Here we go again: French weekly publishes Mohammad cartoons

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#101 Posted by Lotus-Edge (50439 posts) -

This can only end well...

#102 Posted by MrPraline (21331 posts) -

This can only end well...

Lotus-Edge
Well, it's the religion of peace, so I can't see how it would end badly. They will just have a cup of tea and quietly write an angry letter, right?
#103 Posted by EmpCom (3451 posts) -
They have every right to be offended it is how they show it thats the problem.
#104 Posted by the_ChEeSe_mAn2 (8464 posts) -
Fundamentalist Muslims have no sense of humour.
#105 Posted by Bucked20 (6651 posts) -
That's like disrespecting a gang over and over,they'll eventually kill you for talking crap
#106 Posted by GazaAli (23614 posts) -

Love it. Can anyone who speaks French translate?

airshocker
If you don't understand it what do you love about it?
#107 Posted by Big_Pecks (5595 posts) -

Time for more protests, I guess.

#108 Posted by MrGeezer (57028 posts) -
There are some combinations that you are allowed to be offended by, but a pen and ink isn't one of them. MrPraline
That's really just stupid. Being a cartoon doesn't take away from the fact that behind the cartoon there's a PERSON doing the insulting. Cartoons don't create themselves, someone has to draw them. Walk into a biker bar and find the biggest meanest son of a b**** you can find. Now hand him a little cartoon that you drew, titled "this is me f***ing your wife last night", and see what happens. The cartoon isn't even the issue,the issue is that you're saying that you just f***ed his wife. Of course, that shouldn't even be something we have to talk about, because the point is that no matter how offended you get at ANYTHING, you don't go around killing people. But saying that one isn't "allowed" to be offended by cartoons is not only stupid, it's missing the point entirely.
#109 Posted by MrPraline (21331 posts) -
[QUOTE="MrPraline"]There are some combinations that you are allowed to be offended by, but a pen and ink isn't one of them. MrGeezer
That's really just stupid. Being a cartoon doesn't take away from the fact that behind the cartoon there's a PERSON doing the insulting. Cartoons don't create themselves, someone has to draw them. Walk into a biker bar and find the biggest meanest son of a b**** you can find. Now hand him a little cartoon that you drew, titled "this is me f***ing your wife last night", and see what happens. The cartoon isn't even the issue,the issue is that you're saying that you just f***ed his wife. Of course, that shouldn't even be something we have to talk about, because the point is that no matter how offended you get at ANYTHING, you don't go around killing people. But saying that one isn't "allowed" to be offended by cartoons is not only stupid, it's missing the point entirely.

Sure, but this is all about Muhammed being pictured in the first place. No context. No sexual caption. Picturing people, something that has been done for thousands of years, is somehow offensive to Islambs. That's somehow I scoff at. Laugh at. Cannot take seriously. And of course we agree on the real point, that no cartoon should lead to violence.
#110 Posted by toast_burner (22547 posts) -

That's like disrespecting a gang over and over,they'll eventually kill you for talking crap Bucked20

Because thugs deserve you upmost respect

#111 Posted by Brosephus_Rex (467 posts) -

I always feel iffy about this stuff. On one hand, freedom of speech. On the other hand I wouldnt like seeing someone I revered as a hero slandered in the paper like that. Instead of killing, the offended should take it to court.Capitan_Kid
No, instead of being offended, they should shrug it the fvck off and move on with life. Seriously, how is this even a point of discussion?

#112 Posted by MrGeezer (57028 posts) -
[QUOTE="MrPraline"] Sure, but this is all about Muhammed being pictured in the first place. No context. No sexual caption. Picturing people, something that has been done for thousands of years, is somehow offensive to Islambs. That's somehow I scoff at. Laugh at. Cannot take seriously. And of course we agree on the real point, that no cartoon should lead to violence.

