have you ever voted Libertarian?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

4myAmuzumament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 4myAmuzumament
Member since 2013 • 1791 Posts

Everyone likes to harp on the government being corrupt, but then we keep voting in incompetent people who represent the people we say are ruining the country. Is it beyond our human brain capacity to be able to focus on more than two competitors at a time?

Most importantly:

- have you ever voted Libertarian? why?

- have you ever voted for a third party? will you if you have not?

- what is your opinion on Libertarianism?

- will a Democrat or Republican win the presidential election in 2016? or possibly a third party candidate?...

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

My answer to every question is ROFL.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#3 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts
  • No. Got no libertarian party or candidates where I live.
  • Yes, I vote for the third party equivalent.
  • I think it has an appeal for many voters, specially younger ones who just wanna be left the **** alone and not deal with an intrusive, suffocating, behemoth of a government.
  • To early to tell. A third party winning would be a long shot.
yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

Nope. Although my hero, Ron Swanson, is a Libertarian.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#6  Edited By GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

"Have you ever voted Libertarian?"

**** no. I don't consider Libertarianism a mature ideology.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

You mean that brand of libertarianism Republicans flocked to as a GOP proxy to save face after 8 years of Bush? No.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#8  Edited By Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

Both liberals and conservatives piss me off.

Video games cause kids to go violent and shoot up schools!!! The horror!

Gay people affect my life D=

See how both are equally stupid. To me they're all the same, politicians taking stuff when they want it.

Avatar image for MakeMeaSammitch
MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 MakeMeaSammitch
Member since 2012 • 4889 Posts

I think that group had some decent ideology at some point, but they went crazy and stupid.

I think it got hijacked by stupid teenagers and weirdos.

Avatar image for cynical_buzzard
Cynical_Buzzard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By Cynical_Buzzard
Member since 2013 • 226 Posts

I tend to always vote Democrat.

Avatar image for MakeMeaSammitch
MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 MakeMeaSammitch
Member since 2012 • 4889 Posts

Relavent

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Master_Live

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Master_Live

More Libertarian Than Thou is hilarious, Selectively Frugal is silly since taxes would be so low already.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23032 Posts

@GreySeal9 said:

I don't consider Libertarianism a mature ideology.

I agree.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

@GreySeal9 said:

This. ^ Libertarianism is the ideology of the lazy who just ignore problems and pretend they do not exist.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#16  Edited By foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Libertarian is a dirty word to most Americans.

I share some ideals with the "small l" libertarian position, but do not hold any ties to the "big L" Libertarian organization in the US.

Things like bodily sovereignty (free to do what I please with my body), private property rights (free to buy and sell what I please, within a free market) and the reasonable use of force to defend both.

People tend to synonymize libertarianism with Objectivism, but they are not the same thing.

Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Jebus213
Member since 2010 • 10056 Posts

@Aljosa23 said:

@GreySeal9 said:

This. ^ Libertarianism is the ideology of the lazy who just ignore problems and pretend they do not exist.

How?

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 IMAHAPYHIPPO
Member since 2004 • 4196 Posts

If I understand Libertarianism correctly, than I am one. Financially I have very conservative views, but I think gay people should be able to get married and believe in equal opportunity and all that.

I guess that makes me the only liberal who doesn't have his hands in other people's pockets.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#19  Edited By the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

Only every time I've bothered to vote. Which was once.

Not like it matters. Let's not kid ourselves, if you don't live in a swing state, your vote doesn't count.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 GreySeal9

@Master_Live said:

That comic is both funny and accurate.

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 themajormayor
Member since 2011 • 25729 Posts

@IMAHAPYHIPPO said:

If I understand Libertarianism correctly, than I am one. Financially I have very conservative views, but I think gay people should be able to get married and believe in equal opportunity and all that.

I guess that makes me the only liberal who doesn't have his hands in other people's pockets.

How can you have conservative fiscal views and be a libertarian? Doesn't make sense.

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 themajormayor
@Aljosa23 said:

@GreySeal9 said:

That's not libertarianism.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b78379493e12
deactivated-5b78379493e12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#23  Edited By deactivated-5b78379493e12
Member since 2005 • 15625 Posts

No. The Libertarians that have run for office around me are just Republicans in a disguise. Not much difference between them. If I'm going to vote for the lesser of many evils, I'll vote Democratic most of the time. I'm tired of seeing minuscule tax cuts to pacify the masses, why the real benefits go to corporations. Services suffer, the rich get richer, and I have $10 more a year in my pocket. I'd rather that money go to local services.

