High School Education in US...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

biggerdjam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 biggerdjam
Member since 2011 • 372 Posts

I believe (and a lot of people should) that everyone should have an equal opportunity in Highschool education whether the students take advantage of what is offered/taught or not

But this is simply not the case. 

For instance, my old school in Louisiana, had no honors classes , no Advanced Placement classes, terrible teachers, and was bare minimum to the Louisiana highschool academic standards(which is like one of the lowest in the country to start with). Well like 20 or 30 minutes down the road, yea literally down the road, was another highschool that is the #1 highschool in the Parish, one of the best in the state, Honors for like EVERY class, around 7-8 Advanced Placement classes, really good teachers, so on and so fourth.  But you can't go to it if you do not live in their district

Lucky for me, i care about my education and how rigorous my curriculum is and how prepared i am for college, and talked to my mom and got me transferred to another Highschool. But the thing is, you have to live in that school district in order to go to THAT school. I don't think that is right. Especially for the people who want to expand their education and take harder/more advanced classes, are limited to the schools in there district.  You should have a right for a better education and go to the better school whether you live in that school district or not.  Like say you have to have your own transportation and get into no trouble.

Another thing is some Highschools have like TONS of AP's and teach math up to Calculus AB&BC and them some schools don't even have any AP's nor teach math up to that level...

Thoughts?

xdude85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 xdude85
Member since 2006 • 6559 Posts

High school's a joke.  I learned more in my study halls than I ever did in my actual classes.

TruthTellers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 TruthTellers
Member since 2012 • 3393 Posts
Well, I'm pretty sure Louisiana doesn't have any minimum wage laws. So, all they want from you is to push a button or pick things up in a warehouse for like, $5 an hour. You don't need a good education to do that stuff.
Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts
high school and college is a joke. I can't believe they make college students take 2 yrs of a foreign language - LOL money hungry school industrial complex. Luckily I didn't have to take quiet a few classes in college due to taking them in high school, but still - College in America seems so evil.
Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Fightingfan
Well, I'm pretty sure Louisiana doesn't have any minimum wage laws. So, all they want from you is to push a button or pick things up in a warehouse for like, $5 an hour. You don't need a good education to do that stuff.TruthTellers
Education has nothing to do with obtaining a high paying wage. Generally speaking hard labour jobs pay nothing due to the fact anyone can do them with little to no qualifications. I know the post office, railroad, and CDL industries require no high school diploma and pay more than most people with master degrees. I can't believe how little my professors get paid given the amount of debt they incurred to obtain their Phd/master degrees. My father simply has a high school diploma and lives a more luxurious life than most college grades due to the fact of the military benefits and his CDL license.
topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 topgunmv
Member since 2003 • 10880 Posts

high school and college is a joke. I can't believe they make college students take 2 yrs of a foreign language - LOL money hungry school industrial complex. Luckily I didn't have to take quiet a few classes in college due to taking them in high school, but still - College in America seems so evil. Fightingfan

I keep hearing that education is the next bubble to burst.

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Fightingfan

[QUOTE="Fightingfan"]high school and college is a joke. I can't believe they make college students take 2 yrs of a foreign language - LOL money hungry school industrial complex. Luckily I didn't have to take quiet a few classes in college due to taking them in high school, but still - College in America seems so evil. topgunmv

I hope - the government needs to get into it like they did healthcare. I can't believe people can't obtain a college simply because they can't afford it. Keep the dumb people dumb so you can take advantage of them I guess,huh?
TruthTellers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 TruthTellers
[QUOTE="TruthTellers"]Well, I'm pretty sure Louisiana doesn't have any minimum wage laws. So, all they want from you is to push a button or pick things up in a warehouse for like, $5 an hour. You don't need a good education to do that stuff.Fightingfan
Education has nothing to do with obtaining a high paying wage. Generally speaking hard labour jobs pay nothing due to the fact anyone can do them with little to no qualifications. I know the post office, railroad, and CDL industries require no high school diploma and pay more than most people with master degrees. I can't believe how little my professors get paid given the amount of debt they incurred to obtain their Phd/master degrees. My father simply has a high school diploma and lives a more luxurious life than most college grades due to the fact of the military benefits and his CDL license.

Believe me, I know that education and high wages mean jack sh*t. My point was that these southern states like Louisiana, Georgia, Alabama, etc. don't have minimum wage laws which means that if you do take those laborer positions, you're getting f*cked Deliverance style.
TruthTellers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 TruthTellers
[QUOTE="topgunmv"]

[QUOTE="Fightingfan"]high school and college is a joke. I can't believe they make college students take 2 yrs of a foreign language - LOL money hungry school industrial complex. Luckily I didn't have to take quiet a few classes in college due to taking them in high school, but still - College in America seems so evil. Fightingfan

I hope - the government needs to get into it like they did healthcare. I can't believe people can't obtain a college simply because they can't afford it. Keep the dumb people dumb so you can take advantage of them I guess,huh?

