Hi guys, please advise regarding dogs

• 90 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

@indzman said:

I still wonder why dogs suddenly behave like this? Is it the body scent or running or unwantedly entered its dominion? Why they feel threatened when i'm doing absolutely nothing to agitate them?

being in their territory is aggression in their eyes.

then you run and they chase.

it's really pretty simple.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#52 indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

@Riverwolf007 said:

@indzman said:

I still wonder why dogs suddenly behave like this? Is it the body scent or running or unwantedly entered its dominion? Why they feel threatened when i'm doing absolutely nothing to agitate them?

Oh, its really hard to figure what is thier territory in a open park lol. It charged me on the jogging path only. But yeah, this is one of the main reason i'm guessing.

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 Riverwolf007

@indzman said:

@Riverwolf007 said:

@indzman said:

Oh, its really hard to figure what is thier territory in a open park lol. It charged me on the jogging path only. But yeah, this is one of the main reason i'm guessing.

i have worked with and trained dogs for years.

it's pretty easy to shortcircuit their aggressive behavior.

but you would have to stop running to do it. only prey runs.

i come at this stuff from the dogs point of view and i can imagine he was looking at you and going "wtf is wrong with this idiot" "i pissed all over this place, what is he? smellblind?"

anyway don't look at it, talk to it or touch it and call animal control and get the poor thing off the streets.

the shelter will probably kill it but what can you do? not much unless you are ready to rehab it and take it into your home.

which is actually a good idea. street dogs make great pets. once you are in the pack they will do anything for you and dogs with a newly found home know what they have to lose if you are out of the picture.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 indzman

@Riverwolf007 said:

@indzman said:

@Riverwolf007 said:

@indzman said:

i come at this stuff from the dogs point of view and i can imagine he was looking at you and going "wtf is wrong with this idiot" "i pissed all over this place, what is he? smellblind?"

anyway don't look at it, talk to it or touch it and call animal control and get the poor thing off the streets.

the shelter will probably kill it but what can you do? not much unless you are ready to rehab it and take it into your home.

which is actually a good idea. street dogs make great pets. once you are in the pack they will do anything for you and dogs with a newly found home know what they have to lose if you are out of the picture.

amazing

Nah i don't wanna call animal control until and unless it harms me.

About stray dogs, i dunno aren't they full of diseases and untamable? You will know better, but don't think i can give it proper care or training. My freind sells dogs, those dogs are much safe bet for hygine and already home trained reasons for me if i'm getting a dog in future.My family also won't allow me to bring a stray dog at home.

But its good to hear street dogs make a great loyal pet if one make it so :)

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By MlauTheDaft
Member since 2011 • 5189 Posts

@indzman said:

@korvus said:

@indzman: Birds are fine. Cats can attack you but normally just decide you're not worth the effort =P but dogs can be dangerous, especially starving ones. I'd love to feed hummingbirds but there's none to be found in the area so I just feed the ducks, geese but particularly crows and ravens. I said feeding birds is fine but on second thought, think really hard before feeding seagulls XD

I can handle a angry kitty, i'll just kick it into oblivion as Saint Leonidas picture =P Heh

.... NO!!! NO!!!!!!!! NOT KITTY!

And about Seagulls..... One of them once snatched a delicious french hotdog straight out of my cute, adolescent hands; the bastard!

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 indzman

@MlauTheDaft said:

@indzman said:

@korvus said:

@indzman: Birds are fine. Cats can attack you but normally just decide you're not worth the effort =P but dogs can be dangerous, especially starving ones. I'd love to feed hummingbirds but there's none to be found in the area so I just feed the ducks, geese but particularly crows and ravens. I said feeding birds is fine but on second thought, think really hard before feeding seagulls XD

I can handle a angry kitty, i'll just kick it into oblivion as Saint Leonidas picture =P Heh

.... NO!!! NO!!!!!!!! NOT KITTY!

LOL

Be rest assured, i'm not even gonna try kicking puss in boots for reasons known =P

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#57 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

@indzman: I think @always_explicit and @Riverwolf007 gave you the best advice so far, so I would go with it....at least stop running and don't look at the dog (you won't outrun a dog and staring at it won't lower your chances of being attacked)

@MlauTheDaft: Do you think that you could have turned out normal if it wasn't for that incident? (Just teasing!)