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#25  Edited By vfibsux
Member since 2003 • 4497 Posts

Edit: It has surfaced that many of these views could be due to liberal/libertarian mean different things in different countries. Everything I say is from the view of an American. If you are from another country and I called your view out please disregard.

Reading these replies the majority of you don't even know wtf a Libertarian stands for; Educate yourselves please.

First of all just like any political ideology there are differing degrees of libertarianism, everywhere from anarchist to moderate. The dude who said how can you be a fiscal conservative and be libertarian.....ummm, that is exactly what moderate (which I refer to as rational) libertarians are; fiscal conservatives and social liberals.

They basically take away the hypocrisy of the left and the right; the right wants government out of their lives yet still keeps pro-life around; the left wants you to leave them alone when it comes to being homosexual and abortions but let's government control everything else like a British Nanny.

This is a rational libertarian. The federal government should stay out of state business when it comes to stuff like gay marriage and drug legalization, which should be liberal in nature anyway. The state government should stay out of our lives when it comes to victimless crimes, and its programs should promote independence from government rather than dependence. This does not mean zero welfare, it means the system is designed to help people get off welfare rather than stay on. Free market truly is free, government spending is under control, zero income tax but rather a program such as a 20% flat sales tax or just a 1% service tax which would double revenue and save most Americans 50% of their income. You could always create a get out of taxes free card for poor people, anything is negotiable.

Democrats get their gay marriage, pro-choice, and legal pot......Republicans get their lower taxes, less government interference, and free market. Best of both worlds. How anyone can say libertarians are just Republicans in disguise are ignorant. Maybe it is because we loathe liberalism more than we do conservatives....

Take the quiz to find out how libertarian you are, you may be surprised.....

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By vfibsux

@GreySeal9 said:

This is an absurd statement without elaboration.

@lamprey263 said:

You mean that brand of libertarianism Republicans flocked to as a GOP proxy to save face after 8 years of Bush? No.

So ironic considering your avatar. Libertarians would make that happen for you smokey.

@Aljosa23 said:

@GreySeal9 said:

This is so wrong on so many levels, just more ignorance.

@themajormayor said:

@IMAHAPYHIPPO said:

How can you have conservative fiscal views and be a libertarian? Doesn't make sense.

This is as ignorant as it gets. You people really need to educate yourselves on libertarianism before spouting off here. Conservative fiscalism is one of the core values of libertarianism.

2.0 Economic Liberty

Libertarians want all members of society to have abundant opportunities to achieve economic success. A free and competitive market allocates resources in the most efficient manner. Each person has the right to offer goods and services to others on the free market. The only proper role of government in the economic realm is to protect property rights, adjudicate disputes, and provide a legal framework in which voluntary trade is protected. All efforts by government to redistribute wealth, or to control or manage trade, are improper in a free society.

Yea...doesn't sound conservative at all.....

@jimkabrhel said:

No. The Libertarians that have run for office around me are just Republicans in a disguise. Not much difference between them. If I'm going to vote for the lesser of many evils, I'll vote Democratic most of the time. I'm tired of seeing minuscule tax cuts to pacify the masses, why the real benefits go to corporations. Services suffer, the rich get richer, and I have $10 more a year in my pocket. I'd rather that money go to local services.

Really now? So they are against gay marriage and abortion just like the Republicans? They are all for corporate bailouts? Libertarians are not about tax cuts, they are about tax models that cut taxes for ALL but increase revenue at the same time, all while reducing government spending. They are all about NOT bailing out corporations. You are just another ignorant poster who knows jack shit about libertarians.

Did you know a mere 1% tax on all services would double the tax revenue of the government and allow us to erase the income tax? The math does not lie. The problem is this would tax lawyers 1% on all services.......what profession do the majority of our congressmen share? No wonder it has never been entertained....

SpartanMSU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 SpartanMSU
Member since 2009 • 3440 Posts

"Libertarianism is for the lazy". I think you're confusing that with modern liberalism, where personal responsibility is just too damn hard.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-5b78379493e12

@vfibsux said:

@jimkabrhel said:

Really now? So they are against gay marriage and abortion just like the Republicans? They are all for corporate bailouts? Libertarians are not about tax cuts, they are about tax models that cut taxes for ALL but increase revenue at the same time, all while reducing government spending. They are all about NOT bailing out corporations. You are just another ignorant poster who knows jack shit about libertarians.

Did you know a mere 1% tax on all services would double the tax revenue of the government and allow us to erase the income tax? The math does not lie. The problem is this would tax lawyers 1% on all services.......what profession do the majority of our congressmen share? No wonder it has never been entertained....

