This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by br0kenrabbit (12820 posts) -

I eat peppers like candy. Jalapenos are nothing, if it's not at least a habanero I'm not gonna feel it. I've always loved peppers, even as a kid.

I gravitate to spicy food like a pregnant woman to pickles and ice cream. I can't get enough of it. Challenge me and I'll accept just for the experience. I've been called a masochist, a show-off and even deranged, but I love the feel of my mouth on fire. It brings out all the flavor and texture in the food because my mouth parts are just raging with sensitivity after a nice hot chemical bath.

I only win if I sweat.

Who are my fellow iron stomachs here on OT, and what is your favorite spicy food? I'm not asking what the hottest thing you've ever had is, I'm asking what best exemplifies why you love the spicy?

I'm going to have to go with the classic restaurant-style white cheese dip and habanero slices on tortilla chips. So simple yet so, so delicious.

#2 Edited by iampenguin (223 posts) -

Nothing like you but I like fresh chilli from time to time and yes that includes habaneros.

#3 Edited by Kats_RK (2079 posts) -

I just eat chili peppers with a bit of salt.It's really nice you should try it.

#4 Edited by LoG-Sacrament (20397 posts) -

it's fun every now and then to just go pure heat, but i normally prefer something that doesn't overpower the flavor. the best spicy food i've ever had was probably some ribs i had at a rib fair, smoked and with a nice barbeque sauce.

#5 Posted by s_h_a_d_o (1288 posts) -

A good, strong wasabi (and raw fish). ;)

#6 Posted by konvikt_17 (22163 posts) -

am a fan of spicy foods

Buffalo Wild Wings Mango Habanero wings are amazing

#7 Posted by Yama (34101 posts) -

am a fan of spicy foods

While not that spicy, definitely the best tasting thing on the menu. Kudos.

#8 Posted by HappinessForYou (26 posts) -

Hot spicy sizzlers with lots of chilli flakes and pepper powder.

#9 Posted by touchscreenpad (220 posts) -

Spicy Chicken, Spicy Fried Squid, I put a lot of pepper on pizza...as long as it's spicy enough for me to be actually enjoy the food and not just enduring the spiciness...I also put that uhh...chili sauce thing or just chili on rice at times.

#10 Edited by konvikt_17 (22163 posts) -

@Yama said:

@konvikt_17 said:

am a fan of spicy foods

While not that spicy, definitely the best tasting thing on the menu. Kudos.

i find em a good mix. not overly spicy, and not overly sweet/tangy.

Those Blazin ones though, hottest thing ive eaten.

#11 Posted by MrGeezer (56105 posts) -

I eat peppers like candy. Jalapenos are nothing, if it's not at least a habanero I'm not gonna feel it. I've always loved peppers, even as a kid.

I gravitate to spicy food like a pregnant woman to pickles and ice cream. I can't get enough of it. Challenge me and I'll accept just for the experience. I've been called a masochist, a show-off and even deranged, but I love the feel of my mouth on fire. It brings out all the flavor and texture in the food because my mouth parts are just raging with sensitivity after a nice hot chemical bath.

I only win if I sweat.

Who are my fellow iron stomachs here on OT, and what is your favorite spicy food? I'm not asking what the hottest thing you've ever had is, I'm asking what best exemplifies why you love the spicy?

I'm going to have to go with the classic restaurant-style white cheese dip and habanero slices on tortilla chips. So simple yet so, so delicious.

The funny thing is, I have a pretty high tolerance for really spicy stuff, but I don't really LIKE it. It hurts, and on some level the pain is actually comforting, so I can totally eat really hot foods and be "okay" with it.

But honestly, I prefer toning down the spiciness to a level where it isn't DOMINATING. I just feel like with a lot of the most spicy things I've eaten, there isn't a good balance. I feel like the spiciness should complement the flavor and the flavor should compliment the spiciness. You know, there should be a balance, they should work in tandem. But a lt of times I find that people just put all of their effort into making it as hot as they f***ing can, and ignore how the different efforts work together to create a singular experience. Yeah, I haven't had a spicy food that I couldn't handle, but usually in the extreme cases the taste doesn't f***ing matter one bit. It's drowned out by the spiciness, all I'm tasting is "hot".

It's sort of like gore movies. Yeah, I can handle gore movies. But when movies are REALLY gory, I often find that the filmmakers put all their eggs in one basket. So...yeah it's gory, but the gore is all that there is to it. The story sucked, the acting sucked, the directing sucked, the writing sucked, the cinematography sucked.

