House Republicans overwhelmingly vote against Hurricane Sandy relief

• 107 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-598fc45371265
deactivated-598fc45371265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#51 deactivated-598fc45371265
Member since 2008 • 13247 Posts

[QUOTE="C2N2"]

[QUOTE="Storm_Marine"]

nobody got hurt, who cares? you're just looking for an excuse to smear Republicans as unpatriotic/evil. as per usual with your threads. I expect this kind of stuff from Blue-sky but not a mod.

Storm_Marine

*Post link to current event.*

*Summarize event.*

*Post link to past event.*

*Summarize event.*

*Ask why they are handled different given the politics of both regions?*

different republicans, different platforms, there are alot of newcomers in congress that don't want to be seen voting for any new major spending. you all know this, it's just easier for you guys to make this a blue state red state thing

I don't approve of it anymore than you guys do. I'm just not placing myself under any delusions as to what the motivations are.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 LJS9502_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 178837 Posts

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="Blue-Sky"]

Insurance only works for individual emergencies

Not large scale disasters that affects millions of their customers at once.

C2N2

Odd thing to say since hurricane insurance is offered in areas that can be impacted.

LOL Hurricane insurance... You mean "Pay us a steep premium for being at risk and then have like a 10% deductible on your claim insurance." Where you pay the premium year round, every year despite not having a hurricane then in a event of a hurricane your deductible is 10% the value of your home, so if your basement is flooded, and you are in a $500,000 house, the first $50,000 in damage is on you bud.

Except your rant doesn't have anything to do with what I said. But that's how ALL insurance works. Pay premiums for heath care....don't get sick.....pay auto insurance....don't have an accident. Welcome to insurance 101.
Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#53 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

haha republicans. never change

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#54 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

[QUOTE="C2N2"]

[QUOTE="Storm_Marine"]

nobody got hurt, who cares? you're just looking for an excuse to smear Republicans as unpatriotic/evil. as per usual with your threads. I expect this kind of stuff from Blue-sky but not a mod.

Storm_Marine

*Summarize event.*

*Summarize event.*

different republicans, different platforms, there are alot of newcomers in congress that don't want to be seen voting for any new major spending. you all know this, it's just easier for you guys to make this a blue state red state thing

.... No the platforms have been basically the same as they have been for years now.. Your clueless to American politics if you seriously think either party has changed at all these past 8 years.. And those people shouldn't have made it into house.. Because if thats the reason NOT to help people, to avoid being seen with major spending, then they don't deserve position.. Furthermore that is utter horsesh!t... Some 30+ of the Republicans who voted against it demanded for diseaster relief for their districts years back..

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 deactivated-598fc45371265

[QUOTE="Storm_Marine"]

[QUOTE="C2N2"]

*Summarize event.*

*Summarize event.*

sSubZerOo

.... No the platforms have been basically the same as they have been for years now.. Your clueless to American politics if you seriously think either party has changed at all these past 8 years..

Something called the Tea Party came along.... I thought the OT liberals would understand since you constantly bash them and complain about how radical they've made the GOP.

nocoolnamejim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#56 nocoolnamejim
Member since 2003 • 15136 Posts

[QUOTE="C2N2"]

[QUOTE="Storm_Marine"]

Storm_Marine

*Summarize event.*

*Summarize event.*

In other words, your explanation isn't that they're unpatriotic and evil...it's that they are cowards? They are afraid that voting for disaster relief will mean they don't get reelected? You think disaster relief after a hurricane hits is...unpopular? Not following the logic there.
C2N2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 C2N2
Member since 2012 • 759 Posts

[QUOTE="C2N2"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] Odd thing to say since hurricane insurance is offered in areas that can be impacted.LJS9502_basic

LOL Hurricane insurance... You mean "Pay us a steep premium for being at risk and then have like a 10% deductible on your claim insurance." Where you pay the premium year round, every year despite not having a hurricane then in a event of a hurricane your deductible is 10% the value of your home, so if your basement is flooded, and you are in a $500,000 house, the first $50,000 in damage is on you bud.