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 MlauTheDaft

@korvus: Unfortunately, my parents made sure that I grew up with healthy amounts of ADHD ;) Actually, I do have that, but exercise keeps the demons away better than ritalin. Very subtle pun right there ;)

@indzman: Do beware of the puss mate ;) that thing is powered by latino loving :p

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By indzman

@korvus said:

@indzman: I think @always_explicit and @Riverwolf007 gave you the best advice so far, so I would go with it....at least stop running and don't look at the dog (you won't outrun a dog and staring at it won't lower your chances of being attacked)

You gave great idea too about calling animal control if the dog again tries something.

I appreciated all the responses from all the posters who advised :)

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 indzman

@MlauTheDaft said:

@indzman: Do beware of the puss mate ;) that thing is powered by latino loving :p

Awww i love kitties, most harmless and cutest amongst animals i don't think any of em gonna attack me EVER. But i'm not sure if they will give up on eating my precious birds or fishes tho, its thier natural instinct to prey on em lol.

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 Riverwolf007

@indzman said:

@Riverwolf007 said:

@indzman said:

@Riverwolf007 said:

@indzman said:

amazing

About stray dogs, i dunno aren't they full of diseases and untamable? You will know better, but don't think i can give it proper care or training. My freind sells dogs, those dogs are much safe bet for hygine and already home trained reasons for me if i'm getting a dog in future.My family also won't allow me to bring a stray dog at home.

they are only full of disease and un-trainable if you don't take them to the vet and take time to train them.

right now i have two dobermans. one that i received when he was 3 and seized from an abuse household where he was chained up, completely un-socialized, beaten, starved and chewed up by the other dogs there and one that was seized as a puppy from a puppy mill and the abused dog is by far the better of the two.

i was called in because he kept failing adoptions and was going to be put down and i just went on ahead and kept him because i knew it would be a longer road than a normal person would want to deal with.

he treats obeying commands and house rules like a life and death matter and while it took over a year with me for him to really trust me once he did he was as safe and loving to be around as any dog i have ever seen.

the female that i got as a puppy is a great dog and does her best but she will never be the dog the male is.

how could she be? she does not know the stakes. she has never been hungry, or cold or hurt or scared in her life.

she just thinks that's the way life is,

warm and comfortable and safe, the male knows better and treats the family with way more respect and deference because of that.

i have seen that happen with dozens of rescue dogs and maybe it is just silly rationalization or personification or whatever but i believe that dogs that know the stakes and have seen hardships are just flat out better dogs depending on the person handling the dog.

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By MlauTheDaft

This thread has officially warmed my heart guys :) Well done, and I hope you fix your canine issue @indzman :) Sometimes, we need a like button around here.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By indzman

@Riverwolf007 said:

@indzman said:

@Riverwolf007 said:

@indzman said:

@Riverwolf007 said:

@indzman said:

amazing

they are only full of disease and un-trainable if you don't take them to the vet and take time to train them.

right now i have two dobermans. one that i received when he was 3 and seized from an abuse household where he was chained up, completely un-socialized, beaten, starved and chewed up by the other dogs there and one that was seized as a puppy from a puppy mill and the abused dog is by far the better of the two.

i was called in because he kept failing adoptions and was going to be put down and i just went on ahead and kept him because i knew it would be a longer road than a normal person would want to deal with.

he treats obeying commands and house rules like a life and death matter and while it took over a year with me for him to really trust me once he did he was as safe and loving to be around as any dog i have ever seen.

the female that i got as a puppy is a great dog and does her best but she will never be the dog the male is.

how could she be? she does not know the stakes. she has never been hungry, or cold or hurt or scared in her life.

she just thinks that's the way life is,

warm and comfortable and safe, the male knows better and treats the family with way more respect and deference because of that.

i have seen that happen with dozens of rescue dogs and maybe it is just silly rationalization or personification or whatever but i believe that dogs that know the stakes and have seen hardships are just flat out better dogs depending on the person handling the dog.

You have a heart of gold when it comes down to animals my freind. Kudos to you on saving the poor, starving dog. But yeah if feel really bad about a stray dog or a stray dog saving me somehow i'd really adopt one for emotional reasons.

Great pics of your dogs, what are thier names ? :)

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 indzman

@MlauTheDaft said:

This thread has officially warmed my heart guys :) Well done, and I hope you fix your canine issue @indzman :) Sometimes, we need a like button around here.

