Has American culture influence on European culture?

• 90 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by NineThou (33 posts) -
A simple question.
#2 Posted by comp_atkins (31269 posts) -
america's biggest export is culture.. so yes it does.
#3 Posted by Funky_Llama (18428 posts) -
It has indeed. In the UK, for example, most British comedy is awful, so US comedy fills what I like to call the lolvacuum.
#4 Posted by jointed (16719 posts) -
Yes, and European culture has influenced American culture. America is basically Europe 1.5
#5 Posted by LeePearce (1243 posts) -
Yes, and European culture has influenced American culture. America is basically Europe 1.5jointed
Agreed after WW2 the UK was in dire need of a renewed culture. Americanisation took place, and people in the UK began watching American movies, and copying the fashion of Americans (Teddy Boys). However shortly after this period, the culture of the UK was also incorporated into America. Especially through music such as the Beatles and the Rolling Stones.
#6 Posted by Witchsight (12143 posts) -
Are chavs somehow a byproduct of the US, are are they straight up Europe?
#7 Posted by Amon-Amarth (81 posts) -
It has indeed. In the UK, for example, most British comedy is awful, so US comedy fills what I like to call the lolvacuum.Funky_Llama
Your obviously watching the wrong stuff, British comedy is as good as the American shows, are you refering to stuff like scrubs, the simpsons etc.? The trouble with British TV at the moment is reality shows.
#8 Posted by jointed (16719 posts) -
[QUOTE="jointed"]Yes, and European culture has influenced American culture. America is basically Europe 1.5LeePearce
Agreed after WW2 the UK was in dire need of a renewed culture. Americanisation took place, and people in the UK began watching American movies, and copying the fashion of Americans (Teddy Boys). However shortly after this period, the culture of the UK was also incorporated into America. Especially through music such as the Beatles and the Rolling Stones.

Hmm, seems like you're forgetting the fact that America was created by Europeans though ;) Because of this, America has an inherent Europeaness to it. Nowadays, we're basically the same...at least when it comes to culture.
#9 Posted by Boba_Fett_3710 (8783 posts) -
Are chavs somehow a byproduct of the US, are are they straight up Europe?Witchsight
They seem very similar to Americas Guidos. I say they are a European alternative to the American product.
#10 Posted by NightStalkerBX (2032 posts) -

[QUOTE="LeePearce"][QUOTE="jointed"]Yes, and European culture has influenced American culture. America is basically Europe 1.5jointed

Hmm, seems like you're forgetting the fact that America was created by Europeans though ;) Because of this, America has an inherent Europeaness to it. Nowadays, we're basically the same...at least when it comes to culture.

Except we don't have the cool accents... :(

#11 Posted by Theokhoth (36799 posts) -

Yes, and European culture has influenced American culture. America is basically Europe 1.5jointed

The original was better. 1.5 has too many bugs. :x

#12 Posted by freshgman (12241 posts) -
yes indeed.
#13 Posted by CBR600-RR (9690 posts) -

It has indeed. In the UK, for example, most British comedy is awful, so US comedy fills what I like to call the lolvacuum.Funky_Llama

The only good comedy from America is Scrubs and Simpsons and they are now old.

We have Harry Hill's TV Burp. 8)

#14 Posted by Boba_Fett_3710 (8783 posts) -

[QUOTE="Funky_Llama"]It has indeed. In the UK, for example, most British comedy is awful, so US comedy fills what I like to call the lolvacuum.CBR600-RR

The only good comedy from America is Scrubs and Simpsons and they are now old.

We have Harry Hill's TV Burp. 8)

I disagree. As far as comedy goes, America has Kat Williams, George Carlin, George Lopez and many other great entertainers. I'm not too keen on stand up in the UK, but I thought Russell Brand was one of the better talents.
#15 Posted by Funky_Llama (18428 posts) -
[QUOTE="Funky_Llama"]It has indeed. In the UK, for example, most British comedy is awful, so US comedy fills what I like to call the lolvacuum.Amon-Amarth
Your obviously watching the wrong stuff, British comedy is as good as the American shows, are you refering to stuff like scrubs, the simpsons etc.? The trouble with British TV at the moment is reality shows.

