Have you been in any accidents ?

#1 Edited by indzman (17556 posts) -

Thrice on motorbikes , yesterday night a running dog came between my front wheel out of nowhere and i tipped over with all cuts and bruises, nothing broken, helmet saved me major.

Have you been in any accidents yourself or witnessed one OT ?

#2 Edited by turtlethetaffer (16710 posts) -

The worst I've been in is that a friend of mine once rear ended somebody but he was going at less than five miles an hour so no one was hurt.

I have seen people at intersections t bone somebody twice if I remember correctly. Thankfully I think everyone was also unharmed in both cases.

#3 Posted by br0kenrabbit (12889 posts) -

I've been rear-ended at a stop sign and T-boned in an intersection when some drunk bastard ran a red light. Those are the only two accidents where I was at the wheel, neither my fault. Was sore for a few days after both but no real injuries.

#4 Edited by lightleggy (15921 posts) -

T boned once (I wasnt driving), it was pretty bad, I almost had a concussion because I hit my head extremely hard against a metal bar (it was a minivan and for some reason the owner had the windows guarded with metal bars from the inside)

And other time where somebody rear ended my dad, but it was pretty slow so no one was hurt.

A huge dodge ram also threw me off the road and my car got stuck in a very small canal

#5 Posted by foxhound_fox (88047 posts) -

I was bumped from behind during driver training in the instructors car. Old man offered my instructor $20 to cover the damage. My instructor laughed at him and got his information.

I've had a clean abstract since getting my license in 2003.

#6 Edited by ad1x2 (5560 posts) -

In the mid-90s (don't remember the exact year but I'm pretty sure I was between 13 and 14) I was on a MARTA bus when some dumbass ran a stop sign and the bus driver had to slam on the brakes. I don't remember if he still hit the car or not, but I know that I ended up flying forward a few feet and landed on the seats in front of me (the seat I was on was the front facing seat closest to the front and in front of me were the seats facing to the sides).

In 2005 in Iraq I was in the back seat of a humvee and one of the Iraqis didn't get out of our way (most of them pulled to the side of the road because vehicles that refused to were usually suicide bombers). We tried to go around him and we ended up accidentally rear-ending them. They got a few grand from Uncle Sam for that one even though their car was probably worth less than a hundred bucks and nobody in the car was hurt.

In 2006 I got rear-ended by a Coke truck while waiting to make a left turn. Car was a total loss.

In 2009 I hydroplaned during a rainstorm and slammed into the center barrier on the highway. Car also was a total loss.

#7 Posted by coasterguy65 (5922 posts) -

A few minor fender benders where someone has run into me. Once where someone pulled out of a gas station in front of me. Another where someone merged into my lane without looking. Another where someone decided that they no longer wanted to be in the left turn lane, but instead wanted to be in my lane.

Oh and I was hit in the rear sitting at a light years ago in Orlando. The guy took off, then he was dumb enough to come back through the same are as I was talking to the cop. The cop ran out in the street and stood in front of the guy to stop him...brave, but also rather stupid if you ask me.

My wife and daughter were just rear ended the other week by a guy in a truck that wasn't paying attention. Luckily for the most part they were ok, but our car was totaled. I wasn't in it.

#8 Posted by Master_Live (14402 posts) -

Twice in minor accidents when I was like between the ages of 10-12.

Never been in an accident as a driver.

#9 Edited by lamprey263 (23490 posts) -

I drive a scooter around, yes I've had my fair share of people running me out of my lane because they're goddamn idiots who don't head-check while they're driving while talking on their cellphones, but nothing I wasn't able to control though. That was while I was in Washington and in California people seem to be very considerate of me while I'm on my scooter and give me space and don't drive aggressively (can't say the same when I'm in a car though, in that case quite the opposite).

@indzman: Be careful on your bike. Three motorcycle accidents probably gives you some perspective in how things can go wrong in an instant. It's sobering just to hear in a way. Glad you're all right. I keep hearing about people on motorcycles here who get rear ended at a red light by drunk drivers and dying. I've made it a habit to watch my rear mirrors when stopped at the front of a light, or when I'm in line at one, giving myself maneuvering space in case someone comes at me quick. Or I lane split to avoid that if I can. It's best to assume every other person out there is stupid enough to kill you, drive defensively.

Anyhow, what were the other two motorbike accidents like?

#10 Edited by EPICCOMMANDER (454 posts) -
@indzman said:

Thrice on motorbikes , yesterday night a running dog came between my front wheel out of nowhere and i tipped over with all cuts and bruises, nothing broken, helmet saved me major.

