If you have bully problems, take some kickboxing or judo/jiu-jitsu classes. That'll kill two birds with one stone: you'll get plenty of exercise and you'll be more confident in your ability to defend yourself. Beyond that, you'll meet new people and build camaraderie.

#30 Edited by bforrester420 (1480 posts) -

@geniobastardo said:

Start playing more games and watching anime. Escape from this life. As much as you can. The way you sound, I don't think you'll ever be able cope up. Because you sound like a loser. I remember my teacher started bullying me when I got a good result. Guess what I did?? I threw the result papers on his face and got suspended from the school for one day. That made me feel good at least. Haven't encountered anything like that ever since.

That's the worst advice I've read in this thread. "Do you feel like a lonely social outcast? Withdraw from society even further! That's the answer." How old are you?

#31 Edited by geniobastardo (1294 posts) -

@bforrester420 said:

@geniobastardo said:

Start playing more games and watching anime. Escape from this life. As much as you can. The way you sound, I don't think you'll ever be able cope up. Because you sound like a loser. I remember my teacher started bullying me when I got a good result. Guess what I did?? I threw the result papers on his face and got suspended from the school for one day. That made me feel good at least. Haven't encountered anything like that ever since.

That's the worst advice I've read in this thread. "Do you feel like a lonely social outcast? Withdraw from society even further! That's the answer." How old are you?

Thanks for your feedback smartass. Did you even read it properly?? I said he feels like a loser. After making that assumption, what more could I suggest?

#32 Posted by bforrester420 (1480 posts) -

@bforrester420 said:

@geniobastardo said:

Thanks for your feedback smartass. Did you even read it properly?? I said he feels like a loser. After making that assumption, what more could I suggest?

Oh, I read it. I had to read it twice to see if you were serious. Based on the advice you gave, you should have refrained from giving any.

#33 Posted by DonQuixote (110 posts) -

A lot of the people in this forum are fools and don't really know how to argue anything and only give useless advice. LSGDG Basic's advice isn't bad, but things run a lot deeper than that. I think you really should go to a counselor and be BRUTALLY honest... and go from there. I've been depressed a lot over the years, and even now I still get extremely sad sometimes. Therapy can see you see things about yourself that you don't notice. You have to get to the root of why you are depressed and remove its cause. If it is dark enough it may be a mental thing... such as something being wrong with your brain. In that awful scenario, you may need medicine. A lot of the time it's just awful circumstances. For example, up until recently I was very stressed with college and work because I hated both. I was suicidal/extremely anxious... All that BS ended and I started feeling 20 times better. Good luck. Also I would advice that you don't tell strangers about your sorrows because they won't understand and will only make you feel worse. Unless you do it for shits and giggles like me. That can be fun yet depressing at the same time.

#34 Edited by uninspiredcup (8368 posts) -

One of the best ways to remove a sense of inadequacy is to Work towards something and manufacture small achievements targets between.

Take into account a realistic evaluation of your circumstances.

This means, not hating yourself. People who feel inadequate do this constantly. They believe 100% the rose tinted view of the world and they have of themselves is accurate. If you have a shitty view of the world, chances are you will live a shitty life.

Motivation videos can be useful, youtube.

#35 Posted by humanistpotato (513 posts) -
#36 Posted by geniobastardo (1294 posts) -

A lot of the people in this forum are fools and don't really know how to argue anything and only give useless advice. LSGDG Basic's advice isn't bad, but things run a lot deeper than that. I think you really should go to a counselor and be BRUTALLY honest... and go from there. I've been depressed a lot over the years, and even now I still get extremely sad sometimes. Therapy can see you see things about yourself that you don't notice. You have to get to the root of why you are depressed and remove its cause. If it is dark enough it may be a mental thing... such as something being wrong with your brain. In that awful scenario, you may need medicine. A lot of the time it's just awful circumstances. For example, up until recently I was very stressed with college and work because I hated both. I was suicidal/extremely anxious... All that BS ended and I started feeling 20 times better. Good luck. Also I would advice that you don't tell strangers about your sorrows because they won't understand and will only make you feel worse. Unless you do it for shits and giggles like me. That can be fun yet depressing at the same time.

Bro in all honesty and seriousness, you seriously have a screw loose in your brain.

#37 Posted by LJS9502_basic (150772 posts) -

@the_plan_man:

Get a hypnotherapy, and no, I am not joking. Shrinks usually just listen to your blah and write notes. They rarely solve your problem as you have to solve it yourself.

Hypnotherapy is just a form a brain washing. Before you think that's bad. Books, music, TV, video game, advertising, news, schools are all form of brain washing. Brain washing is perfectly normal.

No they are not...and no it is not.

#38 Posted by Blueresident87 (5339 posts) -

I cannot help you, but I can tell you this: If you are to the point where you are asking for help about this kind of thing from a forum on a video game website, you need professional help.

Go get some professional help, you won't find any of that here.

#39 Posted by playmynutz (5982 posts) -

First off, don't trust us or 'professionals.'

Creating art brings happiness, that is it nothing else.

#40 Posted by DonQuixote (110 posts) -

@donquixote said:

Bro in all honesty and seriousness, you seriously have a screw loose in your brain.

Thanks for giving an example of the uselessness of people around here. I appreciate it. Illustrations always help.

#41 Edited by Dogswithguns (10744 posts) -

No one can really help you, really... you just gotta find a way and be happy. life isn't all about always happiness okay.

#42 Edited by MirkoS77 (7358 posts) -

@MrGeezer said:

@MirkoS77 said:

Question: do you think that makes you feel better because you get to see how worse other people have it, or is that making you feel better because you are actually doing something that helps someone out in some way?