Well, I do like Scrubs a lot. :D
#16 Posted by Funky_Llama (18428 posts) -
We have Harry Hill's TV Burp. 8)CBR600-RR
I love TV Burp. :P
#17 Posted by comp_atkins (31269 posts) -
Are chavs somehow a byproduct of the US, are are they straight up Europe?Witchsight
what the hell is a chav???
#18 Posted by Theokhoth (36799 posts) -

[QUOTE="Witchsight"]Are chavs somehow a byproduct of the US, are are they straight up Europe?comp_atkins

British gangsta wannabe.

#19 Posted by LJS9502_basic (150350 posts) -
hmmm....I don't see European influence. Perhaps you could be more specific.
#20 Posted by Jandurin (95544 posts) -
[QUOTE="Witchsight"]Are chavs somehow a byproduct of the US, are are they straight up Europe?comp_atkins

lulz From what I've heard, they're basically thugs. but, not hard. Like, whiny thugs? Whiny almost thugs?
#21 Posted by bigblunt537 (6827 posts) -

[QUOTE="jointed"][QUOTE="LeePearce"] Agreed after WW2 the UK was in dire need of a renewed culture. Americanisation took place, and people in the UK began watching American movies, and copying the fashion of Americans (Teddy Boys). However shortly after this period, the culture of the UK was also incorporated into America. Especially through music such as the Beatles and the Rolling Stones. NightStalkerBX

I'm actually very happy with my NY accent. Wouldn't give it away for anything lol
#22 Posted by super_mario_128 (23885 posts) -

No! Not this again! :cry:
#23 Posted by jointed (16719 posts) -
[QUOTE="jointed"]Yes, and European culture has influenced American culture. America is basically Europe 1.5LJS9502_basic

Hmm, look at your language, names and holidays for starters. aha.
#24 Posted by Jandurin (95544 posts) -
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="jointed"]Yes, and European culture has influenced American culture. America is basically Europe 1.5jointed

We got rid of all the 'u's! And turned your 's's into 'z's.
#25 Posted by Theokhoth (36799 posts) -

[QUOTE="jointed"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]hmmm....I don't see European influence. Perhaps you could be more specific.Jandurin

We got rid of all the 'u's! And turned your 's's into 'z's.

No, that's how it originally was, but they took a perfectly good language and violated it. :x

We're just putting it back to normal through therapy.

#26 Posted by LJS9502_basic (150350 posts) -

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="jointed"]Yes, and European culture has influenced American culture. America is basically Europe 1.5jointed

So the UK is basically Germany 1.5. Look at the language.:o

Those things you named are not culture. And holidays? I'm not sure what you mean. MLK Day....President's Day, Labor Day, Independence Day, Memorial Day, Veterans Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's. Which of those are inherently European?

#27 Posted by comp_atkins (31269 posts) -
[QUOTE="comp_atkins"][QUOTE="Witchsight"]Are chavs somehow a byproduct of the US, are are they straight up Europe?Jandurin

lulz From what I've heard, they're basically thugs. but, not hard. Like, whiny thugs? Whiny almost thugs?

like an emo gangsta?
#28 Posted by InterpolWilco (2487 posts) -
[QUOTE="NightStalkerBX"]

[QUOTE="jointed"] Hmm, seems like you're forgetting the fact that America was created by Europeans though ;) Because of this, America has an inherent Europeaness to it. Nowadays, we're basically the same...at least when it comes to culture.bigblunt537

I'm actually very happy with my NY accent. Wouldn't give it away for anything lol

Agreed.
#29 Posted by jointed (16719 posts) -

[QUOTE="jointed"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]hmmm....I don't see European influence. Perhaps you could be more specific.LJS9502_basic

Those things you named are not culture. And holidays? I'm not sure what you mean. MLK Day....President's Day, Labor Day, Independence Day, Memorial Day, Veterans Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's. Which of those are inherently European?