Except your rant doesn't have anything to do with what I said. But that's how ALL insurance works. Pay premiums for heath care....don't get sick.....pay auto insurance....don't have an accident. Welcome to insurance 101.

Only the deductibles on those types of insurance are negligble at best, and the insurance itself is utilized quite often.

Hurricane insurance, if even offered, is a sham meant to get more money out of customers and then avoid having to pay them in the event of a hurricane short of their entire home being destroyed. And even then will probably require litigation to resolve a claim.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 deactivated-598fc45371265

[QUOTE="Storm_Marine"]

[QUOTE="C2N2"]

*Summarize event.*

*Summarize event.*

nocoolnamejim

In other words, your explanation isn't that they're unpatriotic and evil...it's that they are cowards?

sure,

and you can blame the Tea Party, this would be one of those few situations where you'd be absolutely justified in doing so.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36039 Posts
You stay classy republicans.
Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

Something called the Tea Party came along.... I thought the OT liberals would understand since you constantly bash them and complain about how radical they've made the GOP.

Storm_Marine

truly it is the tea party thats the real victim here and not the american people

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 deactivated-59d151f079814

[QUOTE="nocoolnamejim"][QUOTE="Storm_Marine"]

Storm_Marine

In other words, your explanation isn't that they're unpatriotic and evil...it's that they are cowards?

sure,

and you can blame the Tea Party, this would be one of those few situations where you'd be absolutely justified in doing so.

Except we have had longstanding Republican congress voting against it as well..

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 deactivated-598fc45371265

[QUOTE="Storm_Marine"]

Aljosa23

truly it is the tea party thats the real victim here and not the american people

i've been saying that it's the Tea Party's fault. I usually sympathize with them, but they are sometimes absurdly stubborn.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 deactivated-598fc45371265

[QUOTE="Storm_Marine"]

[QUOTE="nocoolnamejim"] In other words, your explanation isn't that they're unpatriotic and evil...it's that they are cowards? sSubZerOo

sure,

you don't think that they're scared and influenced by the Tea Party?

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#64 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts
sounds right...
C2N2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 C2N2

[QUOTE="Aljosa23"]

[QUOTE="Storm_Marine"]

Storm_Marine

i've been saying that it's the Tea Party's fault. I usually sympathize with them, but they are sometimes absurdly stubborn.

Well you know what they say. The only good compromise in a bipartisan government of the people is NO compromise.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 Serraph105
So, am I reading this right, a hurricane that ravages red states is a true emergency, gets a prompt vote on disaster relief that gets unanimous approval in the Senate and almost unanimous approval in the House. One that hits blue states takes a couple of months to get a vote and then the Republican majority try and kill any aide. Is it because blue staters aren't "real Americans"? Is there some other reason I'm missing that the House GOP acted so shamefully unpatriotic towards their fellow citizens?

Because we're like broke, and stuff. Fellow Americans should be left for dead if we can't afford to help.
Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 Serraph105
sounds right... k2theswiss
Living up to the name "Party of No" isn't easy.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 deactivated-59d151f079814

[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]

[QUOTE="Storm_Marine"]

sure,

Storm_Marine

You have wildy changed your excuses numerous times through out this thread.. Are you going to stick to this one now, that they are gutless cowards?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 deactivated-598fc45371265

[QUOTE="Storm_Marine"]

[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]

sSubZerOo

You have wildy changed your excuses numerous times through out this thread.. Are you going to stick to this one now, that they are gutless cowards?

yawn, the fact that you took my reccomendations of insurance mandates and bailouts seriously tells me you don't know me in the slightest.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 Serraph105

[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]

[QUOTE="Storm_Marine"]

Storm_Marine

yawn, the fact that you took my reccomendations of insurance mandates and bailouts seriously tells me you don't know me in the slightest.