Now you're gettin it.
Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Fightingfan
^ I believe that's why the fed had to step in by implementing a national minimum wage, though the sad part is the standard of living isn't the same from city to city; I can't image state-to-state. I work at various clinics in the Miami metropolitan area, and I was asked to take a position for a week in a south beach, long story short.... I can't believe by simply driving 30mins a .50 cent can of soda turned into 2.50 simply because it's an area dominate by white people. Feel bad for the people who live in the Miami area, but I guess the white folks just have more money than cents lol.
TruthTellers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 TruthTellers
^ IMO and personal experience, I don't think it matters at all what you're education level is. No matter what, if you work for someone else, they are gonna f*ck you as much as possible. And if you want to work for yourself, the Gov't f*cks you harder with their tax code. So, you're f*cked regardless.
cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#12 cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

high school and college is a joke. I can't believe they make college students take 2 yrs of a foreign language - LOL money hungry school industrial complex. Luckily I didn't have to take quiet a few classes in college due to taking them in high school, but still - College in America seems so evil. Fightingfan
I have to take like 4 or 5 electives but literally every single other class is related to my major in some way.

And yeah it's crazy how unfair life is. My mom was the special education teacher at an elementary school in the city and hardly any of the kids had dads. A lot of the moms were on drugs, or were just awful at parenting (some of the moms would just do the homework for the kid - and occasionally do it wrong.) A lot of grandmothers raise the kids. And these children are going to end up a lot like their parents just because of the education system and their parents.

lx_theo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 lx_theo
Member since 2010 • 6211 Posts

Does anyone actually think that academic equality exists? How good they are all depends on funding. Funding is done through local taxes, which means how good the schools are will depend largely on how rich the area is.

Avatar image for GhettoBlastin92
GhettoBlastin92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 GhettoBlastin92
Member since 2012 • 1231 Posts
[QUOTE="Fightingfan"]high school and college is a joke. I can't believe they make college students take 2 yrs of a foreign language - LOL money hungry school industrial complex. Luckily I didn't have to take quiet a few classes in college due to taking them in high school, but still - College in America seems so evil.

I agree 1000%
Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Fightingfan

[QUOTE="Fightingfan"]high school and college is a joke. I can't believe they make college students take 2 yrs of a foreign language - LOL money hungry school industrial complex. Luckily I didn't have to take quiet a few classes in college due to taking them in high school, but still - College in America seems so evil. cain006

I have to take like 4 or 5 electives but literally every single other class is related to my major in some way.

And yeah it's crazy how unfair life is. My mom was the special education teacher at an elementary school in the city and hardly any of the kids had dads. A lot of the moms were on drugs, or were just awful at parenting (some of the moms would just do the homework for the kid - and occasionally do it wrong.) A lot of grandmothers raise the kids. And these children are going to end up a lot like their parents just because of the education system and their parents.

WTF are the point of electives in college? I simply took extra sciences that grade father into a BS in biology as I'm doing BS in chem and bio. *Not complete sentences cuz i dont give a fvck
WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 WhiteKnight77
Member since 2003 • 12605 Posts

[QUOTE="topgunmv"]

[QUOTE="Fightingfan"]high school and college is a joke. I can't believe they make college students take 2 yrs of a foreign language - LOL money hungry school industrial complex. Luckily I didn't have to take quiet a few classes in college due to taking them in high school, but still - College in America seems so evil. Fightingfan

The federal government is already involved at all levels, it will burst and cost taxpayers dearly.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

Does anyone actually think that academic equality exists? How good they are all depends on funding. Funding is done through local taxes, which means how good the schools are will depend largely on how rich the area is.

lx_theo

Basically.  Shows even in private schools. I went to a private college in Mass..  They poured money into just about every little thing.  Of course, money can't solve every issue, but it helps a lot of them.  That, and the corriculum in New England has a much better track record with quality of education in math/sciences than a lot of other areas. 

biggerdjam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 biggerdjam
Member since 2011 • 372 Posts

lx_theo
I don't think that is right. If you don't live in a rich area, then you will likely not have the opportunity to go to a good high school...
cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 cain006

[QUOTE="cain006"]

WTF are the point of electives in college? I simply took extra sciences that grade father into a BS in biology as I'm doing BS in chem and bio. *Not complete sentences cuz i dont give a fvck

They want you to be "a well rounded person." I know it's BS, but I think they do it to increase their graduates GPA and to get more money out of you. And you don't have to take a single class that's unrelated to your major? That sounds pretty awesome, I know I would've been better prepared for my co op job if I had taken more engineering type classes instead of electives.

mahlasor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 mahlasor
Member since 2010 • 1278 Posts

Schools are a joke, a really bad joke.  First of all, shouldnt it teach you what you need to know for your degree, why do you have to take all the random useless crap?  Oh wait, I know, so you will spend lots of money!  

cain006

They want you to be "a well rounded person." I know it's BS, but I think they do it to increase their graduates GPA and to get more money out of you. And you don't have to take a single class that's unrelated to your major? That sounds pretty awesome, I know I would've been better prepared for my co op job if I had taken more engineering type classes instead of electives.

