Have you ever made what they make in the cooking shows?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

NuclearNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 NuclearNerd
Member since 2010 • 399 Posts

Just recently discovered this show called "Pati's Mexican Table" and the stuff she was making looked oh so delctable. I've never made the recipes shown on cooking shows but those "Picadillo Empanadas of the Immaculate Conception" look TO DIE FOR. I'm hungry, OT :p---

bluezy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2 bluezy
Member since 2004 • 29297 Posts
I haven't, but my dad did once make something he saw on Primal Grill. God I love that show.
Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Pirate700
Member since 2008 • 46465 Posts

I cook all the time so I'm sure I have but nothing because I saw it on TV.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#4 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

TC, your sig is cool.

Huffanddoback

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Huffanddoback
Member since 2011 • 319 Posts

Yes, I usually try to make stuff based off the show good eats on Food Network. I am actually right now online waiting for the chicken to brine..which I never even heard of but apparently it is worth doing. I just wonder how it is actually supposed to taste as compared to how I make it. He once made this "Adult Mac and Cheese"..it had lots of different higher end cheeses that took me more than a few stores to find. In the end it was ok, but I get the feeling I screwed up someplace.

binpink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 binpink
Member since 2009 • 9163 Posts

I make a lot of Food Network recipes. Some times they work, sometimes they don't.

Tim_Q

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 Tim_Q
Member since 2005 • 1963 Posts

Yes, I usually try to make stuff based off the show good eats on Food Network. I am actually right now online waiting for the chicken to brine..which I never even heard of but apparently it is worth doing. I just wonder how it is actually supposed to taste as compared to how I make it. He once made this "Adult Mac and Cheese"..it had lots of different higher end cheeses that took me more than a few stores to find. In the end it was ok, but I get the feeling I screwed up someplace.

Huffanddoback

Well essentially brining does a couple different things-- for one, it's a way of evenly seasoning an entire piece of meat, not just the outside. As well, salt (contrary to what many people think) helps *keep* moisture in proteins and thus results in a juicier and more moist final product.

With something like chicken, pork, beef you want to brine from anywhere from 12 - 24 hours, but any more than that it'll be far too salty. As well, because you can brine if for a longer time than something like seafood (which you'd only want to brine for an hour at most because it's so delicate) you have the opportunity of flavoring your brines with seasoning and spices.