Has post-1960s parenting become way to lenient and lax?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for samanthademeste
samanthademeste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Has post-1960s parenting become way to lenient and lax? (23 votes)

Yes 52%
No 48%

I am going to play the devils advocate here and say yes. I know I sound like a grumpy old man stuck in the past but let's look at current day parenting from a non-biased prospective. Most kids and teenagers get whatever they want these days and if they don't get what they want or are told no they throw temper tantrums, fits, etc. and call up social workers to tell them they are being "oppressed" by their parents. The parents don't want to get in trouble or get their kids taken away so they spoil them rotten and rarely, if ever, correct them when they do something bad or wrong.

• 
Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#1  Edited By deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

Here's the OP again minus the asshole rectangle =P

I am going to play the devils advocate here and say yes. I know I sound like a grumpy old man stuck in the past but let's look at current day parenting from a non-biased prospective. Most kids and teenagers get whatever they want these days and if they don't get what they want or are told no they throw temper tantrums, fits, etc. and call up social workers to tell them they are being "oppressed" by their parents. The parents don't want to get in trouble or get their kids taken away so they spoil them rotten and rarely, if ever, correct them when they do something bad or wrong.

samanthademeste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 samanthademeste
Member since 2010 • 1553 Posts

@korvus: Thank you. I don't know why the rectangle keeps popping up every-time I make a topic.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 deactivated-5b797108c254e

@samanthademeste: Polls text is a bit messed up at the moment so whenever I see a poll I always try to copy the OP.

plageus900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4 plageus900
Member since 2013 • 3065 Posts

I don't know. I myself am not a parent yet.

I'll say this though: Whenever I go to a store, restaurant, any public area, etc. , Eight times out of Ten, I see children misbehaving and their parents not doing a damned thing about it. I was at a restaurant the other day with my girlfriend and there was a couple with their two children next to us. They were allowing their children to yell and scream and climb around the table and booth seats. I was at Subway not long ago and while I was choosing what I wanted on my Sub, this mother and her son were in line behind me. Her son pushed past me and started grabbing at the chips on rack and yelled at his mom "I want this". She didn't do a damned thing until I caught her eyes and glared at her. I've also been to clothing stores and watched children run around clothing racks, knocking shit over and causing all kinds of mayhem. Their parents just allow it to happen.

I honestly don't know what it is. I know when I was a kid, I would never have been allowed to act so unruly. I wanted adults to like me.

samanthademeste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 samanthademeste

@thegerg said:

" Most kids and teenagers get whatever they want these days"

I don't know what kind of privileged atmosphere you're living in, but I just don't see that here. Sure, there are a lot of asshole, punk kids out there, but that's really nothing new.

Where do you live, may I ask? I live in Canada. (More specifically, the province of Quebec.)

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 ad1x2
Member since 2005 • 8430 Posts

Some parenting techniques from the past just have no place in the present. There were people that felt making your child miss a meal as punishment for misbehavior was acceptable, for example. Other forms of punishment are probably fine but because of fears of the law stepping in parents may avoid them, causing their children to get out of control.

samanthademeste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 samanthademeste

@ad1x2 said:

Some parenting techniques from the past just have no place in the present. There were people that felt making your child miss a meal as punishment for misbehavior was acceptable, for example. Other forms of punishment are probably fine but because of fears of the law stepping in parents may avoid them, causing their children to get out of control.

I am not saying that parents should beat, assault, harass, starve, torture, etc. their children. But they do need to be corrected and told when they do something bad or wrong.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#10 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@korvus said:

Here's the OP again minus the asshole rectangle =P

I will answer the OP through the fixed post :D

But yes todays parents are generation curling 2.0 and in some cases 3.0 and they have no idea on how to teach their kids to have respect for others and not think that the world revolves around them, It´s absolute terrible in some cases and we have young generations coming out to the world with 0 experience in taking care of themselves.

So the answer is yes, and we do kinda have the 60´s liberal generation to blame, since they created the very early Beta version of the curling parents.

Megane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11  Edited By Megane
Member since 2015 • 685 Posts

No. I believe in positive reinforcement, negativity only leads to more negativity, the child might behave but it will come at the cost of fear, discontent or future rebellion. Which in turn will cause them to treat their kids the same way.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56087 Posts

@korvus said:

@samanthademeste: Polls text is a bit messed up at the moment so whenever I see a poll I always try to copy the OP.

Just want to point out that while on Mobile, there visible to read but while on PC, it's cut in half. My advice, when doing a poll/thread, always make a second post just for the text so we can see what the TC has said.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-5b797108c254e

@davillain-: I agree =)

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

My kids are fine. I had to administer some spanking maybe a couple time when they were 3 or 4 years old. Once they learned to listen when they should (I have a distinct tone of voice when I'm dead serious), I never had to spank them again.

During some days, it might take some prodding to get the youngest to do her homework. Other days, she gets on it right away. Either way, she gets done what needs to get done.

