Guitarists of OT, I need some help

This topic is locked from further discussion.

GHlegend77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 GHlegend77
Member since 2009 • 10328 Posts

This local guitar shop is selling both an Epiphone Les Paul (middle quality, not the worst, but not the best) and an ESP Les Paul copy. I've demoed both of them, and am trying to decide which to get. The main plus of the ESP for me is the tremolo, which will be handy, because I play a lot of both grunge/alternative and Steve Vai/Satch-y stuff. Which one has the best sound for what I play, and which one should I get? I'll find the best pics I can for both.

ESP:

(The guitar I'm looking at looks very similar, but they aren't the same model)

I'm really thinking about getting the les Paul though. Anyone know how much I would be looking to get one with a Bigsby? The one with no tremolo is running about $400

nintendoman562

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 nintendoman562
Member since 2007 • 5593 Posts

From my experience, I prefer the Epiphone.

Parandrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Parandrus
Member since 2008 • 2511 Posts

I don't really like single cut guitars, so I don't play them that often and can't comment much on how they sound. My friend has the Epiphone, though, and it did have a pretty nice sound, not much better than his old Pacifica, so take what you want from that. It broke easily, too. The strings kept snapping and the jack got ripped out. He might have just taken bad care of it.

mattpunkgd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 mattpunkgd
Member since 2007 • 2198 Posts
I have an ec-1000 (In my sig is the one I have). Best guitar ever. No joke.
admiralperry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 admiralperry
Member since 2009 • 53 Posts

If you play metal and such, ESP. If you play more rock and blues, the Epiphone IMO. Also, I'm pretty sure Kurt Cobain played a Fender, if that influences you at all. :P

SoraX64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#6 SoraX64
Member since 2008 • 29221 Posts
Get one of those. So you can sleep with it.
needled24-7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 needled24-7
Member since 2007 • 15902 Posts

if you don't already know this, know that changing strings/changing tunings with a tremolo, is a *****. doing divebombs are cool and stuff, but getting frustrated changing strings is not :/

admiralperry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 admiralperry

I saw the Bigsby question, order one on Guitar Center and get one put on, I don't think you can get an Epiphone Les Paul with a Bigsby.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Bigsby-B7-Arch-Top-Solid-Body-Bridge-300207-i1322869.gc

That's on Guitar Center, try looking around for a solid body arch top Bigsby. And knowing you, you might prefer a Floyd Rose f you plan on dive bombing, it doesn't work on a Bigsby. :P

Avatar image for MillenialFair99
MillenialFair99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 MillenialFair99
Member since 2010 • 2866 Posts

if you don't already know this, know that changing strings/changing tunings with a tremolo, is a *****. doing divebombs are cool and stuff, but getting frustrated changing strings is not :/

needled24-7
Oh my God, that is true about changing strings. I HATE THAT! :x
Samurai_Xavier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Samurai_Xavier
Member since 2003 • 4364 Posts

Personally I'd go with the Epiphone. I have a similar Epiphone Les Paul in blue and I love it. It just looks much better than the ESP. The ESP is too plain.

GHlegend77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 GHlegend77

needled24-7
I've actually had a Strat for a while, with a Floyd-Rose style tremolo on it. I've gotten used to it :P
GHlegend77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 GHlegend77

Get one of those. So you can sleep with it. SoraX64
Sora... my mood has been brightened a lot, thanks to this post. Thank you. Thank you.

admiralperry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 admiralperry

[QUOTE="needled24-7"]

GHlegend77

I've actually had a Strat for a while, with a Floyd-Rose style tremolo on it. I've gotten used to it :P

I don't find it that difficult, but changing strings on my SG or Les Paul is definitely easier.

needled24-7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 needled24-7
Member since 2007 • 15902 Posts

[QUOTE="needled24-7"]

GHlegend77

i see, then. well if you've demo'd both of them, you should just pick the one whose sound you like better :)

ultamite_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ultamite_gamer
Member since 2006 • 823 Posts
Hmm well to be honest, its best that you try to play both guitars to see how they feel and if they meet your guitar standards. You said you play grunge/alternative which contains anti solos, so a whammy bar would be needed. Vai and Satch use Floyd rose tremolos for dive bombs and such so thatch necessary as well. Bigsby can cost up to 300 to get and install, and they put your guitar out of tune pretty easily. They also do not bend upwards for dive bombs and such as the metal guys do. Judging by your style it seems like the ESP suites your style more. Grunge guys do tend to use fenders and gibsons primarily. Metal guys ESP,Ibenez, Dean, Sheckter etc.
SubGum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 SubGum
Member since 2003 • 1740 Posts
Yeah, just play them again and pick the one that makes you the happiest while playing.