I didn't say Libertarians in general, or in principle, I said the Libertarians who have run in my area. I am aware of what Libertarians espouse, and thus I feel that those that run for major office most of the time are Republicans in disguise, not true Libertarians.

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 vfibsux

@jimkabrhel said:

@vfibsux said:

@jimkabrhel said:

I didn't say Libertarians in general, or in principle, I said the Libertarians who have run in my area. I am aware of what Libertarians espouse, and thus I feel that those that run for major office most of the time are Republicans in disguise, not true Libertarians.

My bad, after reading so much of the ignorance here I assumed too much from your post.

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By themajormayor

@vfibsux said:

@themajormayor said:

@IMAHAPYHIPPO said:

This is as ignorant as it gets. You people really need to educate yourselves on libertarianism before spouting off here. Conservative fiscalism is one of the core values of libertarianism.

2.0 Economic Liberty

Libertarians want all members of society to have abundant opportunities to achieve economic success. A free and competitive market allocates resources in the most efficient manner. Each person has the right to offer goods and services to others on the free market. The only proper role of government in the economic realm is to protect property rights, adjudicate disputes, and provide a legal framework in which voluntary trade is protected. All efforts by government to redistribute wealth, or to control or manage trade, are improper in a free society.

No it doesn't. Sounds very liberal if anything. Makes sense considering how close liberalism and libertarianism is.

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By vfibsux

@themajormayor said:

@vfibsux said:

@themajormayor said:

@IMAHAPYHIPPO said:

2.0 Economic Liberty

No it doesn't. Sounds very liberal if anything. Makes sense considering how close liberalism and libertarianism is.

So basically you are ignorant by choice because free market, less corporate regulation, and not believing in the redistribution of wealth are certainly "very liberal" views......... cool story bro, good luck with that.

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 themajormayor
@SpartanMSU said:

"Libertarianism is for the lazy". I think you're confusing that with modern liberalism, where personal responsibility is just too damn hard.

I think you're confusing liberalism with Social democracy and Socialism.

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 themajormayor
@vfibsux said:

@themajormayor said:

@vfibsux said:

@themajormayor said:

@IMAHAPYHIPPO said:

2.0 Economic Liberty

So basically you are ignorant by choice because free market, less corporate regulation, and not believing in the redistribution of wealth are certainly "very liberal" views......... cool story bro, good luck with that.

Yes. That's basically the definition of liberalism. Wtf are you talking about?

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By vfibsux

@themajormayor said:
@vfibsux said:

@themajormayor said:

@vfibsux said:

@themajormayor said:

@IMAHAPYHIPPO said:

2.0 Economic Liberty

I am talking 2014 American liberalism, if you are not an American then the premise of this debate is already going to be wack and I apologize for calling you ignorant. There are differing degrees of liberalism as with anything else....but today's typical American liberals (basically socialist) are certainly not about free market (not to be confused with free trade), not for LESS corporate regulation but would regulate most corporations into the ground, and are ALL for redistribution of wealth. Which would also explain your other post here. American liberalism is more akin to socialism these days than any traditional definition you could come up with. They will fight this tooth and nail, but in the end a spade is a spade. Oh yea, most of them would call me racist for saying that as well because apparently freedom of thought has been taken over by "open minds".....which unless you agree with them 100% you do not possess.

@themajormayor said:
@SpartanMSU said:

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 themajormayor

@vfibsux said:

@themajormayor said:
@vfibsux said:

@themajormayor said:

@vfibsux said:

@themajormayor said:

@IMAHAPYHIPPO said:

2.0 Economic Liberty

I am talking 2014 American liberalism, if you are not an American then the premise of this debate is already going to be wack and I apologize for calling you ignorant. There are differing degrees of liberalism as with anything else....but today's typical American liberals (basically socialist) are certainly not about free market (not to be confused with free trade), not for LESS corporate regulation but would regulate most corporations into the ground, and are ALL for redistribution of wealth. Which would also explain your other post here. American liberalism is more akin to socialism these days than any traditional definition you could come up with. They will fight this tooth and nail, but in the end a spade is a spade. Oh yea, most of them would call me racist for saying that as well because apparently freedom of thought has been taken over by "open minds".....which unless you agree with them 100% you do not possess.

@themajormayor said:
@SpartanMSU said:

Well ok that's fair. But seriously Democrats are very very far from Socialism still. Those are the liberal ones right?

