How can anyone deny man made climate change?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#51 Posted by deeliman (2451 posts) -

@neroist said:

@deeliman:

Sorry coronal events I should have said. Even so, your graph shows a lot of correlation to solar activity to temp .

But the fact that solar activity went down while temperatures went up means it's not the cause.

#52 Edited by dave123321 (34152 posts) -

It was only compelling like in 2004

#53 Posted by LJS9502_basic (151461 posts) -

@deeliman said:

OT was already kind of dead when I joined, so I wouldn't know whether or not that's true. Were there a lot of, in your opinion, uncompelling threads when OT was still active?

Well sometimes I find your posts quite insightful...then I see this thread...and uh...:P

Anyway OT was busy enough that there were a lot of threads with activity and the bad ones didn't last too long. Now...that's all that seems to be here. Hell the one hundredth post your picture thread didn't even fare well.

#54 Posted by deeliman (2451 posts) -

@LJS9502_basic said:

@deeliman said:

OT was already kind of dead when I joined, so I wouldn't know whether or not that's true. Were there a lot of, in your opinion, uncompelling threads when OT was still active?

Well sometimes I find your posts quite insightful...then I see this thread...and uh...:P

Anyway OT was busy enough that there were a lot of threads with activity and the bad ones didn't last too long. Now...that's all that seems to be here. Hell the one hundredth post your picture thread didn't even fare well.

I know this isn't my most compelling thread, but I was bored and have nothing else to do since I'm sick. :P

I wonder how long it will take before ot completely dies out.

#55 Posted by dave123321 (34152 posts) -

Hey deeliman, have you visited tdh yet?

#56 Posted by deeliman (2451 posts) -

@dave123321 said:

Hey deeliman, have you visited tdh yet?

I have, but I haven't posted there yet.

#57 Posted by cain006 (8625 posts) -

I think not many think it doesn't happen, I think that they think that it isn't as big of a deal as some people say it is.

#58 Edited by Ace6301 (21389 posts) -

There's a lot of money in having people believe it isn't an issue. It's much easier to push for less regulation and such when you can convince people the regulation is just there because of scare tactics and not legitimate concerns.

People also have a strange belief that with all the industry we have and all the pollution we as a species produce that we can't have an effect on nature. We have a pretty heavy sustained effect on the environment and while massive volcanic eruptions tend to beat us out in short term pollution we're certainly more than enough to tip scales. Having seen how parts of China are I find it pretty hard to believe we can do what we do without effecting the entire planet. Even if we somehow don't its worth trying to reduce emissions just so we don't end up being a smog covered hell hole.

#59 Edited by MakeMeaSammitch (3953 posts) -

People believe more in corporate propaganda and politics than science.

It's sad, and I hope they don't reproduce.

#60 Edited by tenaka2 (17040 posts) -

@Nibroc420 said:

There's no evidence that the current change in climate was caused by humans,.

You are a dirty filthy liar

http://climate.nasa.gov/scientific-consensus

Ninety-seven percent of climate scientists agree that climate-warming trends over the past century are very likely due to human activities,1and most of the leading scientific organizations worldwide have issued public statements endorsing this position. The following is a partial list of these organizations, along with links to their published statements and a selection of related resources.

#61 Edited by s_h_a_d_o (1295 posts) -

@Nibroc420 said:

@s_h_a_d_o said:

@Nibroc420 said:

@s_h_a_d_o said:

Although I personally would not go as far as to assign causality, I would argue that Man's influence upon Earth's environment (especially within the last couple of centuries) has, if not initiated, at the very least exacerbated certain climatic tendencies, and as such is responsible for profound, far-reaching effects, the results of which are still forthcoming.

The same can be said of natural evolution, and mankind's dabbling in selective-breeding/genetic-modification.

That would be arguing causality.

There's no evidence that the current change in climate was caused by humans, as we do not have any data regarding what the earth would be like 2013CE if humans had never existed.

We do know, that the earth goes through cycles of climate, which does not follow a set pattern, and is far more complex than climate change believers tend to think.

No. I stated, quite explicitly, that I do not attribute the cause of current conditions to the activities of Man (as I have no evidence for such an assumption), but that I also will not discount those same activities having an effect upon conditions.

If you cannot parse simple sentences, I'd advise some extra-curricular aid. :|

So you're not arguing that Humans caused global warming.You're saying humans did things, and those things caused global warming.

/facepalm.

Why do i bother?

No - "having an effect" does not equate with "cause".

Why do you bother?

#62 Posted by DaBrainz (7673 posts) -

Anybody claiming that global warming skepticism is caused from some viral right wing corporate influence needs to look at the billions of dollars behind "green" energy and the names attached to it. Pot meet Kettle.

