How Colleges are Killing America.

• 64 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#51 Posted by CountBleck12 (22642 posts) -

@CountBleck12 said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

The price of textbooks alone is enough to warrant concern. It's an absolutely ridiculous system that needs to be thought over I agree.

Ah yes, some if not most textbooks are just overpriced especially the math ones...

It's especially hilarious when a class requires you have a specifial edition that's marginally different from the one you may have used the previous class.

Yet costs around $200. lmao.

Yeah true. One time I literally had to buy a textbook around $150 brand new (renting and used books were out of the question, couldn't find it anywhere else) for one of my Psychology classes and we ended up hardly ever using that book plus I was still able to pass my exams without it.

#52 Posted by MrGeezer (56098 posts) -

No, I feel that people who go to school to get a career in a certain major deserve that career after graduation for the work they put into during school, especially considering how overpriced colleges are. I'll agree and say that going to school won't guarantee a career in that field, but they deserve it if they put the work into it.

Just so we're clear: you don't even fucking know me, so don't claim I feel entitled to anything.

Uh, no. They don't deserve a job for getting a degree, because getting a degree does not guarantee that there's anyone out there who thinks that your degree is worth the money they'll be paying you once they hire you.

How the hell would this even work? Suppose you get a degree. You could apply for a position at a hundred places before landing a job, so does that 1% hit rate mean that the business or the college is fucking up? How would you enforce this? Is every business gonna be legally required to hire any applicant who invested in a degree and finished it? How the hell is the college gonna be able to guarantee you a job upon graduation without taking into consideration the demand for your knowledge or skills?

Saying that graduates deserve a career is essentially saying that SOMEONE is OBLIGATED to hire the dude. So...who exactly should be obligated to just hire people because they got a degree, even though the market might not make that economically viable?

#53 Posted by gamerguru100 (10496 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@gamerguru100 said:

@lostrib said:

@gamerguru100 said:

Jesus horse fucking Christ. The whole reason people go to college is to get a career. And those employers requiring college degrees won't accept just anyone; they require degrees because there are special skills that need to be learned to do the job right. If someone goes to college for a certain career, gets great grades, agrees to any required internships, and graduates on time with a good GPA, then I think they've earned that career. That's not exactly demanding entitlement to a career; that's rightfully earning it. They have to work at it in order to obtain it. If someone thinks they should be able to get the career without the required post-secondary education, then I'd agree that they're acting entitled.

Did you leave your brain in a dumpster or are you just getting a kick out of being an annoying dick?

How is that rightfully earning a career? all they've earned is a degree. At best they've earned the opportunity to get a job/career in their desired field. Just because you get a degree does not mean you deserve a career in that field.

Do you usually move to personal insults when you can't give a proper answer? Did you learn that in college?

I recently read that to become a neurosurgeon, you need to go through 14 years of school MINIMUM. You don't think neurosurgeons deserve their careers after spending at least 14 years of their lives in school to get there? And while many careers don't require as much time in school as that, they're still expensive to obtain due to the overpriced nature of American colleges. I can't believe you actually think people don't deserve careers for putting in so much work and money into getting the required degree. You disgust me, man.

Four things:

I have given you a proper answer.

I only started to use personal insults in high frequency when you falsely claimed I was entitled and your constant inability to grasp my point.

I'll quit the personal insults if you stop asking the same fucking questions over and over and actually give me your reasoning behind your opinion.

This is really getting tiring.

You have not given a proper answer on why someone deserves something just because they were given a degree? So you worked hard for a degree, congratulations you got one. Now it's time to work hard on getting a career. Just because you put in time and money into getting a degree does not mean you then deserve to be handed a career. People shouldn't be given jobs because they paid a lot of money to get a degree, they should get a job and the subsequent career because they earned it.

"you disgust me, man"

there you go with the insults again.

We're beating dead horses now. The best we can do now is agree to disagree. Further continuing of this conversation is pointless for both of us. Sorry about all the petty insults, but my feelings and opinions for this subject are too strong for anyone to change. You have your opinion and I have mine. Let's just leave it at that.

#54 Posted by BeardMaster (1580 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@gamerguru100 said:

@lostrib said:

@gamerguru100 said:

@Dogswithguns said:

Time to wake up... nothing but scam, it's like credit cards.

I agree that charging people this much for college is a scam, but credit cards aren't a scam. You just have to be smart and careful when you use credit cards. Don't have too many of them and pay them back on time. What's the big scam? A lot of people who are in credit card debt were either too irresponsible with them or just got themselves in a big pickle (like losing their job and living off their credit card while trying to find a new one).