I would hardly argue this at the very beginning of a term. The reason I say this is because voters memories aren't that long term. Also seeing as how tea party influence has largely decreased I don't see them as the reason behind this.
DevilMightCry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 DevilMightCry
Member since 2007 • 3554 Posts
[QUOTE="Abbeten"][QUOTE="Storm_Marine"]

it wasn't long ago that people like you were complaining about the way Bush handled Katrina, now it's suddenly the gold standard for disaster relief.

nocoolnamejim
heh that's not at all what is happening here

Nope. The actual response from FEMA and the delay of Bush declaring it a disaster, going on vacation, etc. and how unprepared our government was were things that were criticized. The promptness and the bipartisan unanimity on voting for funding of relief efforts? Those were praiseworthy. If you seriously see nothing wrong with 179 Republicans voting against hurricane relief efforts for blue states after months of delay when there was no similar problems getting relief for RED states voted on and passed overwhelmingly then I fear you're a lost cause when it comes to being a reasonable person. What you're seeing here is what "derangement syndrome" really looks like. This is a vote so utterly uncontroversial that anyone who voted against it deserves to be shamed and mocked ceaselessly and demonstrates just how extreme and crazy the House GOP caucus has become.

Maybe next time don't include pork in a disaster bill? And that way it can pass without people objecting spending money we do not have? And why is this hurricane any different from others? Most of the buildings and property is insured by private insurance anyways. Why can't I ask and receive govt funds anytime there is a hurricane. It's not Congress Republicans that are extreme. They actually benefit from pork as much as any blue Democrat. Maybe it's the fact that both parties attach crap load of favors and special deals to contractors and spend ourselves into bankruptcy that has some worried? But that would make too much sense for you to accept as a reasonable act why one would block a bill.
comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38671 Posts
Whatever happened to insurance? LJS9502_basic
a lot of basic infrastructure would need rebuilding before individuals can start to rebuild their own homes / businesses. this would be handled more by the states / feds than by individuals making insurance claims.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 deactivated-59d151f079814

[QUOTE="nocoolnamejim"][QUOTE="Abbeten"] heh that's not at all what is happening hereDevilMightCry
Nope. The actual response from FEMA and the delay of Bush declaring it a disaster, going on vacation, etc. and how unprepared our government was were things that were criticized. The promptness and the bipartisan unanimity on voting for funding of relief efforts? Those were praiseworthy. If you seriously see nothing wrong with 179 Republicans voting against hurricane relief efforts for blue states after months of delay when there was no similar problems getting relief for RED states voted on and passed overwhelmingly then I fear you're a lost cause when it comes to being a reasonable person. What you're seeing here is what "derangement syndrome" really looks like. This is a vote so utterly uncontroversial that anyone who voted against it deserves to be shamed and mocked ceaselessly and demonstrates just how extreme and crazy the House GOP caucus has become.

Maybe next time don't include pork in a disaster bill? And that way it can pass without people objecting spending money we do not have? And why is this hurricane any different from others? Most of the buildings and property is insured by private insurance anyways. Why can't I ask and receive govt funds anytime there is a hurricane. It's not Congress Republicans that are extreme. They actually benefit from pork as much as any blue Democrat. Maybe it's the fact that both parties attach crap load of favors and special deals to contractors and spend ourselves into bankruptcy that has some worried? But that would make too much sense for you to accept as a reasonable act why one would block a bill.

Where was the immense outrage to pork in the Katrina relief bill?

Avatar image for deactivated-5b78379493e12
deactivated-5b78379493e12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#74 deactivated-5b78379493e12
Member since 2005 • 15625 Posts

[QUOTE="nocoolnamejim"][QUOTE="Abbeten"] heh that's not at all what is happening hereDevilMightCry

While I agree that far too much pork is attached to bills like this, both parties can be blamed for doing it. I'd love to dredge up the Hurricane Katrina bill and see how much pork was attached to that, since we're compring how fast each disaster bill was passed. We should also compare how much random spending there was, and then you can have an adequate comparison, and thus justify you normal anger against liberals.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 comp_atkins

I would like to know when the United States changed from "We the People" to "fvck ya'll".

sSubZerOo
there's no "we" in the constitution...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 deactivated-59d151f079814

[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]

I would like to know when the United States changed from "We the People" to "fvck ya'll".

comp_atkins

.............. Its in the preamble of the Constitution of the United States.. Another words the FIRST three words.