Of course I agree that no cartoon should lead to violence. I'm just saying...that fact that it was just a cartoon has nothing to do with it, and doesn't somehow make it less offensive. If the offense is over the depiction of Muhammed, then obviously depicting Mohammed in a cartoon doesn't really change that. Also consider...if being a cartoon isn't worth getting offended over, then that sort of implies that it's MORE justified to get outraged over something that's NOT a cartoon. And like...if I hired two people (one to play Muhammed and one to play Jesus) and then filmed a REALLY professional looking scene of Jesus giving it to Muhammed from behind, does that somehow give Muslims more justification to be outraged than if I'd simply drawn a cartoon depicting the same thing? I'm just saying...you're sort of talking about how Muslims shouldn't get offended over a mere cartoon, but that's completely beside the point. What people SHOULD get offended by is irrelevant, they're either going to get offended or they won't. The only relevant thing is how they react after they do get offended. And yes, we agree...no matter how offended one gets, it's wrong to react in a violent manner. That's the issue, and making it about what they got offended about is taking away from that. Cartoon/movie/photograph/novel, or even just some dude talking $*** straight to your face, it doesn't matter.
#113 Posted by sSubZerOo (43943 posts) -
[QUOTE="MrGeezer"][QUOTE="MrPraline"] Sure, but this is all about Muhammed being pictured in the first place. No context. No sexual caption. Picturing people, something that has been done for thousands of years, is somehow offensive to Islambs. That's somehow I scoff at. Laugh at. Cannot take seriously. And of course we agree on the real point, that no cartoon should lead to violence.

Of course I agree that no cartoon should lead to violence. I'm just saying...that fact that it was just a cartoon has nothing to do with it, and doesn't somehow make it less offensive. If the offense is over the depiction of Muhammed, then obviously depicting Mohammed in a cartoon doesn't really change that. Also consider...if being a cartoon isn't worth getting offended over, then that sort of implies that it's MORE justified to get outraged over something that's NOT a cartoon. And like...if I hired two people (one to play Muhammed and one to play Jesus) and then filmed a REALLY professional looking scene of Jesus giving it to Muhammed from behind, does that somehow give Muslims more justification to be outraged than if I'd simply drawn a cartoon depicting the same thing? I'm just saying...you're sort of talking about how Muslims shouldn't get offended over a mere cartoon, but that's completely beside the point. What people SHOULD get offended by is irrelevant, they're either going to get offended or they won't. The only relevant thing is how they react after they do get offended. And yes, we agree...no matter how offended one gets, it's wrong to react in a violent manner. That's the issue, and making it about what they got offended about is taking away from that. Cartoon/movie/photograph/novel, or even just some dude talking $*** straight to your face, it doesn't matter.

Which is pretty hilarious because much of the exact same extremists in these European countries are holding protests that spew their own vile crap.. Fvcking hypocrites.
#114 Posted by MrGeezer (57028 posts) -
Which is pretty hilarious because much of the exact same extremists in these European countries are holding protests that spew their own vile crap.. Fvcking hypocrites.sSubZerOo
Eh, I don't really have anything to say about that. Assuming you're just talking about the guys who say offensive stuff in response to being offended...sure that's hypocritical I guess, but it doesn't concern me. Assuming that you're just talking about the nonviolent protesters, I can't be too concerned. They're allowed to be offensive, even if I think it's hypocritical.
#115 Posted by BatCrazedJoker (1611 posts) -
This should lead to some interesting events.
#116 Posted by Capitan_Kid (6628 posts) -
[QUOTE="airshocker"]

Love it. Can anyone who speaks French translate?

GazaAli
If you don't understand it what do you love about it?

He's ok with using freedom of speech as an excuse to be an douche
#117 Posted by HoolaHoopMan (7877 posts) -
Going to upset some Muslims obviously.
#118 Posted by Capitan_Kid (6628 posts) -
[QUOTE="Zaibach"]

[QUOTE="Omni-Slash"] selling illegal nude pics vs publishing a political cartoon....I'm failing to see the connection....sonicare

Both are clearly controversial publications, one while intrusive of privacy and shouldnt be published, but the other one is incredibly inflamatory publication with a history guaranteed to cause political unrest.