They sure are. And I thought you celebrated Christmas. Some of your arcitecture is also inherently European.

Are you seriously doubting the fact that America has been influenced by European culture? or are you just playing the devils advocate or something? America was created by Europeans, which makes your whole country a spawn of Europe. Now...let's dance.

#30 Posted by bigblunt537 (6827 posts) -
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

[QUOTE="jointed"] Hmm, look at your language, names and holidays for starters. aha.jointed

They sure are. And I thought you celebrated Christmas. Some of your arcitecture is also inherently European.

Are you seriously doubting the fact that America has been influenced by European culture? or are you just playing the devils advocate or something? America was created by Europeans, which makes your whole country a spawn of Europe. Now...let's dance.

I'm down lets dance!
#31 Posted by Boba_Fett_3710 (8783 posts) -

America was created by Europeansjointed

Oi, America was FOUNDED by Europeans, the country itself is the manifestation/collaboration of many cultures from around the world.

I'm not sure how diverse culture is in other parts of the world but I, for one, enjoy being able to see a little bit of everyone from everywhere living in America.

#32 Posted by xTheExploited (12094 posts) -
Lol never before have I seen such a comment with as much fail as this. :lol: You were being sarcastic right? :D
#33 Posted by LJS9502_basic (150350 posts) -

jointed

What I'm saying is that the US has no definable European culture/customs etc. Christmas by the way is religious and was first celebrated by the Eastern Christians....yes some of the symbols are European....like the tree I suppose but that does not mean the US has the same general culture that is found in Europe. You've visited here...did you think you were still in Europe?

Having some commonalities due to the early days of the country does not mean it's still Eurocentric. But if you believe they are similar I can only reply that European culture is nothing special then.

#34 Posted by jointed (16719 posts) -

[QUOTE="jointed"]America was created by EuropeansBoba_Fett_3710

Oi, America was FOUNDED by Europeans, the country itself is the manifestation/collaboration of many cultures from around the world.

I'm not sure how diverse culture is in other parts of the world but I, for one, enjoy being able to see a little bit of everyone from everywhere living in America.

Yeah, I've heard that before. Name some of these cultures please.

#35 Posted by xTheExploited (12094 posts) -

A chav is someone who walks around in complete sweat clothes, normally Adidas. Act really hard in a large group of people, but get them alone and they are like a kitten, in the vulnerability kind of way. They are not normally the most intelligent of people. They have a lot of their own words like Brap and Blap, mostly just nonsense. They are normally quite ugly, and their women are big time whores, but only Chav boys will touch them cos they are also pretty rank. Not much else to say, they smoke alot, but then again everyone does.
#36 Posted by Bourbons3 (24248 posts) -
There has been a constant Americanisation of European culture since the Second World War. Its generally more evident in Britain and Western Europe.
#37 Posted by Boba_Fett_3710 (8783 posts) -
[QUOTE="Boba_Fett_3710"]

[QUOTE="jointed"]America was created by Europeansjointed

I don't think I really have too, history speaks for itself. If you look at Western expansion in the united states, you will see that people from all around the globe headed for the US during the gold rush. I'm sure there are several other instances but that's one event that sticks in my head.
#38 Posted by Brutal_Elitegs (16179 posts) -
[QUOTE="comp_atkins"][QUOTE="Witchsight"]Are chavs somehow a byproduct of the US, are are they straight up Europe?xTheExploited

A chav is someone who walks around in complete sweat clothes, normally Adidas. Act really hard in a large group of people, but get them alone and they are like a kitten, in the vulnerability kind of way. They are not normally the most intelligent of people. They have a lot of their own words like Brap and Blap, mostly just nonsense. They are normally quite ugly, and their women are big time whores, but only Chav boys will touch them cos they are also pretty rank. Not much else to say, they smoke alot, but then again everyone does.

and they spit, they spit a lot.
#39 Posted by markop2003 (29917 posts) -
Well sitcom wise it is but Britain has much better standup and panel shows
#40 Posted by xTheExploited (12094 posts) -
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="jointed"]

What I'm saying is that the US has no definable European culture/customs etc. Christmas by the way is religious and was first celebrated by the Eastern Christians....yes some of the symbols are European....like the tree I suppose but that does not mean the US has the same general culture that is found in Europe. You've visited here...did you think you were still in Europe?