#63 Posted by Nibroc420 (13567 posts) -

@s_h_a_d_o: that's like arguing that alcohol doesn't cause people to suck at driving, it just "effects" their driving in a way that makes them worse at it...

#65 Posted by Barbariser (6724 posts) -

It's mostly due to a simple lack of scientific literacy.

#66 Posted by HuggyBear1020 (456 posts) -

The earth was, at one time, covered mostly in water, long before man even walked the earth. We are going through a natural cycle that happens over billions of years, and right now we are still coming out of an ice age, so the polar caps are still quite icy, but slightly less so as time goes by. This was going to happen whether or not a single car was driven.

#67 Posted by Nibroc420 (13567 posts) -

@s_h_a_d_o said:

@Nibroc420 said:

@s_h_a_d_o: that's like arguing that alcohol doesn't cause people to suck at driving, it just "effects" their driving in a way that makes them worse at it...

No, 'tis nothing like what I was arguing.

I shall give you the benefit of the doubt, assume that English is not your first language, which thereby leaves you relentlessly uncomprehending...

or else I would be forced to deem you an unapologetic ignoramus.

You could defend your position, and give us legitimate reasons to believe your claims.

Or you could simply insult the people who're questioning your position.

Seems you've chosen the latter.

#68 Edited by s_h_a_d_o (1295 posts) -

@Nibroc420 said:

You could defend your position, and give us legitimate reasons to believe your claims.

I have stated my position succinctly (and repeatedly), and I don't feel the need to convince you of anything... unlike your good self, it seems.

@Nibroc420 said:

Or you could simply insult the people who're questioning your position.

I did give you the benefit of the doubt.

@Nibroc420 said:

Seems you've chosen the latter.

I choose to ignore those who would purposefully misconstrue my words for the sake of banal contrarianism. I'm always willing to enter into discussion with open minds.

#69 Edited by MakeMeaSammitch (3953 posts) -

@DaBrainz: Just read us a graph so we can laugh at you and move on.

#70 Edited by Nibroc420 (13567 posts) -

@deeliman said:

@neroist said:
@deeliman said:
@neroist said:

Because the main thing that controls the climate on Earth is the Sun and it's magnetic cycles. The reason ice ages come along are due to delays in magnetic cycles of the sun not human doings on earth.

Over the last 35 years the sun has shown a slight cooling trend. However global temperatures have been increasing. Since the sun and climate are going in opposite directions scientists conclude the sun cannot be the cause of recent global warming.

The Sun has been released more and more energetic burst in the last 10 years than since first starting recording. The top ten recorded events have been in the last 10 . We have been monitoring the sun for 40 years.

We can measure solar activity from longer than 40 years ago.

Do you have anything older than 150 years?

Or are you simply ignoring the fact the earth has climate cycles...

#71 Posted by deeliman (2451 posts) -

@Nibroc420 said:

@deeliman said:

@neroist said:
@deeliman said:
@neroist said:

Because the main thing that controls the climate on Earth is the Sun and it's magnetic cycles. The reason ice ages come along are due to delays in magnetic cycles of the sun not human doings on earth.

Over the last 35 years the sun has shown a slight cooling trend. However global temperatures have been increasing. Since the sun and climate are going in opposite directions scientists conclude the sun cannot be the cause of recent global warming.

The Sun has been released more and more energetic burst in the last 10 years than since first starting recording. The top ten recorded events have been in the last 10 . We have been monitoring the sun for 40 years.

We can measure solar activity from longer than 40 years ago.

Do you have anything older than 150 years?

Or are you simply ignoring the fact the earth has climate cycles...

I'm not ignoring anything, I know that the earth has climate cycles. That's not the problem. The problem is that it's occurring at an unusually high pace, which is caused by human activity.

Do you know what greenhouse gasses are?

#72 Edited by DaBrainz (7673 posts) -

@MakeMeaSammitch said:

@DaBrainz: Just read us a graph so we can laugh at you and move on.

What are you talking about? Your statement needs context.

#73 Posted by ultimate-k (2348 posts) -

If wish to learn more, please view my posted videos on page 1.

#74 Posted by HoolaHoopMan (7807 posts) -

Because the vast majority of people are scientifically illiterate, or in Nibroc's case suffering from severe mental retardation.

#75 Posted by deeliman (2451 posts) -

@ultimate-k: The graph you used only goes until 1855, long before modern global warming began.

#76 Edited by ultimate-k (2348 posts) -

@HoolaHoopMan said:

Because the vast majority of people are scientifically illiterate, or in Nibroc's case suffering from severe mental retardation.

Or maybe know how the so called "scientists" got the results. Corruption and politics play a big part in this hoax.