Long story short, dont poke the bear and complain when it goes mental.

So in other words never be critical of anything. Someone could get upset.

Theres a difference between being critical and just being a frickin douchebag.
#119 Posted by AdamPA1006 (6420 posts) -

Family guy and Southpark are pretty much constantly making fun of every religion, no one cares. So someone drew a cartoon get over it, people might say and do stuff that offends you. These extremists need to find a better release for their energy.

#120 Posted by ad1x2 (5789 posts) -
Freedom of speech shouldn't be challenged. Unfortunately common sense should come into place. Thanks to that video that went viral last week a lot of people to include an ambassador and some US troops were killed in retaliation. This cartoon could cause some French personnel to be targeted, to include French troops who are overseas in Muslim countries. If you know what you are going to do is going to incite violence you may want to do a risk assessment and consider whether you making a point is worth people getting killed by some morons who can't take a joke.
#121 Posted by HoolaHoopMan (7877 posts) -
[QUOTE="sonicare"][QUOTE="Zaibach"]

Both are clearly controversial publications, one while intrusive of privacy and shouldnt be published, but the other one is incredibly inflamatory publication with a history guaranteed to cause political unrest.

Capitan_Kid

Being a douche bag isn't illegal.
#122 Posted by LJS9502_basic (152304 posts) -
[QUOTE="sonicare"][QUOTE="Zaibach"]

Capitan_Kid

And that comes down to interpretation....
#123 Posted by Capitan_Kid (6628 posts) -
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="Capitan_Kid"][QUOTE="sonicare"] So in other words never be critical of anything. Someone could get upset.

How is this anything but a blatant insult towards a different religion with different a culture? What point is being made in that cartoon strip?
#124 Posted by Pirate700 (46465 posts) -

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="Capitan_Kid"] Theres a difference between being critical and just being a frickin douchebag. Capitan_Kid

How is this anything but a blatant insult towards a different religion with different a culture? What point is being made in that cartoon strip?

If even depicting him in any way is an insult, then they need to be prepared to be insulted. If they don't want him depicted, then in their part of the world, they can keep it that way. The rest of the world doesn't need to cater to their absurd social or cultural requirements.

#125 Posted by Capitan_Kid (6628 posts) -

[QUOTE="Capitan_Kid"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] And that comes down to interpretation....Pirate700

If even depicting him in any way is an insult, then they need to be prepared to be insulted. If they don't want him depicted, then in their part of the world, they can keep it that way. The rest of the world doens't need to cater to their absurd social requirements.

So basically, we shouldnt tolerate the traditions of others? Just because a culture is different doesnt mean its ok to stomp on their ideals. What your saying is really fvcked up. Maybe Ill start visiting jewish towns giving them newspapers about how great of a guy hitler was
#126 Posted by mindstorm (15247 posts) -

I posted this picture in another thread but it's relevent here as well.

coffee

And as a note, it is not my intention to offend anyone with this picture, I just think that it is funny.

#127 Posted by Pirate700 (46465 posts) -

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

[QUOTE="Capitan_Kid"] How is this anything but a blatant insult towards a different religion with different a culture? What point is being made in that cartoon strip? Capitan_Kid

If even depicting him in any way is an insult, then they need to be prepared to be insulted. If they don't want him depicted, then in their part of the world, they can keep it that way. The rest of the world doens't need to cater to their absurd social requirements.

So basically, we shouldnt tolerate the traditions of others? Just because a culture is different doesnt mean its ok to stomp on their ideals. What your saying is really fvcked up. Maybe Ill start visiting jewish towns giving them newspapers about how great of a guy hitler was

Yeah...you see that example doesn't work here becaus this wasn't done in the middle east or an Muslim town. It was done in France.