Someone above suggested playing more videogames and watching more TV, and that's horrible fucking advice. The unhappiest people I know are the ones who take that advice, and the reason they're unhappy is because they aren't doing shit. The happiest people I know are the ones who actually do or make something that has a tangible benefit. Simply staying productive generally causes people to be happier.

I think both. Being productive helps, but my situation makes productivity hard. Going through treatment actually is a form of productivity because it's accomplishing the one thing most vital (keeping me alive), though people generally fail to acknowledge it as such because it's simply maintaining the status quo that they've been given for free, and they don't see any form of payoff or value in it because they don't have to work for it. Trust me, chemo is hard, hard work.

But helping others is definitely an upper. I'd say, yea, that helps more but I can't downplay the effect that seeing hardship in others makes me much more grateful. Don't mean to say it makes me happy to see others suffer, I hope that's not the way it came off. It just helps reevaluate my lot and makes me very grateful which I find translates into some form of contentment.

#43 Edited by MirkoS77 (7358 posts) -

@Blueresident87 said:

@the_plan_man said:

I cannot help you, but I can tell you this: If you are to the point where you are asking for help about this kind of thing from a forum on a video game website, you need professional help.

Go get some professional help, you won't find any of that here.

I don't understand this. So what if it's a site for barbie doll collectors? This board is constituted of people who have life experience, who hurt, who are happy, who have things to relate. I've found advice and feedback on here just as insightful as I have from someone I'm paying. Professional or not, advice is advice. That people give it on a video game forum doesn't inherently invalidate it, nor does it mean the people here are any less human or worthy.

@kaealy appreciate it, wish I could believe it.

#44 Edited by whipassmt (14024 posts) -

@CommandoAgent said:

Good suggestion.

@the_plan_man said:

I would advise you to try harder to be on time. It might not really help with your unhappiness, but it may cause some people to like you better. Keep in touch with your friends and family, don't feel bad if the number of your friends is not real high, it's the quality of friendships that matters, not the quantity.

It seems that the past bullying issues are having a big lingering effect on you. I would advise you to seek out a psychiatrist to help deal with this. Also maybe training in some kind of martial art, or taking up body building could be helpful to you in terms of building up your confidence. Also focus on improving your spiritual life, try to pray more often.

Maybe you can do some kind of work with your hands, to kind of produce something. Maybe gardening, or woodwork. Maybe try cooking. I think people generally have an innate desire to kind of do some kind of manual work and view the fruits of their labor, something that a lot of modern jobs don't provide anymore.

#45 Posted by foxhound_fox (88118 posts) -

Find out if you need anti-depressants.

Doing simple things should bring most people some happiness. Find out your MBTI/Keirset Temperament, it's done wonders for me and my confidence levels (knowing exactly who I am and having perspective given to me about how to apply myself to situations that give me pleasure, in both work and play environments).

#46 Posted by geniobastardo (1294 posts) -

@geniobastardo said:

@donquixote said:

Thanks for giving an example of the uselessness of people around here. I appreciate it. Illustrations always help.

No. You seriously find something which is essential for you to live a fulfilling life anxious?. You get suicidal thoughts from something which can lead you to greater happiness later in your life. It's a problem with your point of view. Nothing less, nothing more.

#47 Edited by KHAndAnime (13660 posts) -

Do a lot of drugs.

Jk, just do a little bit. It will open your mind in ways you can't currently imagine and can lead to a healthier train of thought if you find something you have fun doing. Releases anxiety and stress, encourages more productive types of thinking. Anti-depressants might work best because odds are that if you're currently depressed you'll delve too hard into other things.

#49 Posted by MrGeezer (56243 posts) -

Do a lot of drugs.

Jk, just do a little bit. It will open your mind in ways you can't currently imagine and can lead to a healthier train of thought if you find something you have fun doing. Releases anxiety and stress, encourages more productive types of thinking. Anti-depressants might work best because odds are that if you're currently depressed you'll delve too hard into other things.

This is also bullshit advice.

For starters, what the hell do you mean by "drugs"? Are you talking about drugs prescribed by his doctor/psychiatrist after he seeks professional help? Well, no shit. If you see a doctor and that doctor says you need a drug, then in most cases you should take that drug. That kind of goes without saying, but the first step is to seek professional help.

But hey, let's suppose you're advocating the self-medicating route. What drug is he supposed to take, exactly? Alcohol? Marijuana? Meth? Heroin? Crack? LSD? Can you be a little more specific? And furthermore, how the fuck is he supposed to know what to take? How is he supposed to know the proper dosage, and how frequently to use it?

And also, let's just fuck off with this "drugs open your mind, man" bullshit. Sure, lots of our favorite rock bands dabbled heavily in drugs and got something out of it, but it wasn't the drugs. It was that they worked their goddamn asses off, so much that they were working even when they got high. That's not the drugs, that's the fact that they were working so fucking hard that they made good shit despite the drugs. Look at your favorite drug addicted band and ask yourself this simple question: would they have been great without the drugs? If the answer is yes, thn they didn't need the drugs to be great. And if the answer is no, then they are a shitty band, because it was the drugs that made the music, not them.

Anyway, drugs drugs drugs. Everyone do more drugs. Yeah, that's totally the answer. Because we all know that going out and getting drugs tends to solve most peoples' problems. :roll:

#50 Posted by PS4hasNOgames (1580 posts) -

well, I think everyone at one time or another was bullied at some point in their life. you all might not remember it but we were all made fun of at one point. about your teacher....who cares, he/she was miserable with their shitty life so they tried to make your life shitty also. the best revenge is living a happy and successful life. just remember this, whatever you do try to progress in it, meaning try to be positive. because if you're not positive you're negative.