Having some commonalities due to the early days of the country does not mean it's still Eurocentric. But if you believe they are similar I can only reply that European culture is nothing special then.

I thought the holiday Christmas, not the celebration of Christ, but the holiday was first celebrated by the Pagans who were apart of what is today Europe?
#41 Posted by markop2003 (29917 posts) -

[QUOTE="jointed"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]hmmm....I don't see European influence. Perhaps you could be more specific.LJS9502_basic

I don't see how that is possilbe as Germany hasn't existed as long as England, it was just city states up to a couple 100 years ago Memorial day is European as it was created due to a European war, England has it on the same day as the US.
#42 Posted by jointed (16719 posts) -
[QUOTE="jointed"]

LJS9502_basic

I'm not saying you're Eurocentric, you have an independent culture...things such as corndogs and erm...thanksgiving doesn't exist in Europe. I'm saying that parts of our cultures are intertwined because of the common origin.

We share a common European political belief system, democracy, and use a common European economic ideology, capitalism. Which is the only thing that matters nowadays, or so it seems.

#43 Posted by tocklestein2005 (5532 posts) -
sure, why not.
#44 Posted by markop2003 (29917 posts) -
[QUOTE="xTheExploited"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="jointed"]

I thought the holiday Christmas, not the celebration of Christ, but the holiday was first celebrated by the Pagans who were apart of what is today Europe?

true, it was a celebration of the coming of spring as the days start getting longer from the 25th onwards
#45 Posted by LJS9502_basic (150350 posts) -
I thought the holiday Christmas, not the celebration of Christ, but the holiday was first celebrated by the Pagans who were apart of what is today Europe?xTheExploited
Well first we have to clarify. The pagan holiday is not celebrated anymore. The date is the same. The religious leaders of the time took the date because they knew it was a hard sell to remove partying. But Christmas as a holiday is originally religious. It means Christ's mass and was not celebrated by pagans. But the idea of celebrating the birth of Christ predates even the use of the word Christmas.
#46 Posted by markop2003 (29917 posts) -

[QUOTE="jointed"][QUOTE="LeePearce"] Agreed after WW2 the UK was in dire need of a renewed culture. Americanisation took place, and people in the UK began watching American movies, and copying the fashion of Americans (Teddy Boys). However shortly after this period, the culture of the UK was also incorporated into America. Especially through music such as the Beatles and the Rolling Stones. NightStalkerBX

Which accents specifically? I doubt you'ld be saying that about a Newcastle or scouse accent
#47 Posted by jointed (16719 posts) -
[QUOTE="jointed"][QUOTE="Boba_Fett_3710"]

Boba_Fett_3710

I don't think I really have too, history speaks for itself. If you look at Western expansion in the united states, you will see that people from all around the globe headed for the US during the gold rush. I'm sure there are several other instances but that's one event that sticks in my head.

It obviously doesn't.

The only non-Europeans who brought their culture along with them were the Chinese. This is my claim, are you able to disprove it or not?

#48 Posted by Dante2710 (63137 posts) -
Not really, there are sooo many different cultures living in the US
#49 Posted by LJS9502_basic (150350 posts) -

I'm not saying you're Eurocentric, you have an independent culture...things such as corndogs and erm...thanksgiving doesn't exist in Europe. I'm saying that parts of our cultures are intertwined because of the common origin.

We share a common European political belief system, democracy, and use a common European economic ideology, capitalism. Which is the only thing that matters nowadays, or so it seems.

jointed
Which means calling us Europe 1.5 was not the correct choice of words. When I speak of culture I'm talking about more than origin and politics. Those are but only a small part of a country and the day to day living actually. By the way...we don't ALL eat corndogs. Now...we can dance.:x
#50 Posted by links136 (2400 posts) -
yep, europeans are starting to get fatter.