Holding in anger or letting it out

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by gamerguru100 (10403 posts) -

I've heard that suppressing anger is unhealthy, as well as letting it out. So what the hell are you supposed to do? This is just something that popped up in my head.

#2 Posted by johnd13 (7818 posts) -

If you can't calm yourself down I think it's better letting it out(in a harmless way ofc). When you're alone at home you can scream or you can even break sth. Video games are also a good way to let off some steam.

#3 Posted by Smashbrossive50 (2878 posts) -

It's psychologically unhealthy to hold anger,and my mother used to say that if a person hold that for a long time,stress will follow that person all day. I let it out by either slamming the table with maximum force or punch the wall til it cracks.

#4 Posted by KiIIyou (27111 posts) -

Its a lot like peeing, you dont just hold your pee in till you go in your pants. Gotta go in atleast a bucket. So whenever you get angry and have the need to release it, do it in a controlled way, like beating your bed until youre exausted with a bat and screaming the whole time.

#5 Edited by Angry_Mushroom (702 posts) -

Or... you could just let it go. Most of the time the anger just isn't worth releasing or holding... it's not worth acting on it. Just take a breath, "Say F*ck it," and don't worry about it. Thinking back... every time I've ever gotten angry about something, it just wasn't worth staying angry over it.

#6 Posted by BiancaDK (18297 posts) -

Acting out on anger in a physically violent manner does not "release" the anger, despite what the above well-intended posters would have you believe. Doing so will only serve to enforce a physically violent ritual which you will gradually become more inclined to adopt as a measure of resolve whenever you feel angry. The release in this setting stems from rationalizing your situation. You're not a hermetically sealed tank containing a gradually accumulating atmosphere with a release valve attached to you, so scrap the overly crude and naively simplistic solutions.

#7 Posted by konvikt_17 (22108 posts) -

What the Fuck did you just say to me!!!

I will End You!!!

#8 Edited by lonewolf604 (8513 posts) -

It depends what the outlet is. I've broken a couple of my guitars out of anger. And I've also broken mirror washrooms in clubs because I was letting out my anger during intoxication.

#9 Posted by Chow_Mein_Kampf (6651 posts) -

I try not to let anger get the best of me...........................

#10 Edited by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -

Find a hobby that requires physical activity.

Suppressing anger can be a bad thing, especially if you're in an altercation with another over something petty

#11 Posted by Lone_Wolf_Lance (121 posts) -

I just punch the table and swear a lot... like really a lot.

#12 Edited by Makhaidos (1611 posts) -

@BiancaDK said:

Acting out on anger in a physically violent manner does not "release" the anger, despite what the above well-intended posters would have you believe. Doing so will only serve to enforce a physically violent ritual which you will gradually become more inclined to adopt as a measure of resolve whenever you feel angry. The release in this setting stems from rationalizing your situation. You're not a hermetically sealed tank containing a gradually accumulating atmosphere with a release valve attached to you, so scrap the overly crude and naively simplistic solutions.

^ This guy/girl is correct. Research into anger and you'll find the exact same thing.

#13 Edited by touchscreenpad (220 posts) -

That's right, let it out harmlessly.

#14 Posted by Shmiity (4971 posts) -

I am almost always a soft-tempered guy. I never yell, or hit things. I don't think I have ever lost my sh*t against anyone. No matter how terrible they are. I am more of the guilt-trip kind of person. "How can I make this terrible human being feel badly, or feel badly about themselves" instead of yelling.

#15 Posted by sukraj (21641 posts) -

What the Fuck did you just say to me!!!

I will End You!!!

please be nice to me.

#16 Posted by GazaAli (22491 posts) -

Suppressing anger is really unhealthy. You become easily irritated and you eventually snap over a minor inconvenience, making people around you wonder whether you've gone completely nuts. In the case that you took it out on someone who mildly upset or irked you, or someone who did you no wrong at all, it would be really hard to try and explain yourself to them and seek forgiveness.

That much I do know. As of letting it out, I'm not sure how one goes about doing so without either making a fool of himself or pissing the crap out of people around him. One way or another, suppressed anger will make its way out, whether consciously or subconsciously and it will most likely cost you some to vent it out. Its nothing too serious or irreversible as long as its done in moderation, in both intensity and frequency and as long as its not morbid or something.

#17 Posted by AFBrat77 (24005 posts) -

Supressing anger usually leads to depression.

But changing your thinking can keep you from getting angry, therefore nothing to supress.