#77 Posted by HoolaHoopMan (7807 posts) -

@ultimate-k said:

@HoolaHoopMan said:

Or maybe know how the so called "scientists" got the results. Corruption and politics play a big part in this hoax.

Hardly, I can spot scientific illiterates like yourself a mile away. There isn't a scientific institution on the face of the planet that would say man made global warming is a hoax, hell even the geological and petroleum industries are on board at this point. You're merely proof that certain special interest groups have waged a pretty successful campaign to misinform the general public on the issue.

#78 Edited by LJS9502_basic (151461 posts) -

@deeliman said:

@ultimate-k: The graph you used only goes until 1855, long before modern global warming began.

Some of the causes scientists find are due to coal, oil, etc....you know...heating products. More people, more heat. That still doesn't mean that the cycles won't continue. It may be a bit warmer....that doesn't necessarily mean disaster. The Ice Age did end which was I think a much more pronounced warming. At least as we stand today.

Personally while I'm not denying global warming...it does seem to be exaggerated for some reason.

#79 Edited by deeliman (2451 posts) -

@LJS9502_basic said:

@deeliman said:

Some of the causes scientists find are due to coal, oil, etc....you know...heating products. More people, more heat. That still doesn't mean that the cycles won't continue. It may be a bit warmer....that doesn't necessarily mean disaster. The Ice Age did end which was I think a much more pronounced warming. At least as we stand today.

Personally while I'm not denying global warming...it does seem to be exaggerated for some reason.

The warming of the earth can have pretty bad consequences for us.

http://www.skepticalscience.com/global-warming-positives-negatives.htm

This article explains it pretty well.

#80 Edited by Amarganth (37 posts) -

If global warming could destroy the Earth then months of ashes covering the Earth whenever a super volcano erupted would have done that before mankind was even on this planet. And if global warming could destroy the Earth it's doing it so slow it will sooner be destroyed by the next Yellowstone eruption in a couple of thousand or million years.

A new ice age is coming, how is that possible if man has such a profound impact on this planet?

In the end, who cares? You might die tomorrow or in 80 years, but unless you'll live forever why would you care? Mankind will develop FTL travel and find new planets to settle long before we completely ruin the Earth.

#81 Posted by Omni-Slash (54416 posts) -

because every generation has a new "Earth is Ending harumph harumph harumph" moment just to have it disproved...Global Cooling anyone?...New Ice Age....NYC will be underwater in 10 years....blah blah blah ...people love to think they have more control over things then they do....I'm not saying we shouldn't do our best to take care of limiting waste and stuff like that....but the earth has been here and changing long before and will be here and changing long after us.....it's silly to think we are more than blips on the evolutionary radar....

#82 Posted by thegerg (15460 posts) -

@dave123321: Right, so why do we need to ask the question?

#83 Posted by ultimate-k (2348 posts) -

@HoolaHoopMan said:

@ultimate-k said:

@HoolaHoopMan said:

Hardly, I can spot scientific illiterates like yourself a mile away. There isn't a scientific institution on the face of the planet that would say man made global warming is a hoax, hell even the geological and petroleum industries are on board at this point. You're merely proof that certain special interest groups have waged a pretty successful campaign to misinform the general public on the issue.

Please watch video, learn how corruption, politics, money, and pride effect the so called "scientists" results.

#84 Posted by deeliman (2451 posts) -

@ultimate-k: That movie has been debunked a long time ago.

#85 Posted by destinhpark (4753 posts) -

No one is certain. At least the balance between natural/man made is unsure, so how can you believe that it's all our fault?

#86 Posted by HoolaHoopMan (7807 posts) -

@ultimate-k said:

@HoolaHoopMan said:

Please watch video, learn how corruption, politics, money, and pride effect the so called "scientists" results.

'The great global warming swindle', great so you've posted a link to a highly discredited documentary that doesn't just distort the truth, it out right lies about it.

I guess that's what you do when you don't have any peer reviewed literature to fall back on.

#87 Edited by ultimate-k (2348 posts) -

@HoolaHoopMan said:

@ultimate-k said:

@HoolaHoopMan said:

'The great global warming swindle', great so you've posted a link to a highly discredited documentary that doesn't just distort the truth, it out right lies about it.

I guess that's what you do when you don't have any peer reviewed literature to fall back on.

Keep living in denial, you only view only one version of reality what the system shows you. All you doing is blindly denying the video, and then just repeat what you'v been told at school. Keep eating the lies then.

#88 Posted by tenaka2 (17040 posts) -

i do not understand why the U.S. public have such a fear of science and scientists. Not to mention a general conspiracy bent.

Rather then accept the word of scientists on this matter, many of the U.S. public believe instead that there is a world wide conspiracy.