I'm fine with you riding a motorbike, but you are an organ donor, right?

#11 Posted by Bikouchu35 (7384 posts) -

Twice all minor as heck. A scratch from left turn which scared me a bit since I only been driving for 3 months since I got the license at the time. The guy was gunning a yellow and drove off after. Another from an old lady at mcdonalds.

Too lazy to pursue either.

#12 Posted by indzman (17556 posts) -

@indzman: Be careful on your bike. Three motorcycle accidents probably gives you some perspective in how things can go wrong in an instant. It's sobering just to hear in a way. Glad you're all right. I keep hearing about people on motorcycles here who get rear ended at a red light by drunk drivers and dying. I've made it a habit to watch my rear mirrors when stopped at the front of a light, or when I'm in line at one, giving myself maneuvering space in case someone comes at me quick. Or I lane split to avoid that if I can. It's best to assume every other person out there is stupid enough to kill you, drive defensively.

Anyhow, what were the other two motorbike accidents like?

The other two accidents were in 2001 , one was skidding on a muddy road during rain , other was a car rear end me on turn. Thanks for the warning , i'll be more careful lol.

#13 Posted by indzman (17556 posts) -

@indzman said:

Nope , never donated any body parts till now lol. Fit as a bull =P

#14 Edited by jun_aka_pekto (15974 posts) -

@indzman said:

As far as major damage? Not really except for that one time when I hit a deer at night.

As a witness? Well, I was at the Aerospace America 1990 in Oklahoma City working as a volunteer parking lot usher so I can get in free. I was about to take photos of an aerobatic plane when I noticed it was diving almost vertically and its altitude quite low. I thought the pilot would never pull out. He didn't. His plane impacted the ground with a sickening thud. The pilot died on the spot.

Another incident I witnessed was while I was visiting the Philippines with the wife. It's a pretty dangerous place for pedestrians, especially jaywalkers. There were plenty of the latter who took their chances with vehicles whizzing by at 50-60 mph a couple of feet away. My wife does it too. Of course, I have to follow her. We were in the process of crossing the road when I saw a jaywalker get hit on the head by something sticking out from a bus. It happened in a split second. But, to me, it felt like slow motion as I saw the guy get hit on the head and his brain slowly flying out onto the road.

#15 Posted by EPICCOMMANDER (454 posts) -
@indzman said:

@EPICCOMMANDER said:
@indzman said:

Not sure if serious. You do understand what I'm talking about though right?

#16 Edited by indzman (17556 posts) -

@EPICCOMMANDER said:
@indzman said:

@EPICCOMMANDER said:
@indzman said:

No ? Please explain =P

#17 Posted by EPICCOMMANDER (454 posts) -
@indzman said:

@EPICCOMMANDER said:
@indzman said:

@EPICCOMMANDER said:

no ? Please explain =P

This is utterly criminal. This NEEDS to be taught in schools. Look anybody that drives on a road where other 2 ton / 2 thousand kilogram automobiles also drive on should be aware how lethal high-speed accidents are, but because most accidents are obviously noticed by other people, emergency services can be called in rather quickly. This presents a very unique situation for "organ donors" which is a nice way for calling the recently-deceased. You see, when you are pronounced dead by an EMT, your organs (assuming they are undamaged) are perfectly fine, and can be still be used, and put in someone else with absolutely no issues.

Now in the U.S., and I'm sure it's similar in most countries, anyone still has rights to their own body after death, and since you are not alive to waive them, they cannot use your organs unless they can contact someone who can waive them for you, which I believe is limited to your parents. If your parents are out of the country, then your organs literally just go to waste.

Over a decade ago, the DMV approved the "organ donor" flag that you can ask to be placed on your license that serves to indicate that you are okay with waiving your rights to your body after death and your organs can be used. That's the gist of it anyway. Technically you have to register here to make it really official, but I believe the mark on your license can be used in certain circumstances.

#18 Posted by indzman (17556 posts) -

@indzman said:

@EPICCOMMANDER said:
@indzman said:

@EPICCOMMANDER said:

no ? Please explain =P

This is utterly criminal. This NEEDS to be taught in schools. Look anybody that drives on a road where other 2 ton / 2 thousand kilogram automobiles also drive on should be aware how lethal high-speed accidents are, but because most accidents are obviously noticed by other people, emergency services can be called in rather quickly. This presents a very unique situation for "organ donors" which is a nice way for calling the recently-deceased. You see, when you are pronounced dead by an EMT, your organs (assuming they are undamaged) are perfectly fine, and can be still be used, and put in someone else with absolutely no issues.