Mcspanky37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 Mcspanky37
Member since 2010 • 1693 Posts
They're still mad about the election I think
DevilMightCry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 DevilMightCry

[QUOTE="DevilMightCry"][QUOTE="nocoolnamejim"] Nope. The actual response from FEMA and the delay of Bush declaring it a disaster, going on vacation, etc. and how unprepared our government was were things that were criticized. The promptness and the bipartisan unanimity on voting for funding of relief efforts? Those were praiseworthy. If you seriously see nothing wrong with 179 Republicans voting against hurricane relief efforts for blue states after months of delay when there was no similar problems getting relief for RED states voted on and passed overwhelmingly then I fear you're a lost cause when it comes to being a reasonable person. What you're seeing here is what "derangement syndrome" really looks like. This is a vote so utterly uncontroversial that anyone who voted against it deserves to be shamed and mocked ceaselessly and demonstrates just how extreme and crazy the House GOP caucus has become.sSubZerOo

Where was the immense outrage to pork in the Katrina relief bill?

I would like to know that as well. I know its an issue with me and a lot of new freshmen congressmen.
Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 Serraph105
They're still mad about the election I thinkMcspanky37
If that's the case they have been mad since 08. They need to get over themselves, and do the right thing for the first time in years.
nocoolnamejim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 nocoolnamejim
Could I get a list of what you consider to be "Pork" items in this relief bill DevilMightCry?
comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 comp_atkins

[QUOTE="C2N2"]

[QUOTE="Storm_Marine"]

Storm_Marine

*Summarize event.*

*Summarize event.*

then it's pretty evident the people elected the wrong newcomers if that is their character when faced with doing simple things to help fellow americans...
comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 comp_atkins

[QUOTE="comp_atkins"][QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]

sSubZerOo

.............. Its in the preamble of the Constitution of the United States.. Another words the FIRST three words.

oh. :|
DevilMightCry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 DevilMightCry

http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-action/house/277379-50-billion-sandy-bill-splits-gop-but-clears-the-house#ixzz2I5vdh1mKTE

Could I get a list of what you consider to be "Pork" items in this relief bill DevilMightCry?nocoolnamejim
You can look at the bill at full length at Congress' website if you'd like. The biggest pork came from Republicans and the house asked for a clean bill simply for relief, but were denied. So this notion that they blocked it because of Democrats is absurd and shows how little you care about current events and politics in general. To make matters worse the CBO said that 90% of the actual funds are not going to be spent now, but next year. So much for immediate relief.

CommanderShiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 CommanderShiro
Member since 2005 • 21746 Posts

This is quite sad.

nocoolnamejim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 nocoolnamejim

http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-action/house/277379-50-billion-sandy-bill-splits-gop-but-clears-the-house#ixzz2I5vdh1mKTE [quote="nocoolnamejim"]Could I get a list of what you consider to be "Pork" items in this relief bill DevilMightCry?DevilMightCry

You can look at the bill at full length at Congress' website if you'd like. The biggest pork came from Republicans and the house asked for a clean bill simply for relief, but were denied. So this notion that they blocked it because of Democrats is absurd and shows how little you care about current events and politics in general. To make matters worse the CBO said that 90% of the actual funds are not going to be spent now, but next year. So much for immediate relief.

Still waiting for a list of the pork items.
DevilMightCry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 DevilMightCry

[QUOTE="DevilMightCry"]

http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-action/house/277379-50-billion-sandy-bill-splits-gop-but-clears-the-house#ixzz2I5vdh1mKTE [quote="nocoolnamejim"]Could I get a list of what you consider to be "Pork" items in this relief bill DevilMightCry?nocoolnamejim

www.google.com

$150 million for fisheries in Alaska damaged by the 2011 Japanese tsunami,

$41 million to repair military bases including Guantanamo Bay

$2 million to fix a roof at the Smithsonian Museum in Washington, D.C.

$13 billion for future flood preparations (money that will not be spent on victims of Sandy

Just a few I know of. But the issue is that there were no cuts to offset the pork. If it was just a clean bill you'd have almost no opposition. Or at least some balanced cuts with soending.