However, charging people like me who are in their early twenties and don't know much about finances to pay several thousands of dollars to get a degree that may or may not guarantee employment soon after graduation should be fucking illegal.

Why? They never said it would guarantee you a job

Jesus fucking Christ, man. Charging people who are only a few years out of high school with little financial knowledge that much money alone should be illegal, because it has scam and wrong written all over it. And while a lot of degrees are useless, the ones that aren't should guarantee a career at some point after graduation considering THE MOTHERFUCKING COST of going to college in the good 'ole United States of 'MURRICA. I'm going to school right now for a degree in radiography, which is in the medical field. And since it's in the medical field, chances are I'll get into that career after graduation, but alongside my previous community college debt, my total debt will probably be fucking 40 to 50 grand.

How is any of this the fault of the schools? And just having a degree should not guarantee you a job.

Should coming out the right dick guarantee you a job? What should guarantee you a job if not a college degree? If nothing else, having a college degree should most guarantee you a job.

#55 Posted by BeardMaster (1580 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@gamerguru100 said:

@lostrib said:

@gamerguru100 said:

Jesus horse fucking Christ. The whole reason people go to college is to get a career. And those employers requiring college degrees won't accept just anyone; they require degrees because there are special skills that need to be learned to do the job right. If someone goes to college for a certain career, gets great grades, agrees to any required internships, and graduates on time with a good GPA, then I think they've earned that career. That's not exactly demanding entitlement to a career; that's rightfully earning it. They have to work at it in order to obtain it. If someone thinks they should be able to get the career without the required post-secondary education, then I'd agree that they're acting entitled.

Did you leave your brain in a dumpster or are you just getting a kick out of being an annoying dick?

How is that rightfully earning a career? all they've earned is a degree. At best they've earned the opportunity to get a job/career in their desired field. Just because you get a degree does not mean you deserve a career in that field.

Do you usually move to personal insults when you can't give a proper answer? Did you learn that in college?

I recently read that to become a neurosurgeon, you need to go through 14 years of school MINIMUM. You don't think neurosurgeons deserve their careers after spending at least 14 years of their lives in school to get there? And while many careers don't require as much time in school as that, they're still expensive to obtain due to the overpriced nature of American colleges. I can't believe you actually think people don't deserve careers for putting in so much work and money into getting the required degree. You disgust me, man.

Four things:

I only started to use personal insults in high frequency when you falsely claimed I was entitled and your constant inability to grasp my point.

I'll quit the personal insults if you stop asking the same fucking questions over and over and actually give me your reasoning behind your opinion.

You have not given a proper answer on why someone deserves something just because they were given a degree? So you worked hard for a degree, congratulations you got one. Now it's time to work hard on getting a career. Just because you put in time and money into getting a degree does not mean you then deserve to be handed a career. People shouldn't be given jobs because they paid a lot of money to get a degree, they should get a job and the subsequent career because they earned it.

"you disgust me, man"

yea why would anyone deserve anything for working hard. Its all about who you know, not what you are capable of. Why work hard to be the CEO of a company, when yur dad can make you ceo of the company. Its all about earning it, and winning the genetic lottery is earning it. Going to school learning stuff studying? fools game, have yur dad make you a ceo of a company.

#56 Posted by lostrib (34263 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@gamerguru100 said:

@lostrib said:

@gamerguru100 said:

@Dogswithguns said:

Time to wake up... nothing but scam, it's like credit cards.

I agree that charging people this much for college is a scam, but credit cards aren't a scam. You just have to be smart and careful when you use credit cards. Don't have too many of them and pay them back on time. What's the big scam? A lot of people who are in credit card debt were either too irresponsible with them or just got themselves in a big pickle (like losing their job and living off their credit card while trying to find a new one).

However, charging people like me who are in their early twenties and don't know much about finances to pay several thousands of dollars to get a degree that may or may not guarantee employment soon after graduation should be fucking illegal.

Why? They never said it would guarantee you a job

Jesus fucking Christ, man. Charging people who are only a few years out of high school with little financial knowledge that much money alone should be illegal, because it has scam and wrong written all over it. And while a lot of degrees are useless, the ones that aren't should guarantee a career at some point after graduation considering THE MOTHERFUCKING COST of going to college in the good 'ole United States of 'MURRICA. I'm going to school right now for a degree in radiography, which is in the medical field. And since it's in the medical field, chances are I'll get into that career after graduation, but alongside my previous community college debt, my total debt will probably be fucking 40 to 50 grand.