I dont buy that CRAP!  You can make yourself a well rounded person, I did it.  I started becoming more well rounded AFTER college.  I realised that college was actually keeping me from becoming better.  Waste of time.

TruthTellers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 TruthTellers
They want you to be "a well rounded person." I know it's BS, but I think they do it to increase their graduates GPA and to get more money out of you. cain006
That's the exact reason. Colleges don't exist to educate the people, they exist TO MAKE MONEY!!!
Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Fightingfan

[QUOTE="Fightingfan"][QUOTE="cain006"]I have to take like 4 or 5 electives but literally every single other class is related to my major in some way.

cain006

Yeah, I didn't - any extra sciences simply counted as elective credits and science credits. I mean't grandfather into my other degree, but I guess u figured that out. I did take some BS classes like Composition if you count those requirements for your AA/GE
cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 cain006

[QUOTE="cain006"]

[QUOTE="Fightingfan"] WTF are the point of electives in college? I simply took extra sciences that grade father into a BS in biology as I'm doing BS in chem and bio. *Not complete sentences cuz i dont give a fvck Fightingfan

Yeah, I didn't - any extra sciences simply counted as elective credits and science credits. I mean't grandfather into my other degree, but I guess u figured that out. I did take some BS classes like Composition if you count those requirements for your AA/GE

To be honest english classes are pretty important. I know lots of engineers make fun of a lot of liberal arts majors but if you ask them to write a paper that's not technical it's generally going to be shit. Engineers have to be able to communicate info effectively and a lot of them aren't good at it.

Oh and my electives are basically required to not be related to science/math/engineering. I have to take like 4 classes in fine arts, history, humanities, literature, etc. They do let you double up on some classes like technical writing that you're required to take can also count as a class for literature or whatever. 

lordtree4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 lordtree4
Member since 2007 • 332 Posts

While I do feel that college costs are widely inflated, I do not share the belief that they are all in for the money. An example of which would be a school like MIT: http://web.mit.edu/facts/financial.html , 2.9 billion in revenue and 2.7 billion in expenditures doesn't sound like the most efficient bussiness if you ask me.

topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 topgunmv
Member since 2003 • 10880 Posts

[QUOTE="Fightingfan"][QUOTE="cain006"]They want you to be "a well rounded person." I know it's BS, but I think they do it to increase their graduates GPA and to get more money out of you. And you don't have to take a single class that's unrelated to your major? That sounds pretty awesome, I know I would've been better prepared for my co op job if I had taken more engineering type classes instead of electives.

cain006

To be honest english classes are pretty important. I know lots of engineers make fun of a lot of liberal arts majors but if you ask them to write a paper that's not technical it's generally going to be shit. Engineers have to be able to communicate info effectively and a lot of them aren't good at it.

Oh and my electives are basically required to not be related to science/math/engineering. I have to take like 4 classes in fine arts, history, humanities, literature, etc. They do let you double up on some classes like technical writing that you're required to take can also count as a class for literature or whatever. 

I've noticed that a lot of engineering articles on wikipedia are almost so bad that it reads like something put through google translate.

TruthTellers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 TruthTellers

[QUOTE="Fightingfan"][QUOTE="cain006"]They want you to be "a well rounded person." I know it's BS, but I think they do it to increase their graduates GPA and to get more money out of you. And you don't have to take a single class that's unrelated to your major? That sounds pretty awesome, I know I would've been better prepared for my co op job if I had taken more engineering type classes instead of electives.

cain006

I went for a manufacturing degree and the English classes were the most fun. They all had hot chicks in them :)

cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 cain006

[QUOTE="cain006"]

[QUOTE="Fightingfan"] Yeah, I didn't - any extra sciences simply counted as elective credits and science credits. I mean't grandfather into my other degree, but I guess u figured that out. I did take some BS classes like Composition if you count those requirements for your AA/GE topgunmv

I've noticed that a lot of engineering articles on wikipedia are almost so bad that it reads like something put through google translate.

I think the issue is that engineers are used to either being able to draw diagrams or explain stuff verbally. Ask them to put it on paper in mostly words and they're bad at it because that's not what they're used to. I mean heck even the engineer I worked for who's damn good at what he does and is great at explaining stuff to me wrote up some requirements docs and it takes me so long to figure out what he means. But I go over to talk to him and I immediately get it.

And I think the math stuff is the worst. I will be trying to find out about something I didn't quite get and I will leave more confused than I started.