EasyStreet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 EasyStreet
Member since 2003 • 11672 Posts

It is time for the blue states of america to stop support the welfare states of America.

C2N2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 C2N2

[QUOTE="nocoolnamejim"][QUOTE="DevilMightCry"] You can look at the bill at full length at Congress' website if you'd like. The biggest pork came from Republicans and the house asked for a clean bill simply for relief, but were denied. So this notion that they blocked it because of Democrats is absurd and shows how little you care about current events and politics in general. To make matters worse the CBO said that 90% of the actual funds are not going to be spent now, but next year. So much for immediate relief.

DevilMightCry

www.google.com

$13 billion for future flood preparations (money that will not be spent on victims of Sandy

Just a few I know of. But the issue is that there were no cuts to offset the pork. If it was just a clean bill you'd have almost no opposition. Or at least some balanced cuts with soending.

Don't really see how that "pork" is bad... And considering two of those are about money going to Alaska and the military, I highly doubt House Republicans are not involved in creating that pork.

nocoolnamejim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 nocoolnamejim

[QUOTE="nocoolnamejim"][QUOTE="DevilMightCry"] You can look at the bill at full length at Congress' website if you'd like. The biggest pork came from Republicans and the house asked for a clean bill simply for relief, but were denied. So this notion that they blocked it because of Democrats is absurd and shows how little you care about current events and politics in general. To make matters worse the CBO said that 90% of the actual funds are not going to be spent now, but next year. So much for immediate relief.

DevilMightCry

www.google.com

That's kind of what I was wondering about. The word "pork" creates an impression of completely wasteful spending that is not being used on important or necessary things. From the looks of the items that you mentioned, there might be some minor things that could be called "pork" like the $2M to fix the roof of the Smithsonian (although that could be considered a historic landmark), but the actual percentage of things that most people would call "pork" to USEFUL SH1T like "$13 billion for future floor preparations" sounds pretty low to me. And there are NEVER offsetting "cuts" in disaster relief bills. Why? Because deciding what to cut and getting people to AGREE ON IT takes a lot of time and effort and generally that's something that is at a premium in the aftermath of natural disasters. Deciding whether to cut $60 billion out of the defense department or $60 billion out of Social Security are politicized issues that have no place in discussions on swiftly funding disaster bills.
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#90 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

[QUOTE="DevilMightCry"]

[QUOTE="nocoolnamejim"] Still waiting for a list of the pork items. nocoolnamejim

www.google.com

That's kind of what I was wondering about. The word "pork" creates an impression of completely wasteful spending that is not being used on important or necessary things. From the looks of the items that you mentioned, there might be some minor things that could be called "pork" like the $2M to fix the roof of the Smithsonian (although that could be considered a historic landmark), but the actual percentage of things that most people would call "pork" to USEFUL SH1T like "$13 billion for future floor preparations" sounds pretty low to me. And there are NEVER offsetting "cuts" in disaster relief bills. Why? Because deciding what to cut and getting people to AGREE ON IT takes a lot of time and effort and generally that's something that is at a premium in the aftermath of natural disasters. Deciding whether to cut $60 billion out of the defense department or $60 billion out of Social Security are politicized issues that have no place in discussions on swiftly funding disaster bills.

Well said. DevilMightCry and other conservatives are just making excuses.

DevilMightCry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 DevilMightCry
[QUOTE="DevilMightCry"]

[QUOTE="nocoolnamejim"] Still waiting for a list of the pork items. nocoolnamejim

www.google.com

Then just have a bill for Sandy storm relief. If I followed your logic why have specific bills in the first place? Just pass a $10 trillion bill covering all future disaster for the next 20years so the appropriate agencies don't have to face stonewalling Congress. At what point do we get serious about our debt?
nocoolnamejim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 nocoolnamejim
[QUOTE="nocoolnamejim"][QUOTE="DevilMightCry"] www.google.com

DevilMightCry

Then just have a bill for Sandy storm relief. If I followed your logic why have specific bills in the first place? Just pass a $10 trillion bill covering all future disaster for the next 20years so the appropriate agencies don't have to face stonewalling Congress. At what point do we get serious about our debt?