I think that the problem partially stems from the fact that americans prefer to believe politicians over scientists, which is mind boggling to say the least.

#89 Edited by HoolaHoopMan (7807 posts) -

@ultimate-k said:

@HoolaHoopMan said:

Keep living in denial, you only view only one version of reality what the system shows you. All you doing is blindly denying the video, and then just repeat what you'v been told at school.

Yes I'm the one in denial. The one here with an actual scientific education, background, and career. Meanwhile you, with none of that, post a long debunked video where the actual makers admit to lying through their teeth.

Do you understand how hilarious what you're saying is? Maybe you and Hokie should get together and misinterpret some graphs together. Probably the only thing you two are good at.

Again, if anyone on the denier side could produce any evidence or peer reviewed literature we wouldn't be seeing them post youtube videos to support their point. They'd be teaching it academic institutions.

#90 Edited by GamingTitan (547 posts) -

edit * already posted

#91 Edited by deeliman (2451 posts) -

@HoolaHoopMan said:

@ultimate-k said:

@HoolaHoopMan said:

Keep living in denial, you only view only one version of reality what the system shows you. All you doing is blindly denying the video, and then just repeat what you'v been told at school.

Yes I'm the one in denial. The one here with an actual scientific education, background, and career. Meanwhile you, with none of that, post a long debunked video where the actual makers admit to lying through their teeth.

Do you understand how hilarious what you're saying is? Maybe you and Hokie should get together and misinterpret some graphs together. Probably the only thing you two are good at.

Again, if anyone on the denier side could produce any evidence or peer reviewed literature we wouldn't be seeing them post youtube videos to support their point. They'd be teaching it academic institutions.

rofl

#92 Edited by ultimate-k (2348 posts) -

@HoolaHoopMan said:

@ultimate-k said:

@HoolaHoopMan said:

Yes I have loads of scientific background, I work in a top secret underground research facility, where I make portals! Anyone can be internet tough guy, research other scientists data instead of Al Gore.

You people act like Earth's climate has suddenly changed since the industrial revolution, hint it changes all the time!

#93 Posted by tenaka2 (17040 posts) -

@ultimate-k said:

You people act like Earth's climate has suddenly changed since the industrial revolution, hint it changes all the time!

You are clueless.

#94 Posted by foxhound_fox (88743 posts) -

Most people don't deny it's existence, they deny that it will cause a catastrophic end to the world.

#95 Posted by ultimate-k (2348 posts) -

@tenaka2 said:

@ultimate-k said:

You are clueless.

Nope

#96 Posted by GamingTitan (547 posts) -

the people in the "great Swindle" video have absolutely nothing to gain by lying about global warming. Quite the opposite really.

However the pro global warming scientist have a lot to gain by lying about global warming.

#97 Posted by HoolaHoopMan (7807 posts) -

@ultimate-k said:

@HoolaHoopMan said:

Yes I have loads of scientific background, I work in a top secret underground research facility, where I make portals! Anyone can be internet tough guy, research other scientists data instead of Al Gore.

There's nothing 'tough guy' like about stating the obvious here; that you're a dolt who has no idea what they're talking about.

This has nothing to do with Al Gore or his shit movie. This is about what the science backs. There's a reason why every school on this planet with a science program disagrees with you. Its pretty laughable that the best these basement dwelling deniers can do is search for some obscure blogs and videos. They obviously can't support it with the scientific method.

#98 Edited by tenaka2 (17040 posts) -

@GamingTitan said:

the people in the "great Swindle" video have absolutely nothing to gain by lying about global warming. Quite the opposite really.

However the pro global warming scientist have a lot to gain by lying about global warming.

You realise that most anti global warming propaganda is sponsored by big energy companies who have an awful lot to loose?

#99 Edited by ultimate-k (2348 posts) -

@tenaka2 said:

@GamingTitan said:

You realise that most anti global warming propaganda is sponsored by big energy companies who have an awful lot to loose?

They the ones who's not raising taxes on so called green house tax, and leaving countries like Africa poor, unable to develop a power industry using their oil resources.

#100 Edited by ultimate-k (2348 posts) -

@HoolaHoopMan said:

@ultimate-k said:

@HoolaHoopMan said:

There's nothing 'tough guy' like about stating the obvious here; that you're a dolt who has no idea what they're talking about.

This has nothing to do with Al Gore or his shit movie. This is about what the science backs. There's a reason why every school on this planet with a science program disagrees with you. Its pretty laughable that the best these basement dwelling deniers can do is search for some obscure blogs and videos. They obviously can't support it with the scientific method.

Ye to get people like you brainwashed and controlled. Have you actually viewed the documentary what I posted in full?