#12 Edited by tocool340 (20483 posts) -

A fellow iron stomach brother checking in. I also accept any challenge a person gives when eating hot/spicy food.Still haven't been defeated yet although I came pretty close a couple years ago. Met a dude who also like spicy foods and likes applying hot sauce on his meals. Dude got a hold of some hot sauce...I forget the brands name...that's guaranteed to make you sweat. I had tried some on a slice of pizza from Pizza hut and damn was that shit potent. Almost made me curl up into a ball lol....

Gotta say that I LOVE eating spicy stuff when its cold outside. Like that feeling of eating spicy barbeque chicken or my favorite Subway Meatball Marinara with nothing but a lot of Jalapeno's on it then stepping outside to watch the smoke blow out my mouth like its on fire....

Also, I really, really, REALLY HATE these Gamespot forum glitches and problems. I can't edit anything in the middle of a paragraph since the cursor automatically wraps to very end of the post when I attempt it. That means I need to erase EVERYTHING up til that point in order to type in something new in the middle of a sentence or paragraph....

#13 Posted by iampenguin (223 posts) -

@Kats_RK said:

I just eat chili peppers with a bit of salt.It's really nice you should try it.

I'm gona try that the next time I have some

#14 Edited by Bikouchu35 (7344 posts) -
#15 Posted by GazaAli (22503 posts) -

Although I don't have high tolerance for spiciness, I love spicy food. A moderate amount of heat in food helps releasing bringing out the flavors and enhance my tasting puds. It makes the overall experience of dining much more enjoyable and gratifying.

But the keyword here is moderate. If its too much for me to handle, I get insane hiccups and my eyes start tearing and my face is all red. Even my ears start to hurt.

#16 Edited by lamprey263 (23096 posts) -

Have you tried THE MAN sauce? Sounds up your alley.

#17 Posted by CommanderShiro (21746 posts) -

I do enjoy spicy food every now and then. Especially wings and curry.

#18 Edited by NightlyOne (318 posts) -

I gorge on anything "buffalo", especially buffalo chicken strips. Also love loading sushi with wasabi and sandwiches with jalapenos whenever I can.

Anyone ever try Dave's Insanity Sauce? A single drop of it is absolute thermonuclear warfare.

#19 Posted by SolidSnake35 (58095 posts) -

Pointless. You eat spicy food, then none spicy food tastes boring. So then you eat spicier food... and even spicier food... until everything is tasteless.

#20 Posted by Makhaidos (1613 posts) -

I tend to avoid spicy food due to gastrointestinal ulcers I've had since I was a teen. I do love me some Sriracha sauce, though.

#21 Posted by Crunchy_Nuts (2749 posts) -
#22 Edited by comp_atkins (31263 posts) -

i don't eat spicy food. if your mouth is telling you something is painful to eat.. it's telling you something useful...

#23 Posted by 3eyedrazorback (16373 posts) -

I love some spicy food. At least up until the point where it hurts worse coming out than it did coming in.

#24 Posted by thegerg (14828 posts) -

Pointless. You eat spicy food, then none spicy food tastes boring. So then you eat spicier food... and even spicier food... until everything is tasteless.

That's stupid. That's like saying "You eat sweet food, then none sweet food tastes boring. So then you eat sweeter food... and even sweeter food... until everything is tasteless."

Don't be a moron.

#25 Posted by Pirate700 (46465 posts) -

I love spicy food, but I can't eat it at the level I used to be able to when I was younger. I don't have the cast iron gi tract I once did.

#26 Posted by br0kenrabbit (12820 posts) -

@MrGeezer said:

The funny thing is, I have a pretty high tolerance for really spicy stuff, but I don't really LIKE it. It hurts, and on some level the pain is actually comforting, so I can totally eat really hot foods and be "okay" with it.

But honestly, I prefer toning down the spiciness to a level where it isn't DOMINATING. I just feel like with a lot of the most spicy things I've eaten, there isn't a good balance. I feel like the spiciness should complement the flavor and the flavor should compliment the spiciness. You know, there should be a balance, they should work in tandem. But a lt of times I find that people just put all of their effort into making it as hot as they f***ing can, and ignore how the different efforts work together to create a singular experience. Yeah, I haven't had a spicy food that I couldn't handle, but usually in the extreme cases the taste doesn't f***ing matter one bit. It's drowned out by the spiciness, all I'm tasting is "hot".

It's sort of like gore movies. Yeah, I can handle gore movies. But when movies are REALLY gory, I often find that the filmmakers put all their eggs in one basket. So...yeah it's gory, but the gore is all that there is to it. The story sucked, the acting sucked, the directing sucked, the writing sucked, the cinematography sucked.

I dunno, it seems the spicier something is the more I taste. It excites my taste buds or something, makes them super-sensitive.

Maybe it's genetic.

#27 Posted by br0kenrabbit (12820 posts) -

Anyone ever try Dave's Insanity Sauce? A single drop of it is absolute thermonuclear warfare.