Someone made a thread about like/dislike button lately , on bugs and feedbacks forum or OT i forgot. Staff is working on the idea as they claimed, not sure if they will really implement it or not :)

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Riverwolf007

ugh terrible pic of rasa showing off some of his skull puncture woundsthese are better.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 indzman

@Riverwolf007 said:

ugh terrible pic of rasa showing off some of his skull puncture woundsthese are better.

Awww, rasa and his companion look great in the new pictures. Lucky you :)

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 Riverwolf007

the red male's name is tabula rasa, and i call him rasa (rah-sah) and the blk and tan female is victoria and i call her tori.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 deactivated-5b797108c254e

@Riverwolf007: beautiful dogs. You're ok in my book; thank you for rescuing them =D

@MlauTheDaft: Sometimes saying "**** medication" is the only thing you can do. When I had OCD the only way I could get rid of it was to stop medication and deal with the problem myself (I'm not advising anyone to ignore their doctor's orders...just because it was right for me doesn't mean it's the right thing to do at all times)

@indzman: I'm all up for a like feature but I have my reservations about an dislike one...we really don't really need to encourage people to be asses (people are managing that just fine on their own)...Like something? Give the poster a like to let him know. Don't like it? Move along and ignore it. That's my take on it anyway.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 indzman

@korvus said:

@indzman: I'm all up for a like feature but I have my reservations about an dislike one...we really don't really need to encourage people to be asses (people are managing that just fine on their own)...Like something? Give the poster a like to let him know. Don't like it? Move along and ignore it. That's my take on it anyway.

Reminds me about youtube videos, in a majority liked videos by users, there are always thumbed down dislikes also lol. Say most gave thumbs up to a video about bruce lee defeating chuck norris in return of the dragon movie, there are some dislike buttons also. Comments say they come from the cat watching the whole fight lol lol lol.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 deactivated-5b797108c254e

@indzman: The thumbs down were from Chuck Norris. There's always people who will have a different opinion from the majority and that's fine; it's the assholes who go to videos just for the sole purpose of downvoting because they don't like a certain person that annoy me. But nothing on YT is as annoying as the "animal rights" people who go to all videos of someone tickling a kitten shouting "animal violence!"

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 indzman

@korvus said:

@indzman: The thumbs down were from Chuck Norris. There's always people who will have a different opinion from the majority and that's fine; it's the assholes who go to videos just for the sole purpose of downvoting because they don't like a certain person that annoy me. But nothing on YT is as annoying as the "animal rights" people who go to all videos of someone tickling a kitten shouting "animal violence!"

Yup, morons everywhere lol.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts

Basic animal power display. Make yourself as big and loud as you can. It's going to back down if you make it think you're the dominant one.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 indzman

@darkspineslayer said:

Basic animal power display. Make yourself as big and loud as you can. It's going to back down if you make it think you're the dominant one.

I'm scared in all honesty, don't think i can yell at a dog in such sitution :(

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 deactivated-5b797108c254e

@indzman: I think the solution is obvious...you wake up really early, take a flight to the Netherlands, we'll jog together then you go back home...you can even have lunch at my place first.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 indzman

@korvus said:

@indzman: I think the solution is obvious...you wake up really early, take a flight to the Netherlands, we'll jog together then you go back home...you can even have lunch at my place first.

I really really wish i could do that. Thanks for your offer, its on my dreamlist now:)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 deactivated-5b797108c254e

@indzman: If you ever do visit the Netherlands you're definitely invited to spend a day or 2 with me and the wife =D Also, please update us on the dog situation when you can, I worry about you...not so much for your safety because I think that dog won't actually bite you but for the stress it causes you. Being afraid of a dog you can't avoid meeting sucks, I got attacked by one of these when I was 6. His owner lived on my street and this bear would just jump over the fence when he saw kids. Was scared shitless of dogs for years to come.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 indzman

@korvus said:

@indzman: If you ever do visit the Netherlands you're definitely invited to spend a day or 2 with me and the wife =D Also, please update us on the dog situation when you can, I worry about you...not so much for your safety because I think that dog won't actually bite you but for the stress it causes you. Being afraid of a dog you can't avoid meeting sucks, I got attacked by one of these when I was 6. His owner lived on my street and this bear would just jump over the fence when he saw kids. Was scared shitless of dogs for years to come.