I was hoping the eldest kid would move out when she turned 18. Nope. She likes it here.

The kids trust me because I don't promise the world when there are things that need to be done. But, when I do make a promise, I keep it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#15 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

I dont know about parenting techniques, but probably the biggest problem is the dissolution of the family. You need 2 parents to raise kids effectively. Kids from single parent families just dont do as well - at least according to statistics and studies.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts

Regardless of the validity of past parenting techniques, I reckon that there is an epidemic of insolence and overindulgence pervading youngsters. I don't have kids but I do have "rambunctious" nephews and cousins and boy what a disaster of parenting befell the world. Their behavior often gets me to space out and imagine the reaction I'd have gotten if I behaved similarly as a child, and I always arrive at the same conclusion: I'd have been smitten; all it used to take was a glare of my parents and I'd go radio silent.

Although I blame parents for their leniency and blatant lethargy, I still feel for them. There's a pandemic of hyperactivity that parallels the epidemic of insolence-my nephews maintain the same stamina from 6 A.M until my sister forces them to go to bed at 9 P.M. Considering life's demands, a parent is hard pressed to find the resources and the will to keep up with such high maintenance.

At any rate, if past parenting techniques were as abhorrent as some contend then the alternative shouldn't have turned out to be abolishing parenting.

Avatar image for deactivated-598fc45371265
deactivated-598fc45371265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#17  Edited By deactivated-598fc45371265
Member since 2008 • 13247 Posts

ah, the good old days when you could just take your child behind the barn and whip them.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23032 Posts

You do realize that every generation says the same thing, right?

Avatar image for MakeMeaSammitch
MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 MakeMeaSammitch
Member since 2012 • 4889 Posts

Studies have shown that kids turn out better today than ever before in terms of teen pregnancy, drop out rates, education rates, ect.

leafs_ducks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#21 leafs_ducks
Member since 2005 • 2881 Posts

back in the day if i misbehave, i would've gotten a backhand right there and once i get home. its the whip.

kids nowadays have no respect for anything or anyone. sometimes i just want to knock them the **** out. pisses me off every time.

i have a son, hes only a few months old, but I'm gonna teach him how to respect his elders and surroundings. i won't be as violent as my dad was to me. a good spanking would teach them what they did was wrong and unacceptable.

my cousin has a son, and they used to come over all the time. his mother is the same, lets him do whatever he wants. when i told him to stop misbehaving, he wouldn't. i took his hand and smack it. not hard. but a good smack, to this day. every time he sees me. he would sit quietly and not misbehave.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-5b797108c254e

@leafs_ducks: Wishing you the best of luck raising your child and lots of happy memories to go with it =)

TheHighWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 TheHighWind
Member since 2003 • 5724 Posts

Just whoop 'em.

samanthademeste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 samanthademeste

@Storm_Marine said:

ah, the good old days when you could just take your child behind the barn and whip them.

Because parents who give their kids and teenagers carte blanche are the intellectual god kings and goddess queens of today's day and age, am I right?

edwise18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 edwise18
Member since 2008 • 1533 Posts

@samanthademeste said:
@ad1x2 said:

I am not saying that parents should beat, assault, harass, starve, torture, etc. their children. But they do need to be corrected and told when they do something bad or wrong.

Yes to the OP. And this.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 SOedipus  Online
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

Absolutely. Another problem I notice is how over medicated children are due to lazy parenting. Unfortunately, you notice most of these things in families who are less fortunate (or drug addict parents), but I'm from a first world country. There are programs out there to help them out. Put your kid in a sport and get them active.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

It's only downhill from here, although there's some parents that still raise their kids with respect.

samanthademeste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By samanthademeste

Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to tell people how to raise their kids. I am just making a factual observation based on my real life experience.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#29 deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

Peaceful parenting, and negotiation is the key. If you're too stupid to think of anything other than hitting your children you should not be a parent. People whine and scream bloody murder when a man hits a woman, because of the size and strength difference, but there's far less of a stigma when hitting a child who's difference in size to the former comparison is FAR greater.

It takes preparation and diligence to be a good parent.

@sonicare said:

I dont know about parenting techniques, but probably the biggest problem is the dissolution of the family. You need 2 parents to raise kids effectively. Kids from single parent families just dont do as well - at least according to statistics and studies.

This is another major issue. More so fatherless-ness, the welfare state and in the 70's, women were made to feel unfulfilled because they didn't have a career. And then fathers and mothers who work all the time and send their kids off to daycare and rigid day planning, and let other people raise their kids, poorly. Parents, esp. the mother who should be with them the majority of the time should spend the first few years with their kids.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#30 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

Depends where you live in this world.

In the US it's more lenient but child safety has become a bigger priority since then. I think parents have lost some control due to technology and have their children dependent on that instead of actually being raised by a parent.

silkylove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#31 silkylove
Member since 2002 • 8579 Posts

I was beat, but I'm glad that corporal punishment is becoming less tolerated. Plenty of studies show that it has an overall negative affect on child development.