I haven't tried Dave's, but I've still got most of a bottle of Blair's 3AM Reserve. The only thing I use it on is chilli, and even then I use a toothpick to measure out a few small drops. Trust me, it's plenty.

#28 Edited by Dogswithguns (10700 posts) -

Hot yeah, hot and spicy foods are my fave.

#29 Posted by MrGeezer (56105 posts) -

@MrGeezer said:

I dunno, it seems the spicier something is the more I taste. It excites my taste buds or something, makes them super-sensitive.

Maybe it's genetic.

Or maybe I've just never had any really spicy food that was actually GOOD.

#30 Edited by br0kenrabbit (12820 posts) -

@MrGeezer said:

Or maybe I've just never had any really spicy food that was actually GOOD.

'Tis a shame, really, that one should suffer so long in life without actually enjoying a chemical nuclear assault on ones innards.

#31 Edited by sukraj (22089 posts) -

I love spicy food

#32 Posted by WiiCubeM1 (4727 posts) -

Ghost Peppers. Never eating that shit again.

But I do like spicy food.

#33 Posted by Lord_Daemon (24233 posts) -

For me spicy hotness in a food never adds to the flavor and only serves to greatly hinder my enjoyment of the meal, so I avoid anything other than a mildly spicy level.

#34 Posted by lensflare15 (6174 posts) -

I love spicy foods. Don't have them very often though

#35 Posted by ArmoredCore55 (23820 posts) -

Not really into it, but I like stuff like sausage, garlic bread, and some cinnamon things if that counts.

#36 Posted by leviathan91 (7763 posts) -

Serrano peppers are the shit, especially on Potbelly sandwiches but red hot chili peppers will always be my favorite pepper. I usually eat it on sandwiches but I do like to mix it up with mixed veggies, sausages, or sometimes breakfast.

There's also these type of chips that are extremely hot. I believe their Route 11 Chips with a hot chick on the cover. That combined with an Italian sandwich with peppers is extremely hot but very delicious.

Also, I hate it when establishments offer banana peppers as "hot" peppers. They're not hot and they suck.

#37 Posted by lamprey263 (23096 posts) -

I like jalapenos for flavor, but as far as making things spicy they do very little, habanero peppers and ghost chilies give me the burn I desire, but they're not very flavorful by themselves, jalapenos are good for flavoring though I wish I could find some hybrid of habanero or ghost chili with the flavor of a jalapeno.

#38 Posted by TAMKFan (32726 posts) -

I don't eat much of anything that could be considered spicy, other than chili. There were also these kind of barbecue chips I would often eat, but they don't have those around anymore.

#39 Posted by SolidSnake35 (58095 posts) -

@thegerg said:

@SolidSnake35 said:

That's stupid. That's like saying "You eat sweet food, then none sweet food tastes boring. So then you eat sweeter food... and even sweeter food... until everything is tasteless."

Don't be a moron.

Except I don't see people attempting to eat sweeter and sweeter food. Whereas some people spice up their food until their testicles implode.

#40 Edited by foxhound_fox (87624 posts) -

Drop of capsaicin extract on the tongue. DO IT

I'm not a spicy food kind of guy. I like the flavour of most peppers, just not the heat.

#41 Posted by Jake518 (217 posts) -

This is a tough question for me. I like a variety of spicy foods. I like sriracha sauce (love putting it on hot dogs). I really like Asian spicy cuisine the most out of other spicy cuisines. And if I remember correctly, there's a reason those who eat spicy food like doing so. I don't remember exactly what it is, but something gets released into the brain when you consume spicy food (like I said before, I am unsure of this).

#42 Posted by PernicioEnigma (5281 posts) -

@Jake518 said:

This is a tough question for me. I like a variety of spicy foods. I like sriracha sauce (love putting it on hot dogs). I really like Asian spicy cuisine the most out of other spicy cuisines. And if I remember correctly, there's a reason those who eat spicy food like doing so. I don't remember exactly what it is, but something gets released into the brain when you consume spicy food (like I said before, I am unsure of this).

I'm pretty sure spicy food triggers a release of endorphins in your brain, similar to how the Flavonoids in dark chocolate release endorphones. This is the chemical that makes you feel happy and gives you a sense of well-being.

#43 Posted by cain006 (8625 posts) -

I can eat spicy stuff but I don't really like it. At work they've been putting out some ghost chili salsa and I tried it and didn't think it was that spicy. I didn't think it tasted good and it made me feel pretty bad later and that usually happens when I eat spicy stuff so I usually avoid them.

#44 Posted by The_Power_of_X (450 posts) -

Spicy food lover here!

#45 Posted by coolkid93 (6715 posts) -

I loooove spicy food.