How is any of this the fault of the schools? And just having a degree should not guarantee you a job.

Should coming out the right dick guarantee you a job? What should guarantee you a job if not a college degree? If nothing else, having a college degree should most guarantee you a job.

No it shouldn't.

#57 Edited by lostrib (34263 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@gamerguru100 said:

@lostrib said:

@gamerguru100 said:

Four things:

"you disgust me, man"

yea why would anyone deserve anything for working hard. Its all about who you know, not what you are capable of. Why work hard to be the CEO of a company, when yur dad can make you ceo of the company. Its all about earning it, and winning the genetic lottery is earning it. Going to school learning stuff studying? fools game, have yur dad make you a ceo of a company.

No

#58 Posted by wis3boi (31102 posts) -

i swear this thread already happened a few weeks/months ago, with the same replies

#60 Posted by lostrib (34263 posts) -

@wis3boi said:

i swear this thread already happened a few weeks/months ago, with the same replies

Well the TC makes a college hating thread like every other day anyways so wouldn't be surprised

#61 Edited by MrGeezer (56098 posts) -

@gamerguru100 said:

No, I feel that people who go to school to get a career in a certain major deserve that career after graduation for the work they put into during school, especially considering how overpriced colleges are. I'll agree and say that going to school won't guarantee a career in that field, but they deserve it if they put the work into it.

Just so we're clear: you don't even fucking know me, so don't claim I feel entitled to anything.

And I really really have to point this out. Work they put into school is like, a lot of effort. Getting a desired career is like, the ultimate prize. So, what you're really (unintentionally) saying here is that people should get rewarded for effort, completely regardless of one's VALUE to the person giving out the award. AKA...they're somehow supposed to pay your ass and give you a job, even though you're worth nothing to them. This is like, the epitome of saying "you get a medal for effort".

And I'm sorry, but the world doesn't fucking work that way. Except when upset parents tried to get schools to teach children that the world works that way, then those kids reach the real world and get knocked on their asses by the harsh truths. You generally get a job because you're valuable enough to someone that they're willing to give you money to do work. Notice that that compensation is based on value, not fucking EFFORT. Working hard doesn't inherently guarantee you to shit. It never did, it never will, and it FUCKING SHOULDN'T. Because if there's no WORTH in what you do, then forcing other people to pay your ass just because you tried just means that productive members of society are forced to work non-productively in order to make worthless people feel happy. And that's especially a problem when the economy isn't so good, and the number of people getting degrees is steadily increasing. Okay...getting a degree entitles you to a job that pays you good money. Well, where the fuck is that money coming from? Companies have to reduce their workforce and eliminate costs all the freaking time, now they're supposed to be obligated to give jobs to people who put in the effort to get a college degree? That doesn't work. That CAN'T fucking work, not when so many people are ABLE to get college degrees.

#62 Posted by BeardMaster (1580 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@BeardMaster said:

@lostrib said:

@gamerguru100 said:

@lostrib said:

@gamerguru100 said:

Four things:

"you disgust me, man"

No

good response.

#63 Posted by thegerg (14828 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@gamerguru100 said:

@lostrib said:

@gamerguru100 said:

Four things:

"you disgust me, man"

"yea why would anyone deserve anything for working hard."

They got a degree, that's what they deserve for their hard work in school. They don't deserve anything more for that hard work.

#64 Edited by loco145 (10764 posts) -

So, since you aren't entitled to anything after spending a lot of time and money we can conclude that College education is a terrible investment. Borderline scam imo.

#65 Posted by lostrib (34263 posts) -

@loco145 said:

So, since you aren't entitled to anything after spending a lot of time and money we can conclude that College education is a terrible investment. Borderline scam imo.

no, but i'm sure that's your awful conclusion

#66 Posted by RenegadeSteve (143 posts) -

well they could just work full time and pay their debt off like me. instead of doing the 4 year plan, i went with a five year plan and worked full time. i have no debt and will finish my bachelors in a few months. you just have to sacrifice somethings, i worked holidays for double pay and even did grave shifts. i think doing this has made me a more well rounded student because i have a really good work ethic. My internship is considering hiring me in a position that requires a masters degree just because I am so productive.

That's one of the problems right there so many students don't wanna sacrifice anything, a lot of them want their cake and ice cream and think their entitled to a job.