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 vfibsux

@themajormayor said:

@vfibsux said:

@themajormayor said:
@vfibsux said:

@themajormayor said:

@vfibsux said:

@themajormayor said:

@IMAHAPYHIPPO said:

2.0 Economic Liberty

@themajormayor said:
@SpartanMSU said:

Well ok that's fair. But seriously Democrats are very very far from Socialism still. Those are the liberal ones right?

Well you cannot just say Democrat because once again....differing degrees. Those who associate themselves with being "liberal" tend to be further left. Same would go for conservatives. This is not even a valid blanket statement because everyone has a different perception of these things. I would certainly not say American Democrats are "very very far" from socialism; this country is leaning more toward socialism every day. Will we ever be Venezuela? I don't think so.

Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Jebus213

@themajormayor said:
@Aljosa23 said:

@GreySeal9 said:

That's not libertarianism.

Liberal- MORE corporate regulation, believing in distribution wealth through welfare, more taxes, free-market, and socially left(weed, gay marriage, etc.).

Conservative- LESS corporate regulation, trickle down effect(wealth distribution), less taxes, free-market, and socially right(God Bless America, war on xmas, etc.).

Libertarian- Fiscal conservative, Social Liberal.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 deactivated-5b78379493e12

@vfibsux said:

@jimkabrhel said:

@vfibsux said:

@jimkabrhel said:

My bad, after reading so much of the ignorance here I assumed too much from your post.

Not a problem. I'm sure you and I disagree on most things philosophically and politically, but as long as that comes from an intelligent place for both of us, which I know it does, I'm not fussed.

Since the GS change-over, it seems like OT is infested with the ignorant right-wing folk, who depend on right-wing media and talking points, rather than intellectual discourse and critical thinking.

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#39 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts

Nah, in general libertarian politicians I've found to be either too extreme economically ("end the Fed") or to be Republicans masquerading as libertarians.

SpartanMSU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 SpartanMSU

@themajormayor: You don't know what modern American liberalism is. Please stop.

Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Jebus213
@chessmaster1989 said:

Nah, in general libertarian politicians I've found to be either too extreme economically ("end the Fed") or to be Republicans masquerading as libertarians.

Unfortunately this is the case.

Ron Paul is crazy.... but he's gonna legalize pot ain't he? kek

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By GreySeal9

@jimkabrhel said:

@vfibsux said:

@jimkabrhel said:

@vfibsux said:

@jimkabrhel said:

Not a problem. I'm sure you and I disagree on most things philosophically and politically, but as long as that comes from an intelligent place for both of us, which I know it does, I'm not fussed.

Since the GS change-over, it seems like OT is infested with the ignorant right-wing folk, who depend on right-wing media and talking points, rather than intellectual discourse and critical thinking.

There does seem to be more rightwing mouthbreathers lately.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 GreySeal9
@chessmaster1989 said:

Yeah. The pigheaded extremeness is what gets me. It's hard to even have a dialogue with people who don't live in the real world and will not even consider the possibility that issues are more complex than they make them out to be.

One thing that bothers me about pretty much all Libertarians I've ever encountered is their lack of mental flexibility. They get an idea in their head about the free market or whatever and then interpret EVERYTHING through that lens, which makes them ill equipped to talk intelligently about problems, much less take steps toward solving them. How can you possible talk about issues realistically if you're answer to everything is "free market/freedom/etc." That kind of one dimensional thinking gets tiresome. The world doesn't conform to an ideology. It's a complex place that requires the ability to look at things on a case by case basis. And the real kicker is that they somehow think that their consistency is some kind of virtue when in reality it's just an unwillingness to approach different problems/scenarios in suitably different ways.

Combine that with the callous lack of compassion that many of them display and it all becomes pretty distasteful IMO.

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 IMAHAPYHIPPO

@SpartanMSU said:

Amen to this. "I have no moneys! But the rich have so much moneys... I should just be able to have some because they have too much!"

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 themajormayor

@SpartanMSU said:

@themajormayor: You don't know what modern American liberalism is. Please stop.

Yes I do. You didn't mention specify what kind of liberalism you were talking about.

SpartanMSU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 SpartanMSU

@themajormayor: Use your brain.

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 vfibsux

@IMAHAPYHIPPO said:

@SpartanMSU said:

Amen to this. "I have no moneys! But the rich have so much moneys... I should just be able to have some because they have too much!"

Once again.....this is not American libertarianism, it is American liberalism.

No wonder the Libertarian Party cannot get a leg up.

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 IMAHAPYHIPPO

@vfibsux said:

@IMAHAPYHIPPO said:

@SpartanMSU said:

Once again.....this is not American libertarianism, it is American liberalism.

No wonder the Libertarian Party cannot get a leg up.

I believe he was referring to liberals, as was I.