Dunno if its karma or not , i drove over a dog once killing it instantly on the spot, fault was dogs as it rushed out of nowhere under my wheels. I could do nothing about it and left the spot. Over 10 years ago story. :(

Absolutely, i'll let you know when i'm visiting Netherlands. Its my honour to be invited by you and family. Same goes from my side too. I'll positively ley you know about dog situation :)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 deactivated-5b797108c254e

@indzman: If there is such a thing as Karma you wouldn't get punished by an accident you couldn't have avoided. Yeah, maybe you could have called someone but if the dog was already dead I'm sure he didn't care what happened next.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 indzman

@korvus said:

@indzman: If there is such a thing as Karma you wouldn't get punished by an accident you couldn't have avoided. Yeah, maybe you could have called someone but if the dog was already dead I'm sure he didn't care what happened next.

The dogs belly spilled out, if i called someone i'd be handed over to cops or manhandled by public even if its no fault of me you know. They 'dve cancelled my driving license also or animal activists fining me big time. In this circumstances its best to speed off unless its human and needs medical treatment.I really felt bad about it even till now. My only casualty till date :(

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 deactivated-5b797108c254e

@indzman: If that's the case there's really nothing else you could have done. Where I come from you can only get in trouble if you don't report it and get caught. If you report it they'll just send someone to clean the road and you're free to go. Don't think anybody thinks people are having fun wrecking their cars by running over animals on purpose.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 indzman

I was young and scared stiff about repurcations then lol. Told my freinds, parents about it. They told as you, nothing i could do about it, accident is an accident. Nor was i drunk driving or rashly also Heh.

gago-gago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#83  Edited By gago-gago
Member since 2009 • 12138 Posts

You should get pepper spray. It's not going to leave any cuts and bruises like you would if you used a stick or blunt object. The pepper spray effect will go away the same day and who knows maybe the next time you jog and see the dog, it'll recognize and remember the pepper spray scent and leave you alone.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 deactivated-5b797108c254e

@indzman: Just put that out of your mind, it could have happened to anyone, and I'm sure you're not the only one whom that happened to.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 indzman

@gago-gago said:

You should get pepper spray. It's not going to leave any cuts and bruises like you would if you used a stick or blunt object. The pepper spray effect will go away the same day and who knows maybe the next time you jog and see the dog, it'll recognize and remember the pepper spray scent and leave you alone.

Hmmm

i'll stay calm if same dog corners me again , kinda worried it dosent bite back on pepper spray. Not afraid about dog bite, but about the injections and medical costs i've to take lol.

Avatar image for deactivated-598fc45371265
deactivated-598fc45371265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#86 deactivated-598fc45371265
Member since 2008 • 13247 Posts

@indzman said:

Dunno if its karma or not , i drove over a dog once killing it instantly on the spot, fault was dogs as it rushed out of nowhere under my wheels. I could do nothing about it and left the spot. Over 10 years ago story. :(

I think that dog's ghost is after you.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 indzman

@Storm_Marine said:

@indzman said:

I think that dog's ghost is after you.

Or its his kin/siblings :(

Brutal_Elitegs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 Brutal_Elitegs
Member since 2004 • 16426 Posts

Douse yourself in wolf piss.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 deactivated-5b797108c254e

@Brutal_Elitegs said:

Douse yourself in wolf piss.

Screw that; bring a wolf!

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 indzman

lol

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#91 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@always_explicit said:

Let the dog out psych itself. Most dogs (even those that initiate confrontation) do so as a defence mechanism because you are a potential threat.

I imagine if you were cornered and penned in by the dog you most likely held the dogs gaze and looked down upon it to anticipate its attack. In the dogs mind you were standing up to him and maintaining your status as a threat.

If the following happens again, put your hands in your pocket turn your back or side to the dog and do not look at him or talk to him. If the dog still remains interested in you use your hand to play with something...like a section of fence at arms length from yourself. This may lead the dog to believe you have discovered something far more interesting than this confrontation to amuse yourself with.

Above all your intention is to ignore the dog thereby reassuring it that you are not interested in him/her in the slightest and therefore not a threat. Dogs are still fundamentally pack animals and will only choose the fight mechanism as supposed to the flight mechanism when they feel in danger.

Please do avoid eye contact!!!! Although it feels alien not to look at the thing you fear may attack you it really is the worst thing you can do.

This. Cats are the same way.