#128 Posted by HoolaHoopMan (7877 posts) -

I posted this picture in another thread but it's relevent here as well.

coffee

And as a note, it is not my intention to offend anyone with this picture, I just think that it is funny.

mindstorm
I don't get it. Is Jesus gonna bang that chick or something?
#129 Posted by Capitan_Kid (6628 posts) -

[QUOTE="Capitan_Kid"][QUOTE="Pirate700"]If even depicting him in any way is an insult, then they need to be prepared to be insulted. If they don't want him depicted, then in their part of the world, they can keep it that way. The rest of the world doens't need to cater to their absurd social requirements.

Pirate700

Yeah...you see that example doesn't work here becaus this wasn't done in the middle east. It was done in France.

Either way your comment was intolerant of another countries ideals and beliefs. There are civil ways to criticise another country but presumably this comic strip is not.
#130 Posted by Pirate700 (46465 posts) -

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

[QUOTE="Capitan_Kid"] So basically, we shouldnt tolerate the traditions of others? Just because a culture is different doesnt mean its ok to stomp on their ideals. What your saying is really fvcked up. Maybe Ill start visiting jewish towns giving them newspapers about how great of a guy hitler wasCapitan_Kid

Yeah...you see that example doesn't work here becaus this wasn't done in the middle east. It was done in France.

Either way your comment was intolerant of another countries ideals and beliefs. There are civil ways to criticise another country but presumably this comic strip is not.

Ok, and they're intollerant of the rest of the world that doesn't live in the stone age. What's your point?

#131 Posted by Zensword (3885 posts) -
Muslims need to lighten up. Don't take your faith/religion too seriously.
#132 Posted by LJS9502_basic (152304 posts) -
[QUOTE="Capitan_Kid"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="Capitan_Kid"] Theres a difference between being critical and just being a frickin douchebag.

You do know that offense has occurred for a mere image....right? Or are you talking out of your ass?
#133 Posted by LJS9502_basic (152304 posts) -
[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

[QUOTE="Capitan_Kid"] So basically, we shouldnt tolerate the traditions of others? Just because a culture is different doesnt mean its ok to stomp on their ideals. What your saying is really fvcked up. Maybe Ill start visiting jewish towns giving them newspapers about how great of a guy hitler wasCapitan_Kid

Dude...you're not getting it. Some people DO take criticism as offensive. Civilized or not.....:roll:
#134 Posted by Pirate700 (46465 posts) -

[QUOTE="Capitan_Kid"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] And that comes down to interpretation....LJS9502_basic

You do know that offense has occurred for a mere image....right? Or are you talking out of your ass?

This is the same guy in a thread a while back that was ranting about how you have to keep women in line so I reckon he does that a lot.

#135 Posted by Zensword (3885 posts) -
[QUOTE="Capitan_Kid"]Theyre doing this to be offensive not criticising. Theyres a fine line between it and those fvcktards wanna break itZeviander
No matter what reason they do it for, they are certainly making a very strong point. One that I, as a citizen of a free nation that supports the freedom of speech, religion, expression and the press, value as a contribution to the public forum. We try to suppress this expression in any way, then we have allowed the authoritarian religious fundamentalists control of our rights and freedoms. Giving these people special treatment because they threaten violence is akin to forfeiting your rights as a free citizen.

+10.
#136 Posted by MrGeezer (57028 posts) -
[QUOTE="Zeviander"][QUOTE="Capitan_Kid"]Theyre doing this to be offensive not criticising. Theyres a fine line between it and those fvcktards wanna break itZensword
No matter what reason they do it for, they are certainly making a very strong point. One that I, as a citizen of a free nation that supports the freedom of speech, religion, expression and the press, value as a contribution to the public forum. We try to suppress this expression in any way, then we have allowed the authoritarian religious fundamentalists control of our rights and freedoms. Giving these people special treatment because they threaten violence is akin to forfeiting your rights as a free citizen.

+10.

