Highly disappoint that American Sniper is mostly fabricated

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Kevlar101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Kevlar101
Member since 2011 • 6316 Posts

Makes me want to cry.

I saw American Sniper tonight and....I had a mentality-changing revelation about the wars in the Middle-East, and the results and tragedy of them. I loved this movie while I was watching it, then....

...then it was all freaking ripped away. This movie awakened an ignorant part of my mind and changed my perspective on so many things, and then I read that article and a part of my optimism was crushed. Most of the elements of it were fabricated to the point of being almost entirely different from what actually happened. I have no idea why I'm so upset but god damn it this is disappointing. I still think it's a great movie with great themes, but...jeez. I'm a little taken aback.

Why does everything have to be a damn fabrication?

IMPORTANT EDIT: I apologize to anyone who saw this topic before I edited it profusely. I had a moment of weakness. There is no excuse for my immaturity, and I apologize.

Avatar image for TheWalkingGhost
TheWalkingGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 TheWalkingGhost
Member since 2012 • 6092 Posts

And yet you didn't explain why the movie pissed you off or what was wrong with it.

Kevlar101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Kevlar101

@TheWalkingGhost said:

And yet you didn't explain why the movie pissed you off or what was wrong with it.

That is because a MOD edited my title terribly to the point of changing its entire meaning. It originally said "I am highly disappointed that 'American Sniper' is bullshit" , as in, mostly fabricated.

TheWalkingGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 TheWalkingGhost

@Kevlar101 said:

@TheWalkingGhost said:

That is because a MOD edited my title terribly to the point of changing its entire meaning. It originally said "I am highly disappointed that 'American Sniper' is bullshit" , as in, mostly fabricated.

Ok. I have never seen it, what was false?

Kevlar101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Kevlar101

@TheWalkingGhost said:

@Kevlar101 said:

@TheWalkingGhost said:

I provided a link...like, right there...

TheWalkingGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 TheWalkingGhost

@Kevlar101 said:

@TheWalkingGhost said:

@Kevlar101 said:

@TheWalkingGhost said:

And to think Fox News is in a rage over the attacks the left is making on the film and Kyle. That article makes him look like a raging racist violent dbag.

Kevlar101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Kevlar101

@TheWalkingGhost said:

@Kevlar101 said:

@TheWalkingGhost said:

@Kevlar101 said:

@TheWalkingGhost said:

And to think Fox News is in a rage over the attacks the left is making on the film and Kyle. That article makes him look like a raging racist violent dbag.

Well, what is your assessment?

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#8  Edited By Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49566 Posts

Truly, I am not surprised to see Salon come out and try to discredit/bash this movie. This article is laughably desperate at seeking attention; I'm actually rather disappointed I gave it a click.

Kevlar101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Kevlar101

@Stevo_the_gamer said:

Truly, I am not surprised to see Salon come out and try to discredit/bash this movie. This article is laughably desperate at seeking attention; I'm actually rather disappointed I gave it a click.

It doesn't matter how much I edit the OP. It still sounds like whiny bitching. I am ashamed.

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#10  Edited By Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

lulz. wait...

you believe "based on a true story" movies?

good one.

also...

ooooooEEEEEEEEooooooo!

Kevlar101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Kevlar101

@Riverwolf007 said:

lulz. wait...

good one.

also...

ooooooEEEEEEEEooooooo!

Don't be an asshole.

I never believed that The Haunting in Connecticut was a true story, that has nothing to do with this.

I just expected something like American Sniper to be authentic for...a complicated reason. See, the only (I repeat, only) war stories put to film and called true stories that were actually true and not bullshit are Band of Brothers and The Pacific. Those are without any doubt as "true" as any so-called "true story" has been in a war film or TV show. I naturally assumed that American Sniper would be cut from the same cloth since it was based on a book written about the guy, and then it bothered to include video of Chris Kyle's funeral. Was I gullible? Yes, but I am just too optimistic about such things.

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

@Kevlar101 said:

@Riverwolf007 said:

lulz. wait...

good one.

also...

ooooooEEEEEEEEooooooo!

Don't be an asshole.

I never believed that The Haunting in Connecticut was a true story, that has nothing to do with this.

I just expected something like American Sniper to be authentic for...a complicated reason. See, the only (I repeat, only) war stories put to film and called true stories that were actually true and not bullshit are Band of Brothers and The Pacific. Those are without any doubt as "true" as any so-called "true story" has been in a war film or TV show. I naturally assumed that American Sniper would be cut from the same cloth since it was based on a book written about the guy, and then it bothered to include video of Chris Kyle's funeral. Was I gullible? Yes, but I am just too optimistic about such things.

come on man, why would it be authentic when a total of zero "true" books and movies that have any kind of "action-y" theme are not and have never been very accurate.

that ancient ass audie murphy movie "to hell and back" was probably one of the few that had any real truth to it and even it had inaccuracies and filler to make the movie flow.

the problem here for supposedly "true" military movies is that after action reports in themselves are not accurate but are just detailed eyewitness reports.

and as we all probably know eyewitness reports are mostly flatout bullshit.

people don't do it on purpose, they can't help but give bad eyewitness reports.

it's just the way our biology works.

basically when you see something you only see a "percentage"(for lack of a better way to get the idea across) of the actual event, then your mind subconsciously fills in the rest of the details.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/do-the-eyes-have-it/

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/eyewitness-how-accurate-is-visual-memory/

http://agora.stanford.edu/sjls/Issue%20One/fisher&tversky.htm

Kevlar101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Kevlar101

@Riverwolf007 said:

@Kevlar101 said:

@Riverwolf007 said:

lulz. wait...

good one.

also...

ooooooEEEEEEEEooooooo!

