#have you ever posted anything on the internet you regret?

#1 Posted by 4myAmuzumament (1750 posts) -

At the end of the day, I don't see how anonymous comments can really be tied to the actual person in front of the screen. Nothing we say really matters when it comes to places like online forums and social media outlets. It's all just shouts into darkness hoping for a reply if you ask me. There may be purpose in some people's blurbs, but the internet is so open and no one is really accountable for what they say.

most importantly:

- will the youth of today be plagued by the dumb things they said on the internet later on in there lives?

- should there be accountability for what people say on the internet?

- should there be an overseer or organization of the internet that imposes rules and regulations?

- can you say what you want on the internet without repercussion?

- Don't think so. Maybe a presidential candidate would...

- No

- No

- Yes, of course; just be smart about it.

#2 Posted by o0squishy0o (2764 posts) -

I personally think people should be held accountable (Where appropriate) of what they say. What you are proposing/suggesting is that anything goes. For example what you are saying is that active promotion of pedophilla would be totally acceptable. Someone is raped and another person could say "Oh well its your own fault for looking like a slut you obviously deserved it and if it were me I would have done it again!".

I think; as crazy as it sounds to some people. We need some degree of control over us. If things were just let loose then there would be total havoc. I think if there could be, an agreed idea of what is OK and what is not with self policing would be a good way to control the internet.

I know reading your points at the end you say "be smart about it" but that doesn't in my eyes cover what you first put about anonymous comments being "tied" to the person in front of the screen.

#3 Posted by Iszdope (10157 posts) -

Not sure. Probably...

Drugs are bad mmk.

#4 Posted by Master_Live (14860 posts) -

On GS we have guidelines and moderators, once you have been here for a couple of months you get the hang on was acceptable or not. Other places are more strict or loose.

@o0squishy0o said:

Someone is raped and another person could say "Oh well its your own fault for looking like a slut you obviously deserved it and if it were me I would have done it again!".

Lets say I did say that on GS and outside GS on a more "anything goes" kind of forum. What would you suggest should be done about it in both cases?

#5 Posted by Korvus (3990 posts) -

No, I have never posted anything online that I regret, other than regretting wasting time with some people who are dumb as a doorknob =P

As for the other questions:

- I think what you do will come back to haunt you (or at least embarrass you) in the future, most often when you look back and think "I was such an idiot". I'd be tempted to say that a lot of stupid stuff comes from anonymity but then I look at Facebook...anything you do with social media that can be directly related to your person can harm you, obviously.

- Depends. If you want to be a troll/idiot/douche online you have the right to, so if you don't care about what you say why should I? That being said, if you're as stupid and that other chick sending threats to an airline, then yeah, you should be accountable.

- No; if it's something that concerns public safety than the authorities will take care of it. Not being an idiot should be taught by your parents, not controlled by an organisation.

- Can you say anything you want? Yep, it's your self-esteem that's in question, not mine. Without repercussions? You can try =P

(Just worth mentioning that when I say "you" I mean it in general, not the TC =P)

#6 Posted by Master_Live (14860 posts) -

As for regrets? I've had a few. But then again, too few to mention. I did what I had to do and saw it through without exemption. I planned each charted course, each careful step along the byway. And more, much more than this, I did it my way.

Yes, there were times, I'm sure you knew, when I bit off more than I could chew. But through it all, when there was doubt, I ate it up and spit it out. I faced it all and I stood tall and did it my way.

#7 Posted by Korvus (3990 posts) -

@Master_Live: Good for you Frank!

#8 Posted by Iszdope (10157 posts) -

Booty time.

#9 Edited by always_explicit (2932 posts) -

Lots of girls on Skype...Lots and lots and lots of girls on Skype. Not regrets as such, but I do have a pretty substantial trail of smut linked to most of my online accounts. I basically had to fess up when I got involved in a serious relationship and advise her that she wouldnt wanna be looking on my computer until I had a chance to "get rid". But she's cool. History is history, everyone does things perhaps they shouldnt. Some of my regrets are also some of my greatest, most interesting and memorable moments, its the amazing thing about being a unique human being with free will.

#10 Posted by playmynutz (6076 posts) -

white tactic 101 lock a thread in hope i will stir up more contreversy and traffic

video games are dead; I am boycotting Sony, microsoft xbox is brought to you by the nsa, nintendo sucks

freedom of speech let me b

#11 Posted by jasean79 (2375 posts) -

I'd be curious to see how that kid would answer that got arrested for making threats about shooting up a school on Facebook because of some online game he played with his friend? I bet he definitely regrets it!