Now in the U.S., and I'm sure it's similar in most countries, anyone still has rights to their own body after death, and since you are not alive to waive them, they cannot use your organs unless they can contact someone who can waive them for you, which I believe is limited to your parents. If your parents are out of the country, then your organs literally just go to waste.

Over a decade ago, the DMV approved the "organ donor" flag that you can ask to be placed on your license that serves to indicate that you are okay with waiving your rights to your body after death and your organs can be used. That's the gist of it anyway. Technically you have to register here to make it really official, but I believe the mark on your license can be used in certain circumstances.

Ahhh, Thanks for the info "ll look further into this :)

#19 Posted by EPICCOMMANDER (454 posts) -

@indzman: I singled you out because you say you ride motorbikes, and while I sincerely hope you never get into an accident, I also sincerely hope you are a registered organ donor. I'm sure you may like riding your motorbike, and I'm all for that, but a helmet doesn't grant you even a fraction of the safety of riding in a car that is protected on all sides.

#20 Posted by sukraj (22566 posts) -

no never

#21 Posted by elkoldo (1038 posts) -

Yep .once.Back in 2008 (or 09),It was a bloody cold night in winter ,2 a.m. as I recall.It was a young me ,my older brother and his friend who was driving.I was on the back seat.Some asshole swerved in front of us , and we swerved aside so as not to hit him but lost control and hit the side of the street at the intersection pretty bad.The car was totaled but we didn't pick any injuries.

#22 Edited by jasean79 (2371 posts) -

Last November I was in my first major accident.

It was the week of Thanksgiving here in the US and I was driving home from work in dark and freezing rain conditions. I was driving in the passing lane when I see the guy in front of me slam on his brakes. I swerve to the left and rear ended him. The reason he stopped was because a motorcyclist had hit a tractor trailer and fell off his bike and onto the highway, breaking his leg. Had I not reacted like I did and turned right I would've run him over and probably killed him. I wasn't injured at all, but my car was a different story. The guy I hit was fine as was the condition of his car, from what I could tell.

My car had about $12k worth of damages. Only because it's a 2012 model did they not total it. Since I got it repaired though, I've had no problems with it.

This is my car that night:

#23 Edited by thegerg (15028 posts) -

yes

#24 Posted by Korvus (3526 posts) -

Yep, my parents told me I was one.

#25 Posted by indzman (17556 posts) -

@korvus said:

snort

#26 Posted by Korvus (3526 posts) -

@indzman said:

@korvus said:

snort

Between you and my father, only one of you was amused by that =P

#27 Posted by Boddicker (2687 posts) -

A couple major accidents and many minor ones.

The first one I was on a roadtrip asleep in the passenger seat (it was my car) and the POS who was driving fell asleep at the wheel. An ambulance watched us wreck miraculously.

The second I was driving to school and this lady turns left right in front of me. If I didn't turn at the last second and spin out it would have been like hitting a brick wall at 55-60 mph. I knocked her rear axle off and she landed on top of another car. Luckily everbody walked away from it.

As for the minor ones...............let's just say I used to be an hardcore alcoholic. That's all been behind me for a few years.

#28 Posted by ShepardCommandr (2566 posts) -

Nope.

I don't drive and i never leave the basement.

#29 Edited by roulettethedog (10965 posts) -

Some dumb lady hit my F-250 truck. The damage was minimal, but I got $1,600 from my insurance company.

#30 Posted by indzman (17556 posts) -
#31 Posted by Sword-Demon (6970 posts) -

three.

One was my fault, but extremely minor. was making a U-turn and expected the guy in front of me to go since there was no oncoming traffic, so I looked away to see if it was still clear for me to go; I looked back and saw the guy in front of me at a dead stop, slammed on my brakes, and lightly tapped him.

Another time, traffic came to a stop on the interstate and the guy behind me slammed into me and sent my car into the car ahead of me. totaled the car, but insurance actually gave me more than I spent on it.

The worst one was when I was crossing an intersection and a guy coming from the opposite direction decided to make a left turn straight into me. crushed in the front end of my car

#32 Posted by whipassmt (14024 posts) -

Many years ago, when I was a little kid my father took me and a few of my cousins to the local grocery store to buy some ice-cream. A truck backed into my fathers car in the parking lot. A few years later the guy that got in the accident with us started dating my aunt, go figure.

#33 Edited by Shottayouth13- (6787 posts) -

I've only been in minor run-ins that wasn't really anything serious.

I have however, been directly behind a semi serious accident taking place, avoided thanks to quick, sharp braking from my mother.