How come it's like the better it tastes, the worse it is for you?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Flaming_Ape

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 Flaming_Ape
Member since 2007 • 3246 Posts
I've always wondered why it has to be that way with food, and the unhealthiest foods out there (donuts and french fries) tastes so awesome, but healthy foods (I'm not saying all of them, I'm just saying in general) such as cooked spinach tastes horrible.  Can someone explain to me why this world has to be so unfair with food?
Squidward117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 Squidward117
Member since 2005 • 4374 Posts
Vitamins don't taste good..?
megagene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 megagene
Member since 2005 • 23160 Posts
Because fat tastes good. Plain and simple.
FragStains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 FragStains
Member since 2003 • 20668 Posts
Vitamins don't taste good..?Squidward117
The multivitamins I take taste and smell like dog food.
Egonga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#5 Egonga
Member since 2002 • 18205 Posts
Are you kidding? Celery > Cake.
geodisicdome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#6 geodisicdome
Member since 2005 • 13663 Posts
try making fresh fruit juice - it tastes much nicer than anything you could buy in burger king
still_thinking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#7 still_thinking
Member since 2006 • 908 Posts

I've always wondered why it has to be that way with food, and the unhealthiest foods out there (donuts and french fries) tastes so awesome, but healthy foods (I'm not saying all of them, I'm just saying in general) such as cooked spinach tastes horrible.  Can someone explain to me why this world has to be so unfair with food?Flaming_Ape

ha ha. I think that all the time.:lol: Guess it's like......part of the law of physics or something.

SunofVich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 SunofVich
Member since 2004 • 4665 Posts
here is my philosophy.

Eat what you love to eat becuase life is'nt enjoyable unless you enjoy your food.

Have you ever heard someone get excited about eating a bowl of salad.  I have'nt.  Now someone who is about to eat a nice juicy medium rare T-Bone steak will definitly get excited.  I know I would.
Cyrax-Sektor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#9 Cyrax-Sektor
Member since 2006 • 12060 Posts
'Tis life. It's a bummer.
-OpaK-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 -OpaK-
Member since 2006 • 2728 Posts
because its the fat and sugar that tastes good.  I personally hate doughnuts and prefer fruits and vegetables though
dodgerblue13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 dodgerblue13
Member since 2004 • 20846 Posts
I prefer healthy fooods.I don't care for donuts, cakes, pies, most chocolate, and the like. So I really don't fit under this assumption.
Account_27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Account_27
Member since 2005 • 13426 Posts
Are you kidding? Celery > Cake.Egonga
What about celery IN the cake? Genius. If it worked for carrots, it must work for celery.
yamum2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 yamum2
Member since 2007 • 5879 Posts
there r some healthy food that taste awesome. like fruit, salad, meats is healthy for you.
BobElSnob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 BobElSnob
Member since 2006 • 326 Posts
Because god has a mean sense of humor
double_decker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#15 double_decker
Member since 2006 • 146090 Posts
Because that's just the way of the world:o
Flaming_Ape

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 Flaming_Ape
Member since 2007 • 3246 Posts
Because that's just the way of the world:odouble_decker
You sure are right. :roll:
GameBoy966

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 GameBoy966
Member since 2006 • 2207 Posts

Because God has a strange sense of irony.

*looks at sig*

DJ-PRIME90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#18 DJ-PRIME90
Member since 2004 • 11292 Posts
because thats life:(
gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 gameguy6700
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts
Your brain is programmed to love fat, carb rich foods since that gives you the most energy. It was a good survival mechanism back thousands of years ago when people were nomadic and foraged for their food. If you came across a freshly killed deer, it helped if you ate as much of it as you physically could so you could live long enough to get to the next large food supply. These days, however, food isnt in short supply, but that drive to eat fatty foods is still there, and that drive manifests itself in 20oz steaks tasting great while a salad tastes mediocore in comparision.
GameBoy966

