Has Gamespot become less popular?

• 56 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by hyrueprince11 (5722 posts) -

I don't know if this is because I've been visiting a very popular website with a large community in the past couple of years but I feel like Gamespot (and many other internet communities) have been getting less and less popular every day.

#2 Edited by Iszdope (8894 posts) -

Sleepin' wif da fishes.

#3 Edited by hyrueprince11 (5722 posts) -

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure that 2 or 3 years ago after 15 minutes of making a thread in this board it would've had quite a few responses or it would've been on page 2.

Could the activity decline have something to do with the gamefaqs/gamespot divorce?

#4 Posted by Trail_Mix (2021 posts) -

Yeah, there really isn't much going on around the forums nowadays. I'd like to be more active myself, but I'm having a hard time keeping my interest here.

I wonder where everyone went.

#5 Edited by 4myAmuzumament (1330 posts) -

@Trail_Mix said:

Yeah, there really isn't much going on around the forums nowadays. I'd like to be more active myself, but I'm having a hard time keeping my interest here.

create a topic you're interested in hearing discussion about. that's what OT is supposed to be.

#6 Posted by Trail_Mix (2021 posts) -
@Trail_Mix said:

create a topic you're interested in hearing discussion about. that's what OT is supposed to be.

I would, but I never know what to talk about. heh

#7 Posted by hyrueprince11 (5722 posts) -

The site's redesign doesn't seem to have helped at all

#8 Posted by Dogswithguns (10596 posts) -

it's dying.. or something like that.

#10 Posted by chicknfeet (15590 posts) -

Seems that people lost interest when they learned the final product presented by GS was not quite a solid product. I know it's frustrating seeing a lot of other features on the site getting more love than the community features.

#11 Posted by Pirate700 (46418 posts) -

OT certainly seems to be void of much activity.

#12 Posted by Floppy_Jim (25058 posts) -

Shit's dead. Feels like two thirds of the community have vanished.

#13 Posted by LJS9502_basic (148558 posts) -

Less popular? It's dead.

#14 Edited by Macutchi (3903 posts) -
#15 Edited by StrifeDelivery (1130 posts) -
#16 Posted by hyrueprince11 (5722 posts) -

Less popular? It's dead.

Do you know what happened? I remember your username

Seems that people lost interest when they learned the final product presented by GS was not quite a solid product. I know it's frustrating seeing a lot of other features on the site getting more love than the community features.

Pretty stupid IMO, the real reason to visit GS was the community, news and reviews were always late.

#17 Posted by Smashbrossive50 (2820 posts) -

The declining popularity of this site would have been the worst case I have ever came across to

Seriously,I can't work a lot of stuffs when the html function isn't there,so were the emoticons.the site seems to fell under impression to site features than user satisfaction.

#18 Posted by microsoft4life (937 posts) -

I feel once the site redesigned happened this place lost a lot of its charm.

#19 Posted by tofu-lion91 (13481 posts) -

Less popular? It's dead.

Holy crap dude you're still on here! How's things going? GS has certainly changed appearance since I last logged on :P

#20 Posted by dave123321 (32603 posts) -

I don't really know if it's less popular.

#21 Posted by dave123321 (32603 posts) -

Good to see you gain tofu

#22 Posted by LZ71 (10208 posts) -

It doesn't necessarily seem less popular than right before the redesign. To be honest the boards were pretty slow then too.

#23 Posted by limpbizkit818 (14991 posts) -

I noticed a slow down back when the mods were purging a lot of popular users. OT never recovered imo, even after they relaxed the rules.

Who knows.........

#24 Edited by LJS9502_basic (148558 posts) -

@LJS9502_basic said:

Less popular? It's dead.

Holy crap dude you're still on here! How's things going? GS has certainly changed appearance since I last logged on :P

Haha....I'm lucky to post once a day here now. Site is dead. Started right before the redesign....and then got worse after the redesign. Hope things are well with you.

#25 Edited by dave123321 (32603 posts) -
#26 Edited by RadecSupreme (4523 posts) -

Yea, it's because of the new shitty website and forum format.

#27 Posted by GazaAli (21482 posts) -

Less popular? More like less populated :3

#28 Posted by luke1889 (14617 posts) -

When I logged back in a few days ago (after quite some time), I was actually pleasantly surprised to see that the forums were lacking a lot of the childish and pointless threads that used to plague them in years gone by. Just my take really. xD

#29 Edited by EnoshimaJunko (174 posts) -

@LZ71 said:

It doesn't necessarily seem less popular than right before the redesign. To be honest the boards were pretty slow then too.