Don't be an asshole.

come on man, why would it be authentic when a total of zero "true" books and movies that have any kind of "action-y" theme are not and have never been very accurate.

that ancient ass audie murphy movie "to hell and back" was probably one of the few that had any real truth to it and even it had inaccuracies and filler to make the movie flow.

the problem here for supposedly "true" military movies is that after action reports in themselves are not accurate but are just detailed eyewitness reports.

and as we all probably know eyewitness reports are mostly flatout bullshit.

people don't do it on purpose, they can't help but give bad eyewitness reports.

it's just the way our biology works.

basically when you see something you only see a "percentage"(for lack of a better way to get the idea across) of the actual event, then your mind subconsciously fills in the rest of the details.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/do-the-eyes-have-it/

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/eyewitness-how-accurate-is-visual-memory/

http://agora.stanford.edu/sjls/Issue%20One/fisher&tversky.htm

I am already aware that our memory mostly bullshits us. We are only human.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#15  Edited By Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

@Kevlar101: I read the article, but half the reasons are more opinions about the message of the movie or the real life Kyle's character rather than factually incorrect aspects of the film or complete fabrications. I didn't interpret the 9/11 clip as the film trying to say that the Iraq War was in direct response 9/11, but rather that this was a galvanizing moment for the character to drive him to service. The enemy sniper bit seemed far fetched and like something that they would add to the story for tension so I'm not surprised that this part was largely made up.

Whether Kyle felt remorse or torment over his actions is kind of subjective. Even if his own book doesn't portray him that way, that's not proof as to his mindset so I wouldn't call this a "blatant lie" on the part of the film.

The last four are items in the list appear to be quantifiably false claims that were debunked, but they also weren't in the film.

I'm a stickler for accuracy in films that claim to be based on real events, but this article didn't really ruin the film for me

-Byshop

SUD123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By SUD123456
Member since 2007 • 6948 Posts

Meh, most of that article had nothing to do with either the film or book. The authenticity that the book and movie are praised for refers to whether the scenes capture the essence of the war. Whether any particular incident is entirely accurate is irrelevant in that context. It isn't meant to be: this is exactly what happened in the Iraq war. It is meant to be: this is what it was like in the Iraq war.

Also, LOL at cherry picking lines out of the book. Yes, he did write those things but he also wrote a lot more (context) which is required to actually understand him.

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#17  Edited By ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts

Fictional movie pisses you off because it's actually fictional. It ain't a documentary.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#18 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

Guardians of the galaxy is also mostly fabricated, I believe.

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#19 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts

@sonicare said:

Guardians of the galaxy is also mostly fabricated, I believe.

nah, I heard it was all shot live as it actually happened and then edited into movie form.

Drunk_PI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Drunk_PI
Member since 2014 • 3358 Posts

@Kevlar101: You should also watch Generation Kill. It's no bullshit, funny, highly offensive, and awesome. Although it doesn't have that much action, it's pretty much moot since it's based on the 2003 Invasion of Iraq.

With the amount of criticism on American Sniper, I'll probably pass on it and wait for a DVD release. Probably...

You know, Navy Seals are cool and all but I want to see a movie on the Green Berets. They're special operations but their mission is to train foreign allies to fight the enemy. Perhaps a movie based on the Green Berets' involvement in Afghanistan after 9/11 to find Hamid Karzai. Or maybe Vietnam. Green Berets are seriously underrated.

alim298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22 alim298
Member since 2012 • 2747 Posts

Wait this movie was based on a true story?

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#23 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14414 Posts

@corehard said:

its a american consipracy against muslim

Welcome back SNIPER. How's that colony on Mars working out?

Dakur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#24 Dakur
Member since 2014 • 3275 Posts

@Kevlar101: Nations use art and media as propaganda to support their wars and conflicts. Have been going on for the entire human history. Hollywood is a propaganda machine. That's no secret. You won't learn any accurate historical elements from Hollywood and you shouldn't expect to. That doesn't mean you can't enjoy a movie for entertainment but you should watch it knowing what to expect.

Drunk_PI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Drunk_PI
Member since 2014 • 3358 Posts

@dakur said:

@Kevlar101: Nations use art and media as propaganda to support their wars and conflicts. Have been going on for the entire human history. Hollywood is a propaganda machine. That's no secret. You won't learn any accurate historical elements from Hollywood and you shouldn't expect to. That doesn't mean you can't enjoy a movie for entertainment but you should watch it knowing what to expect.

Yeah, I was watching Platoon and it made me want to join the Vietnamese Army and fight the evil Americans....

Wait...

Hollywood is entertainment, pure and simple.