Help me remember the title of a WW2 documentary...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by Kevlar101 (6203 posts) -

There is this World War II documentary that was released in 2003 (I think.) I have since forgotten the name, but I would very much love to see it again.

It is many, many episodes long. It covers every single aspect of the war, all the way back to its roots. It starts from Hitler coming to power, proceeds to the Japanese invasion of China, and goes on to cover every single detail of the war, from start to finish. It is an incredible documentary.

It's intro sequence cycles different images and clips across the screen, standout among them is a short clip of a tank driving into water (for some reason).

The narrator is certainly American. There are often quotes from famous leaders that appear on screen that are accompanied by the narrator reading them off.

The documentary comes on DVD, on 5 separate discs.

I know it's not much to go by, but.... it has been years, quite a few years since I have seen it. I have already Googled it to try to find it, but it still eludes me. Any help will be appreciated.

#2 Posted by SaintLeonidas (26315 posts) -

?

#3 Edited by lamprey263 (24130 posts) -

You mean the Frank Carpa "Why We Fight" series? Though, that was from the 40s, but was on 5 DVDs too when I had it, but the production quality was low and one of the discs must have been missing parts of the feature when it was produced. Anyhow, stuff is on YouTube in its entirety.

#4 Posted by Kevlar101 (6203 posts) -

@lamprey263 said:

You mean the Frank Carpa "Why We Fight" series? Though, that was from the 40s, but was on 5 DVDs too when I had it, but the production quality was low and one of the discs must have been missing parts of the feature when it was produced. Anyhow, stuff is on YouTube in its entirety.

No, definitely not that. What I'm looking for was certainly made in the early-2000's

#5 Edited by Kevlar101 (6203 posts) -
@SaintLeonidas said:

?

Unfortunately, no

#6 Edited by lamprey263 (24130 posts) -
@Kevlar101 said:

@lamprey263 said:

No, definitely not that. What I'm looking for was certainly made in the early-2000's

Only ones I know produced from that point on might be WW2 In Color or WW2 HD, and that was late 2000s.

2000s is about the time that the History Channel was being known as the Hitler/Nazi channel, and they played lots of WW2 stuff. They really went over the rails with Nazi UFOs and that was pretty much the end of that. So, my guess if it was new in early 2000s then it might have been a History Channel produce show. Maybe we can find a list of History Channel produced shows at that time and see if you can find it.

#7 Posted by Stesilaus (3355 posts) -

Could it have been World War II in Color (2009)?

Although it dates all the way back to 1973, The World at War probably remains the definitive WWII documentary series. It has a 9.4 rating on IMDB, which is pretty incredible for a show that has 5778 ratings.

#8 Posted by Kevlar101 (6203 posts) -

@Stesilaus:

Trust me, I am absolutely 100% positive that what I am looking for was made in the early-2000's

#9 Edited by Kevlar101 (6203 posts) -

@Stesilaus: @lamprey263: @SaintLeonidas:

Just found it. It's called The Complete History Of World War II. All 13 episodes are on YouTube :P

#10 Edited by Master_Live (14780 posts) -

Meh, all I could come up with was

this. And it is French...

Even if it isn't the documentary you are looking for you should see WW2 in Colour if you haven't, it is excellent.

#11 Posted by Kevlar101 (6203 posts) -

@Master_Live:

My previous post explains how I found what I was looking for lol :p