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 GameBoy966
Member since 2006 • 2207 Posts
I hate steak. But I love salad.
Squidward117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#21 Squidward117
Member since 2005 • 4374 Posts
Your brain is programmed to love fat, carb rich foods since that gives you the most energy. It was a good survival mechanism back thousands of years ago when people were nomadic and foraged for their food. If you came across a freshly killed deer, it helped if you ate as much of it as you physically could so you could live long enough to get to the next large food supply. These days, however, food isnt in short supply, but that drive to eat fatty foods is still there, and that drive manifests itself in 20oz steaks tasting great while a salad tastes mediocore in comparision.gameguy6700
But then why do things like Pop-tarts and Jolly Ranchers taste so good then? Sure they weren't around thousands of years ago...
sca321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 sca321
Member since 2003 • 1903 Posts
[QUOTE="gameguy6700"]Your brain is programmed to love fat, carb rich foods since that gives you the most energy. It was a good survival mechanism back thousands of years ago when people were nomadic and foraged for their food. If you came across a freshly killed deer, it helped if you ate as much of it as you physically could so you could live long enough to get to the next large food supply. These days, however, food isnt in short supply, but that drive to eat fatty foods is still there, and that drive manifests itself in 20oz steaks tasting great while a salad tastes mediocore in comparision.Squidward117
But then why do things like Pop-tarts and Jolly Ranchers taste so good then? Sure they weren't around thousands of years ago...

Who told you that? My people have been hunting pop-tarts out on the savanna for thousands of years. They almost drove the frosted ones into extinction a couple hundred years ago, but thankfully their numbers have come back.
gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 gameguy6700
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts
I hate steak. But I love salad.GameBoy966

Yes, but for most people its the other way around. The only reason there's so many "I love salads and water" posts in this topic is because no one is going to post "I eat a box of krispy kreme doughnuts every day", especially when there's someone saying "I measure all my food before eating and never eat junk food" (that and these kinds of topics attract health freaks since it allows them to build up their ego a bit). But I digress, for most people this evolutionary mindset is still in place, and unless they take a lot of effort to counter that instinct, they are going to prefer a double bacon cheeseburger over a the recommended servings of each food group. Its because of this that resturant chains are offering bigger and more fattening meals each year since that's what sells. Eating a meal at places like Ruby Tuesdays or Applebee's can, depending on what you order, exceed an entire day's worth of calories.

Like I said, fatty foods naturally taste better to the average person than healthy foods. The reason you may love salads and hate steaks may be because you are either an anomally (if you were like that since birth) or more likely you were conditioned at some point in your life to have an aversion to unhealthy foods and encouraged to eat healthy. That could have been achieved either unconciously (you had parents that heavily discouraged eating junk food/meat/etc) or conciously (you decided to start eating healthy and over time came to associate steaks with harming yourself and vegetables/fruits to helping yourself). This isnt to say its normal to want to eat an entire chocolate cake every day and loathe healthy food, but that its human nature to prefer fatty, carby, and sugary foods over less fatty, carby, and sugary foods. more than likely this will begin to change in the long run since now that food isnt in short supply, passing on genes means looking more attractive rather than just living to puberty. As a result, people who have a natural inclination to small, healthy portions will have much better odds at passing on their genees than people who have a natural inclination to gorge themselves with only the fattiest foods.

[QUOTE="Squidward117"][QUOTE="gameguy6700"]Your brain is programmed to love fat, carb rich foods since that gives you the most energy. It was a good survival mechanism back thousands of years ago when people were nomadic and foraged for their food. If you came across a freshly killed deer, it helped if you ate as much of it as you physically could so you could live long enough to get to the next large food supply. These days, however, food isnt in short supply, but that drive to eat fatty foods is still there, and that drive manifests itself in 20oz steaks tasting great while a salad tastes mediocore in comparision.

Because sugar-rich, carb-rich, and fat-rich foods will keep you going longer than something like lettuce. Basically, anything with lots of sugar, carbs, and/or fat is going to taste good to you.