Nah, I remember this place being more active than it is now post-redesign. Not insanely active, but certainly more active than it is now.

@GazaAli said:

Isn't that kinda the same thing in this case?

#30 Posted by GazaAli (21482 posts) -

@GazaAli said:

Isn't that kinda the same thing in this case?

It is, I was just trying to do a "clever" wordplay or something.

#31 Edited by br0kenrabbit (12248 posts) -

Haha....I'm lucky to post once a day here now. Site is dead. Started right before the redesign....and then got worse after the redesign. Hope things are well with you.

I'd say it started with the GS/GB split, and of course TDH. It was slowing down before that, even, but Gertsmangate seems to have been the accelerant on the fire.

#32 Posted by hyrueprince11 (5722 posts) -

@LJS9502_basic said:

I'd say it started with the GS/GB split, and of course TDH. It was slowing down before that, even, but Gertsmangate seems to have been the accelerant on the fire.

Gertsmangate happened a long time before the gf/gs split

#33 Posted by br0kenrabbit (12248 posts) -

I didn't say GF/GS. I said GS/GB.

Gertsmangate was the reason for the GS/GB split.

#34 Posted by hyrueprince11 (5722 posts) -

@hyrueprince11 said:

I didn't say GF/GS. I said GS/GB.

Gertsmangate was the reason for the GS/GB split.

Oh... you meant giantbomb (sorry, didn't even remember that place)

#35 Edited by BranKetra (46516 posts) -

If you would like to, read the following threads for some information about the reasons site activity is in its current state. Also, the Bug Reporting and Feedback Forum has many threads about user opinions of the current version of GameSpot with sometimes politely critical reasoning. Be aware that many threads have critical comments about the current site with little niceness if any at all.

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/bug-reporting-feedback-1000006/trolling-allowed-why-30879849/

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/offtopic-discussion-314159273/ot-games-talk-30944398/

#36 Posted by Master_Live (12295 posts) -

Haven't noticed.

#37 Posted by drekula2 (1661 posts) -

this usually happens. most websites that were really popular and then declines were all for the same reason. the website crashed or dramatically changed the layout, so nobody used it for a week. and then they never recovered from it.

#38 Posted by jimy1475 (1091 posts) -

theres more and more spam in here

#39 Posted by megagene (22887 posts) -

OT is dead and buried. My one post per day or sometimes every other day) is like a symbolic rose that I drop on the OT tombstone out of respect for it when it was alive and bustling.

#40 Posted by chrisrooR (9026 posts) -

Yea, it's because of the new shitty website and forum format.

+1

I used to post all the time. Now I really don't ever feel inclined to login and post unless it's a topic about bringing back the old website.

I mean seriously, this PoS website has HALF the functionality the other one did, the design is terrible, there are a staggering amount of bugs and it's way slower.

That's why this site is dead now.

#41 Posted by Makhaidos (1413 posts) -

I wonder where everyone went.

Outside, apparently.

#42 Edited by jimy1475 (1091 posts) -

Did they rushed the new website design or something

#43 Posted by lamprey263 (21022 posts) -

I think the transition to the new system is what did it, and not because the new system is what it is, but while it was transitioning there was a shit ton of issues that made using the site a nightmare, and I think people abandoned it mainly to its flaky functionality.

#44 Edited by edinsftw (4196 posts) -

Well the new site kinda ruined it for me, I probably will not be here too much longer considering they got rid of the hardware and audio forums. I mean hell I'm even looking in off topic which I never did/do.

Plus signatures were one of the awesome things about gs and that's gone too now.

#45 Edited by Bane_09 (3394 posts) -

@edinsftw: Yup the removal of sigs was a terrible idea.

The whole site redesign is awful in general

#46 Posted by Behardy24 (366 posts) -

This place still looks lively to me.

#47 Posted by Curlyfrii87 (14850 posts) -

I remember a day when i couldn't keep up with the posts in OT. Now i find my self sadly waiting for someone to reply to the thread i posted in, only to be disappointed by finding the thread derailed.

#48 Edited by ferrari2001 (16289 posts) -

Lets be honest, gamespot forums popularity has been on the decline for years.

This place still looks lively to me.

Nothing like a few years ago. And definitely a lot different than 5+ years ago.

#49 Edited by jimkabrhel (15383 posts) -

It used to be a fun place to post, but now it's a wasteland.

#50 Edited by LJS9502_basic (148558 posts) -

Definitely.....