Some time when it is NOT right after a natural disaster. And things like $13 billion to help protect Americans and mitigate the damage of the NEXT natural disaster is not wasteful pork spending that needs to be offset. This is just a group of ideologues casting about for ANYTHING that they can find that they think will give them leverage to try and cut into entitlements and the like.
comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 comp_atkins
[QUOTE="nocoolnamejim"][QUOTE="DevilMightCry"] www.google.com

DevilMightCry

was the smithsonian roof damaged during sandy?
DevilMightCry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 DevilMightCry
[QUOTE="comp_atkins"][QUOTE="DevilMightCry"][QUOTE="nocoolnamejim"] That's kind of what I was wondering about. The word "pork" creates an impression of completely wasteful spending that is not being used on important or necessary things. From the looks of the items that you mentioned, there might be some minor things that could be called "pork" like the $2M to fix the roof of the Smithsonian (although that could be considered a historic landmark), but the actual percentage of things that most people would call "pork" to USEFUL SH1T like "$13 billion for future floor preparations" sounds pretty low to me. And there are NEVER offsetting "cuts" in disaster relief bills. Why? Because deciding what to cut and getting people to AGREE ON IT takes a lot of time and effort and generally that's something that is at a premium in the aftermath of natural disasters. Deciding whether to cut $60 billion out of the defense department or $60 billion out of Social Security are politicized issues that have no place in discussions on swiftly funding disaster bills.

was the smithsonian roof damaged during sandy?

Nope.
Abbeten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 Abbeten
Member since 2012 • 3140 Posts
it is very important to delay relief money to quibble over a few billion in spending that a few people might not approve of very very important
UCF_Knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 UCF_Knight
Member since 2010 • 6863 Posts
I'd like to meet a hardcore conservative that lost their home to Sandy, yet is happy they're receiving less aid because of the national debt. It would be a personal liberal view in support of a conservative idea. Its like liberconception.
DevilMightCry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 DevilMightCry
[QUOTE="UCF_Knight"]I'd like to meet a hardcore conservative that lost their home to Sandy, yet is happy they're receiving less aid because of the national debt. It would be a personal liberal view in support of a conservative idea. Its like liberconception.

If you lost your home in NJ you would be covered by mandatory insurance, and so would your personal items and cars. So tell me why I should pay for that?
XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts

[QUOTE="UCF_Knight"]I'd like to meet a hardcore conservative that lost their home to Sandy, yet is happy they're receiving less aid because of the national debt. It would be a personal liberal view in support of a conservative idea. Its like liberconception.DevilMightCry
If you lost your home in NJ you would be covered by mandatory insurance, and so would your personal items and cars. So tell me why I should pay for that?

Except that insurance companies can still try and dick you over even with mandatory insurance. "You" should pay for that because its a government's job to provide for the safety and well-being of a community at large. A large natural disaster is a reasonable cause of government intervention.

DevilMightCry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 DevilMightCry

[QUOTE="DevilMightCry"][QUOTE="UCF_Knight"]I'd like to meet a hardcore conservative that lost their home to Sandy, yet is happy they're receiving less aid because of the national debt. It would be a personal liberal view in support of a conservative idea. Its like liberconception.XaosII

"You" should pay for that because its a government's job to provide for the safety and well-being of a community at large. A large natural disaster is a reasonable cause of government intervention.

I disagree.
whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#100 whipassmt
Member since 2007 • 15375 Posts

Actually I thought the House passed a $27 billion Sandy relief bill a few months ago, but the Senate didn't vote on the House's bill. Then the House passed a $9.7 billion Sandy relief bill earlier this month.

From what I understand part of the reason House Republicans opposed the Senate's version of the Sandy Relief bill (which was some $90 billion or so) was because it included tons of "pork" spending that was unrelated to Hurricane Sandy such as money from Amtrak. Congressman Huelskamp explained the various pork spending in the senate bill and why so many republicans opposed that bill on World Over Live with Raymond Arroyo recently. The video can be found here, Arroyo's interview with Huelskamp starts at about 10 minutes, 30 seconds into the video.