So what...now we should ALWAYS say exactly what we're thinking, regardless of the consequences? Because that line of thinking doesn't just apply to the specific case of depicting Muhammed, it applies to ALL SPEECH. Any time you ever hold in your words because you don't think what you're saying is worth the consequences, it could be equally argued that you are "forfeiting your rights."
#137 Posted by Capitan_Kid (6628 posts) -
[QUOTE="Capitan_Kid"][QUOTE="Pirate700"]Yeah...you see that example doesn't work here becaus this wasn't done in the middle east. It was done in France. LJS9502_basic

Dude...you're not getting it. Some people DO take criticism as offensive. Civilized or not.....:roll:

Thats not what this is about. My point is, that cartoon is not civil criticism
#138 Posted by Pirate700 (46465 posts) -

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="Capitan_Kid"] Either way your comment was intolerant of another countries ideals and beliefs. There are civil ways to criticise another country but presumably this comic strip is not. Capitan_Kid

Answer me this...what if the rest of the world is offended by Muslims going bananas and violent over a cartoon. Who wins then?

#139 Posted by LJS9502_basic (152304 posts) -

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="Capitan_Kid"] How is this anything but a blatant insult towards a different religion with different a culture? What point is being made in that cartoon strip? Pirate700

This is the same guy in a thread a while back that was ranting about how you have to keep women in line so I reckon he does that a lot.

Oh so someone not to take seriously? Got it....
#140 Posted by AdamPA1006 (6420 posts) -
[QUOTE="Capitan_Kid"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="Capitan_Kid"] Either way your comment was intolerant of another countries ideals and beliefs. There are civil ways to criticise another country but presumably this comic strip is not.

Yeah its not so what? What you gonna do? Ban it?
#141 Posted by Capitan_Kid (6628 posts) -

[QUOTE="Capitan_Kid"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] Dude...you're not getting it. Some people DO take criticism as offensive. Civilized or not.....:roll:Pirate700

Answer me this...what if the rest of the world is offended by Muslims going bananas and violent over a cartoon. Who wins then?

Fvck the rest of the world. They shouldnt be getting offended over the mere fact someone else is offended by something
#142 Posted by AdamPA1006 (6420 posts) -
[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

[QUOTE="Capitan_Kid"] Thats not what this is about. My point is, that cartoon is not civil criticismCapitan_Kid

Fvck the rest of the world. They shouldnt be getting offended over the mere fact someone else is offended by something

Your right, I'm offended they are killing people
#143 Posted by toast_burner (22547 posts) -

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

[QUOTE="Capitan_Kid"] Thats not what this is about. My point is, that cartoon is not civil criticismCapitan_Kid

So getting offended over a picture is fine and understandable, but getting offended over people being murdered is stupid?

#144 Posted by Pirate700 (46465 posts) -

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

You realise your post is just exploding with hypocrisy, right?

#145 Posted by Capitan_Kid (6628 posts) -

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="Capitan_Kid"] How is this anything but a blatant insult towards a different religion with different a culture? What point is being made in that cartoon strip? Pirate700

Obviously that was sarcasm brah. Do i have to put a sign everytime i act silly?
#146 Posted by LJS9502_basic (152304 posts) -

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

What a bull sh*t comment to make and it certainly shows your hypocrisy.

#147 Posted by The-Apostle (12193 posts) -
I saw the story and laughed...
#148 Posted by Brosephus_Rex (467 posts) -

LOL, Captain Pancake.

#149 Posted by Capitan_Kid (6628 posts) -

[QUOTE="Capitan_Kid"][QUOTE="Pirate700"]Answer me this...what if the rest of the world is offended by Muslims going bananas and violent over a cartoon. Who wins then?

Pirate700

You realise your post is just exploding with hypocrisy, right?

Whoops. I glanced over your statement. I didnt see the get violent part. Its a slippery slope. On one hand the immature douchebag statement that caused the violence shouldnt have been stated but if the muslims were to be violent over it it certainly wouldnt be good idea. Dont fight idiocy with more idiocy
#150 Posted by Moriarity_ (1332 posts) -
And Islamic people wonder why some people in the western world generalize their religion as violent? I'm not justifying the generalizations but if every minor offense sparks riots then you shouldn't complain when people start making generalizations.